What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tiger Woods (1 Viewer)

the fact that tiger is held to a standard of anything short of a major win is a failure is all you need to know about his greatness.he will be back to world #1 by end of 2013.
Oh, I think he'll be there earlier than that. But will he get to 19 majors and pass Jack Nicklaus? That's the crucial question for Tiger, because if he does, no one can doubt he is the GOAT.Tiger is at the age when physical skills start to decline. Ever so slowly, but they do decline; so every year it becomes just a little more difficult to peak at just the right time. When Phil Mickelson won at Pebble Beach they showed how his driver swing speed had slowed about a mph each year since 2006. From 121 it was down to 116mph. Does that mean Tiger can't win? Of course not; just a little more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
the fact that tiger is held to a standard of anything short of a major win is a failure is all you need to know about his greatness.he will be back to world #1 by end of 2013.
Oh, I think he'll be there earlier than that. But will he get to 19 majors and pass Jack Nicklaus? That's the crucial question for Tiger, because if he does, no one can doubt he is the GOAT.
Only the most ridiculous Tiger haters doubt that already. The game is far deeper now, played globally and by many more people. Tiger's competition compared to Jack's is night and day, some of that of his own doing because guys who grew up watching Tiger play are now his competition. Jack's competition was a pack of US country club brats plus a couple random South Africans and the odd Englishman or two. Tiger's competing against guys from all walks of life from five continents. I couldn't find the numbers on a quick google search, but my guess is that USGA membership has skyrocketed since Jack's time, and that's just one part of it. The game has really taken off in Asia, literally there has to be hundreds of millions more serious golfers there than there were in Jack's day.ETA: Tiger also will end up accomplishing far more than Jack did outside the majors, which should be considered a substantial part of his resume.

Oh, I think he'll be there earlier than that. But will he get to 19 majors and pass Jack Nicklaus? That's the crucial question for Tiger, because if he does, no one can doubt he is the GOAT.
I agree with that statement. But if he doesn't break his record, it will always be debatable.

Oh, I think he'll be there earlier than that. But will he get to 19 majors and pass Jack Nicklaus? That's the crucial question for Tiger, because if he does, no one can doubt he is the GOAT.Tiger is at the age when physical skills start to decline. Ever so slowly, but they do decline; so every year it becomes just a little more difficult to peak at just the right time. When Phil Mickelson won at Pebble Beach they showed how his driver swing speed had slowed about a mph each year since 2006. From 121 it was down to 116mph. Does that mean Tiger can't win? Of course not; just a little more difficult.
thats looking less and less likely, but then again he is so close to putting a full 4 days together it would not shock me to see him win 2 next year and all of a sudden everything changes.he is 2 rounds away this year from having won 2 majors with one more major to go.if i had to bet i would say he wont reach jack, but at the same time it would not shock me if he passed jack in 4 years.

I'm guessing that this thread can be divided into people who watch golf on TV regularly and/or play the game frequently on one side, and people who aren't regular golfers and only watch the majors on the other. The former recognizes just how good 2012 Tiger Woods is at golf, how hard it is to win three times in a year, how big Bay Hill, the Memorial and the AT&T are on the calendar, and how steep the odds are against you in a single given tournament even if you're the best player in the world. The latter pop out of their holes four times a year to chirp. Just a hunch.
wrong.I've been a member at my club since I was 7. I play all the time. Winning three times in a year is impressive and puts a guy in the conversation for player of the year. Tiger is having a nice year for sure. I've never argued he is done. He clearly isn't. I simply believe he is a shade of his former self since ambiengate, that the problem is mainly between his ears, and that he will never return to being dominant. If he doesn't win majors, I don't care how many Bay Hills he rips off. He needs to show he can do it in the majors for me. That is the standard. Everything else is window dressing on a career of that magnitude. The Sneed record will be a big one, but not even close to the Majors record.Again, I don't think Tiger is done. I'm arguing he is not dominant and may never be again. I'm arguing a guy playing a Tiger's curent age and level of competitiveness would not be a betting favorite to win 5 more majors. I don't think he gets that done. We'll see.

I'm guessing that this thread can be divided into people who watch golf on TV regularly and/or play the game frequently on one side, and people who aren't regular golfers and only watch the majors on the other. The former recognizes just how good 2012 Tiger Woods is at golf, how hard it is to win three times in a year, how big Bay Hill, the Memorial and the AT&T are on the calendar, and how steep the odds are against you in a single given tournament even if you're the best player in the world. The latter pop out of their holes four times a year to chirp. Just a hunch.
wrong.I've been a member at my club since I was 7. I play all the time. Winning three times in a year is impressive and puts a guy in the conversation for player of the year. Tiger is having a nice year for sure. I've never argued he is done. He clearly isn't. I simply believe he is a shade of his former self since ambiengate, that the problem is mainly between his ears, and that he will never return to being dominant. If he doesn't win majors, I don't care how many Bay Hills he rips off. He needs to show he can do it in the majors for me. That is the standard. Everything else is window dressing on a career of that magnitude. The Sneed record will be a big one, but not even close to the Majors record.Again, I don't think Tiger is done. I'm arguing he is not dominant and may never be again. I'm arguing a guy playing a Tiger's curent age and level of competitiveness would not be a betting favorite to win 5 more majors. I don't think he gets that done. We'll see.
Let me ask you this: what if he wins one or two more majors in the next 4-5 years? What would your conclusion be about him at that point?

I agree with this totally. He will likely get to #1 before the end of 2012.However, there is no denying that his greatness, which AJ has given us an illustration of above (which conveniently ends right before Ambiengate), requires that you apply a different standard of success to the guy.Is anyone really going to argue that Tiger is "back" or "dominant" if his season doesn't include a major win? Winning majors is what Tiger Woods does. Or did. This year, he went in reverse on the weekend in all three majors.

Let me ask you this: what if he wins one or two more majors in the next 4-5 years? What would your conclusion be about him at that point?
It wouldn't surprise me to see him win one or two in the next four or five years. By then he would be in his 40s and I would feel even more strongly that Jack's record would be safe.Edit to add: I've already posted that I think Tiger is the GOAT if he hung it up this afternoon. No question in my mind.This is about legacy building, which in my view requires that he take the major record out, which will require that he return to dominant form again. So far I don't see it happening. That tournament was there for the taking yesterday and he hit it like ####.

I sure hope fin and his JuniorNB alias don't pay off the mods to axe this thread. There will come a time when they wish that would happen. Actually, that time probably already passed. But it'll just get worse for them, and more awesome for everyone else.
Can you show a post in this thread by either of us which said he'd never win another tournament? Or wouldn't be competitive? Or that even stated he'd never win another major? When this thread was created, Woods was a virtual lock for the all-time majors record. He hasn't won a single one since. He has to do a whole lot of winning to make Finless, or me, or anyone else, want this thread deleted. And I don't mean winning a few rinky dink tournaments and being in the chase on Sunday for a few majors. The dude has to start winning a few. In 2009, he was head and shoulders above anyone else in the sport. Guys would tremble when they saw him on the leaderboard come Sunday. His fall from grace may be unprecedented in sports history. The original post in this thread states that the Golden Bear has nothing to worry about. It was a genius prediction. If anything, YOU should be going back and deleting your posts. Especially the ones where you ask why Finless is hiding after Woods leads a major on a Thursday, only to choke once again over the weekend.
Translation- I'm far too busy trying to cover the tracks of my "Jeremy Lin is one of the best PGs in the NBA" predictions to worry about how silly I look in this thread.
Translation - Uh oh. We are getting called out for moving the goal posts. Time for to pull out another Red Herring.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him win one or two in the next four or five years. By then he would be in his 40s and I would feel even more strongly that Jack's record would be safe.
I agree that his chances of reaching 19 are probably well under 50%. But that's a far different position than some posters have taken here. If you read through the thread you'll see the same people declaring him "done" over and over, posting about it after every missed cut or withdrawal, dismissing that World Golf Challenge win, dismissing the Bay Hill win, and then finally settling on "nothing matters unless he wins a major" as it became clear that he's currently the best player in golf. Those are the people I was distinguishing from regular players/watchers of the game in the post you initially replied to.

I agree that his chances of reaching 19 are probably well under 50%. But that's a far different position than some posters have taken here. If you read through the thread you'll see the same people declaring him "done" over and over, posting about it after every missed cut or withdrawal, dismissing that World Golf Challenge win, dismissing the Bay Hill win, and then finally settling on "nothing matters unless he wins a major" as it became clear that he's currently the best player in golf. Those are the people I was distinguishing from regular players/watchers of the game in the post you initially replied to.
I would say he is currently one of the best players in golf. Certainly not in a tier by himself at this point. He used to be on a different planet.

I would say he is currently one of the best players in golf. Certainly not in a tier by himself at this point. He used to be on a different planet.
Agree. I'd say he's the best, and the oddsmakers would agree considering he was the favorite to win a major tournament on a links course he didn't even muster a Top 10 on when he was the best player by a wide margin back in 2001. But he's not on a tier by himself. That's a far cry from the position being taken by some in this thread over the last year or two.

Tiger's been so busy working on his full swing. Not perfect, especially with the driver, but he can get it around. Mid irons are great. Bottom line is inside 150 he used to be money. He's not right now - probably because he's had bigger issues to fry. Even on his round on Saturday, his issue was he didn't up and down from 3 relatively easy positions. Chips were short, didn't make his putts. I think he focuses on short game next. He'll be a streaky putter from here on out - he just doesn't have the bold confidence he did before. That happens with age. But no excuse for not being able to stick sand wedges from 100 yards, or getting up and down from the fringe.

He's nowhere near done. The issue with Majors is the added pressure, and now he feels the clock ticking. So Jack's record is a question mark. Week to week though - I think you'll see him climb to #1. By the way - is Luke Donald the least impactful #1 player in history?

When leading or tied after 3rd round of a major he was.

Well prior to YE Yang anyway...

I should've been clearer.
He hasn't been in that position since, so how can you draw any conclusions?
:lmao: I believe you're at least bright enough to draw a conclusion from your own statement. It used to be a common occurence.
Sigh.The conversation was about Tiger being "invincible." Posters pointed out that he never was. Poster then clarified that he only meant to say that he was invincible in X circumstance. I then pointed out that he hasn't been in X circumstance so his point was meaningless.

Setting aside the obvious trolling/stupidity (can't figure out which he is) of JuniorNB, the parallels between the Tiger haters and the LeBron haters are really striking. They keep changing the criticism to fit the narrative.

For LeBron, it was "he chokes in the playoffs" or "he chokes in the fourth quarter" or "he can't make the big shot," and he knocked those off one by one until they were left only with "he hasn't won a title." And now the haters are mostly silent.

This is following an almost identical pattern. "His game is shot, he'll never be great again," to "he'll never win again," to "he'll never be the best in the world again," and now all that's left is "he'll never win a major again." And that will eventually happen too, just as it did with LeBron, and all the haters will be left to move on to the next icon upon whom to project their own insecurities. The resemblance is uncanny. Any theories on who will be next after Tiger?
sighYou might want to go back and read the very first post of this three year-old thread. No one is moving the goal posts except the Tiger knobbers.
You might want to stop bringing all the rope necessary to hang yourself. Not every post in the thread is addressing the OP. Sometimes in life, people start new conversations. The above scenario was a new conversation. Grunt twice if you understand.
:lmao: I've never really dealt with JuniorNB before. Is this his schtick? What's the notebook on him say? Honest question: is he in high school?

