What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2012 Off Season Thread (1 Viewer)

'dehaven123 said:
i dont know how this guy would know this, im putting very little stock in his guess.heck, he doesn't even mention jarvis jenkins in his D line assessment.he doesn't seem to plugged into the skins to me.
Yeah, I noticed that me missed Jenkins too. My point about his prediction is not that he's a smart guy about the Skins. It's that, if that happens in the defensive backfield this year, the Skins are in rough shape.

'dehaven123 said:
i dont know how this guy would know this, im putting very little stock in his guess.heck, he doesn't even mention jarvis jenkins in his D line assessment.he doesn't seem to plugged into the skins to me.
Yeah, I noticed that me missed Jenkins too. My point about his prediction is not that he's a smart guy about the Skins. It's that, if that happens in the defensive backfield this year, the Skins are in rough shape.
Right. But it's not going to happen. He forgot about Josh Wilson.

From PFT

Free agent linebacker Bryan Kehl, who played for the Rams last season, is visiting Washington today, and Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that there’s a strong chance a deal will get done. Kehl, who played in 14 games and started one for the Rams last year, has also visited the Dolphins. In five NFL seasons, three with the Giants and two with the Rams, Kehl has been mostly a backup linebacker and special teams player.

Mike Mayock

“I can speak much more adequately about him from what I’ve seen on tape, which doesn’t really tell you much about his character. What I saw on tape that I liked from a character perspective is his ability to win close games; the game he won against Oklahoma, for instance; the way his teammates seemed to rally around him at his pro day in Waco. I think he’s got a naturally charismatic personality that will draw players to him. I think wide receivers are already lining up to try and play in Washington with him.”
Mayock said he admires the Redskins’ decision-making.

“I give Mike Shanahan and that organization a ton of credit, because you can argue all you want about whether or not they gave away too many draft picks, but at the end of the day, if this kid is as good as they think he is, it won’t matter.”

From PFT

Free agent linebacker Bryan Kehl, who played for the Rams last season, is visiting Washington today, and Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that there’s a strong chance a deal will get done. Kehl, who played in 14 games and started one for the Rams last year, has also visited the Dolphins. In five NFL seasons, three with the Giants and two with the Rams, Kehl has been mostly a backup linebacker and special teams player.
[Clark Judge]Kehl will start for Washington.[/Clark Judge]

From PFT

Kehl signed with the Skins.
Kehl has mostly been a special teams player in his five-year NFL career, although with the Redskins having only three inside linebackers on the roster (London Fletcher, Perry Riley and Lorenzo Alexander), Kehl may end up getting significant playing time on defense as well.

Draft day stories from Vinnie.

Like, the year that we were gonna take Orapko [sic], you know, we were trying to trade up with everybody, trying to trade up. Then Denver’s on the clock the pick before us, and I called them. How about this, I offer them a third-round pick to swap, and they called me back and they said No, you’re gonna get your guy, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to trade. How about that one?
I remember one time we had a trade, we were in the second round and had a trade done. I called Stump Mitchell the running back coach, I said ‘Stump, I can trade right now, I can get the second-round pick. We can take Shady McCoy. Do you want him? I can get it done. We’re on the clock. I’m on the phone.’ He said, ‘No, I don’t want him.’ I said okay. I said I’m not trading for a guy if my position coach does not want the guy.”

Last edited by a moderator:
“When you have a Hall of Fame quarterback come in there, and clash with a Hall of Fame coach like Mike Shanahan, it was pretty obvious that they didn’t get along,” the projected future face of the Redskins said in an interview for ESPN’s E:60 that will air Tuesday night. “Mike Shanahan’s a big, big person, a big personality, a great coach, and Donovan was a great quarterback. They just didn’t get right. Hopefully I can go in and be that great quarterback that coach Shanahan can coach, and egos won’t get in the way ‘cause we’re all fighting for the same thing.”
Robert Griffin III

Draft day stories from Vinnie.

Like, the year that we were gonna take Orapko [sic], you know, we were trying to trade up with everybody, trying to trade up. Then Denver’s on the clock the pick before us, and I called them. How about this, I offer them a third-round pick to swap, and they called me back and they said No, you’re gonna get your guy, don’t worry about it, you don’t have to trade. How about that one?
I remember one time we had a trade, we were in the second round and had a trade done. I called Stump Mitchell the running back coach, I said ‘Stump, I can trade right now, I can get the second-round pick. We can take Shady McCoy. Do you want him? I can get it done. We’re on the clock. I’m on the phone.’ He said, ‘No, I don’t want him.’ I said okay. I said I’m not trading for a guy if my position coach does not want the guy.”
:lmao:

Redskins sign Neil Rackershttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/kicker-neil-rackers-says-hes-signed-with-the-redskins/2012/04/24/gIQAhUfkfT_blog.html
Mike Shanahan has been a big-time supporter of Graham Gano. I think Gano just had token competition in camp last year.

Gano finished 35th in FG% in 2010 and 30th in 2011. I guess you could say he's improving, but he's just not very good.

I thought Gano was toast last season when they brought in Shayne Graham. If he can continue to improve over this offseason, Rackers may have a tougher competition than he expected.

When is the last time the Skins had a kicker you actually counted on in the clutch?
Chip Lohmiller had some solid seasons. :thumbup:
Remember early in his career when he had a string of hitting the goalpost and earned the nickname Chip Polekiller? Ahh, the good ol' days.
My favorite nickname from old time Redskins teams was "Sore Toe Mosley" but that guy was money! He hit a lot of big kicks back in the day, to the point where Dallas accused him of having a steel plate in his shoe...

'dgreen said:
Gano finished 35th in FG% in 2010 and 30th in 2011. I guess you could say he's improving, but he's just not very good.
5 of his 10 misses were blocks. Take those kicks away and he is in the top 10 at 86%. Some of those blocks may be on him. I remember them being on the line though.

'dgreen said:
When he's 60 he'll be nailing them all the time.

'dgreen said:
5 of his 10 misses were blocks. Take those kicks away and he is in the top 10 at 86%. Some of those blocks may be on him. I remember them being on the line though.
The Redskins were far and away the NFL leaders last year in having their own FG's blocked. 12.2% of their FG's attempted were blocked.stats

'dgreen said:
The Redskins were far and away the NFL leaders last year in having their own FG's blocked. 12.2% of their FG's attempted were blocked.stats
this is why I'm not ready to give up on Gano. let's show some patience for once and let a young guy with a big leg become a dependable guy. he has a big leg.

RGIII Interview on 106.7 The Fanhttp://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/04/25/grant-paulsen-interviews-robert-griffin-iii-in-new-york-city/Scroll to the bottom to get the audio link...it's a little over 6 minutes. That guy is so polished in how he speaks. You could not pick a better "face of the franchise" -- providing of course that his play on the field is just as impressive...
loved his response when asked about his silence concerning the unnamed scout who called him selfish. said he may have replied had there been other "co-signers." this guy is already one of the most well spoken athletes I think I've ever heard. if he can play, I'm full-on manloving him.

'dgreen said:
this is why I'm not ready to give up on Gano. let's show some patience for once and let a young guy with a big leg become a dependable guy. he has a big leg.
I'm not ready to give up on him either. His kickoffs are generally deeper than those of past Redskin kickers have been, and opponent field position matters a lot.

'dgreen said:
I'm not ready to give up on him either. His kickoffs are generally deeper than those of past Redskin kickers have been, and opponent field position matters a lot.
A strong kickoff leg isn't as valuable anymore with the new kickoff rules.

'dgreen said:
A strong kickoff leg isn't as valuable anymore with the new kickoff rules.
That's the conventional wisdom, but I'm not sure it's correct. Conventional wisdom at the beginning of last season is that almost no kickoffs would be returned in 2011, and that hardly worked out to be the case.

From Pro Football Talk

Brandon Meriweather arrested for drunk drivingRedskins safety Brandon Meriweather was arrested early this morning for drunk driving, according to multiple reports out of Arlington, Virginia. Meriweather was pulled over by Arlington County Police at 2:54 a.m., according to ARLnow.com. Officers smelled alcohol on his breath and performed a field sobriety test, which Meriweather failed. Meriweather told police he was driving home from a club but couldn’t remember the name of the club. After refusing a breathalyzer, Meriweather was arrested and spent the night at Arlington County Detention Center. He has been released. Meriweather signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Redskins last month.
This guy is a piece of trash. New England used a high draft pick on him and then cut him just because he was such a bad character guy, even though it left them horribly thin in the secondary.

From Pro Football Talk

Brandon Meriweather arrested for drunk driving

Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather was arrested early this morning for drunk driving, according to multiple reports out of Arlington, Virginia. Meriweather was pulled over by Arlington County Police at 2:54 a.m., according to ARLnow.com. Officers smelled alcohol on his breath and performed a field sobriety test, which Meriweather failed. Meriweather told police he was driving home from a club but couldn’t remember the name of the club. After refusing a breathalyzer, Meriweather was arrested and spent the night at Arlington County Detention Center. He has been released. Meriweather signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Redskins last month.
This guy is a piece of trash. New England used a high draft pick on him and then cut him just because he was such a bad character guy, even though it left them horribly thin in the secondary.
link
Police say Meriweather claimed he was driving home from a club in D.C., but couldn’t remember the name of the club.

Are they selling RG3 jerseys yet? :popcorn:

quick question. I will be in DC for work all week. Is there a place i could pick an RG3 jersey up? Or would i have to order it online.

Last edited by a moderator:
So which local DC company will be the first to have RGIII in a TV commercial?

Capital One Bank?

Hadeed Carpets?

American Service Center?

Easterns Motors? Because your job's your credit!

Other?

quick question. I will be in DC for work all week. Is there a place i could pick an RG3 jersey up? Or would i have to order it online.
It's looks as though you will have no problem going to the Redskins store.
thanks. Ideally i would love to grab one in person if possible though. Do you think any shops will have them?
Pinky that the point, there are official Redskins stores through out the DC area that are walk in traffic stores. Just look up the locations, but they might be flying off the racks.

It's looks as though you will have no problem going to the Redskins store.
thanks. Ideally i would love to grab one in person if possible though. Do you think any shops will have them?
Pinky that the point, there are official Redskins stores through out the DC area that are walk in traffic stores. Just look up the locations, but they might be flying off the racks.
Most major shopping malls around here have Redskins stores.

Users who are viewing this thread