What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Redskins 2012 Off Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Are they selling RG3 jerseys yet? :popcorn:

quick question. I will be in DC for work all week. Is there a place i could pick an RG3 jersey up? Or would i have to order it online.
It's looks as though you will have no problem going to the Redskins store.
thanks. Ideally i would love to grab one in person if possible though. Do you think any shops will have them?
Pinky that the point, there are official Redskins stores through out the DC area that are walk in traffic stores. Just look up the locations, but they might be flying off the racks.
Most major shopping malls around here have Redskins stores.
Actually, according to their web site, it's down to Tysons, Montgomery Mall, Dulles Town Center, and Fed Ex Field. There used to be many, many more.

Are they selling RG3 jerseys yet? :popcorn:

quick question. I will be in DC for work all week. Is there a place i could pick an RG3 jersey up? Or would i have to order it online.
It's looks as though you will have no problem going to the Redskins store.
thanks. Ideally i would love to grab one in person if possible though. Do you think any shops will have them?
Pinky that the point, there are official Redskins stores through out the DC area that are walk in traffic stores. Just look up the locations, but they might be flying off the racks.
Most major shopping malls around here have Redskins stores.
Actually, according to their web site, it's down to Tysons, Montgomery Mall, Dulles Town Center, and Fed Ex Field. There used to be many, many more.
Huh...Only malls I go to are Tysons or Montgomery Mall, and I don't go there often. I guess I'm stuck in 2005 with a Arrington 56 jersey...

It looks like there's some really nice OL depth left after round 1. It'd b be nice if a good value G, C, or OT fell to us at 3.06, although trading down for more picks wouldn't hurt if it's an option.

I don't think Konz, Cordy Glenn, or Adams will last but we may have a shot at someone like Silatolu, Jonathan Martin, Massie, or Z Sanders. :thumbup:

It looks like there's some really nice OL depth left after round 1. It'd b be nice if a good value G, C, or OT fell to us at 3.06, although trading down for more picks wouldn't hurt if it's an option.I don't think Konz, Cordy Glenn, or Adams will last but we may have a shot at someone like Silatolu, Jonathan Martin, Massie, or Z Sanders. :thumbup:
True, there are several available and the possibility of the slide could continue. Considering the second round is riddled with teams that have multiple picks. That being said, I think that affords a few of them the opportunity to take a chance on a OL, even if it's not the greatest need. I think the depth and quality that is supposed to be there around our pick will end up being what they projected, unfortunately.

It looks like there's some really nice OL depth left after round 1. It'd b be nice if a good value G, C, or OT fell to us at 3.06, although trading down for more picks wouldn't hurt if it's an option.

I don't think Konz, Cordy Glenn, or Adams will last but we may have a shot at someone like Silatolu, Jonathan Martin, Massie, or Z Sanders. :thumbup:
From Keim's weekly e-mail report:
It’s tough to read between the lines when it comes to draft info, but Shanahan did drop a couple interesting quotes when discussing the right tackle position. It almost seemed like he was letting fans know it wasn’t the priority for him that it is for others. He talked about how next year’s draft could be deep in corners and tackles. He talked about how much progress Jammal Brown has made and what Tyler Polumbus did as a reserve (with limited practices) and how they just signed Jason Lee. Don’t know if they’ll bypass this spot or not, but if they do you’ll know why. My take: Though I think they need a good young tackle to groom — tough to rely on a 31-year-old tackle staying healthy given the past two years — I’m a big believer in taking the best player available. And in the third round that player could be a slot receiver or a running back. If that’s the case, I’d be all for either one. You just don’t get anywhere only drafting for need.
More and more it seems to me they basically like what they have at OL. They'll probably sign a couple more Jason Lee types to compete in camp, but I'm not predicting they use a draft pick on an OL that could start this year. Personally, I'm OK with that. The more I think about the production they got out of a group of journeymen and backups at the end of last season, the more I'm comfortable believing that they can be successful with what they have this year.

'DCThunder said:
So which local DC company will be the first to have RGIII in a TV commercial?

Capital One Bank?

Hadeed Carpets?

American Service Center?

Easterns Motors? Because your job's your credit!
Please let this happen. Please please please.Or Theatervision.