Watching the final round yesterday, I had a hunch this might be the tournament that would make the Tiger knobbers' heads explode. This thread has certainly taken on a nasty vibe now. I almost hope Woods finally wins one soon. The frustration and longing to be able to tell Finless, me, and the other non-warshipprs that 'you told us so' is really starting to take it's toll. :popcorn:
He's currently the best golfer in the world. You're already wrong.

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.
What about this has not proved profound?
For starters, the very first sentence.Following that, he's not "competitive." He's the best golfer in the world. He's won more tournaments than anyone this year.

Following that, I'll give you "the fear factor" bit. If Fin had started a thread that said "I'm calling it, Tiger Woods will still be the best golfer in the world, but he's lost the 'fear factor'," then this might have been a pretty spot-on OP.

As to the last point, nobody can yet say Jack is "out of the woods." Time will tell. I'd gladly put a lot of dollars down to say he'll break that record. He'll probably break it easily.

He's done. He'll be competitive but he lost the fear factor. Looks like The Gold Bear might be out of the woods.
What about this has not proved profound?
The fact that he was dominant in 2009? Six wins, three 2nds, 14 top 10s, #1 in all-around category, #1 birdie average, won FedEx Cup, $20M+ in prize money, #1 in scrambling, #1 in scoring average, #1 in...you get the point.http://web.tigerwoods.com/onTour/seasonStatistics?year=2009

And the fact that he has managed to bring himself back to where he is now from where he was even just one year ago and is still two years ahead of Jack's pace. "Looks like the 'Gold' Bear might be out of the woods?" Before the fire hydrant? Please. He may have temporarily lost the "fear factor", whatever that means, but calling that as though the final accounting is in is silly.
All this.

Yes...like when you claim those supporting Woods are frustrated.

You make things up simply to keep up your usual crap...just as you do with RP on FFT.

You are the only one who seems to be getting so nasty...you can't go a few posts without calling someone a knobber...hell, go back a few pages and read the other childish names you sling.

That reeks of desperation.
I've come to the conclusion that he has to be a kid. Probably high school.
:hifive: No grown man gets that much pleasure from using the word "knobbers." I'm embarrassed to be a part of this thread really.

Worst case is the ball coming back and touching him.
Yeah...it was not a great move at all.I think the overconfidence got to him and the jump he would get if he makes that huge shot.Think of how easily that shot up against the tree could have gone bad years ago.
Sometimes you take big shots and miss. I have no problem with this. If anything, I love the tenacity.

New theory: JuniorNB is a fin alias littering the thread to try and get it axed. Only possible explanation.

2012 Eldrick is batting 0.000, 0 for 3. Same for 2011, 2010 and 2009.

Eldrick's Majors trophies: My majors

Eldrick's ham and egger tourney trophies: Who cares

The only ones who care about his ranking and his ham and egger wins are you swingers. He could give a rat's ### about those. All those are for are to boost his bank account. When he fails to win a major, he will be first to tell everryone that he achieved nothing.

Keep swinging away.

JuniorNB (does NB stand for Nobber?) chimes in a thread where all he does is try to parrot Finless, who probably is laughing how JuniorNB is the one who he really trolled but has him defending Finless.

Let me put it this way: JuniorNB is really, really stupid. Because somewhere early in this thread Cuba Gooding Jr. came up in this conversation.

2012 Eldrick is batting 0.000, 0 for 3. Same for 2011, 2010 and 2009.

Eldrick's Majors trophies: My majors

Eldrick's ham and egger tourney trophies: Who cares

The only ones who care about his ranking and his ham and egger wins are you swingers. He could give a rat's ### about those. All those are for are to boost his bank account. When he fails to win a major, he will be first to tell everryone that he achieved nothing.

Keep swinging away.
Now this is real HUCKSCO ####.

:lmao: I believe you're at least bright enough to draw a conclusion from your own statement. It used to be a common occurence.
Sigh.The conversation was about Tiger being "invincible." Posters pointed out that he never was. Poster then clarified that he only meant to say that he was invincible in X circumstance. I then pointed out that he hasn't been in X circumstance so his point was meaningless.

