What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (1 Viewer)

The Merlefest starts tomorrow, and Colin Hay is playing there on Saturday. He was supposed to play in 2020, but the festival got cancelled due to Covid. I wonder if he is making up for the 2020 cancellation. I'm looking forward to seeing him Saturday. 
Most likely. It was great seeing him last week. He set the bar pretty high for all the other bands I’m seeing live this year. 

I went to Highwater Festival last weekend in Charleston (hosted by Shovels & Rope).  It was a good time.  My favorite performances were by Shannon and the Clams, Black Pumas, Delta Spirit, Adia Victoria and Mavis Staples.  Also saw Modest Mouse, Caamp, Sharon Van Etten, Old Crow Medicine Show, Bahamas, Amythyst Kiah, Palm Palm (J Roddy) and Felice Bros.  I bailed before the headliners each night (MMJ and Jack White) cause I'm old.

Alan Parsons Live in Royal Oak last night was phenomenal. The old Maestro still is kicking ###. This is the 4th iteration of the band composition I've seen and it was every bit as good or better in some spots as the previous 2.  Saw the original band from the album days years ago and no one will top them in my book. At 73 now, AP still is as keen as ever when I asked him about upcoming projects he has in mind. Can't wait.

Highly recommend seeing them if they are in your area.  He is adding dates to their tour in the states each day or so.  They will be doing a stop over for a couple months this summer in Europe, then back to the US. Go see them you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:
El Floppo said:
Jazz ensemble this thursday at Floppinho's HS on the upper east side... and then Juilliard pre-college Symphony on Saturday at 12:00.  you're invited!

so the previous HS jazz ensemble performances were... fine. I've gotten spoiled with Juilliard and his previous middle school setting an insanely high bar. 

but last night's ensemble pieces were really fun, Floppinho's 6 piece were the best of the lot- tenor sax, piano and bass were all really good- and the 3 songs were all up-tempo bop/swing. He had a blast playing, and I had a blast watching. 

@jimmy b was too shy to say hello, but I assume he enjoyed it as well.

looking forward to tomorrow's Juilliard symphony performance... I think he's on timpani, snare and a bunch of noisey stuff (cymbals, wood block, cowbell, ratchet(?), arm-pit farts, etc)

Might not be a style for a lot of folks here, but Rufus Wainwright’s performance last night was one of the best I’ve ever seen, in hundreds (thousands?) of shows.  So many highlights, but his version of “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall” was breathtaking and a vocal performance for the ages.

Picked up an LP of Canadian artist covers that he only sells at shows.   :thumbup:

so the previous HS jazz ensemble performances were... fine. I've gotten spoiled with Juilliard and his previous middle school setting an insanely high bar. 

but last night's ensemble pieces were really fun, Floppinho's 6 piece were the best of the lot- tenor sax, piano and bass were all really good- and the 3 songs were all up-tempo bop/swing. He had a blast playing, and I had a blast watching. 

@jimmy b was too shy to say hello, but I assume he enjoyed it as well.

looking forward to tomorrow's Juilliard symphony performance... I think he's on timpani, snare and a bunch of noisey stuff (cymbals, wood block, cowbell, ratchet(?), arm-pit farts, etc)
last performance of the (school) year.

VERDI Overture to Nabucco
Lowell LIEBERMANN Concerto for Flute and Orchestra
     Sooah Jeon, Flute (Pre-College Open Concerto Competition winner)
GINASTERA Estancia
LISZT Mazeppa, Symphonic Poem No. 6

He was on every piece... ranging from cymbals, snare, timpani and tambourine (fancier version).

the Timpani work on that Liebermann piece was really tough due to it being sporadic, but hugely impactful. he had to be dialed in to the score and conductor the entire time... any "not quite my tempo" moments would've been immediately evident and would have ruined a lovely piece. he nailed it. 

his highlight was laughably a virtuosic performance on the tambourine for the Ginastra... he had a blast with this, and in a sea of black suited stationary performers, really stood out in the back (percussion) row by Stevie Nicks dancing his way through it, all while doing a ton of stuff I wasn't aware was possible on the tambourine.... again, needing to be dialed in to tempo and score, but with a lot more to do (also some cymbals and ratchet in this one).

the head of the percussion department told him that he carried the entire department. 

oh right... Floppinho also got to see The Linda Lindas on Sunday at a club across the street with some friends... and their hovering parents, which the wife and I found weird.

he liked them- not his type of music (more mine)... but thought they were really talented. got some pics with them after the show.

main issue for him was the hovering parents (2 friends, 4 parents! who didn't leave their sides) and demographic of the rest of the crowd. I assumed it was going to be a lot of tween/teens... but he said it was mostly little, little kids with headphones and their middle aged parents looking at their phones the whole time.

Might not be a style for a lot of folks here, but Rufus Wainwright’s performance last night was one of the best I’ve ever seen, in hundreds (thousands?) of shows.  So many highlights, but his version of “A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall” was breathtaking and a vocal performance for the ages.

Picked up an LP of Canadian artist covers that he only sells at shows.   :thumbup:

Nice. Love Rufus.  His Leonard Cohen Hallelujah cover is all-time.

whats everyones take on Dispatch?

i have a chance to see them this summer.
Big fan of their older stuff (haven't listened to their new releases in years) and one of the band members (Chadwick Urmston) is in another band I used to listen to a lot called State Radio.  One of the 3 original members no longer tours with them so I'm not sure how that's going to affect their sound.  They're touring with OAR which is another band that has their share of catchy live tunes so it should be a good show.  I'll be at one of them.  

Saw The Mysterines last night play the opening night of their first American tour.  They were terrific but the economics of trying to break a band in the US are especially brutal these days.  The band has had some success in their native UK but are pretty much unknown here.  They drew maybe 50-60 people out on a Tuesday night in SF which doesn't cover the van rental. 

We were talking to the guitar player outside the club afterwards and he said he didn't realize how far LA and SF were from each other.  They'd flown into LAX over the weekend and drove up to SF yesterday.  They're headed back to LA today for a show there tonight and have a total of 19 shows over the next 22 nights.  That's a lot of van time.  They're young and determined and already have another US tour booked for later this year as an opener.  I wish them all the luck.

Not sure if this is happening everywhere but I got an email from LiveNation for $25 tickets to select shows.

Here is the LINK if you’re interested 

I picked up tickets to Tedeschi Trucks and War on Drugs.  It was refreshing to not get hit with a million fees at the end of an order.  

Not music, but 4/5 of my nuclear family saw John Mulaney last Friday at the Greek in Berkeley.  He was very funny.  Haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Not music, but 4/5 of my nuclear family saw John Mulaney last Friday at the Greek in Berkeley.  He was very funny.  Haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
My daughter plays his stuff a lot around the house and in the car.  Funny guy.   He did this bit talking about the ballroom at the end of the fugitive and he reenacted the whole scene.   I was dying but my daughter had no idea what he was talking about.  

I'd read several people saying that Paul McCartney's voice had been completely shot at the first two shows of his tour, so I tempered my expectations for last night accordingly.  Reports of the death of Paul's voice have been greatly exaggerated!  Sure, it's not like he was 25, or even 40, or even 60 anymore, and sure there were a few cringe-worthy reaches, but he sounded good and even very good on some songs.  He did forget the words to "Here Today," stopped himself by saying "Well that's not right," and then started again, but it was actually charming.  And as usual his set was nearly 30 songs and about three hours long, with only a few minutes' break before the encore, which is just incredible for a guy turning 80 this year.

I cried during the "I've Got a Feeling" duet with John.  :bag:  

I'd read several people saying that Paul McCartney's voice had been completely shot at the first two shows of his tour, so I tempered my expectations for last night accordingly.  Reports of the death of Paul's voice have been greatly exaggerated!  Sure, it's not like he was 25, or even 40, or even 60 anymore, and sure there were a few cringe-worthy reaches, but he sounded good and even very good on some songs.  He did forget the words to "Here Today," stopped himself by saying "Well that's not right," and then started again, but it was actually charming.  And as usual his set was nearly 30 songs and about three hours long, with only a few minutes' break before the encore, which is just incredible for a guy turning 80 this year.

I cried during the "I've Got a Feeling" duet with John.  :bag:  
Just amazing.

I should have mentioned that for anyone in the Seattle-ish area, Climate Pledge Arena is an insanely amazing large arena to see a show.  I've never had better sound quality in a large space like that.  I mentioned this to Mr. krista, who agreed and expounded for a while on what he saw and why it was all so good, and how freaking expensive the setup must have been, but I've no idea of all that crap and can't really summarize any of it.

Anyway, sound quality was fantastic.

Took 14YO Simsarge Jr to see a Pink Floyd cover band "Brain Damage" at a little 1930s converted movie theater in Vineland, NJ.
Great show. Neither of us are big PF fans, but I know they're known for great sound and light effects and figured it was worth a shot (tickets were $20 ea). The band was great and sounded pretty close to the real deal according to my untrained ears and the lighting effects were really great. Their lead guitarist was phenomenal.
I don't see where they're touring, but if you see them in your AO and you're even remotely interested in Pink Floyd jump.

Took 14YO Simsarge Jr to see a Pink Floyd cover band "Brain Damage" at a little 1930s converted movie theater in Vineland, NJ.
Great show. Neither of us are big PF fans, but I know they're known for great sound and light effects and figured it was worth a shot (tickets were $20 ea). The band was great and sounded pretty close to the real deal according to my untrained ears and the lighting effects were really great. Their lead guitarist was phenomenal.
I don't see where they're touring, but if you see them in your AO and you're even remotely interested in Pink Floyd jump.
what did Jr think?

The Hold Steady Saturday. Just announced Kiwi Jr. is opening that night. Different openers each of the 4 nights. Others are Bike Thiefs, Pkew Pkew Pkew, (who are great but I've seen them before) and Little Junior.

Kiwi Jr. would have been my first choice of that group. 

2022 Pearl Jam picked up right where 2013 Pearl Jam left off for me. (My only two PJ concerts attended. Wish i'd been there for some earlier ones!) They haven't lost anything at all. Ed and the boys continue to kick ### show after show. Still the best band on the planet. Opened with Wash!

Went on a mini ticket buying spree in hopes that shows will continue to happen:

• Bowling For Soup and Less Than Jake in July (my 17 yo son asked for tickets for just him and I for his birthday; might have gotten dusty for a min)
  • Halestorm and The Pretty Reckless in August (taking the kids, lawn seats, should be a blast. My 13 yo daughter is getting into some Lzzy Hale)
  • Black Keys and Band of Horses in October (driving down to Houston to see them)
Was planning on ACL tickets this year but the lineup is less than stellar. Still trying to decide.

I went to the Merlefest a couple weeks ago, and here is a summary of some of the bands I enjoyed:

Durand Jones and The Indications -  Great smooth soul. They even did a fantastic cover of the Beatles' Don't Let Me Down. I thought I recorded it, but when I looked at it later that night it was recorded for 1 second. 😃  I would love to see them perform again.

Trampled By Turtles - This bluegrass folk band can go from laid back folk bluegrass to high energy bluegrass punkish rock. They had a great set.

Big Daddy Love - This quartet is a bit of everything from rock, bluegrass, southern soul, and psychedelic. The lead guitarist can play, and did a 10 minute instrumental jam. They sometimes are labeled as Appalachian Rock.

Rissi Palmer - This woman can sing. She is a mix of R&B, Country, and Southern Soul. Enjoyed her a lot.

The Wood Brothers - This trio Folk Americana band was really good. This is my third time seeing them, and they just keep getting better.

We Banjo 3 - This is an Irish band that does a mix of Celtic, Americana, and bluegrass. They are a fun band to dance to.

Willie Watson - He is a founding member of the Old Crow Medicine Show, but hasn't been with them in a long time. His solo folk music is really good.

Old Crow Medicine Show - It just so happens they played the festival too, but on a different day than Willie Watson. They played a unscheduled warmup session in a water fountain earlier in the day, which was a pleasant surprise. They were fun and great that night on the main Watson Stage.

Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band -  I don't know how to describe them other than saying they are a rootsy country blues rock band. The Reverend can play that guitar. They were a lot of fun with a lot of energy.

Greensky Bluegrass - A bluegrass jam band that sounded great, and had a cool light show.

Colin Hay - He is a funny guy. He sounded great and I enjoyed all the stories he told. He mentioned Ringo @krista4 a few times. His last two songs he played were Men At Work tunes.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - The lead singer/frontman for the band still looks so young with some gray in his hair, and his voice sounds untouched by the years. They did their songs and a mix of covers, and paid tribute to Jerry Jeff Walker. Their ending was cut short by a thunder storm.

Shannon McNally -  I like her voice and style.  I guess she is folk country and country rock.

Steep Canyon Rangers - These guys always bring it. They are so good, and their fiddle player is one of the best I've ever heard.

Saturday's Hillside Album Hour - This is where The Waybacks and guests play a classic rock album. This year they did Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead. They never repeat albums, and have done American Beauty in the past, but they added in Brokedown Palace with the Workingman's Dead songs, and the last song they played was Ripple while adding A Touch of Grey's chorus blended somewhere in the middle of the song, and then went back to Ripple's chorus and last verse, and so their set ended with everyone singing the la da da da etc. It was awesome. 

Emmylou Harris - She was the last to go on that Sunday, but her set was almost cancelled by lightning during a storm. She waited an extra 45 minutes to come on, and nobody left waiting for her. She was so excellent. She is 75 years old, and still sings like an angel. Her banter was fun, and she did a lot of her own songs and several covers. I can't remember all of the covers other than she did a Townes Van Zandt song, Steve Earle Song, Billy Joe Shaver song, Merle Haggard song, and a George Jones song. I know I am forgetting another one (it wasn't a Gram Parsons song). She mentioned that she loves listening to sad songs and writing sad songs, because they make her happy. She was a great ending to the 2022 festival.

There are more bands that were good that I didn't mention, and there were a lot of bands I missed too over the 4 day span. 

Lots of great bands coming around. 

• Right now I have three of Midnight Oil's final tour locked in (Chicago, Philly, DC).  Super excited/sad for that one. 
  • Just bought some Chvrches tickets for the whole fam since they're showing up in my little burb, which is awesome. 
  • Furnace Fest here in Bham has a great day with Manchester Orchestra and The Joy Formidable, plus a host of others I don't know.  Definitely hitting that one.
  • Eyeing Awolnation in Atlanta, but the date sucks.  Maybe go see them in Nashville - still considering.

Forgot to post for some reason.   I finally saw Mastodon and Opeth a couple weeks ago.  Anybody involved in music drafts probably can guess my excitement level for that one.  Both were damn good, but the Opeth portion of the program might be the best 1 hour+ of music I've seen live.  Yes, part of that is because they are one of my favorite bands, but a ton of it was just how they sounded.   Usually when I go to shows I feel like the music is just a huge wall of sound and I can barely pick anything out.  They had the volume lower, and the sound on the drums up a bit and I could hear damn near every individual note they played.   It really drove home just how amazing their musicianship is and how beautiful their music actually is.   Any other fans should try to catch them before the leave they states (if they haven't).  

Next up is our 3rd time seeing Chrvches on 6/13.   I think there is talk of going to Lord Huron yet again in the fall (4th or 5th time seeing them). 

McCartney was so good. Man - if I have half his energy or am in half as good of shape as he is at that age I’ll be very happy. Last hour was as good as any concert I’ve been too. Favorite was when they had Lennon on the screen singing his alternate part in I’ve got a Feeling as first encore. But it was a run of Get Back, Band on the Run, Let it Be, Live and Let Die, Hey Jude, I’ve Got a Feeling that brought it home. Over 2 1/2 hours straight. Fun banter. Tributes to the other Beatles. Just great. 

Incredible show by Gang of Youths at the Fillmore last night.  Their songs bridging the intimate and the epic are perfect for a live setting.  Dave Le'aupepe is my first rounder in a draft of current frontmen.

One of my long-standing concert takes is that Australian bands always put on outstanding live shows.  I don't know if it's something in the water or the process of natural selection at work but I've never been let down.  Even solo acoustic shows by Aussies have had quality banter.

Mrs. Eephus begged off last night because she'd spent the weekend in Southern California at the Cruel World festival headlined by Bauhaus and Morrissey..  My daughter @ditkaburgers subbed in for her which was very special for me. @ditkaburgers had only heard the two Gang of Youths songs I played for her in my sales pitch but she's a big fan now.

Incredible show by Gang of Youths at the Fillmore last night.  Their songs bridging the intimate and the epic are perfect for a live setting.  Dave Le'aupepe is my first rounder in a draft of current frontmen.

One of my long-standing concert takes is that Australian bands always put on outstanding live shows.  I don't know if it's something in the water or the process of natural selection at work but I've never been let down.  Even solo acoustic shows by Aussies have had quality banter.

Mrs. Eephus begged off last night because she'd spent the weekend in Southern California at the Cruel World festival headlined by Bauhaus and Morrissey..  My daughter @ditkaburgers subbed in for her which was very special for me. @ditkaburgers had only heard the two Gang of Youths songs I played for her in my sales pitch but she's a big fan now.
amazing to share that with your daughter. 

last Filmore show I went to was a rave, produced by some college friends. last show I saw there was RHCP opening for Run DMC...c 1985.

Users who are viewing this thread