What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Tommy Tremble, CAR (1 Viewer)

Notre Dame junior TE Tommy Tremble declared for the 2021 NFL Draft.

Tremble (6'4/248) caught 19-of-28 passes for a 68 percent catch rate, 11.5 YPC and 218 yards this year. Almost half of his yardage came in the first two games of the year, where he caught 8-of-10 passes for 104 yards. He never surpassed three targets in a game from that point forward as five-star true freshman Michael Mayer gradually took on a more prominent role in the passing attack. While Tremble has NFL size and pedigree, he was used in a fullback/H-back role in 2020 where his blocking acumen was utilized. Tremble doesn't have the flashy receiving stats to make NFL draftniks salivate, so he projects as a Day 3, in-line tight end prospect.

SOURCE: Tommy Tremble on Twitter

Jan 8, 2021, 11:26 AM ET

Tommy Tremble ‘Plays Like A Linebacker’ And Has Plenty Of NFL Intrigue

Tommy Tremble came to Notre Dame with buzz around his upside as a receiver and left with everyone impressed by his blocking.

It caught the NFL’s attention too.

So much so that Tremble, a two-year contributor at tight end for the Irish, declared for the 2021 NFL draft after three years despite a junior season with limited pass-game contributions. He was sixth on the team in catches and yards, didn’t score a touchdown and played the second-most snaps among Notre Dame tight ends. He made them count, though, with his obvious affinity for contact in the run game.

“Plays like a linebacker,” ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. “Great blocker, one of the best blocking tight ends you’ll see.”

In terms of draft stock, Kiper and other draft analysts think his offerings are worthy of a mid-round pick at worst. Kiper slotted him as the No. 8 tight end in his position-by-position rankings, while The Athletic’s Dane Brugler has him fourth. A day-two selection remains a strong possibility. 

“I think no later than the third or fourth round,” Kiper said. “Some think second round. That might be just a little high, but there’s no reason to believe he couldn’t be in that second group of tight ends with Pat Freiermuth from Penn State, Hunter Long from Boston College, Tre’ McKitty from Georgia. No reason Tommy Tremble can’t be graded right after Freiermuth and be the third tight end taken.”

NFL teams have demonstrated a willingness to overlook modest production in favor of traits at tight end in recent years. In the last three drafts, there have been seven tight ends taken who had 35 of fewer career catches in college. Tremble hopes to be the eighth. Of the prior seven, five were drafted before the end of the fourth round.

In some of those instances, the draft pick was a raw player or someone new to the tight end position who displays high receiving upside. In others, the blocking was too impressive to ignore, even if that meant a potential limited receiving impact. Elsewhere, it was someone who was blocked on the depth chart until later in his career or shared snaps.

The 6-3, 252-pound Tremble falls into a bit of all three. He’s coveted for his physicality and blocking ability, but there’s still an intriguing tool kit to be an impact receiving tight end. He ran a 4.63 40-yard dash at The Opening Atlanta regional in 2017, the fastest of any tight end at a regional that year. He’s nearly 30 pounds heavier now, but examples of him running past safeties and linebackers show up on his 2019 and 2020 tape.

“Although his production is lacking, his tape is enough to get evaluators excited,” Brugler wrote. “He displays the competitiveness to be a bulldozer as a run-blocker and ties up defenders in pass pro. He needs to mature as a route-runner and finisher, but he flashes the athleticism and body control to work past underneath defenders and make himself available as a target.”

After redshirting in 2018, Tremble caught 35 passes for 401 yards and four touchdowns from 2019-20. Freshman star Michael Mayer seized a passing-game role in training camp and led Notre Dame tight ends in snaps (564) and catches (42, tied for the team lead). He was the primary tight end in Notre Dame’s 11 personnel, which the Irish used on about half their snaps.

That meant fewer targets for Tremble, who played in multi-tight end formations out of which Notre Dame ran the ball more often than it threw it. Tremble played 472 snaps in 12 games and was targeted 28 times, which also ranked sixth on the team. He had 19 catches for 218 yards.

NFL teams understand it’s important to look at those numbers in the context of his playing time and Mayer’s presence, but the production still leads to some questions. If he is capable of providing big plays and has receiving upside, why wasn’t he more impactful in the passing game even when he was playing?

“He had some drops this year,” Kiper said. “He’s not as dependable and reliable catching the ball as you’d want. He made some improvement, and he knows he has to work on that to be a complete tight end. He has a chance to be a really good player in this league. If he can become more of a dependable player catching ball – you know he will be as good a blocker as you’ll find – he has the size, presents a good target to the quarterback and plays hard every down. There’s a lot to like.”

And enough to suggest his best days may be ahead of him.

“Overall, Tremble was underutilized as a receiver in college and therefore unrefined in areas,” Brugler wrote. “But he is an ascending pass-catcher and displays the point-of-attack skills to be an asset as a blocker. He projects as a better pro than a college player as he continues to develop.”

As an ND fan, he’ll be a good Pro but not a great fantasy asset. He seeks content like a fullback so he definitely will play the blocking TE role and do it well. Catches will be icing on the cake, but he’s had suspect hands at times, but his forte is definitely blocking. 

Notre Dame TE Tommy Tremble ran a 4.59 40-yard dash at his pro day workout.

Tremble (6'3/241) ran a phenomenal 40-yard dash in addition to a 36.5" vertical jump and 10'2" broad jump. He weighed in a little light for a blocking TE at 241 pounds but posted a top notch 8.8 RAS. While Tremble has NFL size and pedigree, he was used in a fullback/H-back role in 2020 where his blocking acumen was featured. Tremble doesn't have the flashy receiving stats to make NFL draftniks salivate, but he can block with the best of them and projects as a Day 2, in-line tight end prospect.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 2, 2021, 5:57 PM ET

Panthers selected Notre Dame TE Tommy Tremble with the No. 83 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Inarguably the best run-blocking tight end in the country, Tremble (6'4/242) was afforded little opportunity as a receiver at Notre Dame, totaling 53 career targets and eclipsing 50-yards receiving only once in 25 games. The explosion (36 1/2-inch vertical) and speed (4.65 40) he flashed at the Irish's pro day still make him an interesting prospect that coaches should be able to 'hide' both on the line and in the backfield on offense. Tremble best comps to Kyle Juszczyk if used as a hybrid TE/F-back, but odds are both Matt Rhule and Brady have something up their sleeves. Tremble arrives as the best blocker in the room over TEs Ian Thomas and Dan Arnold.

Apr 30, 2021, 10:32 PM ET

I grabbed Tremble off the waiver wire and I'm bullish on his prospects.  He looks like a fantastic blocker (which obviously does not score you fantasy points), and I think  he will be on the field - a lot.  There are a lot of mouths to feed with with McCaffery, Anderson, Moore, and Marshall, but I view him as a long term hold (says the guy who drafted, and still rosters, Higbee and Everett) and I think a path will clear in the next two to three years for him to be a 100+ target TE. In a game where situations change quickly, I won't be surprised if he's my starting TE in 2022... unless Hayden Hurst schools Kyle Pitts.

Also, take McCaffery at 1.01 in redraft.  Tremble is going blast open some huge holes at the line of scrimmage.

I grabbed Tremble off the waiver wire and I'm bullish on his prospects.  He looks like a fantastic blocker (which obviously does not score you fantasy points), and I think  he will be on the field - a lot.  There are a lot of mouths to feed with with McCaffery, Anderson, Moore, and Marshall, but I view him as a long term hold (says the guy who drafted, and still rosters, Higbee and Everett) and I think a path will clear in the next two to three years for him to be a 100+ target TE. In a game where situations change quickly, I won't be surprised if he's my starting TE in 2022... unless Hayden Hurst schools Kyle Pitts.

Also, take McCaffery at 1.01 in redraft.  Tremble is going blast open some huge holes at the line of scrimmage.
Roster spots are too valuable in some leagues to hold onto a project TE, but yes, if you have the space go for it.

I share your bullishness. Got him quite late in 14 teamer, I want to say as TE6. Was just too good value to pass as a development TE. Definite taxi squad project. But he has youth on his side and the fact he is a great blocker almost ensures he'll be on the field. And he's on a situation where they're is a clear path to relevance given the guys ahead of him. (Arnold and Thomas)

Hopefully he reaps better dividends than my last project Shaheen.   :)  

Grabbed him as my last rookie pick and can stash him on a 4-man taxi squad, so we'll see what develops.

Panthers TE Tommy Tremble scored a seven-yard rushing touchdown and caught a 30-yard pass in Carolina's Week 3 win over the Texans.

The third-round H-back had yet to touch the ball this season but emerged on the scene this evening after Christian McCaffrey departed with a hamstring injury. The 30-yard grab was Tremble's only target, but he looked like a load reeling it in. He also found the edge after going in pre-snap motion on his seven-yard touchdown run. He could be a part of the Panthers' CMC duct tape and gluing over the next few weeks, but Tremble obviously won't be offering any re-draft value, and there isn't much reason to pick up the phone in Dynasty. 

Sep 24, 2021, 12:19 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are trading Dan Arnold and a third-round draft pick to the Jaguars in exchange for CB C.J. Henderson. 

Henderson has reportedly been on the trading block since August. With Carolina needing secondary help after losing Jaycee Horn indefinitely to a foot injury, the Panthers made the move, dealing Arnold to Jacksonville. The Jags lost James O'Shaughnessy (ankle) for at least a few weeks and started journeyman TE Jacob Hollister Sunday against Arizona. Arnold should immediately step in as the team's top pass-catching tight end in an offense that made O'Shaughnessy fantasy viable for the season's first couple weeks. Arnold has flashed when given the chance. He had seven catches for 84 yards in three games with the Panthers. Rookie Tommy Tremble -- who caught a 30-yard pass and scored on a short rushing attempt in Week 3 -- profiles as Carolina's pass-catching tight end after Arnold's departure. The Darnold-to-Arnold era was short lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANy Panther fans in here who think he's getting starts soon? got him on the bench in one league and desperate at TE. He looks like he could be a weapon soon 

Tommy Tremble caught 1-of-3 targets for eight yards in the Panthers' Week 15 loss to the Bills. 

Tremble's usage is notable: He ran a pass route on a solid 64.5 percent of the team's drop backs -- an upgrade over his spotty usage in the past month. Tremble is barely a borderline fantasy option in the miserable Carolina offense. 

Dec 20, 2021, 10:13 AM ET

Faust said:
Tremble's usage is notable: He ran a pass route on a solid 64.5 percent of the team's drop backs -- an upgrade over his spotty usage in the past month. Tremble is barely a borderline fantasy option in the miserable Carolina offense. 
The bigger question is his dynasty future.  To me it doesn't look all that bright right now, but things change quickly in the NFL.  Hopefully they get a real QB.  You know, one that can throw the ball like they're supposed to be able to do.

Tommy Tremble caught 2-of-3 targets for 22 yards in the Panthers' Week 16 loss to the Bucs. 

Only eight tight ends ran more pass routes than Tremble on Sunday. He continues operating as the Panthers' primary pass-catching tight end -- not that the role means much in the unproductive Carolina offense. Tremble should remain on waiver wires ahead of the team's Week 17 game against New Orleans. 

Dec 27, 2021, 8:58 AM ET

Interesting flyer for me. Practically free out there. No idea if he is worth anything but I might take a couple dart throws at him. I suppose if he is in the FA pool he would probably go in the late 3rd early 4th. IDK.

Hmmmn.

Didn't do much his first year, not surprising for any NFL rookie TE so last year's 3rd round draft choice is overlooked where we 'can' find bargains so let's take another look.

Second year TE, listed atop their TE depth chartNice size, 6-4 and 248 lbs., very-good speed for a TE, 4.59 time in the 40-yard dash.  Exceptional blocker which can be a negative but will keep him on the field.  

Some interesting bits from his post-draft scouting report, especially the comp many scouts used to describe him.

Tommy Tremble: Scouting report for Carolina Panthers' new tight end

... Tremble shows excellent ball skills/hands and a quality understanding of finding open zones in short to intermediate passing downs. He also displays exciting run after catch ability and brings some of his nasty streak to that department.

After turning on Tremble’s tape, it is easy to see why so many scouts and analysts are calling him the next George Kittle..

... Carolina can line him up anywhere and get so much more creative with their blocking schemes on running plays. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a camp highlight which I did not find overly impressive, but the comments posted below caught my eye.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camp Highlight: Tommy Tremble catches touchdown from Sam Darnold

Ethan Myers 2 days ago

Tremble could be a monster just have to bri by him along, I’d like to see us use him in run game, not many LB’s can hang with this bull

Parker Davis 2 days ago

When they said he had an excellent spring and summer, I'm starting to see what they meant...

Spartans Creed1 day ago

That realease was absolutely beautiful...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the footballguys player blurb.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy Tremble CAROLINA PANTHERS

...surprisingly good play and potential of rookie Tommy Tremble. Tremble led the group with 20 receptions in 2021 and he scored the lone touchdown. He had seven games with 2+ receptions and remains a player who should continue to develop in Carolina's offensive structure in 2022 and beyond.

================================

Not hyping but interesting potential.

Tommy Tremble caught his only target for a 29-yard touchdown in Carolina's Week 7 win over Tampa Bay.

Ostensibly Carolina's No. 1 tight end, we haven't had to blurb Tremble all year as he has been held to one target or less in every one of his games this year outside of Week 4. This week, he happened to take the one target in for a score. Tremble remains a desperation DFS punt in Week 8 against the Falcons.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Users who are viewing this thread