What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Chat With our Draftniks Matt Waldman and Sigmund Bloom Tonight D (1 Viewer)

I like Ronald Johnson with Niners. He's the type of guy that could be more consistent than Morgan, but start in the slot packages and work towards displacing a guy like Morgan down the line. Not flashy, but effective.

Not loving the Whalen pick for Bengals. He's just a guy in my opinion. Cameron Kenney is twice the player Whalen is, IMO.

Evan Royster to Redskins...if he can show more speed I like it, but I don't think he will and it leaves me thinking that Shanny is nowhere near the RB guy some think of him to be.
He looked noticeably slower last year, and he was never injured, I dont think he put on weight, so Im not sure even Royster could explain why..He was never a speed guy, but if he can get to what he looked like his So and Jr year, he'll probably stick. He does seem like a pretty similar runner to Helu and someone who would fit in a Skeletor system

Mort talking John Beck has opening day starter in Washington. Gotta say, I was a fan of Beck coming out of this class and rated him highly. Cecil rips him to no end and Beck definitely didn't help himself early on. However, this could be interesting if what Mort says about Beck's rough start and potential to overcome it. It's happened before with players with skill but weren't ready for prime time.

Evan Royster to Redskins...if he can show more speed I like it, but I don't think he will and it leaves me thinking that Shanny is nowhere near the RB guy some think of him to be. Hate the Charles Clay pick for the Dolphins unless planning to convert to TE and still don't like it nearly that much. Dwyane Harris to Cowboys! Whoa...this guy is going to be a special teams guy right away and then develop into a potential No.2 after some time in the slot. Really good pure football player who just needs to learn more about the receiver position beyond the slot and short passing game.
Shanahan and I probably agree on straight ahead guys a lot more than you do. That is not an endorsement of Royster who lacks NFL juice, but it similar to Helu in going straight ahead.I've been sitting here twiddling my thumbs wondering who would be smart enought to take Harris. Dallas. My team. Dez, Miles, Roy, Ogletree, Hurd... the ONLY position they didn't need to address. I'm going to appreciate the BPA stick to the board mentality. It's a new approach for Dallas and the two times they did it for offensive skill players they picked two of my favorite sleepers in the draft. I really like Demarco too Matt. Dallas put some vrooom in their offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Royster to Redskins...if he can show more speed I like it, but I don't think he will and it leaves me thinking that Shanny is nowhere near the RB guy some think of him to be.
He looked noticeably slower last year, and he was never injured, I dont think he put on weight, so Im not sure even Royster could explain why..He was never a speed guy, but if he can get to what he looked like his So and Jr year, he'll probably stick. He does seem like a pretty similar runner to Helu and someone who would fit in a Skeletor system
Actually KP, he did put on weight - about 15 pounds and Paterno told him to get rid of it and Royster didn't want to. So there is some story here as to why he possibly didn't build on a good start to his career. He's a smart player. In fact I like him more than Helu.

Jounal Sentinal thinks that Ted Thompson is making all these trades so he can stock up on late round picks since he won't be able to do a bunch of FA signings like he usually does

Allen Bradford a Buc. Nice depth for a power running team. He'll spell Blount more effectively than Caddy and Caddy can remain a situational pass guy if he stays in the gulf.

Bradford is the kind of back I really think would have been a nice pick for Washington. This is a nice makings of a rotation to keep the Falcons and Saints offenses off the field if he works out.

Is Devine going to go undrafted? Wow

I understand he's a role player in the NFL, but still. His special teams upside alone is worth a pick.

Actually KP, he did put on weight - about 15 pounds and Paterno told him to get rid of it and Royster didn't want to. So there is some story here as to why he possibly didn't build on a good start to his career. He's a smart player. In fact I like him more than Helu.
Well that makes more sense then. I think after his JR year, I heard he was a 3rd round prospect. If he drops that weight (if he didnt already), Id think he gets back to what he looked like a couple years ago.

