What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (2 Viewers)

True that we didnt deserve it but I was hoping the Eagles would pull a GB from last year as the #6 seed. I think they are playing as well as anyone right now and had a shot for a run if they made it in.

Don't understand why anyone would root against them when they still had a chance for the playoffs. :shrug:

True that we didnt deserve it but I was hoping the Eagles would pull a GB from last year as the #6 seed. I think they are playing as well as anyone right now and had a shot for a run if they made it in.Don't understand why anyone would root against them when they still had a chance for the playoffs. :shrug:
As much as I would love to see a coaching change, I was still rooting for them to get to the playoffs and win a SB. Reid's going to be back next year anyway. I'm all for them winning.However it is now 3 straight years without a playoff win. That's unacceptable for a team with this much talent and a coach that's supposed to be one of the best.

Well this could be the worst of all worlds. The Eagles finished strong so Reid and Juan may be back next year. They are worsening their draft position with each win. And they miss the playoffs. Yet, I cannot and will not root against them.

On the other hand, they could continue this win streak into next year all the way to the SB.. :-)

Well this could be the worst of all worlds. The Eagles finished strong so Reid and Juan may be back next year. They are worsening their draft position with each win. And they miss the playoffs. Yet, I cannot and will not root against them.

On the other hand, they could continue this win streak into next year all the way to the SB.. :-)
This is what we have to hope for because I think both Andy and Juan return. But they have to go deep into the playoffs in '12 for either to be back in '13. At least imo. They have to win some post-season games next year.

Andy was always coming back unless we went 4-12. Juan looks to be a lock now too since the defense improved so much over the last half. We'll hear all the usual excuses about lockout year, needing time to gel, new coaching staff etc. It is what it is at this point. We've got at least one more year with this coaching staff. Hard to get excited about that but its reality.

Based on salary cap management, I can see the following for next year:

-Vick and Asomugha are back

-Samuel is most likely gone. He costs $9.5 million for next year and he only counts $2 million against the cap if we cut him.

I think this would have been a certainty if Rodgers-Cromartie had a better year, but I still think it will happen.

-I think Babin is back. His cap figure is not that large. I don't know about whether Jenkins will be back. It doesn't cost the

Eagles anything if they cut him.

-I think the Eagles will let Desean walk. I don't think Reid is going to risk his future on a guy who pouts and

doesn't put in full effort.

-I think the Eagles will try to extend McCoy in the off-season. He has one year left on his deal, and if Jackson goes, the Eagles

don't want to lose another game breaker.

-I don't think the Eagles re-sign Vince Young, unless it was very cap friendly. Kafka probably moves up to back-up.

The Eagles biggest needs in the off-season will be to find some run stuffing LB's who can fill the holes created by the "Wide 9" and

if Jackson is gone, find a deep threat to stretch the field.

If we come out of this year with Steve Spags as the new DC, I can live with it. :thumbup:
Hasn't it been reported that it's all but certain Spags will be the new DC.
It makes a ton of sense, but it's hardly "all but certain." That terminology comes from Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee, who claimed that Jon Gruden is going to St. Louis along with A.J. Smith and if that happens, Spags would return to Philly. We can all agree there's a logical fit, but it's hardly a certainty.1) Reid will have to publicly go back on his support of Castillo2) Spags needs to get fired3) Spags needs to view the DC in Philly as a better job than others (I'm sure he'll have plenty of other opportunities)If we bring Spags back (I'm all for it), what becomes of Jim Washburn? I bet he'll retire/leave. What do with do with Castillo? Will he accept a DC role? Take on an ethereal Assistant Head Coach role without a specific assignment? Will he become a defensive assistant? Will Spags want to coach for a guy who's probably on a short leash entering 2012? Maybe that will entice him to come (presuming he would be one of the favorites to replace Andy).Lots of balls in the air.It wouldn't surprise me, but there's no way this is a done deal, or anything close to it.

It will be a dizzying week atop the Chargers power structure, and the possibilities only keep getting more intriguing.

The first order of business for team president Dean Spanos is whether to retain General Manager A.J. Smith.

Spanos is expected to reveal his decision on whether to keep Smith by the middle of next week. It is believed, based on numerous conversations with league sources over the past month, that head coach Norv Turner will be fired regardless of who is the general manager.

Further, should Smith be fired in San Diego, he is expected to have opportunity elsewhere.

People familiar with Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s plans said Monday that Kroenke is waiting for Spanos to make a move on Smith. If Smith is available, league and agent sources strongly indicated that Smith will be hired as Rams’ general manager and bring along Jon Gruden as head coach.