From Keim's weekly e-mail report:

It’s tough to read between the lines when it comes to draft info, but Shanahan did drop a couple interesting quotes when discussing the right tackle position. It almost seemed like he was letting fans know it wasn’t the priority for him that it is for others. He talked about how next year’s draft could be deep in corners and tackles. He talked about how much progress Jammal Brown has made and what Tyler Polumbus did as a reserve (with limited practices) and how they just signed Jason Lee. Don’t know if they’ll bypass this spot or not, but if they do you’ll know why. My take: Though I think they need a good young tackle to groom — tough to rely on a 31-year-old tackle staying healthy given the past two years — I’m a big believer in taking the best player available. And in the third round that player could be a slot receiver or a running back. If that’s the case, I’d be all for either one. You just don’t get anywhere only drafting for need.
More and more it seems to me they basically like what they have at OL. They'll probably sign a couple more Jason Lee types to compete in camp, but I'm not predicting they use a draft pick on an OL that could start this year. Personally, I'm OK with that. The more I think about the production they got out of a group of journeymen and backups at the end of last season, the more I'm comfortable believing that they can be successful with what they have this year.
Chris Russell said this afternoon on ESPN980 that the Redskins plan to work Cooley and Jamaal Brown really hard in minicamp, decide then if either or both will hold up to a full year's pounding, and part ways right then if it seems they won't. Sounded very much like it's make-or-break for both of them.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Their O-line wasn't even average last year, or the year before. When was the last time it was? There's no frame of reference here for what a good offensive line should be any more, unless you watch other teams' games. Getting by on substandard O-line play just doesn't cut it, unless the longterm goal is .500.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Their O-line wasn't even average last year, or the year before. When was the last time it was? There's no frame of reference here for what a good offensive line should be any more, unless you watch other teams' games. Getting by on substandard O-line play just doesn't cut it, unless the longterm goal is .500.
But is reaching for some leftovers in the 3rd round better than signing a couple extra vets to compete for spots? I think we all agree that if there is value in going OLine it makes sense. I with sidewinder though in that we shouldn't reach for one while passing up a potential starter at a different position.

But is reaching for some leftovers in the 3rd round better than signing a couple extra vets to compete for spots? I think we all agree that if there is value in going OLine it makes sense. I with sidewinder though in that we shouldn't reach for one while passing up a potential starter at a different position.
Nobody's going to say they're in favor of "reaching", although we just reached like hell for Griffin. :) But at the beginning of the 2nd round, there are a lot of good offensive linemen on the board, and my guess is that more than one of them will be available early in the 3rd when the Skins pick. I'm always in favor of signing cheap vets to compete for roster spots, but relying on doing so to come up with starters really is a bad plan.

Nobody's going to say they're in favor of "reaching", although we just reached like hell for Griffin. :) But at the beginning of the 2nd round, there are a lot of good offensive linemen on the board, and my guess is that more than one of them will be available early in the 3rd when the Skins pick. I'm always in favor of signing cheap vets to compete for roster spots, but relying on doing so to come up with starters really is a bad plan.
I guess I misunderstood your post. Thought you were implying going anything but OLine would be a mistake.

These are the rouunds that make or break your draft. And the draft is the core to building a team.

In the 3rd round, I just want them to pick someone who turns into a real player. Go with best football player avaiable and worry about needs and holes later.

In the later rounds, they need to find players who will make the team and contribute. Hopefully come up with some starters or valueable role players.

These are the rouunds that make or break your draft. And the draft is the core to building a team.In the 3rd round, I just want them to pick someone who turns into a real player. Go with best football player avaiable and worry about needs and holes later.In the later rounds, they need to find players who will make the team and contribute. Hopefully come up with some starters or valueable role players.
I'm only following on an online draft tracker. Is anyone watching? Did they just actually trade their 3rd round pick to the Bills? What did they get in return?

These are the rouunds that make or break your draft. And the draft is the core to building a team.In the 3rd round, I just want them to pick someone who turns into a real player. Go with best football player avaiable and worry about needs and holes later.In the later rounds, they need to find players who will make the team and contribute. Hopefully come up with some starters or valueable role players.
I'm only following on an online draft tracker. Is anyone watching? Did they just actually trade their 3rd round pick to the Bills? What did they get in return?
Bills 7th rd

Shanny must really like Helu and/or Royster to pass on Miller there. Whoever they took has a pretty low grade on nfl.com for whatever that is worth.

so this kid has a weight issue and lost a year due to academics?

nick name: Flounder

honestly, I don't know the dif btw Massie & LeRib, but OL depth is nice. Mayock likes him, so I'm onboard.

but let's stop with the popular myth that the Skins have a horrible OL. last year, the OL gelled enough to pave the way for 5 100-yard rookie rushers over the last 6 games.

just watch the games people

so this kid has a weight issue and lost a year due to academics?nick name: Flounderhonestly, I don't know the dif btw Massie & LeRib, but OL depth is nice. Mayock likes him, so I'm onboard. but let's stop with the popular myth that the Skins have a horrible OL. last year, the OL gelled enough to pave the way for 5 100-yard rookie rushers over the last 6 games. just watch the games people
The OL was terrible in the beginning of the season and got significantly better during the season. And that was without Litchensteiger and later, Trent Williams.

3rd round = In Bruce & Shanny we trust!

I side with the professionals at Redskins Park and hope they know more than others with the pick. :thumbup:

Imagine if you had been the GM for the last 10 years. We wouldn't have had all this 6-10, 4-12, 5-11 crap. Seriously. What you posted is a far better understanding of how good teams are built than our old front office used to have.

I was watching on TV. They moved down 2 spots, and I thought "oh man, Jacksonville will take a lineman they want." Then the Jags drafted a punter. :lmao:

Rich Campbell about Josh LeRibeus.

Former NFL scout Russ Lande, a contributor to Sporting News, praised the pick. “He is an athletic lineman with quick feet and outstanding recovery ability,” Lande wrote on Sporting News’ web site. “Washington’s zone blocking scheme requires linemen to be light on their feet in space, so LeRibeus is a perfect fit and capable of starting at any of the three interior line positions.

The Redskins acquired a seventh-round pick from Buffalo (No. 217 overall) in the trade.

LeRibeus described himself as quick. He started all 13 games last season and in 2009. He missed 2010 because he was academically ineligible. “I was an economics major, and I wasn’t a big fan,” LeRibeus explained. “They ended up switching me over to sociology, but I had only taken one class in sociology, so they shouldn’t have let me do it. From there, having three hours towards my major was kind of a no-no. They ended up pulling that year from me.”

His weight ballooned during his ineligible season, and he lost 70 pounds before his senior year. “I lost a toddler off the side of my belly,” he said with a laugh. He allowed his diet to deteriorate while he was ineligible. “I ended up moving away from home, so I got away from mom’s cooking,” he said. “A bit of a tight budget, so I kind of bought chicken or whatever at Tom Thumb.”

Redskins incumbent left guard Kory Lichtensteiger is coming back from an extremely serious right knee injury. He tore the ACL, MCL, medial meniscus and lateral meniscus. LeRibeus could push Lichtensteiger, or the selection could affect center Will Montgomery because Lichtensteiger also can play that position.

Redskins' picks tomorrow:

2 in the fourth round

1 in the fifth round

1 in the sixth round

2 in the seventh round

I'd love to see them get 1 or 2 starters out of the 4th round picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
April 27, 2012 11:03 p.m. - by John Keim New G/C Josh LeRibeus was academically ineligible in 2010, but started 13 games at LG in '09 and again in '11. He said he lost 70 pounds after missing 2010, adding "I lost a toddler off the side of my belly." LeRibeus is not an explosive lineman, but scouting reports say he does a good job mirroring defenders and screening in the run game. That makes him a solid fit in the zone blocking scheme.

Would love if the 'Skins would came away with the following two players with the 4th round picks:

Zebrie Sanders OT Florida St.

James-Michael Johnson ILB Nevada

Please!!!

Though a CB like Chase Minnifield or a Safety might be in play in either of those picks.

I'd love to see Zebrie Sanders at RT. But at this point I just assume they are picking quality players that they think fill a need. None of us knows a damn thing about these players compared to what the coaches and personnel guys know. They may be wrong a lot, but this is hardly a science.

I'd love to see Zebrie Sanders at RT. But at this point I just assume they are picking quality players that they think fill a need. None of us knows a damn thing about these players compared to what the coaches and personnel guys know. They may be wrong a lot, but this is hardly a science.
Guess I was wrong. Too many needs to be getting a backup QB. Ugghhh. I hate this pick of Cousins. If you wanted him in any shape or form, don't make the RG3 trade. Ughhhh.

Guess I was wrong. Too many needs to be getting a backup QB. Ugghhh. I hate this pick of Cousins. If you wanted him in any shape or form, don't make the RG3 trade. Ughhhh.
I couldn't agree more.NFL.com lists Keenan Robinson as an OLB but his overview says he played ILB at Texas. I don't know much about him, but I wonder if they see him as the heir to Fletcher?

Overview

Robinson was a three-year starter at inside linebacker for Texas and is an athletic mover who can run down faster players. He is a solid all-around prospect who may be better suited to play outside linebacker, where he can play more freely and get pursuit production from the inside out. He is a fourth- or fifth-round prospect who could contribute on special teams.

Analysis

Strengths

Robinson works well in space to position himself to make a play and is a quick mover off the snap. He is at his best when working toward the outside of offensive tackles and getting through to the backfield to run down ball carriers. He has the natural speed to play casually and run down players in space, and can pass set and cover tight ends with ease.

Weaknesses

Robinson can get lazy at times because his speed allows him to play effortlessly. He struggles when rushing the passer and looks stunned when an offensive lineman gets his hands on him. Once blocked, he usually stays that way. He needs to come forward and deliver the blow first himself.

Gettis sounds like a solid zone blocker, I know they tend to be a little smaller than prototypical linemen. Here's NFL.com's analysis:

OverviewGettis started full-time for only one year at Iowa after logging just three starts prior to his senior year. He is a severely undersized yet smart and competitive blocker who stood out this year for Iowa as the leader of the line. It will be much more difficult for him to overcome his size deficiencies at the next level; if he can't put on at least 10 to 15 pounds of weight, he could struggle against the league's top interior defensive linemen.AnalysisStrengthsGettis is quick off the ball and uses his initial explosion as a tactic to overcome size deficiencies. He consistently gets into his man first when pass blocking and is a good overall blocker because of it. He wins with leverage, which is often the only way to gain an advantage on bigger foes. Gettis is very polished in his footwork, and he understands pad and helmet placement's importance in gaining a blocking advantage. His quick feet allow him to be a very mobile and versatile blocker.WeaknessesGettis is very undersized, and this will force many teams to do a cross-examination of his play. Although he is a big-time player on film, some teams could have issues with drafting a lineman who is well under the average size in the NFL, where in 2011 the average was just more than 300 pounds. Aside from size, Gettis doesn't generate much of a push off the ball into his man and relies heavily on footwork to make effective blocks.

FSU Tackle or David Molk Center?
I've been trying not to guess on OL or think of any of them as a steal. With the zone blocking system a lot of these guys just don't fit. As an FSU alum I've been watching Zerbrie fall, but I have to assume he doesn't fit the system. Also, add me to list of people disappointed with the Cousins pick. I was actually hoping we'd use a 6th or 7th or Kellen Moore. I like having a prospect at QB3. I don't like using an early 4th on one though.

Adam Gettis from John Keim

Here’s a scouting report on him from the Sporting News. In Pro Football Weekly’s draft guide, their summary of him was this: “An undersized, competitive, athletic one-year starter who played his way into draft consideration as a senior. Showed well against top competition and should continue improving with increased strength development. Would be best in a zone scheme.”
Washington selected SMU guard/center Josh LeRibeus in the third round. Kory Lichtensteiger is coming off a torn ACL, but coach Mike Shanahan considers him their best run blocker. Backups Maurice Hurt and Erik Cook have not distinguished themselves.
Drafting Cousins and then Gettis makes it pretty clear this is the I Can't Stand Any More Lousy QB or OL Play draft.I would have rather seen them take someone at another position than Cousins, but I can see some advantage I guess. Their QB and backup QB for at least the next 4-5 years are now on the roster. There's something to be said for that. Beck is gone. I guess Rex is still around.

Keenan Robinson from John Keim

Robinson said defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said they will play him inside, where they lack depth, and have him help on special teams. Robinson played outside at Texas, but said he played in a 3-4 scheme at Texas for three years under former coordinator Will Muschamp. He played middle linebacker this past season, starting 13 games. He stared at weakside linebacker the previous two seasons.

“When I was training for the combine I trained as an inside and outside linebacker,” he said. “I made sure I was prepared for any position a team wanted me to play.” Switching from outside to inside, he’ll have to take on blockers differently – with both his hands and playing lower in his stance. So he focused on improving those areas in the offseason. “I’m already strong, I’m already big, I’m already fast,” Robinson said. “But there are little things I need to work on to make sure I’m successful at my position. I feel like I’m one of the top coverage linebackers out there. My coverage skills will show that I can cover tight ends, I can cover backs. I can do it all. I’ll be fine in that area.”

Robinson is indeed strong, having benched 405 pounds at the end of his junior year. He said he’s also good friends with current Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo.

Users who are viewing this thread