What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Great Works Draft (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the comments, Oliver. Two points:

1. "Landslide" is not on Rumours. It's on Fleetwood Mac.

2. If you like blues at all as a genre, you really should give a listen to Live At Fillmore East.

Oliver, you mentioned a few old bluesmen. I would have considered Robert Johnson, but any "album" would have been ineligible, I believe. They're all compilations.

Mississippi John Hurt (whom I love) is a different story, as he, Son House, and Skip James recorded sessions which were released as albums in the 1960's. But with the possible exception of Skip James, none of these by themselves are IMO quite good enough to be on an alltime album list. Of course, the compilation material for everyone of these artists is magnificent.

Thanks for the comments, Oliver. Two points:

1. "Landslide" is not on Rumours. It's on Fleetwood Mac.

2. If you like blues at all as a genre, you really should give a listen to Live At Fillmore East.
1. D'oh!2. Will do. I can't promise anything, though. There is a good chance that, if I haven't gotten into them by now, I likely never will. Still.

In retrospect, I'm really regretting I did not draft Bringing It All Back Home, as I originally intended. It's not only IMO the best Bob Dylan album, it may be simply the greatest musical album of all time. Just look at this incredible, incredible lineup of songs (review from Wikipedia):

The album opens with "Subterranean Homesick Blues," a romp through the difficulties and absurdities of anti-establishment politics that was heavily inspired by Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business." Often cited as a precursor to rap and music videos (the cue-card scene in Dont Look Back), "Subterranean Homesick Blues" became a Top 40 hit for Dylan.

"Snagged by a sour, pinched guitar riff, the song has an acerbic tinge...and Dylan sings the title rejoinders in mock self-pity," writes NPR's Tim Riley. "It's less an indictment of the system than a coil of imagery that spells out how the system hangs itself with the rope it's so proud of."

"She Belongs to Me" extols the bohemian virtues of an artistic lover whose creativity must be constantly fed ("Bow down to her on Sunday / Salute her when her birthday comes. / For Halloween buy her a trumpet / And for Christmas, give her a drum.")

"Maggie's Farm" is Dylan's declaration of independence from the protest folk movement. Punning on Silas McGee's Farm, where he had performed "Only a Pawn in Their Game" at a civil rights protest in 1963 (featured in the film Don't Look Back), Maggie's Farm recasts Dylan as the pawn and the folk music scene as the oppressor. Rejecting the expectations of that scene as he turns towards loud rock'n'roll, self-exploration, and surrealism, Dylan intones: "They say sing while you slave / I just get bored."

"Love Minus Zero/No Limit" is a low-key love song, described by Riley as a "hallucinatory allegiance, a poetic turn that exposes the paradoxes of love ('She knows there's no success like failure / And that failure's no success at all')...[it] points toward the dual vulnerabilities that steer 'Just Like A Woman.' In both cases, a woman's susceptibility is linked to the singer's defenseless infatuation."

"Outlaw Blues" explores Dylan's desire to leave behind the pieties of political folk and explore a bohemian, "outlaw" lifestyle. Straining at his identity as a protest singer, Dylan knows he "might look like Robert Ford" (who assassinated Jesse James), but he feels "just like a Jesse James."

"On the Road Again" catalogs the absurd affectations and degenerate living conditions of bohemia. The song concludes, "Then you ask why I don't live here / Honey, how come you don't move?".

"Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" narrates a surreal experience involving the discovery of America, the cast of Moby **** and numerous bizarre encounters. It is the longest song in the electric section of the album, starting out as an acoustic ballad before being interrupted by laughter, and then starting back up again with an electric blues rhythm. The music is so similar in places to Another Side of Bob Dylan's "Motorpsycho Nitemare" as to be indistinguishable from it but for the electric instrumentation.

Written sometime in February 1964, "Mr. Tambourine Man" was originally recorded for Another Side of Bob Dylan; a rough performance with several mistakes, the recording was rejected, but a polished version has often been attributed to Dylan's early use of LSD, although eyewitness accounts of both the song's composition and of Dylan's first use of LSD suggest that "Mr. Tambourine Man" was actually written weeks before. Instead, Dylan said the song was inspired by a large tambourine owned by Bruce Langhorne. "On one session, Tom Wilson had asked [bruce] to play tambourine," Dylan recalled in 1985. "And he had this gigantic tambourine...It was as big as a wagonwheel. He was playing, and this vision of him playing this tambourine just stuck in my mind." Langhorne confirmed that he "used to play this giant Turkish tambourine. It was about [four inches] deep, and it was very light and it had a sheepskin head and it had jingle bells around the edge - just one layer of bells all the way around...I bought it 'cause I liked the sound...I used to play it all the time."

A surrealist work heavily influenced by Rimbaud (most notably for the "magic swirlin' ship" evoked in the lyrics), Heylin hailed it as a leap "beyond the boundaries of folk song once and for all, with one of [Dylan's] most inventive and original melodies." Riley describes "Mr. Tambourine Man" as "Dylan's pied-piper anthem of creative living and open-mindedness...a lot of these lines are evocative without holding up to logic, even though they ring worldly." Salon.com critic Bill Wyman calls it "rock's most feeling paean to psychedelia, all the more compelling in that it's done acoustically."

Almost simultaneously with Dylan's release, the newly-formed Byrds recorded and released an electrified, abbreviated treatment of the song which would be the band's breakthrough hit, and would be a powerful force in launching the Folk Rock genre.

"Gates Of Eden" builds on the developments made with "Chimes of Freedom" and "Mr. Tambourine Man."

"Of all the songs about sixties self-consciousness and generation-bound identity, none forecasts the lost innocence of an entire generation better than 'Gates of Eden,'" writes Riley. "Sung with ever-forward motion, as though the words were carving their own quixotic phrasings, these images seem to tumble out of Dylan with a will all their own; he often chops off phrases to get to the next line."

One of Dylan's most celebrated and ambitious compositions, "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" is arguably one of Dylan's finest songs. Clinton Heylin wrote that it "opened up a whole new genre of finger-pointing song, not just for Dylan but for the entire panoply of pop," and one critic said it is to capitalism what Darkness at Noon is to communism. A fair number of Dylan's most famous lyrics can be found in this song: "He not busy being born is busy dying"; "It's easy to see without looking too far / That not much is really sacred"; "Even the president of the United States / Sometimes must have to stand naked"; "Money doesn't talk, it swears"; "If my thought-dreams could be seen / They'd probably put my head in a guillotine." In the song Dylan is again giving his audience a road map to decode his confounding shift away from politics. Amidst a number of laments about the expectations of his audience ("I got nothing, Ma, to live up to") and the futility of politics ("There is no sense in trying"; "You feel to moan but unlike before / You discover / That you'd just be / One more person crying"; "It's easy to see without looking too far / That not much / Is really sacred", Dylan tells his audience how to take his new direction:

"So don't fear if you hear / A foreign sound to your ear / It's alright, Ma, I'm only sighing."

The album closes with "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue", described by Riley as "one of those saddened good-bye songs a lover sings when the separation happens long after the relationship is really over, when lovers know each other too well to bother hiding the truth from each other any longer...What shines through "Baby Blue" is a sadness that blots out past fondness, and a frustration at articulating that sadness at the expense of the leftover affection it springs from." Heylin has a different interpretation, comparing it with "To Ramona" from Another Side of Bob Dylan: "['Baby Blue' is] less conciliatory, the tone crueler, more demanding. If Paul Clayton is indeed the Baby Blue he had in mind, as has been suggested, Dylan was digging away at the very foundation of Clayton's self-esteem." However, the lyric easily fits in with the main theme of the album, Dylan's rejection of political folk, taking the form of a good-bye to his former, protest-folk self, according to the Rough Guide to Bob Dylan. According to this reading, Dylan sings to himself to "Leave your stepping stones [his political repertoire] behind, something calls for you. Forget the dead you've left [folkies], they will not follow you...Strike another match, go start anew."

"

Oliver, you mentioned a few old bluesmen. I would have considered Robert Johnson, but any "album" would have been ineligible, I believe. They're all compilations.

Mississippi John Hurt (whom I love) is a different story, as he, Son House, and Skip James recorded sessions which were released as albums in the 1960's. But with the possible exception of Skip James, none of these by themselves are IMO quite good enough to be on an alltime album list. Of course, the compilation material for everyone of these artists is magnificent.
Sorry. I didn't realize that compilations, no matter how artfully compiled, were off-limits. No wonder nobody took The Anthology of American Folk Music. It is the essential American album.

Things I've learned from Oliver H:

a) Punk guys think The Police suck

b) Ray Charles can't sing robustly

c) Truth was just a surprisingly good record. Heck, Rod Stewart was on it, and it didn't sound like "The Motown Song"!

Other artists that I would've loved to've seen on this list: Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Neil Young, Sly and The Family Stone, Slint, The Carter Family, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Skip Wallace, Odetta, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, ZZ Top, Bill Withers, Billie Holliday, Big Bill Broonzy, Clarence Ashley, Gram Parsons, Dolly Parton, Sammi Smith, and Leadbelly. But whatever. At least we get two Metallica records to puzzle over. And the Eagles.
Hey Ollie, since you like some of the old-time country guys like Hank Sr, Willie, Patsy and Loretta, how do you feel about Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys and his latter day successor, Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel?And since you mention Gram Parsons, how do you feel about Lowell George and Little Feat or Pure Prairie League

Whoa, Tim. You really love this record. How come you didn't pick it? You clearly feel that it is an essential record by an essential artist. Wha' gives?

Things I've learned from Oliver H:

b) Ray Charles can't sing robustly
Ray Charles can sing better than almost anybody. I just think that the arrangements on that record weaken the songs.
c) Truth was just a surprisingly good record. Heck, Rod Stewart was on it, and it didn't sound like "The Motown Song"!
You have no idea what a big step that was for me to admit.

Whoa, Tim. You really love this record. How come you didn't pick it? You clearly feel that it is an essential record by an essential artist. Wha' gives?
I don't know. I also love Exile, Rubber Soul, and Live At The Apollo! All three are also clearly essential records by an essential artist. I also love Every Picture Tells A Story, in which Ron Wood and Rod Stewart reach their highest level of artistic achievement. But I should have gone with the Dylan...

Did anyone let the judges who were not participants know that this thing is over? From what I am hearing the answer is NO (seriously, wtf?), but I thought I would ask anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Other artists that I would've loved to've seen on this list: Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Neil Young, Sly and The Family Stone, Slint, The Carter Family, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Skip Wallace, Odetta, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, ZZ Top, Bill Withers, Billie Holliday, Big Bill Broonzy, Clarence Ashley, Gram Parsons, Dolly Parton, Sammi Smith, and Leadbelly. But whatever. At least we get two Metallica records to puzzle over. And the Eagles.
Hey Ollie, since you like some of the old-time country guys like Hank Sr, Willie, Patsy and Loretta, how do you feel about Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys and his latter day successor, Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel?And since you mention Gram Parsons, how do you feel about Lowell George and Little Feat or Pure Prairie League
I love Bob Willis. I don't think I've ever heard Ray Benson or Asleep at the Wheel.I don't feel anything at all about Little Feat, and I've never heard of the Pure Prarie League.

Did anyone let the judges who were not participants know that this thing is over? From what I am hearing the answer is NO (seriously, wtf?), but I thought I would ask anyway. :)
Actually, I did. Moops and Steve Tasker both replied that they were still on board to rank Sculptures and Inventions, respectively. Moops even posted in the thread that he was still on board.

I love Bob Willis. I don't think I've ever heard Ray Benson or Asleep at the Wheel.I don't feel anything at all about Little Feat, and I've never heard of the Pure Prarie League.
[EDIT] Sorry. Didn't realize that Pure Prarie Leage were the dudes who sang "Amie".Listening to that song as I type this.I still have no opinion at all.

Actually, I did. Moops and Steve Tasker both replied that they were still on board to rank Sculptures and Inventions, respectively. Moops even posted in the thread that he was still on board.
Tasker got a PM a while back that said this was almost over. He never got the final go ahead.

Seriously ... on what planet do The Police suck? :( That's gotta be a personal-taste call, not an objective reality. Sometimes the masses get it right.

Other artists that I would've loved to've seen on this list: Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, Neil Young, Sly and The Family Stone, Slint, The Carter Family, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Skip Wallace, Odetta, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, ZZ Top, Bill Withers, Billie Holliday, Big Bill Broonzy, Clarence Ashley, Gram Parsons, Dolly Parton, Sammi Smith, and Leadbelly.

But whatever. At least we get two Metallica records to puzzle over. And the Eagles.
If you love Bob Wills, you'd probably like The Wheel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asleep_at_the_wheel

[EDIT] Sorry. Didn't realize that Pure Prarie Leage were the dudes who sang "Amie".Listening to that song as I type this.I still have no opinion at all.
Years later (1981, IIRC), also sang "Let Me Love You Tonight" with Vince Gill on lead vocals. I'd bet my house that you'd passionately hate that song. Way too commercial.

Okay. I think the song "Amie" is pretty awful, even with the 15-part harmonies. I do, however, like the song "Early Morning Riser", though I don't know why. It has a neat little guitar solo at the end that fades out, then fades back in before finally fading out for good. Kind of neat. They are better than the Eagles by virtue of not being the Eagles. It is no "Return of The Grievous Angel", though.

Doug B said:
Seriously ... on what planet do The Police suck? :( That's gotta be a personal-taste call, not an objective reality. Sometimes the masses get it right.
I didn't say the Police suck. I said that, to me, they are unremarkable in every way. They've got a ways to go before they get to suck. I merely reported a story where Steve Albini and Tim Midgett said that they suck, and, yes, they were stating their own personal taste. And if by "sometimes" you mean "almost never" then I agree with you.

jamyp said:
rodg12 said:
jamyp said:
Tasker got a PM a while back that said this was almost over. He never got the final go ahead.
I haven't seen anything from whomever it was that was supposed to judge Scientific Discoveries. I've been playing around with them and have them about 2/3rds judged myself. I'd gladly step in and finish if it speeds things along.

jamyp said:
rodg12 said:
jamyp said:
I haven't seen anything from whomever it was that was supposed to judge Scientific Discoveries. I've been playing around with them and have them about 2/3rds judged myself. I'd gladly step in and finish if it speeds things along.
Since I don't know the qualifications of the current SD judge, and I do know that Genedoc is, well, a gene doc, I'd rather he be the judge anyway.

jamyp said:
rodg12 said:
jamyp said:
That's fine with me, but we'd have to find another judge for your picks, as I am unqualified.

jamyp said:
rodg12 said:
jamyp said:
Since I don't know the qualifications of the current SD judge, and I do know that Genedoc is, well, a gene doc, I'd rather he be the judge anyway.
I second that emotion.

timschochet said:
:goodposting: Same is true for a lot of early artists (Louis Jordan, T-Bone Walker, etc.)Also, pretty sure the same is true for the previously mentioned Muddy album . . .

Oliver Humanzee said:
The Allman Brothers Live From Fillmore East I haven't heard this album, and I won't, unless I have to.
Pretty sure you won't regret listening to this one.A few others I think belonged in this draft...

Buddy Holly's The Chirping Crickets

Love - Forever Changes

Bob Dylan and the Band - The Basement Tapes (previously mentioned)

Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on Gravel Road

Thunderclap Newman - Hollywood Dream ... I nearly drafted this out of strong personal bias

Frank Zappa .... Not sure which album, maybe Hot Rats

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold as Love ... sooo much better than Are You Experienced

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left

Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece ... or Moondance... or St. Dominic's Review

The Who - Who's Next (was this not drafted?)

Terry Allen - Lubbock on Everything ... had to get something obscure thrown in

Doug B said:
Not according to Kukla, Fran, and Ollie Know-All - Know-NothingInteresting how he has to relate everything to his pedestrian attempts as a musician, and to the garbage known as "Jesus Lizard"It is obvious his failed musical attempts have soured him on many outstanding offerings because they also bear the burden of popularity.Have you just realized this whole Category has been about "Personal Taste", sprinkled with "The Humantic"s stories of what greasy, screaming, smelly, under-appreciated punk genius he drank rotgut vodka with?

