What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cast Iron Skillet omnibus (1 Viewer)

I use either lard or Crisco to season them. Dont use vegetable oil. It just makes it sticky and doesnt seep into the pores as good.

I dont season them in the house because the smoke is too strong. I use the BBQ pit. Get that pan hot, nearly red hot and put the lard or Crisco in it and rub the outside down too. I leave it in the pit until the coals go out. Once its cool wash it with water to get the soot off and repeat this process 2-3 times. Water will bead off of it.
Thanks :thumbup: I've never been able to get mine seasoned properly, and your post has me wondering if it's because I've always tried to use vegetable oil (and it does always come out sticky). I'll give your method a shot - it just sounds like it would work much better.

What do you do to clean it? Wait for it to cool off, then just scrub the bejesus out of it with water (no soap)?
I've always struggled with getting a really good coat of seasoning on the bottom of the pan as well. It seems like whenever I cook with it I'm going backwards, constantly stripping off the seasoning after only moderate use. The interior sides of the pan feel great, smooth, slick, and shiny, but the bottom keeps getting rough and dull. (still black though)I only clean with water and a scrub brush, while it's still warm but not hot, I wonder if I'm doing it too aggressively, but I also don't want actual bits of food getting incorporated into the seasoning.

As far as lard goes, I have a Pampered Chef stoneware baking pan that was given to me as a gift. (My grandmother thought it was a baking stone) I used it to make meatballs one time like a year ago and the thing is still greasy from all that beef fat. I'm hoping to get the same effect with lard in the CIS.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used CIS?...

I officially hate this stupid thing. I've tried fajitas, steaks, veggies, and pancakes on my CIS and I think this thing is totally overrated. It could be the smoke still lingering in my kitchen. It could be the sprayed grease in the oven I will have to clean tomorrow. It could be the burns on my hand despite using a dry oven mitt. Whatever it is, the taste benefits to date have been marginal at best and while I see some advantage in the non-stickiness once the thing is seasoned, it is a high maintenance piece of cookware in that I'm always worrying about it not getting too soapy or not being too wet or having the right burn guards. Basically, it sucks.

Go ahead, tell me how I don't have the proper oven mitt for this $20 uber-cookware. or how my kitchen's exhaust fan only reaches MACH1 and clearly should have been designed for MACH2.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used CIS?...I officially hate this stupid thing. I've tried fajitas, steaks, veggies, and pancakes on my CIS and I think this thing is totally overrated. It could be the smoke still lingering in my kitchen. It could be the sprayed grease in the oven I will have to clean tomorrow. It could be the burns on my hand despite using a dry oven mitt. Whatever it is, the taste benefits to date have been marginal at best and while I see some advantage in the non-stickiness once the thing is seasoned, it is a high maintenance piece of cookware in that I'm always worrying about it not getting too soapy or not being too wet or having the right burn guards. Basically, it sucks. Go ahead, tell me how I don't have the proper oven mitt for this $20 uber-cookware. or how my kitchen's exhaust fan only reaches MACH1 and clearly should have been designed for MACH2.
Sorry for your loss.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used CIS?...I officially hate this stupid thing. I've tried fajitas, steaks, veggies, and pancakes on my CIS and I think this thing is totally overrated. It could be the smoke still lingering in my kitchen. It could be the sprayed grease in the oven I will have to clean tomorrow. It could be the burns on my hand despite using a dry oven mitt. Whatever it is, the taste benefits to date have been marginal at best and while I see some advantage in the non-stickiness once the thing is seasoned, it is a high maintenance piece of cookware in that I'm always worrying about it not getting too soapy or not being too wet or having the right burn guards. Basically, it sucks. Go ahead, tell me how I don't have the proper oven mitt for this $20 uber-cookware. or how my kitchen's exhaust fan only reaches MACH1 and clearly should have been designed for MACH2.
Sorry for your loss.
thank you [cries into burn hand hankie]

Sorry for your loss.
Cast Iron Skillets get really hot. I use 2 oven mitts. Problem solved, Sally.

