What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (3 Viewers)

And only 10 out of the 57 Super Bowls did not have a QB starter drafted in the 1st round.
We can play around with any combination of things to try to prove a point. Since 2000, 24 of 48 quarterbacks that played in the SB were first round picks and 24 of 48 were not first round picks. Obviously, TB12 accounted for 10 of the 24, but the point is that half the time in more recent times one of the QBs has not been a first round pick.

their fifth round draft pick. But Sam has a chance to be a really good quarterback.
Odds by round of draftee turning into a Pro Bowl player over their career.
According to a study of eight years of draft data.

NFL Draft: Odds Of Getting A Pro Bowler, By Round, Years 2000-2007

Not broken out by position, for all positions so the odds of a QB 'may' be less than the average.

1st round - about 41%
2nd round - less than 1 in 5 under 20%
3rd round - less than 1 for every 15 players or under 6%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%
And only 10 out of the 57 Super Bowls did not have a QB starter drafted in the 1st round https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/
And Jackson was a 1st Rd QB, albeit #32, still a 1st
So 47 out of 57 Super Bowls you say, wonder how many Brady played in out of the 10 Super Bowls not featuring a 1st Rd QB
4 of them

And only 10 out of the 57 Super Bowls did not have a QB starter drafted in the 1st round.
We can play around with any combination of things to try to prove a point. Since 2000, 24 of 48 quarterbacks that played in the SB were first round picks and 24 of 48 were not first round picks. Obviously, TB12 accounted for 10 of the 24, but the point is that half the time in more recent times one of the QBs has not been a first round pick.
I like his stat better
Works stronger for my LJ narrative
:lol:

I like his stat better
I still think another correlation is QB pay / salary cap hit. Mahomes and Stafford had big paychecks in the last couple of Super Bowls, but IIRC, other SB winning QBs were generally not at the top of the market. I know people have discussed and debated this, but I will put that on my things to do list to research more thoroughly (if I can dig up the salary data).

still think another correlation is QB pay / salary cap hit. Mahomes and Stafford had big paychecks in the last couple of Super Bowls, but IIRC, other SB winning QBs were generally not at the top of the market. I know people have discussed and debated this, but I will put that on my things to do list to research more thoroughly (if I can dig up the salary data).
LINK
...Yahoo Sports compiled and analyzed 10 years of data on quarterback salaries, experience, performance and team success. Using numbers from Spotrac and Football Outsiders, we designed a metric to compare a given quarterback's performance to a salary-based expected performance. We hypothesized that we’d find a strong correlation between that metric — performance relative to salary — and winning.

Instead, we found a relatively weak correlation (R2 = 0.17), and a stronger one (R2 = 0.44) between QB performance alone and team success.

...Super Bowl champ. Of the NFL’s last 10 title winners, six paid their quarterbacks above the league average; four paid below it. ... On average, they paid smack dab in the league’s 50th percentile.

still think another correlation is QB pay / salary cap hit. Mahomes and Stafford had big paychecks in the last couple of Super Bowls, but IIRC, other SB winning QBs were generally not at the top of the market. I know people have discussed and debated this, but I will put that on my things to do list to research more thoroughly (if I can dig up the salary data).
LINK
...Yahoo Sports compiled and analyzed 10 years of data on quarterback salaries, experience, performance and team success. Using numbers from Spotrac and Football Outsiders, we designed a metric to compare a given quarterback's performance to a salary-based expected performance. We hypothesized that we’d find a strong correlation between that metric — performance relative to salary — and winning.

Instead, we found a relatively weak correlation (R2 = 0.17), and a stronger one (R2 = 0.44) between QB performance alone and team success.

...Super Bowl champ. Of the NFL’s last 10 title winners, six paid their quarterbacks above the league average; four paid below it. ... On average, they paid smack dab in the league’s 50th percentile.
Like anything else, a small sample size can skew things. IMO, what Yahoo researched would not hold true going back to the start of the salary cap / free agency era in 1994 (essentially triple the data set they used). Also, I believe there is a correlation to getting to conference games and the SB (ie, Final Four teams . . . not just SB winning teams). That's set is 4 times the data. So 3 x 4 = 12 times the data. Will have to dig into this more in the off season.