Setting aside the obvious trolling/stupidity (can't figure out which he is) of JuniorNB, the parallels between the Tiger haters and the LeBron haters are really striking. They keep changing the criticism to fit the narrative.

For LeBron, it was "he chokes in the playoffs" or "he chokes in the fourth quarter" or "he can't make the big shot," and he knocked those off one by one until they were left only with "he hasn't won a title." And now the haters are mostly silent.

This is following an almost identical pattern. "His game is shot, he'll never be great again," to "he'll never win again," to "he'll never be the best in the world again," and now all that's left is "he'll never win a major again." And that will eventually happen too, just as it did with LeBron, and all the haters will be left to move on to the next icon upon whom to project their own insecurities. The resemblance is uncanny. Any theories on who will be next after Tiger?
sighYou might want to go back and read the very first post of this three year-old thread. No one is moving the goal posts except the Tiger knobbers.
You might want to stop bringing all the rope necessary to hang yourself. Not every post in the thread is addressing the OP. Sometimes in life, people start new conversations. The above scenario was a new conversation. Grunt twice if you understand.
:lmao: I've never really dealt with JuniorNB before. Is this his schtick? What's the notebook on him say? Honest question: is he in high school?
I've met the guy. Despite the frosted tips he's a pretty cool dude and a couple of decades removed from high school. Verdict = shtick.

Tiger's been so busy working on his full swing. Not perfect, especially with the driver, but he can get it around. Mid irons are great. Bottom line is inside 150 he used to be money. He's not right now - probably because he's had bigger issues to fry. Even on his round on Saturday, his issue was he didn't up and down from 3 relatively easy positions. Chips were short, didn't make his putts. I think he focuses on short game next. He'll be a streaky putter from here on out - he just doesn't have the bold confidence he did before. That happens with age. But no excuse for not being able to stick sand wedges from 100 yards, or getting up and down from the fringe. He's nowhere near done. The issue with Majors is the added pressure, and now he feels the clock ticking. So Jack's record is a question mark. Week to week though - I think you'll see him climb to #1. By the way - is Luke Donald the least impactful #1 player in history?
Yes. And do you know why?No majors. Which is why it will be irrelevant when Woods gets to be #1, if he doesn't get some more majors.

Yes...like when you claim those supporting Woods are frustrated.

You make things up simply to keep up your usual crap...just as you do with RP on FFT.

You are the only one who seems to be getting so nasty...you can't go a few posts without calling someone a knobber...hell, go back a few pages and read the other childish names you sling.

That reeks of desperation.
I've come to the conclusion that he has to be a kid. Probably high school.
:hifive: No grown man gets that much pleasure from using the word "knobbers." I'm embarrassed to be a part of this thread really.
Probably time you tucked your tail and ran away anyhow. This certainly isn't your finest hour. Bye now.

I've met the guy. Despite the frosted tips he's a pretty cool dude and a couple of decades removed from high school. Verdict = shtick.
Hey! Shush

JuniorNB (does NB stand for Nobber?) chimes in a thread where all he does is try to parrot Finless, who probably is laughing how JuniorNB is the one who he really trolled but has him defending Finless. Let me put it this way: JuniorNB is really, really stupid. Because somewhere early in this thread Cuba Gooding Jr. came up in this conversation.
I've been in this thread since day one, page one, Slim. And just because I share Finless' opinion, doesn't mean you have to cry like a little girl. We get it. You love Tiger. You want to pretend he's back to being the feared, dominate player he was pre-affair spree. But why get so angry because the people with actual eyes and brains just don't see it? Nothing wrong with worshipping your idol. We all do that. Own it, brutha. Just don't get so defensive about it. He'll win another major someday. I just know it. I state that in post #24 of this thread. Keep your chin up. ANd remember, not everyone who disagrees with you is stupid. That's a bit childish.

You know things are bad for you when Woz brings up frosted tips.

JuniorNB (does NB stand for Nobber?) chimes in a thread where all he does is try to parrot Finless, who probably is laughing how JuniorNB is the one who he really trolled but has him defending Finless. Let me put it this way: JuniorNB is really, really stupid. Because somewhere early in this thread Cuba Gooding Jr. came up in this conversation.
I've been in this thread since day one, page one, Slim. And just because I share Finless' opinion, doesn't mean you have to cry like a little girl. We get it. You love Tiger. You want to pretend he's back to being the feared, dominate player he was pre-affair spree. But why get so angry because the people with actual eyes and brains just don't see it? Nothing wrong with worshipping your idol. We all do that. Own it, brutha. Just don't get so defensive about it. He'll win another major someday. I just know it. I state that in post #24 of this thread. Keep your chin up. ANd remember, not everyone who disagrees with you is stupid. That's a bit childish.
Now this is really horrid shtick. You can let this one steam up a bit as far as a pile.

'JuniorNB said:
'tommyboy said:
'JuniorNB said:
'Zow said:
]I've met the guy. Despite the frosted tips he's a pretty cool dude and a couple of decades removed from high school. Verdict = shtick.
Hey! Shush
jesus, frosted tips? are you still in high school. Remind me never to take anything you have to say seriously, Spicoli.
I don't have frosted tips you gullible moron.
Even more horrid shtick.

I just love how the Tiger lovers have decided to attack me since Woods lost yet-another major and they are pretty much out of bullets. What a desperate bunch. Like I said, I hope he wins the PGA. I might have to fear for my safety, otherwise. hehe

I just love how the Tiger knobbers have decided to attack me since Woods lost yet-another major and they are pretty much out of bullets. What a desperate bunch. Like I said, I hope he wins the PGA. I might have to fear for my safety, otherwise. hehe
Lather.Rinse.Repeat

I just love how the Tiger knobbers have decided to attack me since Woods lost yet-another major and they are pretty much out of bullets. What a desperate bunch. Like I said, I hope he wins the PGA. I might have to fear for my safety, otherwise. hehe
Lather.Rinse.Repeat
Better luck next time, drummer. I'm pulling for you. Sorry this loss made you come unraveled.
Some solid work here.

It's a crazy day when Otis is the one that brings the sanity to a thread. Tiger "done"? Laughable stuff.
Dude! Goal posts! Knobbers!
:lmao: :excited:
Dude! Frosted Tips!
LOL. Unraveled, drummer. I really hope Tiger wins a major soon. Be honest, are you crying?
Lot's of ways to pad a post count here.
As you're proving with your last four posts. Not a lot of Tiger material. If you ever feel like discussing the actual thread topic, let me know. Meanwhile, you can personally attack me since your boy still can't seem to get his act together in the majors. Go ahead, I can take it. In fact, it's hilarious to me to watch you get so frustrated because a guy doesn't share your mancrush on a despicable human being. :popcorn:

It's a crazy day when Otis is the one that brings the sanity to a thread. Tiger "done"? Laughable stuff.
Dude! Goal posts! Knobbers!
:lmao: :excited:
Dude! Frosted Tips!
LOL. Unraveled, drummer. I really hope Tiger wins a major soon. Be honest, are you crying?
Lot's of ways to pad a post count here.
As you're proving with your last four posts. Not a lot of Tiger material. If you ever feel like discussing the actual thread topic, let me know. Meanwhile, you can personally attack me since your boy still can't seem to get his act together in the majors. Go ahead, I can take it. In fact, it's hilarious to me to watch you get so frustrated because a guy doesn't share your mancrush on a despicable human being. :popcorn:
Here's a hint. Everyone who posts in this thread about wanting Tiger to do well or to win isn't his "boy" or isn't a fan boy......blah blah blah.Your act is wearing old.

Users who are viewing this thread