Here's how I'm planning to do the Scientific Discoveries. I'm going to post my initial tier designations now. I encourage input. I know a good deal about biology, genetics, evolution, and a little about chemistry and medicine. However, the physics, earth sciences, and in particular mathematics and engineering, I just had to do my best.

As for criteria, I used the Science Channel's top 100 discoveries in history as a go by. Notice I said go by - not authoritative source. However, I generally agreed with their opinions of things I know a good deal about, so I'm hoping their rankings of fields I'm less familiar with are also good. Impact on multiple fields of study, impact within it's field, and practical applications were key considerations, usually in that order. Also, I think a couple are missing.

Finally, I welcome dialog. However, if you suggest something is tiered too low, pick something ahead of it that you'd drop. They can't all be 20's. Without any further adieu, here's my tiering, with some comments to follow.

Tier 1

Microorganisms

Discovery of Oxygen

KT Asteroid Extinction

Mendelian Genetics

Human Anatomy

Euclidian Geometry

The Scientific Method

Heliocentrism

Dalton Atomic Theory

Tier 2

First Dinosour Fossil Finds

Human Circulatory System

Gravity

Kepler Planetary Motion

Blood Groups

Newtonian Laws of Motion

2nd Law Thermodynamics

Plate Techtonics

1rst Law Thermodynamics

Calculus

Tier 3

Faraday Electromagnetic Induction

Maxwell Electromagnetism

Vaccination

Germ Theory of Disease

Theory of Relativity

Darwinian Evolution

Doppler Effect

Ohm's Law

Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal

Wave Particle Duality

Tier 4

Periodic Table

Central Dogma Molecular Biology

Structure of DNA

Plutonium

Hubble Discovery of Greater Universe

Antibiotics

Subatomic Particles

Big Bang Theory

Pi

Tier 5

Optics

Game Theory

Time-based Calculation of Longitude

Discovery of Oil

The Neutron

Radio Carbon Dating

Human Genome Project

HIV Virus

Tier 6

Organ Transplantation

Pythagorean Theory

Pasteurization

Superconductivity

String Theory

Stanford Prison Experiment

Binary Numeral System

Wine

Dwarf Planet Eris
A couple of things stood out to me. I was expecting Darwinian Evolution and Vaccination to be tiered higher. However, the more I looked at their rankings, the more I agreed with them. What great discoveries in medicine would you drop in order to raise vaccination? Anatomy? Physiology? Blood Group discovery? Hard to argue with the impact of any of those discoveries. Anyway, should be an interesting discussion.

Here's how I'm planning to do the Scientific Discoveries. I'm going to post my initial tier designations now. I encourage input. I know a good deal about biology, genetics, evolution, and a little about chemistry and medicine. However, the physics, earth sciences, and in particular mathematics and engineering, I just had to do my best.

As for criteria, I used the Science Channel's top 100 discoveries in history as a go by. Notice I said go by - not authoritative source. However, I generally agreed with their opinions of things I know a good deal about, so I'm hoping their rankings of fields I'm less familiar with are also good. Impact on multiple fields of study, impact within it's field, and practical applications were key considerations, usually in that order. Also, I think a couple are missing.

Finally, I welcome dialog. However, if you suggest something is tiered too low, pick something ahead of it that you'd drop. They can't all be 20's. Without any further adieu, here's my tiering, with some comments to follow.