Anyone wanna buy a slightly used CIS?...

I officially hate this stupid thing. I've tried fajitas, steaks, veggies, and pancakes on my CIS and I think this thing is totally overrated. It could be the smoke still lingering in my kitchen. It could be the sprayed grease in the oven I will have to clean tomorrow. It could be the burns on my hand despite using a dry oven mitt. Whatever it is, the taste benefits to date have been marginal at best and while I see some advantage in the non-stickiness once the thing is seasoned, it is a high maintenance piece of cookware in that I'm always worrying about it not getting too soapy or not being too wet or having the right burn guards. Basically, it sucks.

Go ahead, tell me how I don't have the proper oven mitt for this $20 uber-cookware. or how my kitchen's exhaust fan only reaches MACH1 and clearly should have been designed for MACH2.
Sorry for your loss.
Cast Iron Skillets get really hot. I use 2 oven mitts. Problem solved, Sally.
I use THIS (paid $4.99 when it was on sale) and have no problem with hot handles. I just leave the pot holder on the handle all the time and switch between the two Lodge skillets depending on which size I need.They also have a few other styles in packs of 2 link but I got the one that said Max Temp just in case.

Sorry for your loss.
I grease the skillets after I wash them and it helps to season much faster and keeps them in excellent condition. I use vegetable oil but I heard Crisco is the best. Olive oil is no good because it'll leave a gunky film on your pans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up 2 Griswold fry pans, a #9 and a chrome #8 as well as a Wagner #7. Paid $50 for the 3 pieces and they are in perfect condition and ready to cook out of. The #7 is perfect for a couple of eggs and smaller stuff, I am using the #8 for fish and the #9 for my main cooking. I have owned a Lodge and it doesnt compare to these pieces. I could not be happier with them.....

Bump for this one, been meaning to jump in this world based on this thread and its been even better than I imaigned. EVERYTHING so far, tastes better in this thing!

Just picked up 2 Griswold fry pans, a #9 and a chrome #8 as well as a Wagner #7. Paid $50 for the 3 pieces and they are in perfect condition and ready to cook out of. The #7 is perfect for a couple of eggs and smaller stuff, I am using the #8 for fish and the #9 for my main cooking. I have owned a Lodge and it doesnt compare to these pieces. I could not be happier with them.....
Wow, that's a great deal. I have a hard time finding vintage CI around here. My only older pieces are an 8" Wagner from my grandmother and a 10" piece that grabbed at a flea market for a reclamation project. I have no idea what brand the 10" piece is and I'm still getting it up to speed. It was completely covered in rust and thick pitting, so I had to break out the power tools and strip it down the bare iron. That 8" Wagner is wonderful. Back then, they milled the surface, which is much more labor intensive than the casting process used today. That smooth surface is great.That said, I do love Lodge too.

Should there be a sheen after the clean? I feel like the water and scrub might be a touch aggressive based on the results others are having, but is an oil wipe down essential with each clean?

I went with a 12 inch square but with raised ridges. Is that the "standard" CIS or is a flat bottom more typical. I don't see how I'd cook an egg in it, but I at least feel better cooking meat and bacon knowing its just that little bit elevated off of the grease.

I've read through this thread, tons of good stuff but here is an ok, rudimentary link to three different steak recipes to work with the skillet on, for pan searing, oven searing and grilling.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CookingPerfectSteak.htm

