What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (6 Viewers)

I think it much more likely that he goes the route that MoP laid out: delay signing the tender until the last minute (there really isn't much incentive for him to sign it any sooner). This is not what the Ravens want. It would be best for both parts to split the difference wherever they left off negotiations and get the deal done.

It would shock me if he went the same route as Bell. That situation is all negative for him:
  • He would forego making $32M and will never get that earning year back
  • His rights would still belong to Baltimore up until next year's tag deadline, so they could just tag him again and be right back in this situation
  • He would lose a year in his prime, which means losing a shot at honors/awards, statistics (if he cares), and, most importantly, winning a championship
  • He would hurt his franchise and teammates; I could see him wanting to hurt the Ravens franchise over this, but this would only further damage his reputation IMO
So I agree that it is much more likely he signs the tag sooner or later.
How much of that matters if he is in another city on another team playing for a coach who sought him out?
Yeah, not the most intelligent situation Lamar has found himself in, but some of it is the NFLPA role in pushing "guarantees".
MoP has valid points on his expectation.

The scenario I was talking about was him sitting out 2023 and being back in this situation a year from now. How NFL owners and front offices view him going that route could absolutely negatively impact his reputation and thus his market.
Yes he would be very idiotic to hold out, if indeed the goal is money.

Schefter proclaims that the Ravens offered...
$200M Guaranteed prior to the '22 season and Jackson turned it down...hmmm

Lamar Jackson
-Denies that to be the case and has for several weeks
-LJ claims on his Twitter "$133M/3yrs fully guaranteed 😒 but I need a agent? 🤣"

Lamar on the twitters trying to push back on idea he needs an agent by insinuating he was offered $133m/3 fully guaranteed.

If true, he needs an agent worse then he realizes if if he thinks coming in less then Watson in APY and total guarantees constitutes victory.
I THINK he is trying to say that the Schefter report that he turned down 200M guaranteed is inaccurate.

Lamar on the twitters trying to push back on idea he needs an agent by insinuating he was offered $133m/3 fully guaranteed.

If true, he needs an agent worse then he realizes if if he thinks coming in less then Watson in APY and total guarantees constitutes victory.
I THINK he is trying to say that the Schefter report that he turned down 200M guaranteed is inaccurate.
Yeah I think so. Maybe he's saying he turned down 3/$133g and 4/$200 g is something he would accept.

Schefter proclaims that the Ravens offered...
$200M Guaranteed prior to the '22 season and Jackson turned it down...hmmm

Lamar Jackson
-Denies that to be the case and has for several weeks
-LJ claims on his Twitter "$133M/3yrs fully guaranteed 😒 but I need a agent? 🤣"

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, there are different types of guarantees, so this language is too imprecise to be meaningful.

@zeeshan2 posted a link to this on the previous page:

Sarah Ellison
@sgellison

Adam Schefter gives the most details yet on Ravens’ offer to Lamar Jackson last yr:

Fully gtd at signing: $133M
Injury gtd: $175M
Total gtd: $200M

“Those guarantees were way more than what Kyler Murray got from AZ. Way more than Russell Wilson.”

I see no reason to doubt this information, despite Jackson's Twitter denials.

Let's recap a little and set expectations for tomorrow.

When we heard Lamar was hitting RFA and a bunch of teams used their media contacts to quickly shoot down any interest a lot of us thought that was really odd to do without ever speaking to Lamar, especially because he does not have an agent that you can back channel with like during the combine. Then the push-back started with several here saying to be patient, does no good to give your intentions away, etc, etc. I've heard both sides in the national media as well.

Well here are the teams I recall quickly, via beat writers, getting word out they were not going after Lamar.

Dolphins:

Exercised Tua's 5th year option, signed Mike White.

Conclusion: OUT

Panthers:

Traded for 1.1

Falcons:

Gave Hienicke solid backup money which you don't need to do if you got Riddder as the #2 and then chewed up a lot of cap space on other signings

Raiders:

Signed Jimmy G

Jets:

I actually don't recall if they were one of the teams that got word out of not being interested but even if they did not we already know everything is set for Rodgers to join them so they are OUT.

That leaves one team left that word came out they were NOT interested in pursuing Lamar and that is Washington who some very credible people I follow insist they are not going after him.

Which leads me to conclude we got the info we needed to know those teams were not in fact publicly posturing. They were in fact not at all interested in Lamar.

And this brings me to my last point. Who is left that is a serious candidate to have any interest in Lamar? Colts is about only viable team I can even come up, unless the credible reporting I'm getting on Washington not being interested is not accurate. Tampa has no money, maybe you could build a case for Tennessee. That's it, that seems to be the market.

I'm going to say right now unless the Colts make him an offer then no one will other then of course the Ravens.

****ing ******** right here. Every one of those teams would've been better off doing what it took to get Lamar Jackson - a bonafide superstar, and yet they all decided they'd be better off going alternative routes - most of which are significantly worse - Heineke/Ridder, The Grop, Tua, that 5th round Commando QB?!? Yeah, right, no collusion here.

And this brings me to my last point. Who is left that is a serious candidate to have any interest in Lamar? Colts is about only viable team I can even come up, unless the credible reporting I'm getting on Washington not being interested is not accurate. Tampa has no money, maybe you could build a case for Tennessee. That's it, that seems to be the market.
Colts and Tennessee are really only candidates and both seem unlikely for different reasons.

I really thought Atlanta would consider it, and while Heineke doesn’t 100% rule them out - I have to agree it would make no sense capwise or personal wise unless he’s just strictly insurance against Baltimore matching.

And the Jets never ruled Jackson out, but they didn’t comment about him at all. It seemed the Jets and Rodgers were predetermined.

Colts and Tennessee are really only candidates and both seem unlikely for different reasons.

I really thought Atlanta would consider it, and while Heineke doesn’t 100% rule them out - I have to agree it would make no sense capwise or personal wise unless he’s just strictly insurance against Baltimore matching.
The Colts clearing cap space out with a few moves today is only reason I listed them as a viable team, also they were not one of the teams to get word out about not being interested.

Atlanta is the one it's most difficult to come to grips with not making any move for him. Whether they like it or not I feel like they are going to be linked with Lamar and how he does over the next few years vs Ridder or whatever they got at QB.

It won't be the Colts unless there's a tag and trade worked out. No way I see them giving pick 4 and another 1st while giving a huge contract.
I still think Ljax just stays in Baltimore anyway.

I still think Ljax just stays in Baltimore anyway.
Agree and it looks like the Ravens played this perfectly with their use of the non-exclusive tag.

Really a matter to me of if Lamar is going to play on the tag or sign an extension. I feel like he's backed into an extension now but he might be next level stubborn/insistent.

Talking heads are going to have a field day with the collusion talk.

Riddle me this, if Baltimore is balking at the $200 million guaranteed money (let's just assume that's true for now), why would another team pay that AND give up 2 first round picks?

They should, if they're doing their jobs and not fronting for teams or reading ignorantly from text presented to them 5 minutes before broadcast. For example, Washington needs a QB pretty badly (they're gambling on a 5th round pick starting), but what are they doing instead of at least talking with Jackson?

The #Commanders were the team that reached out to recently retired Chiefs QB Chad Henne and offered him a contract, per @Matthew_Paras

Last edited:
They should, if they're doing their jobs and not fronting for teams or reading ignorantly from text presented to them 5 minutes before broadcast. For example, Washington needs a QB pretty badly (they're gambling on a 5th round pick starting), but what are they doing instead of at least talking with Jackson?

The #Commanders were the team that reached out to recently retired Chiefs QB Chad Henne and offered him a contract, per @Matthew_Paras

Washington is selling the franchise, and there has been talk that Snyder could be challenged to put $200M into escrow for guarantees. I could see that situation as being enough that they legitimately might not have interest.

Washington is selling the franchise, and there has been talk that Snyder could be challenged to put $200M into escrow for guarantees. I could see that situation as being enough that they legitimately might not have interest.
I understand that, thanks. But there's absolutely no reliable speculation about what Dan Snyder is or is not going to do, or is able to do. Meanwhile the Commanders have been releasing, signing, re-signing, and extending offers to numerous players, just as other teams do. They're obviously not limited right now in their personnel decisions.

