What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So Far, Antifa Has Attacked More Journalists Than Trump Ever Did (1 Viewer)

so a bunch of uneducated street thugs attacked journalists more than the President of the USA....your point being?
That the claims from the Democratic Party and themselves that they're "just an idea" and that they're anywhere near "anti-fascist" are both false.

That the claims from the Democratic Party and themselves that they're "just an idea" and that they're anywhere near "anti-fascist" are both false.

I don't know why comparing that to how much the president attacked the press is valuable in any sort of argument.  Seems like you are just trying to be over the top on this

I don't know why comparing that to how much the president attacked the press is valuable in any sort of argument.  Seems like you are just trying to be over the top on this
Or, other people were over the top about Trump curtailing press freedom. That could also be the point. 

Hmm...

Or, other people were over the top about Trump curtailing press freedom. That could also be the point. 

Hmm...

I don't know, maybe, but you have a real click bait headline going...

so if your intent was to be as over the top as those you disdain so much then you have been successful  

Generally speaking I find you to be a pretty thoughtful and intelligent poster.  This one just seems out of ordinary for you

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t really have a lot to add to this discussion other than to say I’m not sure comparing the numbers of the leader of a movement to an entire movement makes much sense - although that doesn’t change or invalidate your overall point.  Was just the first thing to come to mind.

Yes...everyone wearing black is automatically antifa. I'm sure no one is infiltrating.

Care to elaborate on the rest of what happened in Portland on Sunday or are you just cherry-picking this?

Yes...everyone wearing black is automatically antifa. I'm sure no one is infiltrating.

Care to elaborate on the rest of what happened in Portland on Sunday or are you just cherry-picking this?

At this point we are a country whose one of its fundamental values is violence.  Everyone is going to all these things expecting and hoping for violence.  It's unfortunate but it's who we are now

Yes, urbanhack you defend Portland all you want. Your mayor and city have effectively let two groups maraud around with no authority present. I now have two different sets of friends that live in Portland -- one that lives downtown, the other on the outskirts -- and they complain about the lack of policing. It's ridiculous. And you're going to claim infiltrators? Yeah, right, man.

You're so in the tank for this. I didn't even mention that it was in Portland.

BEATZ NOT BOMBZ DUDEZ.

Unfortunately I have watched more of these recent Portland videos then I care to admit.  I’m officially far more disgusted with these antifa/proud boy groups than I ever was with Trump. I cannot overstate the magnitude that statement. My contempt for Trump know no bounds honestly, but ultimately he’s just one sick man.  Antifa and proud boys represent 1000’s of people (active and those that agree philosophically).  Thats far more dangerous at this point.  

Unfortunately I have watched more of these recent Portland videos then I care to admit.  I’m officially far more disgusted with these antifa/proud boy groups than I ever was with Trump. I cannot overstate magnitude that statement. My contempt for Trump know no bounds honestly, but ultimately he’s just one sick man.  Antifa/proud and proud boys represent 1000’s of people (active and those that agree philosophically).  Thats far more dangerous at this point.  

Mostly i think they are a bunch of thugs looking for a fight.  They know the violence is coming, they want it and expect it.

That being said groups like the proud boys are founded based on some pretty terrible principles so I hold them in more contempt than others.  

Because all the little lefties on this board told us the real threat to press freedoms resided in Trump and that Antifa was just an ideology, not a group. 

That you spring to their defense so quickly makes you so useful to them. 

THAT'S THE POINT

Um, no...actually we didn't say the real threat to press freedoms resided in Trump and it is still true that ANTIFA ,as an actual organization, does not exist.

Unfortunately I have watched more of these recent Portland videos then I care to admit.  I’m officially far more disgusted with these antifa/proud boy groups than I ever was with Trump. I cannot overstate the magnitude that statement. My contempt for Trump know no bounds honestly, but ultimately he’s just one sick man.  Antifa and proud boys represent 1000’s of people (active and those that agree philosophically).  Thats far more dangerous at this point.  

