What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (2 Viewers)

And Sacramento tonight. Bummer. Lucky I got to see them last week before Covid hit.

Saw them in Fresno the other night.  Ed was really hurting (not covid sick, something with his stomach I guess), but he gutted it out.  Still a great show, very unique.  PJ's first drummer, Dave Krusen played all but two songs.  The most entertaining though, by far, was Animal.  Forget his name but the guy went ape-#### on drums, as he should.

We were right in front of McCready.  God he rips, I could watch that guy all night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Eephus begged off last night because she'd spent the weekend in Southern California at the Cruel World festival headlined by Bauhaus and Morrissey..  My daughter @ditkaburgers subbed in for her which was very special for me. @ditkaburgers had only heard the two Gang of Youths songs I played for her in my sales pitch but she's a big fan now.
Nice. I spent Sunday in Pasadena with my 22 y/o daughter at the Cruel World Fest.

Bauhaus was unbelievably great and made the cost of the ticket worth every cent. Their opening with Double Dare was as loud as anything I've ever heard at an outdoor concert. And their set list just got better and better.

Bauhaus was unbelievably great and made the cost of the ticket worth every cent. Their opening with Double Dare was as loud as anything I've ever heard at an outdoor concert. And their set list just got better and better.
Feel like I've been hearing some new bands lately that are clearly inspired by/imitating them. That new song of theirs didn't really turn my crank.

I'm a big fan of The Cult. I heard, however, that even back in the day they weren't good live.

They're playing in St Paul in July. Anyone seen them lately? Any good?

Andy Dufresne said:
I'm a big fan of The Cult. I heard, however, that even back in the day they weren't good live.

LOVE The Cult, always thought they kind of just missed going huge, but whatever.  Heard some story way back about Ian Astbury being such a massive #######, that it had something to do with their trajectory for whatever reason, but who knows.  I mean Axl was an ####### around the same time and it didn't stop them, or many others for that matter.

I've seen them twice, that I can remember.  Once at the House of Blues on Sunset.  It was awesome.  He was in good form -- cocky as hell -- and it raged.  Small venue, obviously.  That was in the late 90's.

The other time was in Orange County, Ca.  And it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen.  This was about 10 years ago.  Voice was horrible, and he was smashed, slurring and rambling.  I think he brought his son out on stage or some #### and even he was embarrassed.

So yeah, roll of the dice would be my guess, but I'd take the chance, what the hell.

Seeing Luke Combs on Saturday night at Empower Field in Denver at the first of his three-city stadium tour.  I've seen him a few times before, and he puts on a great show.  Only negative is that temps will be in the 30s for the show.  Gonna feel like I'm at Lambeau for a damn Packers game!

Seeing Luke Combs on Saturday night at Empower Field in Denver at the first of his three-city stadium tour.  I've seen him a few times before, and he puts on a great show.  Only negative is that temps will be in the 30s for the show.  Gonna feel like I'm at Lambeau for a damn Packers game!
so... t-shirt and shorts, yeah?

Saw Silk Sonic last night here in Vegas.  Simply incredible.

Choreography of The Temptations 

Spirit of Earth, Wind & Fire

Talent that would rival the all-time greats.

Humor

Pyrotechnics

Sex appeal

Energy

Not just one, but 2 giant disco balls.

No cell phones allowed added to the experience.

Dolby Live theater is amazing - not a bad seat in the house, and the sound quality was outstanding.

Audience was on their feet almost all night.

Going again in August.  If you get the chance, do this.  I’ve seen a LOT of concerts.  This may be my favorite.  

Speaking of taking your kids to shows, caamp/lumineers weekend (pnc nj sat and saratoga springs sun) coming up with my 15 year old daughter.   Love that my daughter loves live music as much as I do.   

Saw Silk Sonic last night here in Vegas.  Simply incredible.

Choreography of The Temptations 

Spirit of Earth, Wind & Fire

Talent that would rival the all-time greats.

Humor

Pyrotechnics

Sex appeal

Energy

Not just one, but 2 giant disco balls.

No cell phones allowed added to the experience.

Dolby Live theater is amazing - not a bad seat in the house, and the sound quality was outstanding.

Audience was on their feet almost all night.

Going again in August.  If you get the chance, do this.  I’ve seen a LOT of concerts.  This may be my favorite.  
Awesome. I’m booking it! Bruno was one of my favorite concerts ever (saw them in Vegas) and ever since I heard 777 I wanted to see Silk Sonic

I saw Sigur Ros in Palo Alto at the Frost Amphitheater. It was a stunning show, even better than last time I saw them in Portland. The whole package was firing - amazing sound, setlist, production/light show, and most importantly, energy. Over two hours was a nice bonus as well.

For those of you who have never seen them but been on the fence, just do it. They kill it live. 

LOVE The Cult, always thought they kind of just missed going huge, but whatever.  Heard some story way back about Ian Astbury being such a massive #######, that it had something to do with their trajectory, for whatever reason, but who knows.  I mean Axl was an ####### around the same time and it did stop them (or many others).

I've seen them twice, that I can remember.  Once at the House of Blues on Sunset.  It was awesome.  He was in good form -- cocky as hell -- and it raged.  Small venue, obviously.  That was in the late 90's.

The other time was in Orange County, Ca.  And it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen.  This was about 10 years ago.  Voice was horrible, and he was smashed, slurring and rambling.  I think he brought his son out on stage or some #### and even he was embarrassed.

So yeah, roll of the dice would be my guess, but I'd take the chance, what the hell.

Astbury is a world class ###.  Met him years ago.  Ego bigger than the universe.  Sort of like Natalie Merchant (different music, but yes she's an ###).   Axl is just a fool.  Astbury really believes he's god.

Incredible show by Gang of Youths at the Fillmore last night.  Their songs bridging the intimate and the epic are perfect for a live setting.  Dave Le'aupepe is my first rounder in a draft of current frontmen.

One of my long-standing concert takes is that Australian bands always put on outstanding live shows.  I don't know if it's something in the water or the process of natural selection at work but I've never been let down.  Even solo acoustic shows by Aussies have had quality banter.

Mrs. Eephus begged off last night because she'd spent the weekend in Southern California at the Cruel World festival headlined by Bauhaus and Morrissey..  My daughter @ditkaburgers subbed in for her which was very special for me. @ditkaburgers had only heard the two Gang of Youths songs I played for her in my sales pitch but she's a big fan now.

I'm >90% certain I got Covid at this show.  The dates align for the typical incubation period and I didn't really go anywhere else in the days before and after.

It was still a great night out and I have no regrets but it's a cautionary tale nonetheless.

Mrs. Eephus is a huge fan so I've seen The Cult a bunch of times including once when Guns 'N Roses were the opener.  The last time was 2015 at the Hollywood Palladium.  They were pretty good then but definitely a bit past their prime.

The other comments about Ian Astbury are pretty spot on but he's still an old fashioned Rock 'n Roll front man who can command the stage.

Seeing Tears for Fears with Garbage next Friday. Haven’t seen TFF since the Elemental Tour with just Roland back in the early 90s. Gonna be hot af since it’s outdoors, but looking forward to it. 

The Lumineers were a lot of fun.  I think I have a new band to follow.   Played almost the entire new album, but its very good so that was ok.  Caamp's setlist was a bit of a disappointment.  Oh well.  Seeing both again this saturday.  

Broke my Red Rocks cherry last night, and we had front row tickets.  Place is incredible.  Pictures don't do it justice.  Saw Lord Huron, we are going back tonight to see them again.  Also have tickets to see them at Mission Ballroom on Friday, but I might go back to Red Rocks to see JRAD.

Saw Kenny Chesney with my wife at Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Best part of the show was when they opened the roof prior to Kenny coming on.

Seeing Floppinho's HS acapella group perform their annual benefit (their biggest show of the year) tomorrow.

acapella stuff can be pretty cool depending on the arrangements. from what I've seen of them so far.... PRETTY ####### FAR FROM COOL.

meanwhile Floppinho is seeing Coldplay (with HER opening) at the MEadowlands on Sunday... with a cute girl (DAD... she's just a friend!)

shuke said:
Broke my Red Rocks cherry last night, and we had front row tickets.  Place is incredible.  Pictures don't do it justice.  Saw Lord Huron, we are going back tonight to see them again.  Also have tickets to see them at Mission Ballroom on Friday, but I might go back to Red Rocks to see JRAD.
Nothing like it.   The gorge is pretty remarkable but the sound sucks just b/c of the layout.   

Met a college buddy in Nashville for a dad-rock weekend.  The Hold Steady (might be my 40th time seeing them) on Friday and then Superchunk on Saturday at the same venue (Brooklyn Bowl).  THS is always a blast but Superchunk really brought it as well - tons of energy and their new stuff sounded great.   I only wish I could have justified heading out a couple of days earlier and added Built to Spill to the mix.

Floppinho had great VIP seats (won at his fancy school's auction... I bought a single ticket and lucked out) and a blast with his friend at Coldplay last night at the Meadowlands... or whatever they call it these days. His first no-parent show (although I ended up having to wait at the mall nearby for 4 hours...).

H.E.R. opened (not their cup of tea... although I bet she puts on a great show- soooo talented).

Surprise of the night was that Bruce helped close the show (I heard a couple tunes from outside... and was :confused:  as to why they were playing Bruce tunes... until I heard the audience shouting his name).

Really psyched about all the shows I've seen recently. Sure is dope to see live music again. Shows I've seen in 2022:

Circle Jerks (with The Adolescents and Negative Approach)
Peaches
Daði Freyr
Arch Enemy (with Behemoth and Napalm Death)
Cypress Hill (with Atmosphere)
Gary Numan
Ween

Cypress Hill (with Atmosphere)
How was Atmosphere? I've always sort of been on the sidelines with him, but I like When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That #### Gold...

eta* Circle Jerks are an awesome live band. Saw them at Philly Riot Fest some time ago and went nuts when they started and continued until they finished. I was still young then. 

How was Atmosphere? I've always sort of been on the sidelines with him, but I like When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That #### Gold...

eta* Circle Jerks are an awesome live band. Saw them at Philly Riot Fest some time ago and went nuts when they started until finish. I was still young then. 
I went to that show to see Cypress Hill - but I admit I'd never heard of Atmoshpere. He put on a good show, and my buddy is a huge fan and loved the performance. Circle Jerks was a special show for me, because that's my favorite old school punk band and I'd never see them live. CJ are playing two nights in Berkeley with The Descendants, and I might see that show as well. 

whoa!

I saw her and Chilly Gonzalez in SF... cripes- late 90s? 2000? super fun show- love their lo-fi groove, even if Gonzalez has gone in different directions.
That Peaches show was hilarious. Not necessarily in my wheelhouse - but I dug the entire feminist, anti-slut-shaming vibe. Mrs. Dogg asked how the show was, and I said, "Well, I don't normally listen to music to feel good, but I still liked it!"

That Peaches show was hilarious. Not necessarily in my wheelhouse - but I dug the entire feminist, anti-slut-shaming vibe. Mrs. Dogg asked how the show was, and I said, "Well, I don't normally listen to music to feel good, but I still liked it!"
why/how'd you end up going if not your bag entirely? seems kinda outside your normal radius... by a lightyear or seven.

why/how'd you end up going if not your bag entirely? seems kinda outside your normal radius... by a lightyear or seven.
Well, my circle of friends is pretty eclectic. So the same guys that got me into The Lords of Acid 15 years ago also like Peaches and invited me. I'm actually pretty into electronic music and pop music - it's just you wouldn't guess that by looking at me :)

Well, my circle of friends is pretty eclectic. So the same guys that got me into The Lords of Acid 15 years ago also like Peaches and invited me. I'm actually pretty into electronic music and pop music - it's just you wouldn't guess that by looking at me :)
lol... makes sense.

did she have any kind of stage show?

when I saw her, it was just her with a backing track and her skimpiest outfit grinding away. Chilly came out for a bunch of tunes too... he wasn't there for this? or that other cannuck in their circle, Feist?

lol... makes sense.

did she have any kind of stage show?

when I saw her, it was just her with a backing track and her skimpiest outfit grinding away. Chilly came out for a bunch of tunes too... he wasn't there for this? or that other cannuck in their circle, Feist?
No Chilly. Really big stage show, though. Lots of costumes, props, dancers, and a drummer + guitarist. 

Was just able to fight through the Ticketmaster / Live Nation lobby (what a dumb system) to secure GA / Pit for my favorite band, NIN on May 24th in Philly:headbang:

Guess I won't volunteer to chaperone my son's 8th grade field trip into the city the next day, or maybe I can just meet them there.   :bag:

Adding this one to my eclectic summer concert list so far:

Joe Jackson - 5/13

Fitz and the Tantrums - 6/12

Haven't planned for any shows at Musikfest in Bethlehem yet but eyeing the Counting Crows on 8/8
I hate to be "that guy" holding up their phone at a show but I like to at least get a clip of part of a favorite song or two.

Joe Jackson - The venue is pretty small (~1000) and old.  The seats I got late weren't bad at all and the sound was decent.  My wife and I are 46 and you could probably count on our hands and feet how many people there out of 1,000 were younger than us.

Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out with Him Clip (acapella version)

Acapella version was different but I thought it was pretty good.  He did an odd version of Stepping Out that I wasn't a fan of.  And he didn't even play Breaking Us in Two which I was shocked at, thought that was one of his biggest songs.  Overall it was a good time finally going out to dinner and a concert with my wife after no concerts for so long.

NIN - I was so psyched for this show but the sound in the pit was so bad.  I like to just basically drown in the music at these and I could always hear the crowd singing along more than the band.  Another small (~3500) and old venue.  Also of note, I could have bought pit tickets on the day of for less than half of what I paid when people were fighting over them on release.  In this day and age of e-tickets and online market places, I may never buy in advance again.

Speaking of "that guy", at this show about 80% of the audience was "that guy" wearing some kind of NIN apparel.  I just wore mostly black along with the other about 15%.

NIN - March of the Pigs Clip

(I showed this clip to my 14 yo son and he said, "that was awesome", maybe next time...)

NIN - Hurt Clip (End of Show)

Fitz and the Tantrums coming up this weekend at an outdoor venue, not a huge fan and don't have high expectations, just going along for dinner and a show with a group of friends that invited us.

Joe Jackson - The venue is pretty small (~1000) and old.  The seats I got late weren't bad at all and the sound was decent.  My wife and I are 46 and you could probably count on our hands and feet how many people there out of 1,000 were younger than us.

Joe Jackson - Is She Really Going Out with Him Clip (acapella version)

Acapella version was different but I thought it was pretty good.  He did an odd version of Stepping Out that I wasn't a fan of.  And he didn't even play Breaking Us in Two which I was shocked at, thought that was one of his biggest songs.  Overall it was a good time finally going out to dinner and a concert with my wife after no concerts for so long.
saw him a bunch in the 80s and 90s (but bummed I missed the Jumpin' Jive tour). 

he's been doing that same acapella version since those days... I love it, especially how it starts out. Thanks for sharing that video... brought might right back!

I'm curious if he did much of the more rocking stuff from the first three albums, or anything at all from Jumpin' Jive?

eta: and do you know if that was his original bassist, Graham Maby?

saw him a bunch in the 80s and 90s (but bummed I missed the Jumpin' Jive tour). 

he's been doing that same acapella version since those days... I love it, especially how it starts out. Thanks for sharing that video... brought might right back!

I'm curious if he did much of the more rocking stuff from the first three albums, or anything at all from Jumpin' Jive?

eta: and do you know if that was his original bassist, Graham Maby?
I don't remember the names when he introduced the band, sorry.

Setlist is a great resource, I use it to check out what songs bands have been playing on tour if I'm on the fence to go see them or not.

Joe Jackson - Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown, PA - May 13, 2022

One More Time

Fabulously Absolute

Sunday Papers

Dave

Look Sharp!

Fool

Solo

Solo (So Low)

Real Men

Girl (The Beatles cover)

A Place in the Rain

Full Band

Kings of the City

Nineteen Forever (first time since 2001)

You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)

Sing You Sinners (Tony Bennett cover)

Play Video

Is She Really Going Out With Him? (a cappella)

It's Different for Girls

I'm the Man

Encore:

Blaze of Glory

Steppin' Out (slow version)

Saw them last year. Cy et al still bring it. 

Glad to hear it. Loved that band in the 80s.
Saw the Fixx at a Day on the Green (Oakland Col.) c1983...with The Police, Oingo Boingo, Madness and Thompson Twins. For some reason, The Fixx's set is when everybody went to the bathroom or generally didn't pay attention (I think they were the lesser known band at the time). I thought they killed it...but not Oingo Boingo level of killing it.

Saw the Fixx at a Day on the Green (Oakland Col.) c1983...with The Police, Oingo Boingo, Madness and Thompson Twins. For some reason, The Fixx's set is when everybody went to the bathroom or generally didn't pay attention (I think they were the lesser known band at the time). I thought they killed it...but not Oingo Boingo level of killing it.
Sweet. I didn't know you lived in my neck of the woods.

I saw Day on the Green in 1983, where Scorpions and Iron Maiden opened for Loverboy and Foreigner. Scorps and Maiden DESTROYED. Loverboy was actually good, surprisingly. Foreigner didn't stand a chance, and a lot of people left the show before the headliner finished. 

Sweet. I didn't know you lived in my neck of the woods.

I saw Day on the Green in 1983, where Scorpions and Iron Maiden opened for Loverboy and Foreigner. Scorps and Maiden DESTROYED. Loverboy was actually good, surprisingly. Foreigner didn't stand a chance, and a lot of people left the show before the headliner finished. 
Born and raised in Sausalito. 

You're in Santa Rosa ish iirc?

Users who are viewing this thread