Lamar Jackson and his camp might be the biggest morons in NFL history.

What we are seeing is people thinking they are smarter than a good agent. This contract should have been done a year ago at least and instead Lamar is losing leverage by the minute, not to mention all that interest on the money he has already lost.

He effed up BADLY here, and it is sad to see. His family (if that is who is truly advising him) is screwing him. Big time.

I like his stat better
It's extremely limited data, but are you as interested in the data about QB's that run for 700-1000 yards per year to be effective and how well they age?

I've been through that in this thread and you didn't seem to be as much of a stat lover then.

I believe this conversation started with somebody saying Sam Howell will never amount to anything because he was a 5th round pick. Maybe he won't, but he wouldn't be the first. Jackson would absolutely be the first 1000 yard running QB to be worth a massive deal into his 30's.

I'm not saying Sam won't or that Lamar won't. Just pointing that somebody has to bet $230 mill guaranteed (and 2 1st round draft picks) for Lamar to do something that has never been done before.

their fifth round draft pick. But Sam has a chance to be a really good quarterback.

Not broken out by position, for all positions so the odds of a QB 'may' be less than the average.

1st round - about 41%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%
And only 10 out of the 57 Super Bowls did not have a QB starter drafted in the 1st round https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/
That's good stuff.

How many had a QB that ever ran for 1000 yards in season? Or even 700?

How about 30+ year old QBs that ever ran for 1000 yards in a season?

You guys are focusing on historical trends here. And that's smart.

That's also what Baltimore is doing. And seemingly the rest of the league (although I think somebody will pony up).

Last edited:
I like his stat better
It's extremely limited data, but are you as interested in the data about QB's that run for 700-1000 yards per year to be effective and how well they age?

I've been through that in this thread and you didn't seem to be as much of a stat lover then.

I believe this conversation started with somebody saying Sam Howell will never amount to anything because he was a 5th round pick. Maybe he won't, but he wouldn't be the first. Jackson would absolutely be the first 1000 yard running QB to be worth a massive deal into his 30's.

I'm not saying Sam won't or that Lamar won't. Just pointing that somebody has to bet $230 mill guaranteed (and 2 1st round draft picks) for Lamar to do something that has never been done before.
I was wondering if anyone would ever make a Michael Vick comparison, only one I can think of.

1st round - about 41%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%
That's good stuff.

That's also what Baltimore is doing. And seemingly the rest of the league (although I think somebody will pony up).
Someone on NFL Network a few days ago summed it up succinctly IMO when they said a big part of Lamar's ability is his mobility and that's a rapidly declining asset.

1st round - about 41%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%
That's good stuff.

Someone on NFL Network a few days ago summed it up succinctly IMO when they said a big part of Lamar's ability is his mobility and that's a rapidly declining asset.
I just heard on the Rob Parker radio show on FOX that Lamar is a "sure thing" versus draft picks..... Lamar has missed ~1/3rd of the game sthe last 2 seasons? And worse post November?

That he wasn't signed today I think might tell us what we need to know.
That he's in his first day of talking to other teams?
That's he's patient enough to wait for the best deal he can get?
or
That's he's blacklisted?
Not sure what you're meaning there.

That he's in his first day of talking to other teams?
That's he's patient enough to wait for the best deal he can get?
or
That's he's blacklisted?
Not sure what you're meaning there.
Riiiiight :lmao:

Patience? His best deal past him by imo.

Blacklisted - from playing the meaningful part of the last 2 seasons? Fair. From scoring more than 20 points in a playoff game? I dig it.

Last edited:
In hindsight it appears our blacklisted stud has averaged 22 points in his 1-3 record in the playoffs.
Not sure what you mean by 22 points. In Jackson's 4 career playoff starts, the Ravens averaged 13 ppg. Do you mean Lamar averaged 22 fantasy ppg in the playoffs?

In hindsight it appears our blacklisted stud has averaged 22 points in his 1-3 record in the playoffs.
Not sure what you mean by 22 points. In Jackson's 4 career playoff starts, the Ravens averaged 13 ppg. Do you mean Lamar averaged 22 fantasy ppg in the playoffs?

Would guess so. 367-1 on the ground with 900-3-5 in the air sounds close enough depending on scoring settings. As an aside upon checking that, I did see he was sacked 19 times in those 4 games, which seems like a lot

Less than half of all first round QBs make it.
Every second spent developing a rookie holds back playoff caliber teams. If a QB doesn't develop a franchise is typically set back years.
If a QB develops the franchise may find itself in the same place the Ravens are right now. Facing an impasse on a second contract.
Every NFL player faces injury risk.
Players who play great and earn a second contract and become one of the best may simply decide to retire early like Andrew Luck.

Not sure what others think but I think drafting a rookie QB is risky.

:fishy:
Riiiiight :lmao:

Patience? His best deal past him by imo.

Blacklisted - from playing the meaningful part of the last 2 seasons? Fair. From scoring more than 20 points in a playoff game? I dig it.

Less than half of all first round QBs make it.
Every second spent developing a rookie holds back playoff caliber teams. If a QB doesn't develop a franchise is typically set back years.
If a QB develops the franchise may find itself in the same place the Ravens are right now. Facing an impasse on a second contract.
Every NFL player faces injury risk.
Players who play great and earn a second contract and become one of the best may simply decide to retire early like Andrew Luck.

Not sure what others think but I think drafting a rookie QB is risky.

The flip side of that is they could reset the franchise potentially and 50% go on to be effective. That's even higher for higher picks.

Lamar has painted himself into a corner of his own doing. he's lost a lot of his power and has ton to prove if and when he is signed/traded

Not sure what you consider 'effective'. Maybe:
Making the playoffs in four of your five years in the league.
The second player in NFL history to unanimously win the MVP award (Jim Brown)
Youngest 1st Team All-Pro quarterback in league history.
1,206 rushing yards the most for any quarterback in NFL history at any age.
113.3 season passer rating is a record-high at his age.
Only player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 30 TDs.
NFL record for most wins (35) under age 25.
etc. et. el...

Not sure what you consider 'effective'. Maybe:
Making the playoffs in four of your five years in the league.
The second player in NFL history to unanimously win the MVP award (Jim Brown)
Youngest 1st Team All-Pro quarterback in league history.
1,206 rushing yards the most for any quarterback in NFL history at any age.
113.3 season passer rating is a record-high at his age.
Only player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 30 TDs.
NFL record for most wins (35) under age 25.
etc. et. el...

These all happened in 2019, 4 years ago:
  • The second player in NFL history to unanimously win the MVP award (Jim Brown)
  • Youngest 1st Team All-Pro quarterback in league history.
  • 1,206 rushing yards the most for any quarterback in NFL history at any age.
  • 113.3 season passer rating is a record-high at his age.
  • Only player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 30 TDs.
He has not come close to that level of performance in the succeeding 3 seasons, plus he has missed a lot of important games since then due to injury. Making his 2019 season the centerpiece of his argument for a top of market contract that is fully (or nearly fully) guaranteed isn't a very strong argument.

What we are seeing is people thinking they are smarter than a good agent.
This contract should have been done a year ago at least and instead Lamar is losing leverage by the minute, not to mention all that interest on the money he has already lost.

He effed up BADLY here, and it is sad to see. His family (if that is who is truly advising him) is screwing him. Big time
Jacoby Brissett is his own agent and just got the best deal he's ever had, based on about 3/4 of last season's play. So it's not automatic that someone working as his own agent is screwing up.

Jacoby Brissett is his own agent and just got the best deal he's ever had, based on about 3/4 of last season's play.
It’s like hiring a real estate agent, no offense to any out there. You’re just throwing insane amounts of money away based off a practice that was done far before technology and the internet/education made it feasible for everybody who is mildly intelligent to do it. Lamar doesn’t need an agent, he just has to know what his market value is.

Jacoby Brissett is his own agent and just got the best deal he's ever had, based on about 3/4 of last season's play.
It’s like hiring a real estate agent, no offense to any out there. You’re just throwing insane amounts of money away based off a practice that was done far before technology and the internet/education made it feasible for everybody who is mildly intelligent to do it. Lamar doesn’t need an agent, he just has to know what his market value is.
Negotiating your contract is one thing. There is a lot of boilerplate language available and, if you put the work in, you can learn the rest. It's a smart move for a guy like Brissett.

But negotiating contracts isn't all agents do. Where are Lamar's national endorsement deals? Where is his Nike shoe? Why wasn't he telling me how I can save an average of $623 if I switch to Geico?

After his MVP season he should have had at least a few major deals that would have put him on my TV screen incessantly for at least one full season, if not two.

An agent would have done the hard work to land him those deals. And keep them rolling in. Lamar doesn't have the time, or the rolodex, for that. Evidenced by the fact that he failed to capitalize on a major earnings opportunity. Did he at least get the 2020 Madden cover? Do players even get paid for that?

A guy like Brissett doesn't need to worry about that on nearly the same level. I am sure the local car dealer and he can hammer out those deals just fine. But Lamar left a huge chunk of money on the table by being unrepresented after his MVP season.

He should have been on his way to accumulating generational wealth long before he needed to negotiate this contract.

He is going to end up with a lot of money regardless but without an agent it will only be a larger piece of a significantly smaller pie.

He is going to end up with a lot of money regardless but without an agent it will only be a larger piece of a significantly smaller pie.
Who? Brissett or Jackson?
We're talking NFL players here, quarterbacks in this case.
Why is Brissett being his own agent different that Jackson being his own agent?
Being your own agent up til $XXX million, but then not being your own agent above that level ---- I'm not clear on how this is decided.

Who? Brissett or Jackson?
We're talking NFL players here, quarterbacks in this case.
Why is Brissett being his own agent different that Jackson being his own agent?
Being your own agent up til $XXX million, but then not being your own agent above that level ---- I'm not clear on how this is decided.
I thought I was clear on that.

Agents don't just negotiate contracts with NFL teams, they market their clients trying to bring them to a wider audience.

Brissett doesn't have the marketability of Jackson and it isn't even close.

Brissett mostly needs to negotiate NFL contracts. He can probably handle that just fine on his own. LegalZoom probably has a framework for the type of contract a journeyman QB needs. But he's never going to be a household name. He's not that player, those marketing opportunities simply do not exist for him.

Jackson has (had?) the opportunity to become a national brand. He failed to capitalize on that opportunity, so far, because it's really difficult to pull off. Agents do that work.

Sure, fine, maybe Lamar can handle his contract negotiations, maybe not considering he has not landed the plane yet. His contract is very different than the one that a guy like Brissett has to negotiate. He may be out of his depth on a lot of levels, particularly when it comes to recognizing his value.

Brissett and Lamar have dramatically different needs.

What we are seeing is people thinking they are smarter than a good agent.
This contract should have been done a year ago at least and instead Lamar is losing leverage by the minute, not to mention all that interest on the money he has already lost.

He effed up BADLY here, and it is sad to see. His family (if that is who is truly advising him) is screwing him. Big time
Jacoby Brissett is his own agent and just got the best deal he's ever had, based on about 3/4 of last season's play. So it's not automatic that someone working as his own agent is screwing up.

This isn't true (his contract with the Colts was certainly better), but even if it were it wouldn't necessarily mean he was better off being his own agent. And, even if both were true, that wouldn't necessarily apply to Lamar and his vastly different situation.