Should there be a sheen after the clean? I feel like the water and scrub might be a touch aggressive based on the results others are having, but is an oil wipe down essential with each clean? I went with a 12 inch square but with raised ridges. Is that the "standard" CIS or is a flat bottom more typical. I don't see how I'd cook an egg in it, but I at least feel better cooking meat and bacon knowing its just that little bit elevated off of the grease. I've read through this thread, tons of good stuff but here is an ok, rudimentary link to three different steak recipes to work with the skillet on, for pan searing, oven searing and grilling.http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CookingPerfectSteak.htm
With my newer (1.5 year old) Lodge skillet and dutch oven, I typically lose some of the sheen if it requires a decent scrubbing. I don't mind. I just wipe it down with oil right after cleaning and drying. The old Wagner doesn't really lose much of the sheen, as it rarely needs more than a wipe to clean.I probably give my newer Lodge stuff more of a scrubbing than I should, but personally, I'd rather err on that side.Food doesn't really stick to them, but there are often some bits left that salt won't really remove. I'd rather lose some seasoning than let that stuff build up.I always use the least aggressive method that'll work though. Often, that is a quick paper towel wipe.A newer pan, especially the Lodge "knobby" finish, is probably going to need a scrub more often. It lengthens the seasoning process, but I just don't see any alternative. I'd imagine the Lodge's will quite never get to the "completely never needing to scrub them" phase of those old Griswold's or Wagner's, but they still work great.I'm fairly inexperienced to the cast iron world though, so the above sentence may not be true for a real cast iron veteran.I've never used the raised griddle skillet.

Anyone got the cleaning process on these down pat?
At a loss here myself...As long as I cook at lower temps cleanup is a breeze with some paper towels and coarse sea salt, but I also like to use mine to cook steaks using the "Alton Brown method"; however, cooking at those high temps ALWAYS leaves charred remnants embedded into the cooking surface that coarse sea salt alone is extremely difficult to remove.So am I supposed to just wear the charred remains down with my cleanings, allowing a thin layer of smooth black carbon to build up over time? I've always sought to remove ANY remnants rather than risk future meals being tainted by leftover residue. I've re-seasoned several times over the last couple years (whenever I fear that my clean-up has stripped away the seasoning). What's the correct call here? :confused:

'geoff8695 said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
At a loss here myself...As long as I cook at lower temps cleanup is a breeze with some paper towels and coarse sea salt, but I also like to use mine to cook steaks using the "Alton Brown method"; however, cooking at those high temps ALWAYS leaves charred remnants embedded into the cooking surface that coarse sea salt alone is extremely difficult to remove.So am I supposed to just wear the charred remains down with my cleanings, allowing a thin layer of smooth black carbon to build up over time? I've always sought to remove ANY remnants rather than risk future meals being tainted by leftover residue. I've re-seasoned several times over the last couple years (whenever I fear that my clean-up has stripped away the seasoning). What's the correct call here? :confused:
I have the exact same dilemma. I mean exactly the same problem. Not sure what to do but am hoping someone here has a recommendation.

'geoff8695 said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
I have the exact same dilemma. I mean exactly the same problem. Not sure what to do but am hoping someone here has a recommendation.
Me too. We need an expert

'geoff8695 said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
I hope one shows up. Stripping and reseasoning every few months doesn't seem like a good solution.

far from an expert, however

when cooking steak, throw about a cup of water in the pan after pulling the steak but the pan is still real hot, and scrape it down with a wooden spatula, deglazes real fast

anything left or any other cleaning i just put about 3/8 inch of water in the pan and bring it to a boil over high and scrape w/ the wooden spatula, pore out the water and wipe with a paper towel

i've never had any problems w/ sticking and never have to oil after cleaning, easiest thing in the kitchen to clean

Not an expert and having some of the same issues with the Lodge as everyone else. In my research a couple months ago I ran across an article, I can't remember where but it was very in depth. Anyhow, the guy basically claimed that a stainless steel spatula is essential in maintaining the 'smoothness' of the CIS, by somewhat scraping the high spots that get built up with gunk. Further research seemed to support this claim, here is the spatulathat the article recommended - the rounded edges, size, and angle of the edge are supposed to be ideal for the CIS. I haven't pulled the trigger and bought it yet but the Amazon reviews sound promising as many use it in conjunction with the CIS.

It's been awhile since this thread has been around, but I thought the idea was no water :confused:

far from an expert, howeverwhen cooking steak, throw about a cup of water in the pan after pulling the steak but the pan is still real hot, and scrape it down with a wooden spatula, deglazes real fastanything left or any other cleaning i just put about 3/8 inch of water in the pan and bring it to a boil over high and scrape w/ the wooden spatula, pore out the water and wipe with a paper toweli've never had any problems w/ sticking and never have to oil after cleaning, easiest thing in the kitchen to clean
I'm thought that pouring water in a hot skillet was a big no-no.

far from an expert, howeverwhen cooking steak, throw about a cup of water in the pan after pulling the steak but the pan is still real hot, and scrape it down with a wooden spatula, deglazes real fastanything left or any other cleaning i just put about 3/8 inch of water in the pan and bring it to a boil over high and scrape w/ the wooden spatula, pore out the water and wipe with a paper toweli've never had any problems w/ sticking and never have to oil after cleaning, easiest thing in the kitchen to clean
you put liquid in a hot pan all the time, wine, chicken stock, tomato sauce, etc. you probably don't want to dunk it in a tub of water or run it under the sink or anything but a small amount of water isn't really any different (at least for me) the the liquid you add following recipesagain, i am not an expert, if you are not comfortable with putting water in there then consult other sources or just don't do it

i should note, that when i add 3/8 inch of water to boil off anything else stuck on the pan that's after dinner when the pan has had a chance to cool down and i always make sure it is dry before putting it away

you put liquid in a hot pan all the time, wine, chicken stock, tomato sauce, etc. you probably don't want to dunk it in a tub of water or run it under the sink or anything but a small amount of water isn't really any different (at least for me) the the liquid you add following recipesagain, i am not an expert, if you are not comfortable with putting water in there then consult other sources or just don't do it
That sounds like a valid argument. I might try that out.

At a loss here myself...As long as I cook at lower temps cleanup is a breeze with some paper towels and coarse sea salt, but I also like to use mine to cook steaks using the "Alton Brown method"; however, cooking at those high temps ALWAYS leaves charred remnants embedded into the cooking surface that coarse sea salt alone is extremely difficult to remove.

So am I supposed to just wear the charred remains down with my cleanings, allowing a thin layer of smooth black carbon to build up over time? I've always sought to remove ANY remnants rather than risk future meals being tainted by leftover residue.

I've re-seasoned several times over the last couple years (whenever I fear that my clean-up has stripped away the seasoning).

What's the correct call here? :confused:
I clean mine with a plastic thingamajig like this and water. Then I use a paper towel to wipe it down. No residue left.

After cleaning and re-seasoning for the umpteenth time, I started making cornbread in my CIS, and an amazing thing happened... I can't explain it, but the seasoning seemed to take better than ever before. Maybe it's something about plopping down a half-stick of butter on a 400+ degree skillet and then smothering the cooking surface with cornbread batter and letting it work its magic in the oven for another 20+ minutes. Maybe the batter lends something that helps the seasoning process better than oil alone? Whatever the reason, now I find that cooking meat at higher temps doesn't leave behind the heavy baked on charred remains. And what is left behind is a lot easier to deal with. Don't know if this will have the same result for everyone, but if you're having trouble with meat sticking to your skillet, try re-seasoning and then baking in the CIS and see if you get similar results... :shrug:

After cleaning and re-seasoning for the umpteenth time, I started making cornbread in my CIS, and an amazing thing happened... I can't explain it, but the seasoning seemed to take better than ever before. Maybe it's something about plopping down a half-stick of butter on a 400+ degree skillet and then smothering the cooking surface with cornbread batter and letting it work its magic in the oven for another 20+ minutes. Maybe the batter lends something that helps the seasoning process better than oil alone? Whatever the reason, now I find that cooking meat at higher temps doesn't leave behind the heavy baked on charred remains. And what is left behind is a lot easier to deal with. Don't know if this will have the same result for everyone, but if you're having trouble with meat sticking to your skillet, try re-seasoning and then baking in the CIS and see if you get similar results... :shrug:
I'm finding those things to be true too.I think we can go back and forth of the specifics of cast iron care, but probably the most important thing is a very simple one: just cook with it a lot.I doubt our grandmothers and great grandmothers went to youtube to get cast iron advice. They just had a lot of people to feed.The cooking really is the seasoning and regularly heating fat up to 400+ degrees for your cornbread is a really nice way to season it. I find the hotter the pan, the less sticking to be very true too.I'd guess that most of the people that think cast iron is terrible probably aren't letting the pan preheat long enough or letting it get hot enough.