Tier 1

Microorganisms

Discovery of Oxygen

KT Asteroid Extinction

Mendelian Genetics

Human Anatomy

Euclidian Geometry

The Scientific Method

Heliocentrism

Dalton Atomic Theory

Tier 2

Human Circulatory System

Gravity

Kepler Planetary Motion

Blood Groups

Newtonian Laws of Motion

2nd Law Thermodynamics

Plate Techtonics

1rst Law Thermodynamics

Calculus

Tier 3

Maxwell Electromagnetism

Vaccination

Germ Theory of Disease

Theory of Relativity

Darwinian Evolution

Doppler Effect

Ohm's Law

Wave Particle Duality

Tier 4

Periodic Table

Structure of DNA

Plutonium

Antibiotics

Subatomic Particles

Big Bang Theory

Pi

Tier 5

Optics

Game Theory

Discovery of Oil

The Neutron

Radio Carbon Dating

Human Genome Project

HIV Virus

Tier 6

Organ Transplantation

Pythagorean Theory

Pasteurization

Superconductivity

String Theory

Binary Numeral System

Wine

Dwarf Planet Eris
A couple of things stood out to me. I was expecting Darwinian Evolution and Vaccination to be tiered higher. However, the more I looked at their rankings, the more I agreed with them. What great discoveries in medicine would you drop in order to raise vaccination? Anatomy? Physiology? Blood Group discovery? Hard to argue with the impact of any of those discoveries. Anyway, should be an interesting discussion.
Another Hose JobGreat - the discovery of oxygen or the circulatory system is high, but are they really greater than organ transpantation......................................

Or are they just older???

And having the discovery of the most influential, important beverage in world history is just wrong. Wine had to be discovered first, but then had to be learned as an art form. It has influenced and helped shape this world for thousands of years.

I fear this disrespect may create a pox on your wine business

This Category should be re-named "Discoveries in Olden Physics, Anatomy, and Chemistry"

Tier 1

Microorganisms

Discovery of Oxygen

KT Asteroid Extinction

Mendelian Genetics

Human Anatomy

Euclidian Geometry

The Scientific Method

Heliocentrism

Dalton Atomic Theory

Tier 2

Human Circulatory System

Gravity

Kepler Planetary Motion

Blood Groups

Newtonian Laws of Motion

2nd Law Thermodynamics

Plate Techtonics

1rst Law Thermodynamics

Calculus

Tier 3

Maxwell Electromagnetism

Vaccination

Germ Theory of Disease

Theory of Relativity

Darwinian Evolution

Doppler Effect

Ohm's Law

Wave Particle Duality

Tier 4

Periodic Table

Structure of DNA

Plutonium

Antibiotics

Subatomic Particles

Big Bang Theory

Pi

Tier 5

Optics

Game Theory

Discovery of Oil

The Neutron

Radio Carbon Dating

Human Genome Project

HIV Virus

Tier 6

Organ Transplantation

Pythagorean Theory

Pasteurization

Superconductivity

String Theory

Binary Numeral System

Wine

Dwarf Planet Eris
Another Hose JobGreat - the discovery of oxygen or the circulatory system is high, but are they really greater than organ transpantation......................................

Or are they just older???
Age has precious little to do with the rankings. The discovery of how the circulatory system works has direct implications on every field of medicine. Without a working knowledge of the circulatory system and blood groups, there is no organ transplantation. Organ transplantation save lives in the developed world almost exclusively, and even then it usually adds little more than a few years to a life. And the discovery of oxygen has major, critical implications in several field of study.

And having the discovery of the most influential, important beverage in world history is just wrong. Wine had to be discovered first, but then had to be learned as an art form. It has influenced and helped shape this world for thousands of years.

I fear this disrespect may create a pox on your wine business

This Category should be re-named "Discoveries in Olden Physics, Anatomy, and Chemistry"
I obviously love wine more than most, but seriously, if wine had never been discovered, our lives as we know wouldn't be fundamentally different.

From a pragmatic standpoint, few things have impacted our daily lives as much as Pasteurization; should be low Tier 1 or upper Tier 2, not 81st-100th.

Then again, you have Theory of Relativity and Darwinian Evolution in Tier 3, so maybe you live in an alternate universe.

As for guidelines, I'm partial to The Scientific 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Scientists, Past and Present (Citadel Press - 2000) by John Galbraith Simmons. The list is here.

In retrospect, its such a wide open category its nearly impossible to judge. Perhaps more subcategories would have made it easier (separate medical advancements from theory from astromony et al).

From a pragmatic standpoint, few things have impacted our daily lives as much as Pasteurization; should be low Tier 1 or upper Tier 2, not 81st-100th.
There were only 55-56 things tiered - I left my own out. Pasteurization is a narrow application of germ theory. Germ theory was revolutionary; pasteurization as a discovery was simply a narrow proof of the larger principle.
Then again, you have Theory of Relativity and Darwinian Evolution in Tier 3, so maybe you live in an alternate universe.
There were hugely important discoveries that predated and laid the foundation for both of those. :shrug:
As for guidelines, I'm partial to The Scientific 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Scientists, Past and Present (Citadel Press - 2000) by John Galbraith Simmons. The list is here.

In retrospect, its such a wide open category its nearly impossible to judge. Perhaps more subcategories would have made it easier (separate medical advancements from theory from astromony et al).
Yeah, I've seen that list. It's a list of influential scientists, not individual discoveries, which makes it not terribly helpful.

Why is Pythagorean theorem a Tier 6 but Pi is a Tier 4?

Why is First Dinosour Fossil Finds a tier 2?

Why is The Scientific Method a tier 1?

Doug B said:
Not according to Kukla, Fran, and Ollie Know-All - Know-NothingInteresting how he has to relate everything to his pedestrian attempts as a musician, and to the garbage known as "Jesus Lizard"

It is obvious his failed musical attempts have soured him on many outstanding offerings because they also bear the burden of popularity.

Have you just realized this whole Category has been about "Personal Taste", sprinkled with "The Humantic"s stories of what greasy, screaming, smelly, under-appreciated punk genius he drank rotgut vodka with?
My attempts at musicianship may have been pedestrian, but at least I was willing to participate in rock n' roll, rather than to passively sit there, consume, then glibly judge what I have consumed.And if I relate my judgement to my role as particpant it is only because, well, I wouldn't know how to do it otherwise. You learn a few things about music when you spend a decade or so of your life attempting to create it, execute it, and disseminate the creations of others. Way it goes, I guess. I just fail to see how a life spent rocking would somehow make me less qualified to have an opinion.

And, no, Gizmo, my musical career wasn't a failure, as I achieved exactly what I wanted to achieve--I made some good music (despite myself), I made some incredible friends, I saw the country and the world. I drank gallons of free booze, heard hundreds of dirty jokes, and saw some of the most incredible performances in rock's recent history. I am not sour or bitter at all. I am quite content in both my taste and my, ahem, "career".

What you want out of this draft is to have the judges confirm to you that your opinions--and, by extention yourself--are good and true and correct. In short, you want us to stand in for your parents and tell you that you are a Good Boy. When this doesn't happen you pout and whine and throw little fits and ad hominems around like a two-year-old throwing a temper tantrum.

If it makes you feel better, little Gizmo, and shuts you up for a little while, I'll do it.

You are Good Boy, Tides of War. A very, very good boy.

Why is Pythagorean theorem a Tier 6 but Pi is a Tier 4?Why is First Dinosour Fossil Finds a tier 2?Why is The Scientific Method a tier 1?
I've no problem admitting I had Pi and Pythagorean Theorem both all over the place and will readily listen to input from mathematicians on where they'd slot them, which is why this is the preliminary tiering. I ended up putting them where I did because it seemed to me after some reading that Pi has broader applications that the Pythagorean Theorem, and the Pythagorean Theorem seemed a much narrower slice of mathematics. But like I said, I'd have no problem with someone who has a mathematics background correcting me. ALL OF SCIENCE is a pretty overwhelming category to judge. :lmao:The first dinosaur fossil find revolutionized a number of fields (evolutionary biology, geology, zoology, history, etc) and created one of it's own (paleontology). There are not many discoveries in history that can make such a claim. As for the Scientific Method, it's applications as a framework for how science is performed, what science is, and what it is not are as broad reaching as any concept I can think of. Whether a physicist or a biologist or a chemist, the basic framework of how we ask questions of the universe around us is united by the framework of the scientific method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Pythagorean theorem a Tier 6 but Pi is a Tier 4?Why is First Dinosour Fossil Finds a tier 2?Why is The Scientific Method a tier 1?
I've no problem admitting I had Pi and Pythagorean Theorem both all over the place and will readily listen to input from mathematicians on where they'd slot them, which is why this is the preliminary tiering. I ended up putting them where I did because it seemed to me after some reading that Pi has broader applications that the Pythagorean Theorem, and the Pythagorean Theorem seemed a much narrower slice of mathematics. But like I said, I'd have no problem with someone who has a mathematics background correcting me. ALL OF SCIENCE is a pretty overwhelming category to judge. :lmao:The first dinosaur fossil find revolutionized a number of fields (evolutionary biology, geology, zoology, history, etc) and created one of it's own (paleontology). There are not many discoveries in history that can make such a claim. As for the Scientific Method, it's applications as a framework for how science is performed, what science is, and what it is not are as broad reaching as any concept I can think of. Whether a physicist or a biologist or a chemist, the basic framework of how we ask questions of the universe around us is united by the framework of the scientific method.
As a whole your tiers look significantly different than mine would, but then again you are in first and I'm not. Thanks for answering, its not easy being a judge.