Mel Kiper just referred to Scott Tolzien as an accurate QB. Anyone who is a Badger fan knows that Kiper is, at best, stretching the truth. Tolzien is known to spray balls wildly, often with little notice. When in a rhythm, he looks solid, but when "off" he sprays it around like Pee Wee Herman watching a Jenna Jameson film.

'Matt Waldman said:
I like Enderle here as a developmental guy in Chicago. Still think there were better options at QB to pick, but a pocket guy the Bears can work with.
I couldn't disagree more. Drafting a developmental QB, especially after you drafted Dan Lefevour last year, then screwed up and lost him, was a luxury they could not afford. There were a lot of positions where they needed help. They had a bottom five O-line last year. They have found one guy to help with that. They could of drafted a CB, LB, DT, OG, OT, RB, or WR, all bigger needs than a developmental QB. I was extremely disappointed in both the Conte and Enderle picks. After the Cramini, and Paea picks were made you had three more picks to address a variety of needs. Using one on a special teams player like Conte, and another on a developmental QB was not using your picks effectively, IMO.
We're talking about 5th round picks at this point right? At this stage there's no player you can just plug into a hole in your roster and not have to worry about. If the Bears have CB, LB, DT, OG, OT, RB, WR needs, no 5th round pick is going to fix any of them for this year, which seems to be what you are worrying about. You're being unrealistic imo.
You need players to develop in those positions. They may not help immediately, but you hope some of those players may develop quickly. The Bears actually have drafted some good players in the 5th round. The Bears drafted Johnny Knox in the 5th in 2009. In 2008 they drafted Kellen Davis and Zack Bowman in the 5th, both contributors last year. Bowman was starting for awhile, and Davis was playing in two TE sets. In 2007 they drafted Corey Graham in the 5th, who also contributed this past year as a nickel back. They have had success in those later rounds, so they had the chance to find a contributor in the 5th.

Is Devine going to go undrafted? WowI understand he's a role player in the NFL, but still. His special teams upside alone is worth a pick.
Problem with Devine is part perception and I think part reality. Reality is that he stinks at pass protection and he's so small that teams perceive that he won't get better at it and don't want to invest in a guy that high when he has a learning curve that could kill their QB. He also dances a little too much. Although it works well enough in the FBS it won't in the NFL. Very rarely do backs that stop start to change direction as a primary move succeed in the NFL. He's a tough kid, but I think there are still other backs on the board who meet all the needs a team has for a runner and have potential to develop and that's why Devine is still available. Love seeing McElroy on the phone, finally.

Mel Kiper just referred to Scott Tolzien as an accurate QB. Anyone who is a Badger fan knows that Kiper is, at best, stretching the truth. Tolzien is known to spray balls wildly, often with little notice. When in a rhythm, he looks solid, but when "off" he sprays it around like Pee Wee Herman watching a Jenna Jameson film.
He lead all Div 1 qb last year in completion percentage. Having watched virtually all the Badger games last year, you sir, are just wrong.(edit - and PWee isn't watching Jenna's films....)

Is Devine going to go undrafted? WowI understand he's a role player in the NFL, but still. His special teams upside alone is worth a pick.
Problem with Devine is part perception and I think part reality. Reality is that he stinks at pass protection and he's so small that teams perceive that he won't get better at it and don't want to invest in a guy that high when he has a learning curve that could kill their QB. He also dances a little too much. Although it works well enough in the FBS it won't in the NFL. Very rarely do backs that stop start to change direction as a primary move succeed in the NFL. He's a tough kid, but I think there are still other backs on the board who meet all the needs a team has for a runner and have potential to develop and that's why Devine is still available. Love seeing McElroy on the phone, finally.
I don't even think I'd put him in pass blocking situations...kid could be deadly on special teams.

Links

In case you haven't seen them, this will link you to my Q&A's with DeMarco Murray, Colin Kaepernick, and Bilal Powell as well as abbreviated profiles to the RSP.

I don't even think I'd put him in pass blocking situations...kid could be deadly on special teams.
I agree, but this is why teams probably don't take him because they see him as a one dimensional player for them and they might not like that as an investment during the draft. I'd still take him over a kicker or punter :)

I agree, but this is why teams probably don't take him because they see him as a one dimensional player for them and they might not like that as an investment during the draft. I'd still take him over a kicker or punter :)
I hear that about the kicker pick - and I'm confused about it too - but from what I read / hear the kicker (Alex Henery) can do place kicks and punting, so he may save a roster spot if they only go with him or he could be just the punter this year with Akers for one year under the transition tag. Considering that kickers score 100+ points, there's something to be said about knowing that your kicker is a robo-kicker, which this kid is billed to be with unbelievable success rates and a big leg.

I hear that about the kicker pick - and I'm confused about it too - but from what I read / hear the kicker (Alex Henery) can do place kicks and punting, so he may save a roster spot if they only go with him or he could be just the punter this year with Akers for one year under the transition tag. Considering that kickers score 100+ points, there's something to be said about knowing that your kicker is a robo-kicker, which this kid is billed to be with unbelievable success rates and a big leg.
Always exceptions to the rule, so hopefully for Iggles Henery is that...it's a good point for sure.

So we're about to enter Round 7 - who you got that's left that should go?

Locke, RB, KY

Lockette, WR

Virgil Green, TE

McElroy, QB

50+ picks to go still

He lead all Div 1 qb last year in completion percentage. Having watched virtually all the Badger games last year, you sir, are just wrong.(edit - and PWee isn't watching Jenna's films....)
We'll have to agree to disagree. Completion % can be misleading. Tolzien struggles mightily at times, like when his receivers aren't wide open.

Steelers and Chiefs just sniped guys I would have seen in Cowboy camp. Powe is about all you can hope for at noseplugger this late and Williams is a tough tough run blocker.

Well, I turned on tv coverage for the first time since this started two days ago. No thanks. I didn't last five minutes with either network. I'm going to be such a crotchety old man.

Already Tweeted Cecil and told him we need to have a bet on Green vs. Thomas with me taking Green...Dilfer right now on point: Whenever a play was needed in the passing game, Green was that target and he executed.

So you guys know if you don't remember - I was high on Brian Hoyer and I think McElroy could develop in that vein. Hoyer has more of an NFL body, but McElroy has more acumen reading defenses at this stage than Hoyer.

Already Tweeted Cecil and told him we need to have a bet on Green vs. Thomas with me taking Green...Dilfer right now on point: Whenever a play was needed in the passing game, Green was that target and he executed.
:lmao: Just texted him asking if he's giddy with the TE haul....I'm with you on Green.Something to be said to getting Tebow two big targets over the middle.

:lmao: Just texted him asking if he's giddy with the TE haul....I'm with you on Green.Something to be said to getting Tebow two big targets over the middle.
Green is raw. I know this, but I still think that as a raw player he did more with his lack of development that impressed me more than other tight ends in this class. He reminded me of Shannon Sharpe. Interesting John Elway's regime took him ;)

'Bracie Smathers said:
'Abrantes said:
'Bracie Smathers said:
And then there were three.

Only three players left on Rick Gosselin's top-100 list:

one -

80, Pernell McPhee DE Mississippi State

two -

87, Johnny Patrick CB Louisville

three -

98, Jerrell Powe NY Mississippi

Also one of the two guys I threw out has been taken (Denarius Moore, wide receiver, Tennessee) so the only bonus player I've got is:

Chris Carter, defensive end, Fresno State
Saints took Patrick in round 3.
Thanks, I figure I missed a few.Down to two.

80, Pernell McPhee DE Mississippi State

98, Jerrell Powe NY Mississippi
what's an NY?

If I'm STL, I'm not talking with ESPN again.
Why? I'm suffering throught the Flyers game
ESPN mentioned that the Rams called him and said that they wanted him.Flyers losing? Wake me up in Game 5.
6-3 BruinsWhat's more frustrating, Eagles drafting for Flyers goaltending?I'm an Eagle draft critic and it's not close, Flyers goaltending
I will agree with you and end the hijack as we await two more Eagles picks.I'm hoping for a QB prospect and maybe Darren Evans or a DE or CB.

Users who are viewing this thread