What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB hoarding during times of scarcity - smart or no? (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Man, there are teams in bad, bad shape with RB's. I am suddenly loaded at RB and am starting to get offers.  Could use help at WR with Watkins out, but having a hard time assessing right value to my RB's, and also thinking not a bad idea to let those other owners die on a vine, especially in 2RB + flex in a non-ppr environment.  I'm finding the only WR I'm willing to break this up for is Antonio (owner is desperate for RB's) and maybe Beckham. Julio scares me nagging injuries, though I love me some Julio. I've at least hit partial lotteries, so in a 12 team league I have:

CJ Anderson

Lamar Miller

Christian Michael

Spencer Ware

Alfred Morris

Two 20 carry guys, the new #1 for now in Seattle, a great producer no matter what in Ware, and Alf, who with Zeke healthy is the only lottery ticket I haven't cashed yet.

I could make a deal.  But with other owners killed by zero RB strategies and/or injuries, as we enter bye weeks I'm thinking let 'em rot or get more desperate.  But I could give up one of my top 2 RBs + a Crabtree type and get Brown.  Believe it or not, still on the fence.  Am I crazy? Other RB rich owners - are you standing pat or in deal making mode.

Trade Miller + "Crabtree type" for Brown now and don't think twice about it. I don't even care about roster composition.

Then grab Booker off the waiver wire.

I have definitely lost leagues where I had admirable depth, and some guy with no bench killed me.  Give me three studs, and I'll kill a guy with 4 backs he likes.  

Make two for one offers, getting a stud WR in return, that's what I would try and do.

Trade Miller + "Crabtree type" for Brown now and don't think twice about it. I don't even care about roster composition.

Then grab Booker off the waiver wire.
Any RB with a pulse is off the wire.  Booker was gone a long time ago.  Howard, the Washington's, you name it - all gone.  Pretty sure I'd have to live with my remaining 4RB's and hope both Rawls and Charles don't come back 100%.  But the thought of getting Brown is juicy, and that owner is 0-3 and more desperate by the day.

Man, there are teams in bad, bad shape with RB's. I am suddenly loaded at RB and am starting to get offers.  Could use help at WR with Watkins out, but having a hard time assessing right value to my RB's, and also thinking not a bad idea to let those other owners die on a vine, especially in 2RB + flex in a non-ppr environment.  I'm finding the only WR I'm willing to break this up for is Antonio (owner is desperate for RB's) and maybe Beckham. Julio scares me nagging injuries, though I love me some Julio. I've at least hit partial lotteries, so in a 12 team league I have:

CJ Anderson

Lamar Miller

Christian Michael

Spencer Ware

Alfred Morris

Two 20 carry guys, the new #1 for now in Seattle, a great producer no matter what in Ware, and Alf, who with Zeke healthy is the only lottery ticket I haven't cashed yet.

I could make a deal.  But with other owners killed by zero RB strategies and/or injuries, as we enter bye weeks I'm thinking let 'em rot or get more desperate.  But I could give up one of my top 2 RBs + a Crabtree type and get Brown.  Believe it or not, still on the fence.  Am I crazy? Other RB rich owners - are you standing pat or in deal making mode.
I am of the belief that hoarding high upside RB's and pairing them with consistent wr's with high upside is the way to win fantasy leagues. There is soo much turnover in the RB position that if any of them hit--you have a valuable asset on your hands. I agree with the other poster that said you should look to flip one along with a solid WR and try to land an elite WR back in return.   You can't start all of them--so if you can translate some weekly bench points into extra weekly "starter" points--I think that's the way to go.  

Standard scoring league.  Start 2 Rb and can start a 3rd in my flex 

went Rb heavy in my draft and hit on just about every one of them. 

My backs are/were: DJ, Charles, Hill, Blount, Crowell, michael, Dwayne Washington.  

Dropped michael before week 2 when carrol declared Rawls back to being the starter and BC I'm an idiot. 

Still had 6 great backs.   Just traded Blount for Mike Evans.  Couldn't be happier.  Needed that wr1.  Now I have more balance.  Better starting lineup.  But still have 5 great RBS.  I'm good now. Not going to trade any others unless I have to.  Keeping that depth for the season is key.  I suspect I'll need each and every one of these guys at some point this season bw bye weeks and injuries. 

My lineup now is IMO other-worldly (remember it's non ppr)

stafford/Winston 

dj/Charles/hill/crow/Washington 

Evans/cooks/Djax/m. Floyd/k. White

j. Graham/d. Allen

phi def.  

this season is mine!  

Trade one of your backs!  

No bragging.  But thinly veiled AC Help Forum topic for me personally while hoping to get insight from others on one side or the other (stacked RB's or in a world of hurt).

Just about to pull the trigger on a Lamar Miller/Will Fuller deal to get Antonio Brown and Frank Gore. 

RB depth and depth in general is important to me through the bye weeks. Once I realize I'm going to be in the playoffs, hopefully before the trade deadline, I'll move my depth for better starters. Depth is nice, but I'd rather see points in my starting lineup than my bench. Plus, it makes lineup decisions easier too.

Also considering this as I have DJ, CJ, Gordon, Blount, and Michael (in a 10-team).  I think it's a little early to make a move and agree that it would take a real top-flight receiver to do it.

I'm in similar situation 12 team PPR we start 1 Rb 1 WR 3 flex Rb/WR/Te my Rb are Zeke Forte Ingram Howard Dixon Smallwood I will eventually try to get a Stud WR but only having to start 1 WR might hold tight for awhile

Guy didn't want 2 Texans.  So traded CJ Anderson and Will Fuller to get Antonio Brown and Frank Gore.  RB Depth paid off I think....Just need Michael, Ware, Gore and Alf to man RB2 or flex

No bragging.  But thinly veiled AC Help Forum topic for me personally while hoping to get insight from others on one side or the other (stacked RB's or in a world of hurt).

Just about to pull the trigger on a Lamar Miller/Will Fuller deal to get Antonio Brown and Frank Gore. 
Thats worse than rape my god

I'm in a crap situation in a redraft PPR with my RB2 (RB1 is McCoy) now that Bell is back (Was playing DWill). I have a bunch of WW guys with hopes that 1 pans out. Both Washingtons, Dixon, McKinnon, etc. I need a DEF this week to cover PHilly's bye, but I might roll without one as I don't want to drop a RB & then they blow up.

I am hoarding RBs myself. McCoy, Latavius, Stewart, Riddick, Dwayne Washington and Kenneth Dixon. Going to hold on to my hoard for now because frankly only Shady can be trusted. Banking that one of Washington or Dixon materialize into something.

In a similar position. I have Lamar Miller, Latavius, Michael, Ware and Howard. My QB and TE's are garbage so I am actually looking to upgrade there (currently targeting Winston and Greg Olsen). Definitely looking to get rid of Latavius and probably one of Howard/Ware. 

I will always hoard RB's when I can afford to. This year, not so much just yet. By afford to, I mean having good starters and decent depth at other positions which afford me the opportunity to sit on some RB's for later or injury insurance. Reality doesn't always go my way.

I have definitely lost leagues where I had admirable depth, and some guy with no bench killed me.  Give me three studs, and I'll kill a guy with 4 backs he likes.  

Make two for one offers, getting a stud WR in return, that's what I would try and do.
I'll take the opposite side of the discussion. Last year I has great rb depth and received a ton of injuries across my lineup and it was that rb depth that helped me hang in there and ultimately win the league.  I think either approach can be correct and that there is no certain answer.   It is situational 

I lean more towards hoarding because the position is weak right now so when you have that kind of depth it probably means you are killing 4-6 teams in your league.  That by itself can get you in the playoffs 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take the opposite side of the discussion. Last year I has great rb depth and received a ton of injuries across my lineup and it was that rb depth that helped me hang in there and ultimately win the league.  I think either approach can be correct and that there is no certain answer.   It is situational 

I lean more towards hoarding because the position is weak right now so when you have that kind of depth it probably means you are killing 4-6 teams in your league.  That by itself can get you in the playoffs 
That is the key part of the argument.  I do believe that if you let enough teams die on the vine unless they hit a lottery pick or win a FAAB due to injury X number of teams will be eliminated, and you have an easier path to the playoffs.  The question is can you win it with that lineup.  Lots of luck involved either way staying healthy, etc.

I would say that generally I don't think it's a good idea to hoard RB and you should always be looking to move them to upgrade your overall lineup.  The issue is that there may be 3 or 4 teams really hurting at RB but there are 8 or 9 that are OK.  You might be holding an advantage over those 3 or 4 but why not trade to help them out at RB and gain a better advantage over the other 8 or 9 teams.

Users who are viewing this thread