I agree and it is sad that a once nice city like Portland has allowed this to continue.  There is no leadership and these groups are ruining the downton area.

Um, no...actually we didn't say the real threat to press freedoms resided in Trump and it is still true that ANTIFA ,as an actual organization, does not exist.

They can`t. 

As as actual organization the  leaders and many members would be in prison so they have to run it with very loose ties. They are more like small pods of terrorists cells.

I agree and it is sad that a once nice city like Portland has allowed this to continue.  There is no leadership and these groups are ruining the downton area.
Yep.  I can’t get my head around what that city’s leadership is doing.  I lived there for a year in the early 2000’s, great city.  It’s an embarrassment for the city and for any of us watching where this country is heading.  

Yes, urbanhack you defend Portland all you want. Your mayor and city have effectively let two groups maraud around with no authority present. I now have two different sets of friends that live in Portland -- one that lives downtown, the other on the outskirts -- and they complain about the lack of policing. It's ridiculous. And you're going to claim infiltrators? Yeah, right, man.

You're so in the tank for this. I didn't even mention that it was in Portland.

BEATZ NOT BOMBZ DUDEZ.

Completely agree about the mayor. He's the worst. 

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/08/22/far-right-activists-counterprotesters-gather-in-portland/?

Sure...these groups are awful and are the threat.  Not sure anyone claimed Trump was a physical threat to the press.  His rhetoric though...(as well as any on the left that give credence to antifa) fuels such things.  Trump got hit for it because he held the highest office in the land and fueled that type of division from such right wing groups.  He refused to flat out denounce them and not have some sort of but with it.  That is why he got slammed often about such things...along with his own verbal attacks at the press (and part of what put such a doubt on even legitimate journalism these days.

Didn't click the link, but if you're talking about farming out police functions to the Proud Boys, you've got a massive problem. I mean, it's more massive than you might think. What there needs to be is civil law and order, not reliance on vigilantes, law and order executed by the appropriate authorities with civil oversight. Your city broke down in that respect and didn't back its silent majority of civilians. Or, even worse, the silent majority of civilians agreed to the breakdown in law and order. 

Portland is between a rock and a hard place.  The far right and racist organizations have targeted it.  None of these people are from there. They are there to start violence and agitate the populace.  

Well one thing is blatantly obvious. Peaceful BLM protests have been met with tear gas and rubber bullets. Yet the Proud Boys can come in from out of town fully announcing their intention to do harm and the cops are nowhere to be found.

Portland is between a rock and a hard place.  The far right and racist organizations have targeted it.  None of these people are from there. They are there to start violence and agitate the populace.  
Portland, and anybody who follows this knows it, has a massive left-wing problem where they essentially removed all authority and then agitated against it daily to the support of a large portion of the populace. Seeing that the city couldn't run with Antifa and other anarchist groups leading the way, it seems to have allowed right-wing groups to propagate and fulfill the function that civilian law and order was supposed to provide. 

It's like I told my girlfriend way, way back in the late nineties. The breakdown in order in fascist areas always comes from the left and then the vacuum of power happens. The right then steps in to provide the majority of civilians who desire some form of order with an alternative to nightly rioting. 

This might be what we're seeing in Portland. 

Well one thing is blatantly obvious. Peaceful BLM protests have been met with tear gas and rubber bullets. Yet the Proud Boys can come in from out of town fully announcing their intention to do harm and the cops are nowhere to be found.
I highly doubt that. This is not what friends report, nor does the New Yorker. The BLM protests are full of violent Antifa or anti-fascist members. The original  problem is not with your right-wing here. It is violence against the public and public buildings from the left. The right is there to provide order, which is just as bad as the original movements away from it. Portland, as has long been described here, is a ####fest in certain areas. 

Portland, and anybody who follows this knows it, has a massive left-wing problem where they essentially removed all authority and then agitated against it daily to the support of a large portion of the populace. Seeing that the city couldn't run with Antifa and other anarchist groups leading the way, it seems to have allowed right-wing groups to propagate and fulfill the function that civilian law and order was supposed to provide. 

It's like I told my girlfriend way, way back in the late nineties. The breakdown in order in fascist areas always comes from the left and then the vacuum of power happens. The right then steps in to provide the majority of civilians who desire some form of order with an alternative to nightly rioting. 

This might be what we're seeing in Portland. 

yea that's just all wrong imho

This topic seems to really agitate you because you are usually quite thoughtful 

yea that's just all wrong imho

This topic seems to really agitate you because you are usually quite thoughtful 
I don't think that's all wrong in the least. My left-wing friends report to me from there and tell me that. 

I'm not agitated in the least. I'm deeply concerned that in the Pacific NW there seems to be a vacuum of authority and a civil war fomenting. Call me crazy, but I don't like either side and don't want it to spread like wildfire. I don't choose either side in the fight. They're both awful. 

I highly doubt that. This is not what friends report, nor does the New Yorker. The BLM protests are full of violent Antifa or anti-fascist members. The original  problem is not with your right-wing here. It is violence against the public and public buildings from the left. The right is there to provide order, which is just as bad as the original movements away from it. Portland, as has long been described here, is ####fest in certain areas. 

I'm not saying all the protests have been peaceful...obviously not the case. But I've been to several over the past year or so and there's been multiple times where unprovoked force was used by the police in a peaceful situation.

I'm not saying all the protests have been peaceful...obviously not the case. But I've been to several over the past year or so and there's been multiple times where unprovoked force was used by the police in a peaceful situation.
Fair enough. May I consider you a Portland friend reporting? I could use a counterweight. I believe you, too. 

Sure thing. Sounds like you have enough friends here to make a visit. First coffee or beer or tequila is on me.
Heh. I had a dream just a month or two ago that I was in Portland visiting. It was an interesting dream -- to me -- about my friend and his children, who are getting older and surprisingly so. Gladly take you up on that if I ever make it. 

On a more serious note, I didn't want this to totally be about Portland, more that the tactics used by Antifa and others on the left towards the press bear watching, too. While Trump had external restraints on his fascist dream, these people don't, and it needs to be noted. 

I'm sure if Trump and Bannon could, their serious delusions would have wound up with heads on pikes. I don't doubt it. Vigilance on all sides is what I ask, even at its possibly justifiable roots of self-defense. 

I highly doubt that. This is not what friends report, nor does the New Yorker. The BLM protests are full of violent Antifa or anti-fascist members. The original  problem is not with your right-wing here. It is violence against the public and public buildings from the left. The right is there to provide order, which is just as bad as the original movements away from it. Portland, as has long been described here, is a ####fest in certain areas. 

An unproven claim outside of a few isolated quotes of observations from lower level participants in BLM marches. Some Antifa anti-fascists showing up at a BLM protest doesn't mean any kind of official BLM/Antifa association, as you falsely keep insisting. 

An unproven claim outside of a few isolated quotes of observations from lower level participants in BLM marches. Some Antifa anti-fascists showing up at a BLM protest doesn't mean any kind of official BLM/Antifa association, as you falsely keep insisting. 
Any longform article in the New Yorker goes through the most extensive fact-checking process known to man, at least as far as journalism goes. Get back to me when you have a set of premises that matches the facts. Because your facts are wrong, your premises are wrong, and your conclusions are Party garbage. 

Mostly i think they are a bunch of thugs looking for a fight.  They know the violence is coming, they want it and expect it.

That being said groups like the proud boys are founded based on some pretty terrible principles so I hold them in more contempt than others.  
So still unwilling to condemn Antifa?

Vigilance on all sides is what I ask, even at its possibly justifiable roots of self-defense. 
Like nominating someone so boringly in the center, so stuck as part of the establishment to head a party that seldom elects anyone for anything outside of machine politics where a dozen or so exceptions will be quickly offered to prove the rule?

Users who are viewing this thread