Pretty poor logic.

an agent might be worth it to Lamar if only to provide him with some sort of reality check on his market value by someone at least less biased

Negotiating your contract is one thing. There is a lot of boilerplate language available and, if you put the work in, you can learn the rest. It's a smart move for a guy like Brissett.

But negotiating contracts isn't all agents do. Where are Lamar's national endorsement deals? Where is his Nike shoe? Why wasn't he telling me how I can save an average of $623 if I switch to Geico?

After his MVP season he should have had at least a few major deals that would have put him on my TV screen incessantly for at least one full season, if not two.

An agent would have done the hard work to land him those deals. And keep them rolling in. Lamar doesn't have the time, or the rolodex, for that. Evidenced by the fact that he failed to capitalize on a major earnings opportunity. Did he at least get the 2020 Madden cover? Do players even get paid for that?

A guy like Brissett doesn't need to worry about that on nearly the same level. I am sure the local car dealer and he can hammer out those deals just fine. But Lamar left a huge chunk of money on the table by being unrepresented after his MVP season.

He should have been on his way to accumulating generational wealth long before he needed to negotiate this contract.

You are right about endorsement deals, I didn’t consider that, was only talking contracts but that’s pretty spot-on for a player of his caliber.

You are right about endorsement deals, I didn’t consider that, was only talking contracts but that’s pretty spot-on for a player of his caliber.
NFL player endorsement deals are not as lucrative as some assume unless you are Tom Brady or Pat Mahomes or from a big Market with a rabid following like Dak or a SB winner like Matt Stafford, Rodgers, or Russ Wilson.
No one comes close to Brady who earned:
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $52 million
Next was Patrick Mahomes:
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $20 million
Russell Wilson
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $14 million
Dak earned:
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $12 million
Aaron Rodgers:
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $11 million
Josh Allen:
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $4 million
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:
  • Endorsement Money, Past 12 Months: $2.5 million
I don't know exactly how much Lamar 'could' earn, but it would 'probably' be in the Matt Stafford/Josh Allen range or below.
EDIT: I've seen many times the 'typical' NFL agent charges a commission of 6% and everything I've seen shows a range of 4 to 8 percent so 6% is the 'average'.
Lamar does not have to pay an agent so if gets in the range of over/under $200 million he will have saved $12 which is roughly $10 million more than what he 'likely' would have earned with endorsements.

Last edited:
It is fairly obvious to us now that this is exactly where his mistakes occurred. And exactly why a real estate agent hates to have the owner present when showing a house.

NFL player endorsement deals are not as lucrative as some assume unless you are Tom Brady or Pat Mahomes or from a big Market with a rabid following like Dak or a SB winner like Matt Stafford, Rodgers, or Russ Wilson.
Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:
I don't know exactly how much Lamar 'could' earn, but it would 'probably' be in the Matt Stafford/Josh Allen range or below.
EDIT: I've seen many times the 'typical' NFL agent charges a commission of 6% and everything I've seen shows a range of 4 to 8 percent so 6% is the 'average'.
Lamar does not have to pay an agent so if gets in the range of over/under $200 million he will have saved $12 which is roughly $10 million more than what he 'likely' would have earned with endorsements.

I’m surprised at how little Allen has earned, even given that he’s in a small market.
But an agent isn’t just about lining up deals. I suspect, if Lamar were interested, he’d be one of the more marketable QBs other than Mahomes and Brady. Similar to Wilson before 2022 if he wanted to put some time in to being more than “just a player”. Of course he might not want to anyway.

Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:

Where's Baker Mayfield come in at?

Where's Baker Mayfield come in at?
Wasn't in the top-ten when the list was made last year and the bottom ten was in the $1 million dollar range.
An agent has to work long hours to get one of those endorsements because of all of the legal stipulations/restraints placed on NFL athletes where there are moral clauses, no-compete clauses, they are limited by insurance clauses from doing certain things, etc., so it takes a rep but at the same time he stands to make much more by acting as his own agent even if he signs for what the Ravens already have on the table over what he'd make in endorsements.

Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:
So you're trying to argue that this generational talent/unanimous MVP deserves to be the highest paid player in NFL history, but he would only be worth a fraction of what these inferior QBs are in endorsements (also, see how much Cam made)? And you account for his entire contract for his "savings" from not using an agent but only 1 incredibly underestimated year for what he would have earned in endorsements in your "comparison?"

That's some serious MOP math...

Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:
I think I found the source of your numbers (yahoo), which are estimates of course but good enough. I think you miss the importance of social media presence when determining potential endorsement value.

He almost doubles up Allen with 1.1m twitter followers and has almost 10x Stafford's 12k followers. He falls short of Dak (1.5m), Mahomes (2.2m) and Wilson (5.6m :shock: ), Rodgers (4.6m) & Brady (3m). Had he capitalized in his earlier success he would likely be closer to $8-10 mil/year today.

Heck, Matt Ryan Drew $10 mil/year for a couple after his MVP season.

Managing social media engagement is another value add agent's bring to the table.

Why isn't Lamar's mug all over billboards and magazine full pages in Japan slinging whiskey or Tag Heuer watches?

Because he doesn't have an agent.

Last edited:
Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:
I think I found the source of your numbers (yahoo), which are estimates of course but good enough. I think you miss the importance of social media presence when determining potential endorsement value.

He almost doubles up Allen with 1.1m twitter followers and has almost 10x Stafford's 12k followers. He falls short of Dak (1.5m), Mahomes (2.2m) and Wilson (5.6m :shock: ). I didn't check Rodgers & Mahomes. Had he capitalized in his earlier success he would likely be closer to $8-10 mil/year today.

Managing social media engagement is another value add agent's bring to the table.

Why isn't Lamar's mug all over billboards and magazine full pages in Japan slinging whiskey or Tag Heuer watches?

Wilson seemed to be more interested in celebrity life, with football being his launch point. His book was unimpressive.

Lamar made $9.4 mil on his rookie contract, $23 mil on his 5th year option (would have been significantly more had he signed an extension) and is set to make $32 mil this season. He's got plenty of cash, now.

I am not sure what he is endorsing now, he had a deal with Oakley in 2020, so it's not nothing I hope.

But he should have an additional $20-$40 mil in off field revenue since 2019.

He needs to fire his mother.

Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:

He almost doubles up Allen with 1.1m twitter followers and has almost 10x Stafford's 12k followers. He falls short of Dak (1.5m), Mahomes (2.2m) and Wilson (5.6m :shock: ). I didn't check Rodgers & Mahomes. Had he capitalized in his earlier success he would likely be closer to $8-10 mil/year today.

Wilson seemed to be more interested in celebrity life, with football being his launch point. His book was unimpressive.
But, apparently you read it.

Russell Wilson
Dak earned:
Aaron Rodgers:
Josh Allen:
See the trend?

Matt Stafford:

But, apparently you read it.
Yes, I did. Recommend others learn from that mistake.

Yeah, I have done a little looking and the only endorsement deals I can find for Lamar is Oakley, which I am not even sure is current.

Other than that he has his own apparel company Era 8. Judging from his Instagram page (@era8apparel) and website (https://era8apparel.com/) must rake in...dozens of dollars annually.

Dude needs to fire mom.

an agent might be worth it to Lamar if only to provide him with some sort of reality check on his market value by someone at least less biased
I agree with that if it's a good agent.
There are certainly agents who've cost their clients money through bad advice. But for what you're talking about, and agent could help him gauge his value in advertising and endorsements and present the choices to him.

It's odd how few commercials Jackson has been in in the Baltimore market where he's almost revered. I don't know if that's lost business opportunities or just a choice he has made.

Or it could be his personal choice. There are a few NFL players who don't do what's expected to maximize their value. Remember all the crap Joe Thomas took on this board and elsewhere for not attending the NFL draft. He chose to go fishing with his dad instead. People are different.

Users who are viewing this thread