Sources said Gruden has decided to return to coaching in 2012 and that his current employer, ESPN, is already preparing for his departure.

Spokesmen for ESPN and the Rams declined comment on Monday night.

Smith also declined comment when asked both about his future employment or his association with Gruden.

Sources who spoke Monday did so on the condition they not be identified. Those sources in a position to know Smith’s possible plans would not or could not say what he would do for a head coach if still in San Diego.

League sources have said for weeks that Kroenke plans to clean house after the season, firing both head coach Steve Spagnuolo and General Manager Billy Devaney. League sources also said this week that it is all but certain that Spagnuolo will join Andy Reid’s staff in Philadelphia as the Eagles’ defensive coordinator. Devaney, who was the Chargers Director of Player Personnel from 1990-2000, will not be a candidate in San Diego.

It is well-known in league circles that the relationship between Smith and Gruden is a solid one. The friendship began in the late 1990s when Gruden was head coach of the Oakland Raiders and was introduced to Smith by Smith’s closest friend, Bruce Allen, then the Raiders’ senior executive.

League and agent sources said recently that Smith has expressed his ongoing faith in Turner. However, Smith has also repeatedly said that five years is a “good test” for finding out the direction a head coach can take a team.

Turner is 48-31 in five seasons as head coach, but after back-to-back seasons have resulted in the Chargers missing the playoffs, it is possible Smith could decide he has to move in another direction. Moreover, he could be led in that direction by Spanos.

Even more certain than Turner’s fate is that of defensive coordinator Greg Manusky. Sources have long indicated the team views his hiring as a “mistake,” and the lack of answers in Detroit on Saturday sealed Manusky’s fate.

Turner, for his part, is aware of the likelihood of his being let go. Yet he vowed Monday to go about business as usual even as the Chargers’ season finale at Oakland has no real ramifications.

about that article above it stated the eagles used the wide 9 with juan and washburn when it was washburn who put the wide 9 in before juan was even hired. I see no reason to bring Juan back as a DC. Can't put him back as OL coach again either because imho he was never great there to begin with. Reid dug himself in a deep hole. Also I think any DC that does come here is going to want alot of control over the players and system he wants to run...i don't see Reid or even the lawyers ( Banner & Roseman ) approviing of this. This is why I think they went through what? 5 canidates last season before they settled on Juan

Can we get crazy for a second?

St Louis fires Spags

Eagles Fire Reid and Castillo

St Louis hires Reid

Eagles hire Gruden and Spags

... I did say crazy

Based on salary cap management, I can see the following for next year:-Vick and Asomugha are back-Samuel is most likely gone. He costs $9.5 million for next year and he only counts $2 million against the cap if we cut him. I think this would have been a certainty if Rodgers-Cromartie had a better year, but I still think it will happen.-I think Babin is back. His cap figure is not that large. I don't know about whether Jenkins will be back. It doesn't cost the Eagles anything if they cut him.-I think the Eagles will let Desean walk. I don't think Reid is going to risk his future on a guy who pouts and doesn't put in full effort.-I think the Eagles will try to extend McCoy in the off-season. He has one year left on his deal, and if Jackson goes, the Eagles don't want to lose another game breaker.-I don't think the Eagles re-sign Vince Young, unless it was very cap friendly. Kafka probably moves up to back-up.The Eagles biggest needs in the off-season will be to find some run stuffing LB's who can fill the holes created by the "Wide 9" and if Jackson is gone, find a deep threat to stretch the field.
Sounds good to me.

St Louis fires Spags

Eagles Fire trade Reid to STL for their #2 pick and fire Castillo

... I did say crazy
let's go crazy

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on salary cap management, I can see the following for next year:-Vick and Asomugha are back-Samuel is most likely gone. He costs $9.5 million for next year and he only counts $2 million against the cap if we cut him. I think this would have been a certainty if Rodgers-Cromartie had a better year, but I still think it will happen.-I think Babin is back. His cap figure is not that large. I don't know about whether Jenkins will be back. It doesn't cost the Eagles anything if they cut him.-I think the Eagles will let Desean walk. I don't think Reid is going to risk his future on a guy who pouts and doesn't put in full effort.-I think the Eagles will try to extend McCoy in the off-season. He has one year left on his deal, and if Jackson goes, the Eagles don't want to lose another game breaker.-I don't think the Eagles re-sign Vince Young, unless it was very cap friendly. Kafka probably moves up to back-up.The Eagles biggest needs in the off-season will be to find some run stuffing LB's who can fill the holes created by the "Wide 9" and if Jackson is gone, find a deep threat to stretch the field.
Any interest in London Fletcher. He's 36 but he is still playing well. Could be a nice leader as the MLB. Plus, he's a tackling machine which is really what we need if we want to see the wide-9 at its best.

'delusional said:
about that article above it stated the eagles used the wide 9 with juan and washburn when it was washburn who put the wide 9 in before juan was even hired. I see no reason to bring Juan back as a DC. Can't put him back as OL coach again either because imho he was never great there to begin with. Reid dug himself in a deep hole. Also I think any DC that does come here is going to want alot of control over the players and system he wants to run...i don't see Reid or even the lawyers ( Banner & Roseman ) approviing of this. This is why I think they went through what? 5 canidates last season before they settled on Juan
Why not bring in Spags and make Juan the LB coach? That's what they should have done last year. Let Juan move to D like ha wanted and lean from a real DC not OTJT
'JetMaxx said:
'JAA said:

St Louis fires Spags

... I did say crazy
let's go crazy
:thumbup:

'delusional said:
Why not bring in Spags and make Juan the LB coach? That's what they should have done last year. Let Juan move to D like ha wanted and lean from a real DC not OTJT
Sounds good but I think there are more layers to it than that. IF Spags comes back (still a big 'if', NYG could be solid competition for him) he'll want total control of the DEF. No 'wide 9'. What do you do with Washburn at that point? Then how do you reconcile being 'all-in' with the W9 this year with needing to scrap it next year? That would require an admission that '11 was a waste and a big mistake. After 13 years at the helm, would Andy admit an entire season was a throw-away? Would Babin still be a good fit next year with a standard 4-3?I think Andy's going to fight hard for his guy Juan (after all, he put JC in an impossible situation). Question is will the FO over-rule him on this?

'JetMaxx said:
'JAA said:

St Louis fires Spags

... I did say crazy
let's go crazy
Cant tell if youre serious but cant trade a coach for draft picks.My only concern with Spags is that he is not a totally known commodity as everyone is making him out to be. The LBs did suck when he was the LB coach. He went to a Giants team with a loaded Dline which he rode to a successful 2007 season and a superbowl victory. The following year the Giants were 17th in points allowed. He then went on to STL where he has been HC of a horrendous defense for the past few years.

Castillo does have the defense playing well, who cares how? Shouldn't we give him another year before Spags comes in and brings in his similar but different defensive philosophy? The wide9 is likely gone and that probably negates our best (probowl) pass rusher. It might hide some of the deficiencies in our LB core but we might be better off just getting a good MLB and keeping the wide 9.

I'm not against getting Spags but just wanted to point out that it's not a sure thing that he will be successful.

I don't have time to read the whole thread so forgive me if this was already brought up but wouldn't it have been better for the Eagles to finish 5-11 so they could clean house? Now we will be stuck with yet another year of Andy Reid, who has proven he can't win the big one and refuses to make the adjustments needed to win with this current team (signing at least one NFL caliber would be a good start).

Beating the Redskins this weekend is meaningless to me and will actually just screw up their draft position.

I don't have time to read the whole thread so forgive me if this was already brought up but wouldn't it have been better for the Eagles to finish 5-11 so they could clean house? Now we will be stuck with yet another year of Andy Reid, who has proven he can't win the big one and refuses to make the adjustments needed to win with this current team (signing at least one NFL caliber would be a good start).

Beating the Redskins this weekend is meaningless to me and will actually just screw up their draft position.
I want them to win, but losing this last game wouldn't be the worst thing to happen this season.

for arguments sake:

Okay, Eagles fans. Let’s get this right:Juan Castillo is terrible and has no idea what he’s doing.The Wide-9 is a dumb system.All the DL care about is sacks. None of them can play the run.The Eagles have the worst LBs in the league.The Eagles have awful Safeties.Howie Roseman is awful at acquiring players.So how in the hell is it that the defense is ranked 8th in yards allowed and 12th in points allowed? HOW??? I know it kills some of you, but you can’t have everything be wrong.Detroit has a strong DL. They had Ndamukong Suh in the middle. They have Levy and Tulloch at LB. They have Jim Schwartz as HC and Gunther Cunningham as DC. Their farts know more about defense than Juan Castillo. So how is it that Detroit is below us in yards, points, and rushing yards? How???Chicago has Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, and Peanut Tillman. Lovie Smith is the HC and Rod Marinelli is the DC. Their farts know more about defense than Castillo. So how is it that the Bears are below us in points and yards allowed? They do have a better run D, but allow almost 50 more passing yards a game.I could go on, but you should get the point by now.Listen, no one is trying to make the defense into some great unit that should be worshiped. This defense has had some horrible moments this year. But…BUT…you cannot ignore the success it has had as well.The front office can’t solve every issue in a given offseason. That’s not reality. Andy Reid and Howie Roseman focused on the DL and the secondary. The results have been good. Jim Washburn’s DL is doing a great job of rushing the passer. They actually play better run defense than most think.The secondary struggled early on as very talented players adjusted to new roles. They have done that now and Samuel, DRC, and Nnamdi have played their best football in the last month.The Safeties are better than people think. I know Kurt Coleman has missed a couple of key tackles. I know Nate Allen stunk up the joint in the Patriots game. I also know that Kurt has had some good games and made some key plays. Nate was lights out a few times (Bills game, recent Dallas game). The jury is still out on Jaiquawn Jarrett, but he did look good when he got on the field. Sunday will be a good test for him.Juan, Andy, and Howie knew that LB was going to be the weak spot on defense this year. They felt comfortable with Jamar Chaney moving outside to take advantage of his speed. They threw Casey into the fire as MLB. It was sink or swim. Obviously both those moves blew up in their face. Jamar struggled at OLB and Casey was overwhelmed as a starter. The Eagles deserve criticism for the moves not working.The LBs were a major issue for a long time. Castillo finally got them to play reasonably well in the last few weeks by changing roles to be as specific as possible. This has taken pressure off some guys and gotten everyone involved. The LB corps still needs a lot of work, but they are playing better than any other time this year.Castillo is doing a better job of coaching than at any other time this year. He and the players are feeding off each other. The numbers are good and the team does pass the eye test. They look like a good defense.I’m not asking everyone to hop on board and kiss Juan’s butt or send the players to the Pro Bowl. I do think the blanket criticisms need to stop. The Eagles aren’t 7-8 because of Juan Castillo. Or the LBs. Or the defense as a whole. The Eagles are 7-8 because the entire team was addicted to mistakes earlier in the year.How many shootouts have we won? ZERO. That’s not on the defense. That’s on Vick, Shady, DJax, and the crew. GB and NE have won several shootouts this year.STs blunders were costly in the SF and CHI losses.The blown 4th quarter leads weren’t huge leads. The only big lead was in the SF game. The defense fell apart in that game, but the offense had plenty of chances and couldn’t make a key play or hold onto the ball.In the other games the defense did blow leads, but small ones. Losing a game where you were up on the Giants 16-14 in the early 4th Q isn’t exactly what I would categorize as a blown lead. Technically, yes, but reality tells you that being up 2 points in today’s NFL is nothing. The offense failed to score in the 4th Qtr of several of the games where the Eagles did have the lead.Turnovers have been a huge problem all year long. That’s on the offense, mainly the skill players.The Eagles got to 7-8 as a team. The whole team needed to get better. And it did. The defense is playing great football right now. The offense is still hit and miss, but is getting the job done in the Red Zone and has eliminated some turnovers.You can fault the Eagles for not doing what you thought was right, but based on the overall numbers you can also argue the Eagles did the right thing by concentrating on DL/DBs. If there is part of the defense to put on the back burner, it is the LBs.Feel free to be critical of the Eagles in some way, shape, or form, but you can’t blame everyone. Is it Castillo for not being smart enough? The players for not playing well? Roseman for not getting the enough talent? When you are 8th in yards allowed and 12th in points allowed that means that more is going right than wrong.If Castillo is the problem, then you better start heaping praise on the players. Overcoming bad coaching isn’t easy.If it is the players, then you better praise Castillo for being able to deal with such mediocrity despite making the change from offense to defense.If it is Roseman, then you better praise Castillo for coaching his butt off and the good players who are carrying the underachievers.You just don’t have a lousy GM, lousy DC, and lousy players and get to 8th/12th. That’s not reality.

I don't see why we would let Samuel leave unless you could get a ransom on a trade. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense because he was the best CB on the field most of the year. We are better off using Nnamdi in a hybrid role where he covers TE's like Witten, Finley, Graham, V. Davis, F. Davis, etc... An offseason where he gets acclimated to a different type of role then he's used to will help this defense and allow the Eagles to get ROI. Part of that is keeping all 3 CB's so there aren't weaknesses on the outside while Nnamdi kicks inside. I loved the base defense with 3 CB's and 1 safety against Dallas. Thought that would work well if you can have 3 guys with the ability to shut down the pass the other 8 can focus on the run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread