What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (3 Viewers)

My 16 and 17 year old went to see Baby Keem at the Filmore in MSP last night. They swear he's the next big thing - they loved it.

Taking my daughter to see Inhaler next week. Lead singer is Bono's son. She really likes them, I think they're okay, but good music to see live.
Best thing we ever did was finally get my daughter an inhaler.  Haven't had to leave a sporting or music event ever since, simply no more panic stage.  Pearl Jam is on the docket, btw, hoping Vedder plays "Just Breathe".

Seeing Floppinho twice this weekend...

Juilliard percussion ensemble..... which, if any of the classical percussion ensemble shows I've seen before are any indicator...is going to be out there.

School of Rock performance group- GnR vs Aerosmith- midseason show (so only on 3 or 4 tunes). Drums and maybe singing. He also might get to lead sing while drumming on a song for the final show...something they usually don't let them do because there are more singers than drummers for these things.

Saw Heartless Bastards and Flaming Lips last night.  

Heartless Bastards is originally from Cincinnati, but I don't think a lot people there knew of them.  It sucked to see the crowd reception was not very warm.  They are a great band.  

Flaming Lips put on a pretty good show.  A lot of props, but almost too much.  I don't know how much dead time there was just waiting for Wayne to get inside and outside of his bubble.  We were about 15 rows back on the floor so the confetti cannons, etc. was fun.  

Saw Tedeschi Trucks Band two weeks ago in Port Jervis, NY.   Love TTB and small venue shows.   I think I'm getting a little too old though for being up close in general admission.   People have no respect for personal boundaries and invariably, my personal space becomes diminished to the point where I'm constantly bumping into people when doing my thing.  Next GA show, I'm gonna try hanging in the back.   Hopefully, there's more room back there to maneuver.   

we had our son's HS spring gala fundraiser thing last night.

the wife had me buy a couple of raffle tickets for an event... and I ended up winning! 2 VIP tix package to see Coldplay at the Meadowlands. Not quite my tempo- it was supposed to be 14yo floppinho and mom... but we're thinking of letting him go with a friend instead. 

Saw Heartless Bastards and Flaming Lips last night.  

Heartless Bastards is originally from Cincinnati, but I don't think a lot people there knew of them.  It sucked to see the crowd reception was not very warm.  They are a great band.  

Flaming Lips put on a pretty good show.  A lot of props, but almost too much.  I don't know how much dead time there was just waiting for Wayne to get inside and outside of his bubble.  We were about 15 rows back on the floor so the confetti cannons, etc. was fun.  

That reminded me of seeing them (him) once and I thought it was surprisingly bad/hokey.  Like how was this guy pulling one over on so many people.  Maybe it was not his best night.

I did see Blackberry Smoke the other night.  Good ####.

Seeing Floppinho twice this weekend...

Juilliard percussion ensemble..... which, if any of the classical percussion ensemble shows I've seen before are any indicator...is going to be out there.

School of Rock performance group- GnR vs Aerosmith- midseason show (so only on 3 or 4 tunes). Drums and maybe singing. He also might get to lead sing while drumming on a song for the final show...something they usually don't let them do because there are more singers than drummers for these things.

Ok... Juilliard WAS out there (15 minutes of struck bowls for one piece...and that was abridged). Floppinhos piece was fun though- with a flutist (floutist?) and three other percussionists. He was on snare and cowbell. He rocked the #### out of the cowbell :lol: . Whole performance was fun- I dig the out there stuff, even if the bowls were a bit too sleepy out there.

just got back from School of Rock midseason show with The Clash and GnR vs Aerosmith (his group). Show was a little rough around the edges as to be expected in the middle of their session, but a blast to see all these kids and their parents out there rocking out.

14yo floppinho on welcome to the jungle

I make him practice 4 hours a day so he can get a scholarship to Harvard. He hates playing.

Was just able to fight through the Ticketmaster / Live Nation lobby (what a dumb system) to secure GA / Pit for my favorite band, NIN on May 24th in Philly:headbang:

Guess I won't volunteer to chaperone my son's 8th grade field trip into the city the next day, or maybe I can just meet them there.   :bag:

Adding this one to my eclectic summer concert list so far:

Joe Jackson - 5/13

Fitz and the Tantrums - 6/12

Haven't planned for any shows at Musikfest in Bethlehem yet but eyeing the Counting Crows on 8/8

Was just able to fight through the Ticketmaster / Live Nation lobby (what a dumb system) to secure GA / Pit for my favorite band, NIN on May 24th in Philly:headbang:

Guess I won't volunteer to chaperone my son's 8th grade field trip into the city the next day, or maybe I can just meet them there.   :bag:

Joe Jackson - 5/13

Haven't planned for any shows at Musikfest in Bethlehem yet but eyeing the Counting Crows on 8/8
Joe is still going strong and Fitz and the Tantrums do not disappoint. Really wish NIN was coming anywhere near me. I think I saw them on their Downward Spiral tour in Milwaukee a very long time ago. It was an exceptional show. Fwiw, Ringfinger is one of my favorite NIN songs.

Joe is still going strong and Fitz and the Tantrums do not disappoint. Really wish NIN was coming anywhere near me. I think I saw them on their Downward Spiral tour in Milwaukee a very long time ago. It was an exceptional show. Fwiw, Ringfinger is one of my favorite NIN songs.
They had just added that Philly show and they seem to be adding more so keep an eye out.

Just got back from Gang of Four.  It was a completely different band from the last time I saw them.

Singer Jon King revived the group after the death of Andy Gill who'd been touring his version of Go4 for years with a different singer. King got the band's original drummer Hugo Burnham and second bassist Sara Lee to sign on. I liked this band much better--King is still an incredible frontman.

We had this one a couple of weeks ago and agree with all this.

My "apparently haven't listened to new music in 20 years" tour continues over the next couple of months with Rufus Wainwright on April 28, Paul McCartney on May 3, Belle & Sebastian on May 31, and Chris Isaak/Lyle Lovett on June 25.  Oh, and Ringo tickets go on sale Friday for an October 11 show.

I've reached that point where I want to see some old favorites I've never seen before, which explains Gang of Four, Rufus, Belle, and Ringo.  And Paul and Lyle are just always "musts" for me.

One day I'll see someone who didn't record until the 2000s.  Maybe.

Just added tix for Heaven 17 in Philly on 9/24. Seeing New Order and Pet Shop Boys on 9/25 (hope it actually happens this time). 

I have Colin Hay and OMD coming up later this month after Henry Rollins (spoken word) next week. 

Joe Jackson - 5/13

These all sounds fun and fit my apparent theme.  

If any of you have the opportunity to see Henry Rollins on his spoken word tour, I highly recommend it. He goes strong for 2+ hours at 100 mph. Very entertaining. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of you have the opportunity to see Henry Rollins on his spoken word tour, I highly recommend it. He goes strong for 2+ hours at 100 mph. Very entertaining. 
I was just independently dissing Rollins's spoken word about two nights ago because of scorchy's list. I was wondering when Rollins's spoken words would make an appearance and had the knives out just in case. 

So I consider this my opportunity. But I forget what I was going to say other than insulting his ape-like prognathism. 

Rollins! You ape! Shut up!

eta* But in seriousness, that's cool. I bet he had plenty to say about the state of the world. 

Floppinho School of Rock final show in June. Juilliard symphony in May..
We just had our copyediting professor relay to us tonight that he didn't get a job with a particular performing arts magazine because he couldn't spell Juilliard. I knew the spelling (I think partially -- I think I began to pronounce it Zwee-ard so I would remember) because of your musings here in and in the past, maybe. Or maybe I just saw it in print. Regardless, that should be wonderful. Congrats to him. Seems pretty intense, but cool. 

We just had our copyediting professor relay to us tonight that he didn't get a job with a particular performing arts magazine because he couldn't spell Juilliard. I knew the spelling (I think partially -- I think I began to pronounce it Zwee-ard) because of your musings here in and in the past, maybe. Or maybe I just saw it in print. Regardless, that should be wonderful. Congrats to him. Seems pretty intense, but cool. 
Your professor didn't have a smart phone to autocorrect idiosyncratic words like Juilliard and bungle normal words like anal

the wife had me buy a couple of raffle tickets for an event... and I ended up winning! 2 VIP tix package to see Coldplay at the Meadowlands. Not quite my tempo- it was supposed to be 14yo floppinho and mom... but we're thinking of letting him go with a friend instead. 
The Coldplay Live 2003 DVD is great. I think I'd enjoy Coldplay live, particularly if they agreed to play only songs from Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head like they do on that one. 

Blue Rodeo was fantastic again last night. Mostly a greatest hits set with some new stuff mixed in. Lots of big singalongs. 

They played my favourite song - "Diamond Mine" second, live favourite "Disappear" somewhere in the mix and the three biggest sing-along hits (Hasn't Hit Me Yet, Try, Lost Together) at the end.

Mrs. NV took one more gummy than usual (which still only meant 5mg) and was absolutely captivated by the light show. :lol:

All in all a great night. 

Glorious Sons Saturday. 

I moved to Asbury Park, NJ almost two years ago and vowed (for now) not to leave Asbury to see live music since I have 5 great venues within walking distance:

Upcoming shows that I have tickets for include:

Drive-By Truckers - 4/29 @ The Stone Pony

Paul Cauthen - 5/10 @ Asbury Lanes

The Black Crowes - 6/30 @ The Stone Pony Summer Stage

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - 9/3 @ The Stone Pony Summer Stage

Other bands that will be in town that I currently don't have tickets for but will consider:

St. Paul and the Broken Bones / Fitz and the Tantrums

Phil Lesh and Friends 

Nathaniel Ratliffe and the Night Sweats

Counting Crowes

Interpol / Spoon

The Reverend Horton Heat

Deer Tick

They Might Be Giants

The Coldplay Live 2003 DVD is great. I think I'd enjoy Coldplay live, particularly if they agreed to play only songs from Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head like they do on that one. 
their first album- was it Parachutes?- was a big hit for me when it came out. I remember a co-worker came back from the UK with their EP before it came out... and I was all-in. 

rush of blood- the second one? started to head into hit/pop-land, and not quite my tempo... but still a solid album. it just kept going the wrong direction for me. their recent stuff... great googly boogly is it terrible. 

but I'm excited for my kid to go with a buddy- that's a real moment of passage for a kid (or at least, it was for me) to go to a show without parents. and doing whatever VIP things they'll get to do... should be cool. I wish I knew more about taht part.

and he tends to like and write his own music in that mid-catalogue coldplay mopey/whiney way.

El Floppo said:
their first album- was it Parachutes?- was a big hit for me when it came out. I remember a co-worker came back from the UK with their EP before it came out... and I was all-in. 

rush of blood- the second one? started to head into hit/pop-land, and not quite my tempo... but still a solid album. it just kept going the wrong direction for me. their recent stuff... great googly boogly is it terrible. 

but I'm excited for my kid to go with a buddy- that's a real moment of passage for a kid (or at least, it was for me) to go to a show without parents. and doing whatever VIP things they'll get to do... should be cool. I wish I knew more about taht part.

and he tends to like and write his own music in that mid-catalogue coldplay mopey/whiney way.

I liked Coldplay's 2021 album :bag:  

The closing track Coloratura is an epic.

Dr. Octopus said:
I moved to Asbury Park, NJ almost two years ago and vowed (for now) not to leave Asbury to see live music since I have 5 great venues within walking distance:

Upcoming shows that I have tickets for include:

Drive-By Truckers - 4/29 @ The Stone Pony

Paul Cauthen - 5/10 @ Asbury Lanes

The Black Crowes - 6/30 @ The Stone Pony Summer Stage

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - 9/3 @ The Stone Pony Summer Stage

Other bands that will be in town that I currently don't have tickets for but will consider:

St. Paul and the Broken Bones / Fitz and the Tantrums

Phil Lesh and Friends 

Nathaniel Ratliffe and the Night Sweats

Counting Crowes

Interpol / Spoon

The Reverend Horton Heat

Deer Tick

They Might Be Giants
I don't think I knew you lived right there. Ocean Grove is our easy escape every summer.

I liked Coldplay's 2021 album :bag:  

The closing track Coloratura is an epic.
damn you.

now I'm listening to the album again to see if I was too harsh based on the couple songs I heard. (eta: and internally vomited from).

eta2... no. that was just awful. and no- I couldn't actually make it through a full song before skipping forward. ok... cholera whatever... was the least awful. 

I saw H.R. from Bad Brains play a Reggae set and it was something. In his prime, he was one of Punk's greatest frontmen but that was a long time ago. We saw Bad Brains in 2007 on the Build a Nation tour and it was a hot mess.

He's always been kind of an erratic performer but I was surprised when his tour manager approached me in front of the stage to ask me to be ready to catch H.R. should he fall off the stage. I mean that's an implicit part of the social contract for standing at the rail so I found it strange that his representative would make a thing of it.  His excellent three piece band opened the show with a couple of songs before H.R. and his tour manager made it through the crowd to the stage. Mrs. Eephus turned to me and said "he's higher than a MF'ing kite" which seemed like a pretty accurate assessment. 

H.R. was noticeably unstable on his feet and almost toppled backwards into the drum kit. He picked up an extra guitar from the guitar player but wasn't able to fasten the strap without assistance. He played a little rhythm guitar in spite of wearing white gloves on both hands. I didn't think he was going to be able to make it through the set but he eventually reached equilibrium with whatever he was on and delivered some magical vocals.  He sang most of the second half of the show with his mic stand facing stage right and the guitarist had to jump in and take a verse a couple of times but it was a much better show than I expected at the beginning.

He never fell over but I did have to support him leaving the stage after the encore.

I saw Jacob Collier a couple nights ago. Amazing show. I encourage you to search for him on YouTube if you don't know who he is.

While Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney are still with us, it's hard to say that Jacob is my favorite musician alive, but it's close.

Just added John Moreland to the rotation.  Looks like a really interesting venue; levon helm studios in Woodstock.  

Been waiting 3 years for this guy to come around again since I came across him on NPR Tiny Desk and then by chance, he just happened to be opening for Tedeschi Trucks later that year.  Typically for openers, a lot of the place isn't paying attention and having conversations.  For him, the entire place was locked in.  He's a really soulful folk singer.  Here's one of his better songs if you care to listen.  

Colin Hay was amazing the other night and am at OMD currently. 

Oh wow, I was excited to see he's still part of Ringo's All-Starr Band and will be part of that show I'll see in October, but I didn't realize he was touring separately.  Not coming anywhere near here.  :kicksrock:  

Oh wow, I was excited to see he's still part of Ringo's All-Starr Band and will be part of that show I'll see in October, but I didn't realize he was touring separately.  Not coming anywhere near here.  :kicksrock:  
I don’t think he’s doing too many of the solo acoustic shows. This show was postponed from 2 years ago. He’s also touring with Men at Work starting very soon as well. Not sure what the tour stops are though (I know they’ll be up on Fremont St in Vegas September 3rd with  Rick Springfield and Jon Waite)

friends just called with an extra ticket for Floppinho to see the Linda Lindas literally across the street from us this sunday. 

I love them. 

it's good to be floppinho.

oh... also just saw him at his HS do a few songs in their semi-regular "coffee house" on Friday. outdoors on a roof, gorgeous spring night, and almost all the kids were just insanely talented (including a sophomore with a record deal).

floppinho played drums on About a Girl, sang and keyboarded solo a Harry Styles song (which was a big hit), drummed on some other tune I'd never heard of, but the kids all sang along with, and then worked the cajon and co-sang on possibly the most butchered version of the Goo-Goo Dolls, Iris you could possibly imagine (after 1 practice... the keyboardist thankfully gave up part way through).

Going to check out Leonid and Friends at the Gramercy Theatre in NYC on Monday May 9th.

Frank Turner June 20th at the Knockdown Center in Queens on June 20th.

Alan Parsons Project tonight in Royal Oak, MI. This is the 4th iteration of the Live Project band I’ve heard and they are fantastic. I highly recommend them if they visit your area, you will not be disappointed. Alan knows how to assemble a touring band, no doubt.

Can’t wait to hear them again and speak with The Maestro at the after show gathering. 

Alan Parsons brings Live Project to Royal Oak

By GARY GRAFF | For MediaNews Group
PUBLISHED: April 26, 2022 at 9:00 a.m. | UPDATED: April 26, 2022 at 9:15 a.m.

There’s a certain irony that the two most recent Alan Parsons Project releases have been live album.
During the initial part of the troupe’s career — including its commercial heyday during the 70s and early 80s with albums such as “I Robot” and “Eye in the Sky” — the group was determinedly NOT a live concern. “It’s really because Eric Woolfson and I were a duo. We weren’t a band,” Parsons, a recording engineer for the Beatles, Pink Floyd and others before launching the APP in 1975, explains by phone.

“Eric was the songwriter. I was a producer. It just didn’t seem ever in the cards for us to put a band together to play live. It would have been very technically demanding back in the day to emulate the orchestrations and stuff, and it would’ve been prohibitive to actually go out on tour with an orchestra.

“So we always considered the Alan Parsons Project was a recording outfit, and not a band that went out on tour.”

That all changed in 1990, after Parsons, 73, and Woolfson parted ways. The Alan Parsons Live Project began touring regularly in 1993, with an array of musicians, front by P.J. Olsson on vocals and guitar and with Parsons also singing lead and playing guitar and keyboards. The group still makes new music — its last studio album, “The Secret,” came out during 2019 — but last November it released “The NeverEnding Show: Live in the Netherlands,” while February saw the arrival of “One Note Symphony: Live in Tel Aviv” from a special concert with the Israel Philharmonic Orchestra.

“It’s good fun to play live,” Parsons says. “Interestingly, we don’t often do completely new versions of the songs; we tend to stick to the recorded arrangements most of the time. That’s the reason the heavily orchestrated stuff doesn’t get played life — we wait for the opportunity to play with a full symphony orchestra, like we did in Tel Aviv.

“That’s when we get to do songs like ‘Silence and I,’ for example. We don’t play that unless there’s an orchestra. Songs like ‘I Wouldn’t Want to Be Like You’ are a piece of cake, ’cause there’s no orchestral requirement.”

In addition to the APP projects, Parsons was also happy to be featured in Peter Jackson’s “The Beatles: Get Back” docuseries last November as one of the engineers on the group’s “Let It Be” album. “I wasn’t really seen in ‘Let It Be’ (the documentary), but Peter promised there’d be more of me in this, and there was,” Parsons says. “I’m glad, because I so enjoyed working on that. I was in seventh heaven — the best job in the world working with the greatest rock band in the world. It was an extraordinary few days.”
Parsons has some new music of his own coming as well, on the heels of the APP live album. The new studio album is “in its very early stages,” but he has a good idea of what the album will be like.

“I’m not going to give the title away yet,” he says, “but I don’t think it’s going to be particularly conceptual. I think we’re going to revamp a famous classical piece again, but I won’t tell you what that is because it gives the end away as well.
“I seem to have a reputation for being a perfectionist, and I’m not, really. I’ll always go for a good feel in favor of an otherwise perfect performance. But why not try to get both?”

Going to check out Leonid and Friends at the Gramercy Theatre in NYC on Monday May 9th.

Frank Turner June 20th at the Knockdown Center in Queens on June 20th.
I think we've had this convo before... where are you?

had to look up Leonid and also the Grammercy theater (I saw a couple plays there years ago). I wonder if Leonid will make any mention of the war- google says they're based in Moscow.

Jazz ensemble this thursday at Floppinho's HS on the upper east side... and then Juilliard pre-college Symphony on Saturday at 12:00.  you're invited!

I think we've had this convo before... where are you?

had to look up Leonid and also the Grammercy theater (I saw a couple plays there years ago). I wonder if Leonid will make any mention of the war- google says they're based in Moscow.

Jazz ensemble this thursday at Floppinho's HS on the upper east side... and then Juilliard pre-college Symphony on Saturday at 12:00.  you're invited!

Located in Bronxville

The 25 or 6 to 4 got me hooked, went down the Leonid and friends wormhole...Was pleasantly surprised to see them playing in the city next week.

I don’t think he’s doing too many of the solo acoustic shows. This show was postponed from 2 years ago. He’s also touring with Men at Work starting very soon as well. Not sure what the tour stops are though (I know they’ll be up on Fremont St in Vegas September 3rd with  Rick Springfield and Jon Waite)
The Merlefest starts tomorrow, and Colin Hay is playing there on Saturday. He was supposed to play in 2020, but the festival got cancelled due to Covid. I wonder if he is making up for the 2020 cancellation. I'm looking forward to seeing him Saturday. 

Users who are viewing this thread