I understand that, thanks. But there's absolutely no reliable speculation about what Dan Snyder is or is not going to do, or is able to do. Meanwhile the Commanders have been releasing, signing, re-signing, and extending offers to numerous players, just as other teams do. They're obviously not limited right now in their personnel decisions.

Are you suggesting that they have been committing $200M+ to these other players they are signing and re-signing? If not, I don't think you are really providing a relevant counterpoint here.

Quincy Carrier
@Kwen_C

... the Ravens tried to structure a good chunk of these "guarantees" into incentives which aren't real guarantees don't provide the same security past the 3 years that are fully guaranteed would.
so
1. if all he wants is the 5 years fully guaranteed then he is actually asking for LESS money then Watson not MORE like whats been assumed
2 also would be less of a cap hit then Kyler Murray over 5 years this sound like a win win for Lamar and the Team BUT

incentive based guarantees don't have to go in escrow cause you know they aren't real guarantees
so what's holding this up, probably that the Ravens Owner just doesn't want to put that money in escrow. say what you want about Jimmy but he ain't bout to make the team worse or ruin a relationship with it's best player because he too cheap to put money in the bank

There are a lot of reasons I wouldn't say Washington not making an offer is some evidence of collusion.

Let's say there is collusion.....

A) Dan Snyder would absolutely be the first one to break ranks and tell the other owners to go screw themselves.

B) He'd have the recordings or emails of evidence somewhere.

Which is why he probably wasn't invited to the ****official collusion meeting****. Which which is one of the 1,000 reasons why him not making an offer is not evidence of collusion.

But none of that really matters. Everybody keeps pupu-ing their fifth round draft pick. But Sam has a chance to be a really good quarterback. If he is, there are few better scenarios in the NFL than having a good starting quarterback that was a fifth round pick.

****ing ******** right here. Every one of those teams would've been better off doing what it took to get Lamar Jackson - a bonafide superstar, and yet they all decided they'd be better off going alternative routes - most of which are significantly worse - Heineke/Ridder, The Grop, Tua, that 5th round Commando QB?!? Yeah, right, no collusion here.
Or it could be one of the many other logical reasons.

-a lot of teams have spent big money on quarterback contracts over the last couple years. Reduces the number of options.

-nearly every team that's given out of big quarterback contract over the last couple years is probably regretting it right now.

-teams without Patrick Mahomes and Joe Burrow are often finding themselves better off with cheaper options at quarterback

-solid quarterback draft this year and a fantastic one next year.

All of that makes much more sense than the theory that every NFL team has actively decided to try not to win.

Riddle me this, if Baltimore is balking at the $200 million guaranteed money (let's just assume that's true for now), why would another team pay that AND give up 2 first round picks?
Same reason teams traded for Tyreek and Adams and also gave them big contracts.
it's a fair point, i guess i'm looking at that ask of that amount of guaranteed money as not reasonable, but we will see how it all plays out.

Same reason teams traded for Tyreek and Adams and also gave them big contracts.
Right. Sometimes a team thinks they can do better with the player than their previous team.
Commanders and Lions make a bit of sense imo. Goff has been good enough all things considered but he’s probably not bringing them a title and just maybe could be worth trading. 1.18 and next Year’s first seems fair s as would 1.16 and next years first.

The NFL watched AZ, CLE, and DEN jump off that cliff last year. I wouldn't go running off the edge either.

their fifth round draft pick. But Sam has a chance to be a really good quarterback.
Odds by round of draftee turning into a Pro Bowl player over their career.
According to a study of eight years of draft data.

NFL Draft: Odds Of Getting A Pro Bowler, By Round, Years 2000-2007

Not broken out by position, for all positions so the odds of a QB 'may' be less than the average.

1st round - about 41%
2nd round - less than 1 in 5 under 20%
3rd round - less than 1 for every 15 players or under 6%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%

:thanks:

Let's recap a little and set expectations for tomorrow.

When we heard Lamar was hitting RFA and a bunch of teams used their media contacts to quickly shoot down any interest a lot of us thought that was really odd to do without ever speaking to Lamar, especially because he does not have an agent that you can back channel with like during the combine. Then the push-back started with several here saying to be patient, does no good to give your intentions away, etc, etc. I've heard both sides in the national media as well.

Well here are the teams I recall quickly, via beat writers, getting word out they were not going after Lamar.

Dolphins:

Exercised Tua's 5th year option, signed Mike White.

Panthers:

Traded for 1.1

Falcons:

Gave Hienicke solid backup money which you don't need to do if you got Riddder as the #2 and then chewed up a lot of cap space on other signings

Raiders:

Signed Jimmy G

Jets:

I actually don't recall if they were one of the teams that got word out of not being interested but even if they did not we already know everything is set for Rodgers to join them so they are OUT.

That leaves one team left that word came out they were NOT interested in pursuing Lamar and that is Washington who some very credible people I follow insist they are not going after him.

Which leads me to conclude we got the info we needed to know those teams were not in fact publicly posturing. They were in fact not at all interested in Lamar.

I'm going to say right now unless the Colts make him an offer then no one will other then of course the Ravens.

The Colts clearing cap space out with a few moves today is only reason I listed them as a viable team, also they were not one of the teams to get word out about not being interested.

Atlanta is the one it's most difficult to come to grips with not making any move for him. Whether they like it or not I feel like they are going to be linked with Lamar and how he does over the next few years vs Ridder or whatever they got at QB.

Great posting as usual, I wanted to add about the cap space and why i feel teams can say anything they want right now entering the Draft.
Once the '23 Draft ends, and after free agency, there is plenty of time for teams to make a run at him. Jackson doesn't have to sign that tag for quite a while without any penalties
Even teams that would appear to have cap issues, they can do similar as Cleveland and start with a $1M base salary and a gigantic signing bonus spread out or counted against the next year's cap, it's all funny money these days. Miami was over the cap pretty bad and then suddenly in comes Jalen Ramsey

Miami is making bold moves, perhaps they aren't done yet.

Tampa has no money
Tampa has little cap space this year, but plenty going forward. They could structure it to give him 5M this year and a lot more in future years.

Not saying they will do it but that’s not the reason why.
Now that's some forward thinking and definitely should be discussed. If we can't get him home in Miami, I'd have to get season tickets again for the Bucs, love watching this guy.
I think he would mesh with Godwin and Evans. The Bucs have an All Pro at Right Tackle, they need to work on their OL but the bones are there for them to restructure this offense.
I'm not fond of Todd Bowles as Head Coach so there's a limit to how good the Bucs can actually be.

Exactly what you say about the salary cap, Bucs can pay him like Cleveland paid Watson and keep his base salary low in '23, the cap is escalating quite a lot over the next couple seasons, not that risky to backload it or anticipate a large salary in '24. I would love it if they tried to go get him even if they failed or were the team the Ravens matched.

Tampa has no money
Tampa has little cap space this year, but plenty going forward. They could structure it to give him 5M this year and a lot more in future years.

Now that's some forward thinking and definitely should be discussed. If we can't get him home in Miami, I'd have to get season tickets again for the Bucs, love watching this guy.
I think he would mesh with Godwin and Evans. The Bucs have an All Pro at Right Tackle, they need to work on their OL but the bones are there for them to restructure this offense.
I'm not fond of Todd Bowles as Head Coach so there's a limit to how good the Bucs can actually be.

Exactly what you say about the salary cap, Bucs can pay him like Cleveland paid Watson and keep his base salary low in '23, the cap is escalating quite a lot over the next couple seasons, not that risky to backload it or anticipate a large salary in '24. I would love it if they tried to go get him even if they failed or were the team the Ravens matched.
I can’t believe the Bucs aren’t being talked about more. People think the Glazers are going to go from Brady to Trask or Mayfield without a fight? I don’t see it. They’ve always thought of themselves as people who go after the big names (Parcells twice, Gruden, Brady, talking Arians out of retirement) so this would fit with their style.

Tampa has no money

would not surprise me at all if TB is planning on making an offer Baltimore and Lamar can't refuse

Tampa is rebuilding. This is what happens when you go all in with Brady and have to eat $35M in cap space in a single year. That they could have spread that out but chose not to was a clear sign of their intention to rebuild. Never saw them as viable contenders for Lamar.

These markets are so weird... "Don't Pay RBs" doesn't mean you don't pay elite RBs, yet Barkley has to play on a franchise tag and Austin Ekeler might get traded. Until WRs put their foot down last year, no one wanted to pay the young elite WRs like AJ Brown/Tyshun Samuel/DK Metcalf. The QB market has been overpaid for years and we've seen more examples of it this off-season... yet Lamar Jackson can't even get a mention?

I mean if I'm going to overpay a QB AND give up picks (which you'd do if you traded for a QB anyway), might as well do it for an MVP-level talent that can put a team on his back.

EDIT: I almost hope Rodgers announces he's retiring so the Jets would have to pivot to Lamar Jackson.

These markets are so weird... "Don't Pay RBs" doesn't mean you don't pay elite RBs, yet Barkley has to play on a franchise tag and Austin Ekeler might get traded. Until WRs put their foot down last year, no one wanted to pay the young elite WRs like AJ Brown/Tyshun Samuel/DK Metcalf. The QB market has been overpaid for years and we've seen more examples of it this off-season... yet Lamar Jackson can't even get a mention?

I mean if I'm going to overpay a QB AND give up picks (which you'd do if you traded for a QB anyway), might as well do it for an MVP-level talent that can put a team on his back.

EDIT: I almost hope Rodgers announces he's retiring so the Jets would have to pivot to Lamar Jackson.
And that's why as a Miami fan I am mildly happy it's Rodgers vs Jackson
Miami can still turn the apple cart over after the Draft when they would be equipped with the necessary 2 1st Rd picks.
Forget the cap, it's all monopoly money as these teams show us time and time again.
Miami could pay him a $1M salary his 1st season if there is a cap issue, in fact all 31 teams can implore the same strategy post draft if they want to get involved.

Good to see fans asking the question, why not Lamar for my team?
Lot of fans have bought into the reasons their franchise owners won't get involved, it's nonsense.

Lot of fans have bought into the reasons their franchise owners won't get involved, it's nonsense.
The owners don't want to fully guarantee deals, they like the system where they can add void years, and phony money at the end, and the players get thrown the sorry bone of being able to announce a 4 year deal at 20 MILLION PER YEAR, when everyone knows the real numbers aren't close.

The only reason a bunch of teams aren't in on him is they don't want to cement the precedent of fully guaranteed deals. Which really, is a GREAT reason. These teams would have to suddenly escrow a lot more money, and none of them want to do that, even the ones who can afford it. None of the owners want to do that.

Maybe they do away with the escrow thing, or teams only have to escrow a year out or something. it's an antiquated system.

Was just reading back through the first couple of hundred posts of the thread to check something re: pre-draft, and while hindsight is 20/20 there are several blinding takes in there

The owners don't want to fully guarantee deals, they like the system where they can add void years, and phony money at the end, and the players get thrown the sorry bone of being able to announce a 4 year deal at 20 MILLION PER YEAR, when everyone knows the real numbers aren't close.

The only reason a bunch of teams aren't in on him is they don't want to cement the precedent of fully guaranteed deals. Which really, is a GREAT reason. These teams would have to suddenly escrow a lot more money, and none of them want to do that, even the ones who can afford it. None of the owners want to do that.

Maybe they do away with the escrow thing, or teams only have to escrow a year out or something. it's an antiquated system.
The current system is owners signing massive fake deals and "re-structuring" money in the most BS ways it'd make other tax cheats blush. No other sport does this to the degree the NFL does; eff this system. They should have a rule you can only restructure a contract one in the player's contract/only have 2-3 restructure a season.

their fifth round draft pick. But Sam has a chance to be a really good quarterback.

Not broken out by position, for all positions so the odds of a QB 'may' be less than the average.

1st round - about 41%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%
And only 10 out of the 57 Super Bowls did not have a QB starter drafted in the 1st round https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/

1st round - about 41%
4th round - around 7%
5th round - 5.3%
6th round - 4.8%
7th round - 2.4%
And only 10 out of the 57 Super Bowls did not have a QB starter drafted in the 1st round https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/superbowl_quarterbacks/
And Jackson was a 1st Rd QB, albeit #32, still a 1st
So 47 out of 57 Super Bowls you say, wonder how many Brady played in out of the 10 Super Bowls not featuring a 1st Rd QB

Users who are viewing this thread