What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cast Iron Skillet omnibus (1 Viewer)

Still absolutely love my lodge cast iron skillet. I use it more than every other skillet combined.... Including my all clad unit of the same size.,

Just use the oven cleaning cycle. By far the easiest
Excellent advice. Threw mine in last night, and pre-seasoning and a few years of use have turned to dust. It's all clean grey now.

Now that it's bare, it's clearly a lumpy surface. I'm going to see what I can do to sand it smooth before I re-season.

For those who smoothed out the bottom of their pans, what would you sand with? Diamond grit or just some low # sandpaper? Maybe a flap disc for the edges?

For those who smoothed out the bottom of their pans, what would you sand with? Diamond grit or just some low # sandpaper? Maybe a flap disc for the edges?
Angle grinder with flap wheel for center of pan, die grinder with small flap disc for edges. Then onto a random orbit sander with progressively finer grit to finish it off.

Just use the oven cleaning cycle. By far the easiest
Excellent advice. Threw mine in last night, and pre-seasoning and a few years of use have turned to dust. It's all clean grey now.

Now that it's bare, it's clearly a lumpy surface. I'm going to see what I can do to sand it smooth before I re-season.
Self cleaning oven is probably the best route with the new Lodge stuff.

I've just been scared to try because I mostly clean older pieces, and I don't want to take any chances on warping them. Newer stuff is a lot thicker, and even if it did warp, it's easy to replace.

Angle grinder with flap wheel for center of pan, die grinder with small flap disc for edges. Then onto a random orbit sander with progressively finer grit to finish it off.
Thanks GB, will give it a go later today. Can't believe how rough this is. It's like they forgot to finish it.

Thanks GB, will give it a go later today. Can't believe how rough this is. It's like they forgot to finish it.
Cheap, cheap, cheap. Read somewhere that they just sandblast the thing after its cast. They used to grind it to a finish, but not anymore.

They didn't forget. Lodge was just quick to automate the process and cut out the finishing step about 60 years ago. Had to compete with all the cheap cookware coming from Asia and the growing non-stick crap market.

It's why they are still around and all the other US manufacturers are gone.

I never wash my cast iron skillet. After I am done cooking, I add some water and bring it to a boil for a few minutes, scrape off anything stuck to the bottom with the spatula, then pour out the water and rinse. Next, I wipe the side clean with a paper towel (if needed) and put it back on the stove for a little bit to cook off the remaining water. And Voila!

Yes, I use more than 10% of my brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my pre-seasoned 12 inch Lodge cast iron pan. I read on Cook's Illustrated (via an earlier post here) that the best way to season is with flaxseed oil. The article states to season with flaxseed on a new (unseasoned) pan or one that has been stripped of seasoning. Do you think it would harm the pan to season with flaxseed prior to use, or should I wait until I use it a few times? I assume the latter, but lots of cast iron vets in here, who I'd like to hear from. TIA

:popcorn:
I do it the old-school way. A good choice is lard but if you don't get that unless you make bacon then use Crisco shortening.

They didn't forget. Lodge was just quick to automate the process and cut out the finishing step about 60 years ago. Had to compete with all the cheap cookware coming from Asia and the growing non-stick crap market.It's why they are still around and all the other US manufacturers are gone.
Well, they clearly left a step out. : )

Sanded mine down with an angle grinder. Super easy. I can see my reflection in it now, even though there are some deep pits that I am not going to take the time to get rid of.

Time to clean the metal dust off and start the re-seasoning process.

Was just handed a very old, very worn CIS. Gonna follow some of the steps here and spend some time fixing it up. Will have to take before and after pictures.

Don't care about your politics. We have fewer posts on the front page now. Multiple threads on the same candidate makes no sense. This is no different than any other thread getting merged.

Sida got a timeout because he was told this and chose to respond by bumping a bunch of old threads and trying to create new threads on it like you're doing here. 

I recently restored a small single egg cis I got from a friend. It was so gunky I had no idea what it was. I set up an electrolysis tank and after a two days I had a like New Wagner Ware #3 probably from the 40s or early 50s. It turned out to be a beautiful skillet.

With my first restoration complete it decided the long holiday weekend would be perfect to take the ole family hand me down, 3 notch Lodge. This was given to me probably 30 years ago when I got my first apartment and had nothing to cook with.  Like any 20 year old I mostly ate fast food and this CIS was put away and sat rusting and forgotten for the next two decades.

10 years ago the close friend/family members  who gave me the skillet passed suddenly and very unexpectedly. Shortly after her funeral I came across the pan at the bottom of an old box. It was petty gunky when I got it, and now 20 years of rust had settled in as well. I was determined to honor the memory of Audrey by once again using this CIS.

