What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Year-end Song Draft - Playlist in post #1 (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Playlist - https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6SW8AqiehzLsTf5O4uun36?si=1d6ec6e78c6a435a

Presenting the biannual draft of great songs from 2021 by artists that nobody has heard of. It's usually not much of a thread but the playlist makes up for it.

Minimal draft rules.  Only songs released in 2021 (either as a single or as part of a 2021 album) are eligible. No themes, no judging, no dice, no draft order, two picks per day (AM and PM) from the get go.  I don't think we even had a spreadsheet last time, just a playlist. 

Link to Mid Year Draft Thread and accompanying playlist.  Songs drafted at mid-year aren't formally blacklisted but I'm trying not to pick the same songs again :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
In...I'll have to review my playlists, but whether it was me or the music, I feel like 2021 didn't really grab me as much as years past  

Eephus said:
@ing people from previous current year song drafts and the 2021 music thread.

@Bogart

Will be paying close attention, but I didn't listen to enough new music this year to form any valid opinion and/or lists.

All mine are going to generally come from my first half of the year when I was attuned, so I don't know, really. 

I have until Tuesday to decide, I guess. 

Presenting the biannual draft of great songs from 2021 by artists that nobody has heard of. It's usually not much of a thread but the playlist makes up for it.

Minimal draft rules.  Only songs released in 2021 (either as a single or as part of a 2021 album) are eligible. No themes, no judging, no dice, no draft order, two picks per day (AM and PM) from the get go.  I don't think we even had a spreadsheet last time, just a playlist. 

Link to Mid Year Draft Thread and accompanying playlist.  Songs drafted at mid-year aren't formally blacklisted but I'm trying not to pick the same songs again :bag:

You say "artists that nobody has heard of" but on the mid year list I saw Crowded House (remix by Tame Impala) and Bruno Mars.  :confused:

So, do you mean we can also include obscure songs or songs that were not hits by well known artists like Crowded House and Bruno Mars?

You say "artists that nobody has heard of" but on the mid year list I saw Crowded House (remix by Tame Impala) and Bruno Mars.  :confused:

So, do you mean we can also include obscure songs or songs that were not hits by well known artists like Crowded House and Bruno Mars?
he's just making a semi-joke about the fact that the most of the songs tend to be from lesser-known artists and/or from all different genres and locales.

I'm in

Songs drafted at mid-year aren't formally blacklisted but I'm trying not to pick the same songs again :bag:

I cannot promise I won't select songs that were already chosen in the mid-year draft (I may even poach some from others if it's become one of MY favorites of 2021). 

I feel like I digested less music during the 2nd half of this year.  Either that, or I was just less impressed with the music I heard in the 2nd half.  I'm certain if there was some good stuff out there, this crew will reveal it to me.

J

Can we get a link to that mid-year draft... I'm pretty sure I participated and don't want to only include things from that.

Yes as long as they're new releases and not reissues/remasters/etc.

One of Prince's songs from the vault was chosen in the mid-year draft

OK, I will give it shot, I think I got enough 2021 music to go about a week or so at two picks a day. 

And it will be nice to see what the kids here in their college dorms are listening to.  :hophead:

I'm questioning my own ability to add to this thread outside of what has already been provided in the mid-year draft.  Just went back through my most recent "Likes" in my music app and realized they were mostly songs drafted by other contributors during the mid-year effort.

I'm going to start things off with a no-brainer song.  One which was both extremely popular and which I also enjoyed (and was selected in the mid-year draft).

SCS 1AM

Good 4 U - Olivia Rodrigo

I'm starting off this draft looking for songs I believe we'll still hear being played 20 years from now.  This is one of them.  When people look back on the songs they remember from 2021, "Good 4 U" will be one of those.  Not necessarily the best song of the year, but one of the songs that the year will most be remembered by.

I don't think this will be the only song from Olivia we see on this playlist.  She put out an outstanding album.

Who's got next?

J

I'm treating this as songs not in the first draft...trying to pick second half '21 tunes, but like steelcity, my second half playlist isn't matching the first in breadth or quality.

Ok. I'll admit while I still like the band, I felt like their recent stuff didn't elevate for me the way their older stuff consistently did...until this single dropped. I mentioned it being a banger in the 21 draft when it dropped, still think so.

1- the Hardest Cut- Spoon

Good 4 U - Olivia Rodrigo

I'm starting off this draft looking for songs I believe we'll still hear being played 20 years from now.  This is one of them.  When people look back on the songs they remember from 2021, "Good 4 U" will be one of those.  Not necessarily the best song of the year, but one of the songs that the year will most be remembered by.

I don't think this will be the only song from Olivia we see on this playlist.  She put out an outstanding album.
I won't draft another song from this album because there are so many songs I like I won't double dip. Not sure if that's consensus or not, if it is, I'll come back and add what song I would have picked from this album.

I'll open with this power pop guitar oriented alt rock piece from Kingston Kane, best known for smoking a bowl of weed out of a Big Mac while dressed as Ronald McDonald.

But he's also a very talented musician and has a much richer and deeper singing voice than one might expect

1. Squistion - Kingston Kane - Unbroken (2021)

https://youtu.be/_41FfTWONeA

Like a few others apparently,  I listened to far less new music over the latter half of 2021. My list is a bit thin but I love this song. 

1a. Queens - Aeon Station

3/5ths of the Wrens finally released a new record. The Meadowlands is one of my favorite albums.

It’s not quite the same without Bissell but it’s a pretty good album and sounds a lot like the Wrens to me. 

you brohans sure listen to a lot of new music i guess i dont follow along with new releases that much but this is a cool thread keep it up take that to the bank bromigos

I'll open with this power pop guitar oriented alt rock piece from Kingston Kane, best known for smoking a bowl of weed out of a Big Mac while dressed as Ronald McDonald.

But he's also a very talented musician and has a much richer and deeper singing voice than one might expect

not bad.  so is that the same dude singing, playing guitar and playing bass?

2. Nudge It - Sleaford Mods, Amy Taylor

I didn't need Spotify's year-end wrap to tell me that I listed to this song a lot in 2021.  Starts great and then Amy Taylor kicks in to take it to another level.

I can drop a lyric with no need to drop a name
I do it for the pleasure, the money and the fame
You saying that you love it, I'm saying that you're lying
I've been putting in the work but you're barely even trying

2. Nudge It - Sleaford Mods, Amy Taylor

I didn't need Spotify's year-end wrap to tell me that I listed to this song a lot in 2021.  Starts great and then Amy Taylor kicks in to take it to another level.

I can drop a lyric with no need to drop a name
I do it for the pleasure, the money and the fame
You saying that you love it, I'm saying that you're lying
I've been putting in the work but you're barely even trying
I mentioned it in the previous draft, but I liked her collaboration with another group as well.

This is partly me wanting to take 72 year old Springsteen in the first round of a 2022 draft about 2021 music releases. It's a re-make of a 2008 song, but they did change shorten the title, change a few things and added Bruce on vocals, so I'm sure it's good to go here. Bruce surely could have written it. In some ways he did a few times.

1. The Killers - Dustland (ft. The Boss)
I love that this exists, so happy for Flowers, so cool... but after listening to it a few dozen times, the original Killers song is a lot better imo.

hours ago, squistion said:

plus distractingly crossed eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread