What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 Defensive Matchups (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
I'm thinking Week 1 most FF rosters have their first DST matchup set but looking at the schedule there are several teams with possible QB deficiencies, either because QBs are making their first start or journeymen are inserted due to injury/suspension or the failure of a draft pick to step up. This could be a harbinger for the season to come, you usually don't see this kind of mix of young, mediocre & backup QBs starting until the end of the season. It's a lot.

SF vs LA - Case Keenum

TEN vs MIN - Shaun Hill

Ari vs NE - Garopollo

NYG @ DAL - Prescott

Car @ Den - Siemian

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking Week 1 most FF rosters have their first DST matchup set but I think looking at the schedule there are several teams with possible QB deficiencies, either because QBs are making their first start or journeymen are inserted due to injury/suspension or the failure of a draft pick to step up. This could be a harbinger for the season to come, you usually don't see this kind of mix of young, mediocre & backup QBs starting until the end of the season. It's a lot.

SF vs LA - Case Keenum

TEN vs MIN - Shaun Hill

Ari vs NE - Garopollo

NYG @ DAL - Prescott

Car @ Den - Siemian
The nyg are pretty damn interesting.  They are supposedly much improved, on paper, against a rookie in his first game.....tempting 

I love to stream defenses, it's worked great 2013-15. The key is finding the team (QB) who yields the most DT/DST points against. But of course the first few weeks are a bit harder given the lack of current data.

These are the twelve least owned DSTs - 10% or less - with the DT on the left and the opponent in the right:

1. NYG @ DAL
  2. JAC v. GB (bad idea)
  3. BAL v. BUF
  4. DET @ IND (nope)
  5. DAL v. NYG
  6. ATL v. TB
  7. CHI @ HOU
  8. TEN v. MIN
  9. SF v. LA
  10. CLE @ PHI
  11. NO v. OAK
  12. SD @ KC

Yeah I have Pitt vs wash right now and don't feel great about it.  There are usually multiple def in the list above that will become top def for the whole year

Bal, nyj, cinci, nyg, min best avail able in mine

I'm going with NYG vs DAL. I know Prescott looked good in preseason but I think he's going to be a bit nervous in his first NFL start. 

NE at AZ is a fascinating matchup....AZ -5.5 o/u 47.5.

NE will find little running room so baptism by fire for JimmyG.  NE is a sneaky DEF play here....if Garapolo can avoid multiple picks....and Chandler Jones looking to decapitate him.

I'm rolling w/Philly for week 1 then I may drop them & pick up Jax & roll with them if they are as improved as they should be.

SeniorVBDStudent said:
NE at AZ is a fascinating matchup....AZ -5.5 o/u 47.5.

NE will find little running room so baptism by fire for JimmyG.  NE is a sneaky DEF play here....if Garapolo can avoid multiple picks....and Chandler Jones looking to decapitate him.
NE Defense is a sneaky play? Against the top offense in the league playing at home?

I'm not sure where you are going with this. I think NE D might be the worst play of the week.

Did you mean AZ D?

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I'm thinking Week 1 most FF rosters have their first DST matchup set but looking at the schedule there are several teams with possible QB deficiencies, either because QBs are making their first start or journeymen are inserted due to injury/suspension or the failure of a draft pick to step up. This could be a harbinger for the season to come, you usually don't see this kind of mix of young, mediocre & backup QBs starting until the end of the season. It's a lot.

SF vs LA - Case Keenum

TEN vs MIN - Shaun Hill

Ari vs NE - Garopollo

NYG @ DAL - Prescott

Car @ Den - Siemian
I am all over SF D this week. Drafted them in almost every league. Playing at home against Case Keenum. I think the Rams are going to absolutely suck this year.

NE Defense is a sneaky play? Against the top offense in the league playing at home?

I'm not sure where you are going with this. I think NE D might be the worst play of the week.

Did you mean AZ D?
Add too the fact that NE is starting Garopolo against one of the top defenses in the league. Think Arizona might have some short fields?

I like the idea of picking on Shaun Hill.
i like that idea too, but not here. I think Peterson will get a ton of touches and they will limit Hill as much as they can for the first week.

I really like Philly, Arizona, LA and my sneaky play is Kansas City. Rivers can be a turnover machine and Arrowhead is a difficult place to play.

Glad to see others on the Philly train vs Cleveland! I thought the Rams vs. SF might be good but feel Philly vs Cle should be better.

ZenMaster said:
I'm going with NYG vs DAL. I know Prescott looked good in preseason but I think he's going to be a bit nervous in his first NFL start. 
Not being contrary, asking a question - might this not be a good play as Dallas should limit the amount of passing done and try to lean extra heavy on the running game?  (Yes, I realize this would feature another rookie in Ezekiel Elliot.)

I don't get the Philly love for week one. I don't think we're going to see the same old Browns on offense this year (until RG3 gets hurt.)

I think I am going to go with GB vs. Jac.  I know the Jacksonville offense is solid.  However, I am not yet a believer in the Jac defense and I think GB will score some points on them.  In theory, that should lead to more passing from the Jags and opportunities for points.   Bortles threw 18 int's last year and was sacked 51 times.  I know they signed Beachum but he was hurt most of last year.  The Packers were 12th in avg. points per game allowed, 15th in yards, 9th in int's and 7th in sacks.  Matthews moving back to the outside should increase both the sack and int totals.  It's not the best matchup, but based on scoring systems the GB defense finished anywhere from 10-15 last year.  That and they get the Sean Hill led Vikings the next week.

I think the Eagles could be a sneaky play week 1.  Could sack Bob Griffin a lot plus Sproles a threat in return game (assuming your league uses D/ST COMBO AMD NOT SEPERATE UNITS)

I think the Eagles could be a sneaky play week 1.  Could sack Bob Griffin a lot plus Sproles a threat in return game (assuming your league uses D/ST COMBO AMD NOT SEPERATE UNITS)
Solid unit. High likelihood of RG3 being sacked and throwing a pick. Both teams will likely want to run the ball and slow the game down a bit since their defenses aren't so good. Nice part is that week 2 the Eagles play the Bears. You can say all the same things about that game as well with Cutler at QB.

Not being contrary, asking a question - might this not be a good play as Dallas should limit the amount of passing done and try to lean extra heavy on the running game?  (Yes, I realize this would feature another rookie in Ezekiel Elliot.)
I think the Giants are going to score enough points that it'll force the Cowboys to try to catch up. I think the Cowboys would like to stay on the ground if they can but I'm guessing/hoping they won't be able to do for too long. Just gotta hope Bad Eli doesn't show up.

It's funny after looking at all the changes they made they are still a pretty bad unit with the exception of the dline.  I don't think I would chance them until I see them play
Well they signed one of if not the best run stuffers, an edge rusher & a gambling CB. Presumably they have a healthier JPP. I'd take a prop bet that either Jenkins or DRC takes one of Dak's back for a pick six.

I guess temper that with they were horrible at stopping the run in 2015 (gave up something like 1,932 @ 4.4.) Dallas will be leaning on Zeke heavily, no?

Titans are popular pickup (home v. MIN) but I think I might just stick with the Jets D. They dominated the G-men's offense last Saturday night. 

Users who are viewing this thread