It's been awhile since this thread has been around, but I thought the idea was no water :confused:
I've never put a drop in mine. I would suspect people getting crusties on the bottom are doing some combination of too little fat and too high a temprature. Everybody keeps a jar of bacon grease handy right?

I hope one shows up. Stripping and reseasoning every few months doesn't seem like a good solution.
We have four pans that have been past down from my grandmother to my father and he gave me one of the three. Ours get cleaned with with a little hot water, salt and a paper towel. We rarely have anything stick to the pan but when we do, we take a metal spatula and scrap off the remnants. Now my father says this is what keeps the pans nice forever. Once we dry them, we put them on a burner for a minute or two just to get the pan warm, NOT hot. We then take a couple drops of vegetable oil, wipe it around the entire pan (top of the pans edge and on the handle), let it cool, then place a paper towel sheet pressed down into the pan to fully cover it and then put away. Not sure if this will help but we have some of the nicest cast iron skillets I have ever seen and the only change in caring for them has been from my grandmother using an actual towel on them to store to my father using a paper towel.

Should there be a sheen after the clean? I feel like the water and scrub might be a touch aggressive based on the results others are having, but is an oil wipe down essential with each clean? I went with a 12 inch square but with raised ridges. Is that the "standard" CIS or is a flat bottom more typical. I don't see how I'd cook an egg in it, but I at least feel better cooking meat and bacon knowing its just that little bit elevated off of the grease. I've read through this thread, tons of good stuff but here is an ok, rudimentary link to three different steak recipes to work with the skillet on, for pan searing, oven searing and grilling.http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CookingPerfectSteak.htm
Main purpose of the oil wipe down is to prevent rust.

Good morning everyone,

The below link has some good deals on Cast iron merchandise. I wanted to send it in cast anyone wanted to expand their selection.

http://1saleaday.com/

It is listed under flash deals.
Wow. :thumbup:
I really like the cast iron Hibachi, and the Dutch ovens.
Bought the fajita pan and the pizza pan already. How do Lodge Dutch ovens stack up to Le Creuset?
I have the Lodge and one simiar to Le Crueset, the Lodge is cast iron and not coated. The Le Creuset really is not great to use over an open fire.

Cold water into an aluminum pan might cause warping but a CIS shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the pan is glowing red hot and you're dipping it in an ice bath. If you are really concerned, allow the skillet to cool while you eat, then put water in the pan and heat both at the same time.

Good morning everyone,

The below link has some good deals on Cast iron merchandise. I wanted to send it in cast anyone wanted to expand their selection.

Bought the fajita pan and the pizza pan already. How do Lodge Dutch ovens stack up to Le Creuset?
I have the Lodge and one simiar to Le Crueset, the Lodge is cast iron and not coated. The Le Creuset really is not great to use over an open fire.
I was referring to the enameled Dutch ovens that are also part of the sale.

Good morning everyone,

I don't have either, so I can't speak from experience. Though, I've heard the Lodge enamel is fairly close in quality if you don't want to spend $250+ on a dutch oven. All the reviews I've seen of both seem to be of people that don't regret purchasing either. Unlike the raw Lodge products that are still made in the U.S., their enamel stuff is from China, if that matters to you.

Good morning everyone,

I don't have either, so I can't speak from experience. Though, I've heard the Lodge enamel is fairly close in quality if you don't want to spend $250+ on a dutch oven. All the reviews I've seen of both seem to be of people that don't regret purchasing either. Unlike the raw Lodge products that are still made in the U.S., their enamel stuff is from China, if that matters to you.
I think they are equil in quality and are at a much cheaper cost.

I'm finding those things to be true too.I think we can go back and forth of the specifics of cast iron care, but probably the most important thing is a very simple one: just cook with it a lot.I doubt our grandmothers and great grandmothers went to youtube to get cast iron advice. They just had a lot of people to feed.The cooking really is the seasoning and regularly heating fat up to 400+ degrees for your cornbread is a really nice way to season it. I find the hotter the pan, the less sticking to be very true too.I'd guess that most of the people that think cast iron is terrible probably aren't letting the pan preheat long enough or letting it get hot enough.
I don't find high heat needed unless searing meats, deglazing or reducing liquids.To cook eggs over-easy, I only turn the burner on #3 (about a 1/4 turn). I find going hotter than this and the eggs end up browned and the yolks get hard and will stick more often. Ideally to prevent sticking of eggs, the egg should be room temp when cooking them. I don't have the time to wait for eggs to get the chill of the fridge off, so I find the lower setting works better.Other sticking issues with meat might be that people are "checking" the meat. When searing meat, put it on and you shouldn't be lifting it till you are ready to flip. Along the side of the meat, you can tell when it is ready to flip. Depending on how done you want to cook your meat, flip once the meat along the side looks done about 1/4- 1/2 way up the meat. Then flip and cook the other side. Check the temp with a meat probe if you're not sure enough with the estimating doneness by touch. If you find that meats, pancakes, fajitas, etc. are burning on the outside before the inside is cooked like you want, then you need to turn the temperature down and perhaps put a lid on it or invert another skillet over it.I think you don't turn the stove up as high with the cast iron as you would with aluminum or stainless because the CI doesn't lose heat as fast. The highest I ever have to go is a 3/4 turn of the knob and that would be for frying with an inch or two of oil.

I find the best cast iron stuff at garage sales or restaurant supply stores that sell used pans. It usually has a seasoning patina that can stand up to steel wool if I cared to scrub with that.

I find the best cast iron stuff at garage sales or restaurant supply stores that sell used pans. It usually has a seasoning patina that can stand up to steel wool if I cared to scrub with that.
My favorite skillet is one I got at a flea market covered in rust. I still can't believe she talked me up to $10 for it, but finding used cast iron feels almost impossible around here. I just wanted it.I had to bust out the drill with a combination of wire brush bit and a rasp bit to get all the rust and gunk off. It might've been overkill, but I wanted to start fresh with it. It wasn't that great at first, but it's turned into a great skillet. Better than my Lodge stuff. Not as good as my grandma's old Wagner, but that Wagner is really small (8") to be used for most things.

I have no idea what brand it is or where it was made. The only markings are an "8" on the back and a small raised "F". I wondered if that meant a Findlay (OH or Canada) foundry.

Before, covered in rust

Down to the raw iron

Initial re-seasoning

Now

My husband and I moved recently and were able to unpack some boxes that we have had in storage for quite some time. One of the items we now have room for is our Lodge CIS.

I know the general idea of how to season/reseason, but wanted to see if my skillet's current condition is normal. Right now, the whole thing seems really sticky for whatever reason. It's like there's some kind of film covering the whole thing. Could this just be old oil from being seasoned and then not used?

If it's not normal, are there any tips on how to get it back in working shape? I'll likely try some sea salt on it later tonight, but any other ideas would be welcome.

My husband and I moved recently and were able to unpack some boxes that we have had in storage for quite some time. One of the items we now have room for is our Lodge CIS.

I know the general idea of how to season/reseason, but wanted to see if my skillet's current condition is normal. Right now, the whole thing seems really sticky for whatever reason. It's like there's some kind of film covering the whole thing. Could this just be old oil from being seasoned and then not used?

If it's not normal, are there any tips on how to get it back in working shape? I'll likely try some sea salt on it later tonight, but any other ideas would be welcome.
The stickiness is pretty normal, I think. I've heard that it comes from seasoning a cold pan, or as you mention, oil on it and not used.Mine have done that from time to time, and it seems that cooking with them regularly seems to take care of it.

If you want to try to scrub it off, I'd make sure to heat it up first. You might even find that simply heating it up takes care of most of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread