What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYJ First Round LB Darron Lee (1 Viewer)

Week 1 preseason grades

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685442/article/week-1-preseason-grades-paxton-lynch-among-top-afc-rookies

immediate "two-phase" contributor for the Patriots. GRADE: B

NEW YORK JETS: Darron Lee, linebacker. Jets coach Todd Bowles unleashed Lee against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday, and the football world should take notice. Lee was a Tasmanian devil on the field, exhibiting outstanding speed and explosiveness as a "run and chase" player. In addition, he displayed natural rush skills (one sack) and disruptive potential as a designated hunter from the second level. Yes, he did most of his work against the Jags' second team -- still, the first-rounder from Ohio State could be a big-time playmaker as part of the Jets' sub-packages. GRADE: A

Really like Lee's potential, especially when he landed with the Jets.  Seems like an ideal landing spot.  Only hesitation I have is with Lee's ability to get off of blockers.

Sometimes Lee gets swallowed up and he's still learning to get off lineman and the best ways to get around them without getting washed out.  Also wonder if he'll fatigue in his first season and hit that rookie wall.  If he flashes this season, he'll go from a player I want at decent value to a definite buy (even high).

He had two red-zone INTs in practice today. The kid definitely flashes, but he's only going to be a part time player this season.

Jets first-round draft pick Darron Lee showing his potential at camp 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-first-round-draft-pick-darron-lee-showing-potential-article-1.2761499

* BTW, even if Lee doesn't "start" (though I'm not sure he doesn't soon) but is a nickel LB, these days that translates to being on the field about 2/3 of the time, plenty of opportunity to be productive - especially if he is making big plays like sacks, INTs and FFs, in addition to tackles in conventional run support, given his sideline-to-sideline range.   

Yeah?  Can you expand a bit?  Do you believe E. Henderson is the 1st down ILB with Harris?
Yes, Henderson will start at ILB with Harris. Coach TB said Lee wouldn't start when they drafted him. Plus the OLBs only have one season combined (Mauldin's second year plus Jenkins the rookie). I don't think they want three inexperienced guys starting. He should see a good amount of time as a nickle LB. Lee and Carter are the best two coverage LBs on the team. Covering RBs and TEs has been our weakness.   Lee does have the ability to rush the passer, so he might chip in a few sacks.  He should gain playing time as the season progresses.

So....

all the LBs are sucking (for fantasy) this year?

• Lawson. hurt
  • Jack. back up.
  • Smith. IRd.
  • Lee. back up.
  • Jones. back up.
  • Dodd. back up.
  • Correa. back up.
  • Ragland. IRd.
  • Cravens? Uh, back up.
  • Spence? DLine.
  • Jenkins. Limited Strong side OLB.
  • Martinez. Still a back up.

So....

• Lawson. hurt
  • Jack. back up.
  • Smith. IRd.
  • Lee. back up.
  • Jones. back up.
  • Dodd. back up.
  • Correa. back up.
  • Ragland. IRd.
  • Cravens? Uh, back up.
  • Spence? DLine.
Man, good point.

Here's the rookies I am concentrating on:

Jack--Poz is short term.

Cravens--competition sucks. 

BJ Goodson--I have heard nothing about him, but the Giants LB are horrific. 

De'Vondre Campbell--Even if Deion Jones is good, there's room for another 3 down LB here.

Martinez--Not starting two preseason games in isn't an indictment. competition is not fierce, and he has looked good.  

Antonio Morrison--I liked him pre-draft, and I don't love the long term competition.  

All lagter round, guys, watch list types.  Might not pay off right away, but for the price, I like their chances.  

http://www.scout.com/nfl/jets/story/1698523-insider-tidbits-3-observations-aug-22

While Milliner was busy picking off the Jets second-round draft pick, the first-round pick was busy making plays and picking off Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty. Lee made two spectacular interceptions today, one leaping backwards near the sidelines off of Fitzpatrick and the other jumping up in the end zone to pick off Petty. Lee had a slow start to camp, as he was clearly adjusting to the speed and physicality of the NFL, but ever since that first preseason game against the Jaguars he has continued to showcase his ability.

It's obvious to everyone (reporters, Bowles, and Lee) that the game is starting to "slow down" for the rookie linebacker and his confidence just continues to grow with each passing day. Lee has continued to see more and more first-team reps, this week filling in for a banged up Erin Henderson, and his coach is clearly happy with the progress he sees in the fast rookie.

Bowles was asked if he'd feel comfortable with Lee starting at inside linebacker if they needed him to and Bowles simply said, "yes." It was as emphatic a yes as you'll hear from Bowles. No hedging, no down playing what we are witnessing, just a simple and direct, "yes."

So....

• Lawson. hurt
  • Jack. back up.
  • Smith. IRd.
  • Lee. back up.
  • Jones. back up.
  • Dodd. back up.
  • Correa. back up.
  • Ragland. IRd.
  • Cravens? Uh, back up.
  • Spence? DLine.
We knew Smith was likely redshirting in 2016 (tough luck for Ragland and BUF).

Being in the nickel defense can mean upwards of 2/3 of the snaps, so rookie LBs like Jack, Lee and Cravens should all be getting meaningful minutes (and the latter two could be starting) sooner than later. IMO they all have star potential.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So another NYJ LB got hurt last night (Harris).  I think thats 4 in the last 2 weeks.  So Lee might be a started by default now??  Although i noticed he didnt record a stat in last nights game.

Henderson left after a few plays and Lee took over. He flashed his speed on several plays, but badly whiffed on one tackle late in the game. Looks like Henderson might miss his next game although he has ten days between games. Let's see what happens. He's a work in progress.

Users who are viewing this thread