As it turns out, it was a lot more work then I thought it would be. I scrubbed, I scraped, and i wire wheeled for days just to get the bottom of the cooking surface usable. After rereading this thread I smile and SMH at about how to properly clean and get every little bit of leftovers off of your CIS. I've been using this skillet with a rusty bottom and 1/4 inch gunk build up on the inside sides for the last 10 years. 

Now an end to that era is over. My favorite hand me down has been in and out of the electrolysis tub for the past 5 days. With once again lots of scrubbing, scapping and even some chisling with a flat head screw driver. Now she rests under my grill lid, smooth as baby's butt. Just like the day she was born.

In February I will turn 50 and even though I'm probably 30 years younger than my CIS. I suppose I'm also well seasoned, but I sometimes feel rusted and gunky. This restoration project has breathed New life into me. I now have a family heirloom that I can pass on. Perhaps in 70 years a great grandson of mine will be posting in the rollerballguys forum about some pos skillet that's all rusted he found in father's basement.

So Merry Christmas, and remember with vintage cast iron. It's not just another cooking tool. It's memories.

Couple of points here

1. When cleaning use table salt, just a lot of table salt in the skillet and use some damp paper towles to scrub, makes cleaning without detergent much easier.

2. After a few uses, once you have cleaned the skillet give it a good spraying with Pam or Spray on olive oil, rub in with paper towels and then repeat, then store. This should help with the sticking of food.
Old bump... this is great advice and what I do. When I'm done cooking I'll usually wipe it clean (with salt if needed) then hit it with cooking spray or a dash of oil, wipe the pan down good. Then let it cool on the burner. 

Since this thread is a billion years old, I'm sure it's been posted before.......but I have one of these for cleaning mine and it works great.

www.latinachubbymature.com

ETA: I'm Senor Guapogrande, the housekeepeen' supervisor with the big mustache & chainmail apron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a couple antiques this weekend in Asheville, a #5 Lodge (approx. 8") and a 6 1/2" unmarked Wagner, both 50's era, professionally stripped bare and smooth as glass. :thumbup:
And because I get obsessive about things, finished off the collection with an old #8 Griswold today (approx. 10.5"). Probably paid too much but just couldn't pass it up. Again smooth as a baby's ### and feels about half the weight of our existing (modern era) Lodge pan at home. It's probably just slightly heavier than a quality Revere or T-Fal nonstick carcinogen pan. 

And because I get obsessive about things, finished off the collection with an old #8 Griswold today (approx. 10.5"). Probably paid too much but just couldn't pass it up. Again smooth as a baby's ### and feels about half the weight of our existing (modern era) Lodge pan at home. It's probably just slightly heavier than a quality Revere or T-Fal nonstick carcinogen pan. 
Glad you added the #8. The 5's are nice to have, but I don't find them terribly useful for many of the things I cook. 

Griswold is fantastic stuff. Though most of my collection is unmarked Lodge and BSR stuff. Griswold, and certainly Wagoner, are way to rich for my blood. Only Griswold's I have are one's that were so covered in gunk that nobody else could tell they are Griswold's (including one from about 1910 that I think is worth $150-200 now that it's restored).

Now that I sadly just don't have time to restore them myself, buying them already restored is the way to go. These things are real treasures. They are so much better than all crap most people are cooking on today, and I just love thinking about the generations of people that have used this very skillet to feed their family (well until the '80's and 90's when people either stopped cooking or switched the aformentioned carcinogen pans). 

Do any of you guys cook eggs in yours? This is the unicorn of cast iron cooking for me. I find it to be a big pain. Always stick. No problems with anything else. 

Do any of you guys cook eggs in yours? This is the unicorn of cast iron cooking for me. I find it to be a big pain. Always stick. No problems with anything else. 
I do. Cast iron is the only thing I use for eggs at home. 

A couple things that might help. It's possible in a new, less-seasoned skillet, but obviously, a very well-seasoned skillet is best. No matter what folks might say around the innerwebs, the only way to a well-seasoned skillet is to cook in it a bunch. A well-seasoned, cook-in skillet doesn't need all this maintenance advice. With my good skillets, it almost doesn't matter what I do to them. I can wash them with a scrubber and water and it doesn't matter. 

Pre-heat the skillet well and let the eggs "set" before fooling with them. I find a lot of people make this mistake with or without cast iron. It doesn't need to be screaming hot, just pre-heated. At least 10 min. or so on an electric range.

A good spatula helps. This one  is great.

A little more oil/grease early on helps. The main thing with a young pan is that you want to cook things without sticking so that you don't have to scrub the hell out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread