What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eggcorns (1 Viewer)

Hov34

Eephus's Great Great Great Love Child
An eggcorn is a word or phrase that is mistakenly used for another word or phrase because it sounds similar and seems logical or plausible.

What are some of you favorites that you hear people misuse?

Mine:  "Take Things for Granite" instead of "Take Things for Granted"

Malaprop looking like the girl seeing her guy checking out Miss Eggcorn.

Back in my Navy days in a Groton shipyahd, I had an impolite moniker for Connecticut residents that I won't dare repeat here, which technically isn't a malaprop. But it's still better than nutmegger.

I stand corrected:

"An eggcorn differs from a malapropism, the latter being a substitution that creates a nonsensical phrase. ... Eggcorns often involve replacing an unfamiliar, archaic, or obscure word with a more common or modern word ("baited breath" for "bated breath")."

i do this to a friend of mine who is hyper aware of every tiny flaw. he can't help it. i'll throw words in to sentences that sound like they fit, but totally change the meaning of what i'm saying and it just ####### drives him crazy because he thinks i'm stupid and don't know better.

been great shtick for almost 30 years now

Not sure if this counts, but more than once I crossed paths with someone who had something to say about a labtop computer.

Also once got a helpdesk ticket to contact a guy named Hymen.  Turns out his name was Jaime.
That's a bridge too far for me to believe. Out with the truth, CIA.
It's a true story.  This was back in the mid-90s, but I distinctly recall several of us shared a chuckle.  Actually, the same guy was one who pounded out "labtop" on more than one occasion.  He was actually a decently bright guy, just young with gaps, and I know what that's like.  I was 22-ish when somebody pointed out to me that "avaidable" was not a word.

these are just mispronunciations. i'm thinking more like slipping things in like instead of "mispronunciations" saying "misappropriations" and then arguing with my friend about why misappropriation is technically the same thing.

him: DUDE, YOU'RE NOT STEALING ANYTHING! YOU'RE USING THE WRONG WORD! YOU DON'T APPROPRIATE WORDS!

me: i mean.. you kind of do if the word you're using is appropriate for the situation at hand.

him: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :hot:

:shrug:

Simon-taneously

My 77 year old Mother-In-Law said she had a HS teacher that used to say that and it drive her nuts.  Now I use say it on purpose all the time to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to pronounce hyperbole as hyper-bowl..

Welcome to the 10th annual HYPERBOWL!!!!! 

I still think that championship name has a ring to it. 

An eggcorn is a word or phrase that is mistakenly used for another word or phrase because it sounds similar and seems logical or plausible.

What are some of you favorites that you hear people misuse?
Back in college drove the 3,128 miles from Boulder Colorado up to Valdez Alaska with a buddy who would point out every single historical marker and say, 'Oh look a hysterical marker.'  

What is the difference between an eggcorn and a Freudian slip?

Cliff Claven: ” A Freudian slip is saying one thing and meaning a mother."

Users who are viewing this thread