TidesofWar said:
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.

Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me
Tides, this is an internet draft. Are you ####### kidding me?

As a whole your tiers look significantly different than mine would, but then again you are in first and I'm not. Thanks for answering, its not easy being a judge.
I'm more than open to suggestions/comments, which is why this is fun and why I did it the way I did. There are plenty of things I'd be more than willing to move tiers if someone who knows could explain to me why they belong somewhere else. Where ________ fits into the entire world history of scientific discovery is a huge question. I put a premium on 1) things that created new fields of study and impacted several other fields, 2) things that defined or overturned existing paradigms or dogma, and 3) things that go a long way towards explaining our place in the universe. Pasteurization was a great example. It probably would have fared better as an invention, because as a discovery, it's meh. It's a very narrow subset of something else that was a big discovery (germ theory). Germ theory impacted many different fields of study and created new ones. Pasteurization, much less so.

I'm more than open to suggestions/comments, which is why this is fun and why I did it the way I did. There are plenty of things I'd be more than willing to move tiers if someone who knows could explain to me why they belong somewhere else. Where ________ fits into the entire world history of scientific discovery is a huge question. I put a premium on 1) things that created new fields of study and impacted several other fields, 2) things that defined or overturned existing paradigms or dogma, and 3) things that go a long way towards explaining our place in the universe. Pasteurization was a great example. It probably would have fared better as an invention, because as a discovery, it's meh. It's a very narrow subset of something else that was a big discovery (germ theory). Germ theory impacted many different fields of study and created new ones. Pasteurization, much less so.
Forget all that. How about I just pay you cash to move me up?

TidesofWar said:
Doug B said:
Not according to Kukla, Fran, and Ollie Know-All - Know-NothingInteresting how he has to relate everything to his pedestrian attempts as a musician, and to the garbage known as "Jesus Lizard"

It is obvious his failed musical attempts have soured him on many outstanding offerings because they also bear the burden of popularity.

Have you just realized this whole Category has been about "Personal Taste", sprinkled with "The Humantic"s stories of what greasy, screaming, smelly, under-appreciated punk genius he drank rotgut vodka with?
My attempts at musicianship may have been pedestrian, but at least I was willing to participate in rock n' roll, rather than to passively sit there, consume, then glibly judge what I have consumed.And if I relate my judgement to my role as particpant it is only because, well, I wouldn't know how to do it otherwise. You learn a few things about music when you spend a decade or so of your life attempting to create it, execute it, and disseminate the creations of others. Way it goes, I guess. I just fail to see how a life spent rocking would somehow make me less qualified to have an opinion.

And, no, Gizmo, my musical career wasn't a failure, as I achieved exactly what I wanted to achieve--I made some good music (despite myself), I made some incredible friends, I saw the country and the world. I drank gallons of free booze, heard hundreds of dirty jokes, and saw some of the most incredible performances in rock's recent history. I am not sour or bitter at all. I am quite content in both my taste and my, ahem, "career".

What you want out of this draft is to have the judges confirm to you that your opinions--and, by extention yourself--are good and true and correct. In short, you want us to stand in for your parents and tell you that you are a Good Boy. When this doesn't happen you pout and whine and throw little fits and ad hominems around like a two-year-old throwing a temper tantrum.

If it makes you feel better, little Gizmo, and shuts you up for a little while, I'll do it.

You are Good Boy, Tides of War. A very, very good boy.
I would wager all I own that you would never dare to be so condescinding and foolish in my presence.Where do you live,because if it is Chiacgo, I am playing in a Charity Golf event there next month, and I would love for you discuss these rankings in person, and call me a "Good Boy"

PM me and I will give you a phone number to reach me
Wow. OH is so up in your kitchen right now

Users who are viewing this thread