What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early Rookie Rankings (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
ETA: Updated and full combined (offensive and defensive prospects) draft board in Post 18 below.

I think we’ll eventually find that one or more of these linebacker prospects project to an immediate every-down role, and two to four of them will eventually crack the top 30 at their position. But for those looking to add an impact linebacker prospect for their 2011 lineups, this is currently the thinnest draft board I’ve seen in my 15 plus seasons of tracking fantasy defenders. The depth isn’t much better. At first glance, I’ve got just fewer than 30 draftable IDP prospects, and pending a review of the offensive prospects, I’ve got only six of them with grades in the third round or earlier.

The below ranking and tiers is still something of a work in progress and I’m hoping for lots of discussion and expect some movement as we all set our draft boards over the coming days and weeks. For now, I’m erring on the side of projecting players closer to their ceiling than floor and generally toward talent and upside within tiers. I’m also assuming a balanced scoring system, that DT and CB as separate positions, and 12-14 team league for the round grades.

Let me have it, especially if I've missed someone during the early cut-and-paste on my spreadsheet. :ph34r:

1 Nate Irving (early 2 – mid 2)

I’m not convinced that Irving is an every-down prospect, but there’s enough disagreement among scouts and evaluators (see Parcells first round grade) that I think he’s a favorite to take the MLB job from Joe Mays quickly and play every down based on John Elway’s comments yesterday.

2 Mason Foster (late 2 – early 3)

3 Martez Wilson (late 2 – early 3)

I think Foster is a surer every-down prospect than Irving, but can he show the range in run support and coverage necessary to play MLB in the Tampa-2? Are the Bucs really ready to let Barrett Ruud walk in FA? If the answer to the second question is yes, he’s the 1a prospect in rookie drafts. If not, he’s still a projectable every-down WLB deserving of consideration in the third round. I’m not sure what to think of Wilson’s scouting reports. I can’t shake the feeling that he’s more Keith Rivers than Keith Bulluck. He should be an every-down OLB for the aggressive New Orleans defense, though, and has a shot to be a perennial 82-85 solo guy with some big play upside. If you think he’s Bulluck, bump him up in your rankings.

4 Colin McCarthy (late 2 – late 3)

5 Jabaal Sheard (mid 3 – early 4)

6 Bruce Carter (late 3 – mid 4)

7 Jaiquawn Jarrett (late 3 – early 4)

I’ve had McCarthy in the tier above and below already today. His selection, and the lack of any apparent interest in re-signing Stephen Tulloch this winter, suggests that the team is planning to move on at MLB. One local observer suggested that Will Witherspoon could move inside, but he couldn’t hold up there over time in St. Louis and I’m not sure he fits the “want to get bigger at linebacker” comments. Gray is still playing his cards close to the vest, so McCarthy, Witherspoon, Rennie Curran and even Tulloch may still be under consideration as an every-down MLB. McCarthy is a risky bet in the second today, but taking him there this week might look like a steal in a month.

Sheard is a pre-draft favorite that I really wanted to land with a 4-3 team and the Browns have an immediate need for him. Free agent signings might push him into more of a rotational role, but he has a shot at 70 percent of the team’s snaps right away. I’ve gotten away from recommending rookie 4-3 ends this early recently given their tough transition against NFL offensive tackles, but I think Sheard’s combination of tenacity, leverage and smart pass rush is the right mix on which to take the risk. Jarrett is multiple tiers above his fantasy peers at the safety position and should start right away and has DB2 or better potential.

On further reflection, I’ve decided to stick my neck out for yet another 3-4 WILB prospect. This might be a weak spot for me, but I love that position in the 3-4 and I think Carter – if he returns to his pre-injury form – is as dynamic a prospect as Lawrence Timmons. Unfortunately, you may have to wait just as long to reap the potential benefits as there are suggestions that he’ll start camp on the PUP list and is clearly stuck behind Keith Brooking (and likely Sean Lee if Brooking is injured) in 2011. This is purely an upside play and one that’s probably best taken in the fourth round with all the interesting RB/WR prospects.

8 Patrick Peterson (mid 3 – late 4)

9 Casey Matthews (late 3 – late 4)

10 Von Miller (early 4 – late 4)

11 Robert Quinn (late 4)

12 Adrian Clayborn (late 4)

13 Akeem Ayers (mid 4 – mid 5)

Peterson is a strong selection in CB required leagues as early as the mid third round, but probably doesn’t make sense until sometime in the fourth given the ease of finding fantasy free agents at corner versus the upside WR/RB picks that are probably coming off the board in the third. He could fit anywhere in this tier.

I think Casey Matthews is a great fit as the Eagles WLB and I think he projects well enough in coverage to play in subpackages. But the Eagles have played more dime than nickel in recent years and seem to like to use a reserve backer as the second backer on some nickel snaps. That concern, plus a worry that the surrounding cast at LB and S might not support 80-85 solos from the WLB spot holds Matthews down a tier for me.

The Titans are clearly moving toward a hybrid scheme. Jerry Gray and Mike Munchak have said that they want to lean toward a bigger 4-3, but that they’ll consider 3-4 elements. Gray comes from the Gregg Williams philosophy, which wants to use a multiple front philosophy with pressure when the pieces are there. I think Akeem Ayers is a good piece for that scheme, but the tackle upside is questionable as is his consistency as a linebacker playing over the TE. He’ll have to be Adalius Thomas to crack the top 30 consistently. Von Miller is a similar player, but I like his pass rush upside and matchup LB3 potential much better.

I’ve got Quinn and Clayborn a half tier above Da’Quan Bowers and Cam Jordan based on scheme, injury and opportunity, but it’s close. I like Quinn’s spot, but he’s not as consistent in run support as I like in a balanced league. I think he’s more likely a 38-8 DL2 than a 45-10 stud. And given the usual transition time for 4-3 DE rookies, I’d look elsewhere until the fourth round. Quinn gets the nod over Clayborn on pass rush upside, but Clayborn has a higher floor. They’re nearly even on my draft board, take the one that fits your roster philosophy if put to a decision.

14 Greg Jones (late 4 – late 5)

15 Jonas Mouton (late 4 – late 5)

16 Da’Quan Bowers (late 4 – late 5)

17 Cameron Jordan (late 4 – late 5)

If Bowers shows he can play with leverage and turn the corner in the preseason, he’d clearly be a top ten player and be right with Sheard. But too many teams with pass rushing needs passed on him at least once and the Bucs clearly favored Clayborn. Both are worrisome for his immediate playing time and long term viability. For now, let someone else assume the risk (unless you’re convinced he’s a 40-10 guy by 2012) until the fifth round. I really, really like Jordan and the hybrid scheme in New Orleans isn’t a deal breaker. But he’s a rookie, he’ll be playing lots of 3-4 defensive end and potentially in rotation. He’ll have to hit his ceiling to have DL2 value by 2012.

Greg Jones is listed here on opportunity alone. The scouting reports I prefer have him as a top ILB candidate. Team after team after team with an immediate ILB need ignored him through multiple rounds. Those who have read my ramblings in the past know that I have something of a blind spot for an ILB prospect who isn’t super athletic and has questions in coverage when there’s opportunity to be had. Lance Mitchell, Albert Fincher, Phillip Dillard – the list goes on. But there’s also London Fletcher, Gerald Hayes, Ronald McKinnon, Greg Biekert and others who have worked out. Am I crazy for recommending Jones over a second round pick like Jonas Mouton? Probably. If the Chargers don’t re-sign Brandon Siler, Mouton moves into the top 10 and possibly higher if Donald Butler can’t play WILB or can’t hold Mouton off in the nickel.

18 Aldon Smith (late 5 – mid 7)

19 Quinton Carter (mid 6 - mid 7)

20 Kelvin Sheppard (mid 6 – FA)

21 Quan Sturdivant (early 7 - FA)

22 JJ Watt (early 7 – FA)

23 Shiloh Keo (7 – FA)

24 Nick Fairley (7 – FA)

25 Brandon Harris (7 – FA)

26 Ahmad Black (7 – FA)

27 Rahim Moore (7 – FA)

28 Ryan Kerrigan (7 – FA)

29 Brooks Reed (7 – FA)

FA to consider/watch

DE Marcell Dareus, Corey Liuget, Cameron Heyward

DT Stephen Paea, Drake Nevis, Christian Ballard, Marvin Austin

LB Justin Houston, Chris Carter, Dontay Moch

CB Prince Amukamara, Jimmy Smith, Ras-I Dowling, Aaron Williams, Chris Culliver

S Chris Conte, Jermale Hines, Christopher Prosinski, Robert Sands, Da’Norris Searcy

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene - Sturdivant is going to get a shot to play right away and IMHO his talent is underrated given where he was drafted.

Keep an eye on him as the offseason progresses, I think there's a great chance he surpasses expectations.

Jene - Sturdivant is going to get a shot to play right away and IMHO his talent is underrated given where he was drafted. Keep an eye on him as the offseason progresses, I think there's a great chance he surpasses expectations.
I'd have to agree--I think he pushes Lenon out and has a great chance to replicate those numbers. Is there a reason you're down on him here, Jene?Also, where would you see Marcell Dareus slotting?

Jene - Sturdivant is going to get a shot to play right away and IMHO his talent is underrated given where he was drafted. Keep an eye on him as the offseason progresses, I think there's a great chance he surpasses expectations.
I'd have to agree--I think he pushes Lenon out and has a great chance to replicate those numbers. Is there a reason you're down on him here, Jene?Also, where would you see Marcell Dareus slotting?
I don't see Sturdivant becoming an every-down linebacker over Daryl Washington in the long term. And I don't think he beats out Paris Lenon this year. I see him as a solid, not spectacular, base defensive SILB who may have matchup LB3/4 upside with a 2012 ETA without elite fantasy upside.Still, his ranking is a proofreading error. He belongs in the same tier as Kelvin Sheppard, who has much the same long term projection. I'm moving him from 27 to 19. Thanks for pointing him out.I like Dareus, but he'll be re-classified to DE on league management sites and I'm not certain he overcomes the 3-4 DE limitations as well as JJ Watt. But he's another proofreading error unfortunately. I do lots of cutting and pasting in Excel during the tier process, then do the write up in Word. Dareus absolutely belongs in the FA tier; I'd consider him with or ahead of Liuget and Heyward and there's certainly an argument that his versatility should put him alongside Watt.Thanks for uncrossing my eyeballs with these before I take them to the combined draft board.

Bloom 100 is done and should be published tomorrow. As usual, Jene and I differ greatly on some players value :)

what kind of value do you give to Nick Fairley in tackle heavy leagues that require DL? Such as 7.5 points per tackle vs 10 points for a sack. I would figure in that kind of tackle heavy scoring you would rate him a lot higher than he is currently?

I'm currently constructing my rookie draft board on a whiteboard with printed out pieces of paper for the names of each player. :) I've got a high opinion of Greg Jones. Coupled with my appreciation for the Giants' eye for talent and his reputation as the best 4-3 MLB in the draft, I have him ahead of Nate Irving by just a little bit. I have both as mid to late second round prospects.

After examining the IDP class, it's clear that this year is very weak compared to offensive players. I would only take a defensive player in the second round if the value at offense had dried up completely.

what kind of value do you give to Nick Fairley in tackle heavy leagues that require DL? Such as 7.5 points per tackle vs 10 points for a sack. I would figure in that kind of tackle heavy scoring you would rate him a lot higher than he is currently?
I haven't decided what I think of Fairley yet. I like the talent and the surrounding cast should keep him from being double teamed to often. He definitely has 40 solo tackle potential, but I tend to be more conservative projecting tackles for DTs and err on the side of pass rush upside when ranking them. I think Fairley could have as high as a fifth round grade in some leagues (DT specific with positional premium scoring, some tackle heavy leagues), but he still carries some risk for everyone else.

I'm currently constructing my rookie draft board on a whiteboard with printed out pieces of paper for the names of each player. :) I've got a high opinion of Greg Jones. Coupled with my appreciation for the Giants' eye for talent and his reputation as the best 4-3 MLB in the draft, I have him ahead of Nate Irving by just a little bit. I have both as mid to late second round prospects.After examining the IDP class, it's clear that this year is very weak compared to offensive players. I would only take a defensive player in the second round if the value at offense had dried up completely.
I'd bet that Jones is one of the players that Bloom will have much higher than I do, along with Quinn, Sheppard and maybe Amukamara. I'm still mulling over whether to jump him (and possibly Mouton) into that third tier around Carter and Matthews. Knowing my usual bias against players like Miller and Ayers and in favor of those like Jones, I expect I probably will in the first release of the combined draft board.

Jene and Bloom, great stuff! I can't spend near the time I used to on FF, so what you guys provide is just freakin golden.

But now I have to ask, given the weakness of this year's IDP prospects, no mention of Wilkerson? I think that in 2012 S Ellis will be retirted or released, and while 3-4 DE's are not sexy picks, I think Wilkerson can beat Ellis' FF production by his second year as an every down 3-4 DE, especially in tackle heavy leagues.

I think the Jets envision him as Ellis' replacement in fact, and I think he can pass rush as well as Ellis, but may be a bigger tackle producer down the road. The addition of another rookie NT, one who may or likely will be better than Pouha bodes well for Wilkerson as early as the 2012 season. Ellis has put up good numbers for a 3-4 DE and I think Wilkerson has better upside than than that.

Sure, I'm a Jets homer, but I think Wilkerson has sleeper potential. Thoughts?

Jene and Bloom, great stuff! I can't spend near the time I used to on FF, so what you guys provide is just freakin golden. But now I have to ask, given the weakness of this year's IDP prospects, no mention of Wilkerson? I think that in 2012 S Ellis will be retirted or released, and while 3-4 DE's are not sexy picks, I think Wilkerson can beat Ellis' FF production by his second year as an every down 3-4 DE, especially in tackle heavy leagues. I think the Jets envision him as Ellis' replacement in fact, and I think he can pass rush as well as Ellis, but may be a bigger tackle producer down the road. The addition of another rookie NT, one who may or likely will be better than Pouha bodes well for Wilkerson as early as the 2012 season. Ellis has put up good numbers for a 3-4 DE and I think Wilkerson has better upside than than that.Sure, I'm a Jets homer, but I think Wilkerson has sleeper potential. Thoughts?
He could be a long term matchup DE2. Any of these 3-4 ends could grow into a Calais Campbell. But I don't see double digit pass rush upside and I think all of them will be rotational players through 2012 (with the possible exception of Cam Jordan). I think Wilkerson belongs in among the 7th round / FA potentials, but I think he's more of a watch list candidate except in the deepest of leagues.

Some tweaks to this list in the first version of my combined draft board feature.

Also, I'm attaching a PDF file for those who might be interested in printing the board or find the PDF spreadsheet easier to follow than the HTML version.

I bumped Quinn up a full tier, nearly even with Sheard, but I still like Sheard's tackle upside and immediate opportunity slightly better.

Combined Draft Board.pdf

Attachments

• Combined Draft Board.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 389
Some tweaks to this list in the first version of my combined draft board feature.

Also, I'm attaching a PDF file for those who might be interested in printing the board or find the PDF spreadsheet easier to follow than the HTML version.

I bumped Quinn up a full tier, nearly even with Sheard, but I still like Sheard's tackle upside and immediate opportunity slightly better.
Thanks for the PDF. Gotta say, I really like your tiering system; it really conveys your thoughts better than a purely numerical ranking. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Rams linebacker Jabara Williams, who seems to have been on a number of "top small school talents available" lists. Considering the weakness of the STL linebacking corps in general, and his potential to wind up at WLB, shouldn't he be on late-round sleeper lists as a raw, but high-ceiling rookie?

Thanks for the PDF. Gotta say, I really like your tiering system; it really conveys your thoughts better than a purely numerical ranking. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Rams linebacker Jabara Williams, who seems to have been on a number of "top small school talents available" lists. Considering the weakness of the STL linebacking corps in general, and his potential to wind up at WLB, shouldn't he be on late-round sleeper lists as a raw, but high-ceiling rookie?
Thanks. It seems I move further away from rank lists and closer toward a dedicated tiering system each year.I saw that note today. I'd definitely have him on a deep watch list, but his chance of hitting that ceiling (every-down WLB) are low enough that I'd keep him on the watch list in even the deepest of leagues unless/until he shows promise on tape during the preseason.

Great work here Jene. The PDF version really helps. It's always good to compare my own rankings to those of the experts. :thumbup:

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: I love it. I can't wait for the IDP roundtable podcast too

Glad they are so specific

Third-round pick Mason Foster offers options for Bucs

The Bucs selected Washington linebacker Mason Foster in the third round tonight, giving Tampa Bay a versatile player who has played all three linebacker spots and offers the Bucs options.

Neither Foster nor Bucs coach Raheem Morris offered a hint about where Foster would ultimately play because that is as yet undecided. But Morris said Foster is a skilled edge rusher in the mold of Dekoda Watson and Quincy Black but also is savvy in coverage, when necessary. And playing middle linebacker is not out of the question, particularly because of the free-agent status of current starter Barrett Ruud.

Morris cited that uncertainty as one of the reasons Foster was so attractive to the Bucs.

"He plays inside a little bit," Morris said. "Legitimately, you could see Mason Foster playing the (strongside) position, he can play rush end, you could see him play inside backer, you could see him play the weakside linebacker. He legitimately did it all in college on tape and that was really intriguing to us because of the uncertainty."

Hey Dr. Jene,

I know news has been going fairly slow lately, but have you made any changes in your Combine Draft Board tier ranking?

I'm looking for rookie OLB's

Any suggestions? I plan to target Casey Matthews, Brooks Reed, and Akeem Dent. The scoring system is 1:1 tackle-sack ratio.

Thx

Hey Dr. Jene,I know news has been going fairly slow lately, but have you made any changes in your Combine Draft Board tier ranking? I'm looking for rookie OLB'sAny suggestions? I plan to target Casey Matthews, Brooks Reed, and Akeem Dent. The scoring system is 1:1 tackle-sack ratio.Thx
No major changes. I have Austin Pettis and Ronald Johnson around a tier higher each. I'd probably bring Shiloh Keo up to the top of the 6th round ahead of Quinton Carter, too. The only rookie OLBs likely to make an impact (outside of the pass rushers, including Ayers/Miller) before the end of 2012 are Wilson and possibly Matthews. The order of the pass rushers hasn't changed either. The Falcons are apparently going to let Dent learn the MLB position first, which should be his best fit, though that could change down the line.

Jene, how much would you move Patrick Peterson up your draft board in a league that separates CB's and S's AND awards points for return yardage? (1 pt per 20 KO yards, 10 Punt yards). Is value goes up considerably wouldnt you say? Anyone else whose value would go up in return or cb leagues?

Jene, how much would you move Patrick Peterson up your draft board in a league that separates CB's and S's AND awards points for return yardage? (1 pt per 20 KO yards, 10 Punt yards). Is value goes up considerably wouldnt you say? Anyone else whose value would go up in return or cb leagues?
I'd be surprised if Peterson (as a stud starting corner) will return every kick, but I've not followed that situation closely enough to be certain. I'd have Peterson in the 4th round range still in a CB required league, just behind the top DE prospects, even with Jarrett and the second tier LB prospects.

Hey Jene,

do you see Chris Carter being an extremely long term investment? I'm thinking of cutting him from my PS because I'm over the roster limit. The others that I might cut in his stead is maybe AJ Edds.

Hey Jene,do you see Chris Carter being an extremely long term investment? I'm thinking of cutting him from my PS because I'm over the roster limit. The others that I might cut in his stead is maybe AJ Edds.
Carter should be fourth on the OLB depth chart (possibly fifth if Lawrence Timmons is a consideration) entering the season. He'll need to adapt to the 3-4 OLB role, specifically learning to rush the passer against NFL-caliber offensive lines and master the nuances of the zone blitz scheme, before he'll get meaningful playing time. I think he could be in the mix in 2012, but it's very unlikely that he gets meaningful snaps this year.

'Jene Bramel said:
I think he could be in the mix in 2012, but it's very unlikely that he gets meaningful snaps this year.
As a Steelers' honk, I'd say very, VERY, unlikely is more like it. Keith Butler(he's the Steelers LB coach, and likely heir apparent to LeBeau's DC spot) is extremely reticent to put players out there for more than "mop up" duty at LB unless he's pretty confident that they aren't going to make that many mental errors. That's why you hardly ever see even their "highly touted" LB draftees getting face time until well into their first season. I suppose Carter could surprise and pick up LeBeau's defense quickly, forcing his way into some pass rush situations, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. Keep in mind, this is a team that burnt a first and second rounder on LBs just a few years ago and pretty much redshirted them both. As I mentioned, Butler holds his guys to a pretty high standard if everything remains equal(injuries, etc).

I think the # of rookies who've contributed significantly at LB in year one for LeBeau in Pittsburgh can be counted on one, maybe two, fingers. Kendrell Bell and.....Kendrell Bell. And even Bell, IIRC, was thrown into the fire out of necessity(Kirkland went FA that year and the options I remember behind him were either nearly as green as Bell was/were scary. John Fiala, anyone?).

I think Carter, much like Worilds, was brought in with a couple general things in mind(other than the fact that both project well in LeBeau's fire zone). 1. James Harrison is aging, and 2. Lamar Woodley wants a long-term(read:"big money") deal ASAP. If the latter can't be agreed upon, the Steelers are, in theory, covering themselves for 2012 and beyond for life without Woodley. The former will continue to be an issue since, like all of us, Harrison isn't going to stop getting older. So, even if Woodley is retained long-term the Steeler will probably soon need a new ROLB. There had been some early talk when Timmons was moved inside that he could/would eventually move back to the outside, but over the past two seasons he's really brought back something the Steelers haven't had since probably Chad Brown: A legit threat to get after the QB from the inside. He's their best coverage LB too, so he gives LeBeau a ton of options if he's kept in the interior. I'm of the mind that I doubt Timmons is ever shifted.

That was my really long-winded way of saying: I agree with you. At the earliest, Carter may contribute something in 2012. :) Even then, though, he'd probably be a very situational player. 2013, on the other hand, could see one of Carter or Worilds in the starting lineup as the "rush LB." Harrison will be 35 by then and I think his contract is either up or will be in its final year. With Harrison's well documented feelings on the new rules for hitting/etc., I'm pretty confident he's retiring after this contract's up even if he's still physically able to play for a few more years.

Anyone have any thoughts on Terrell McClain, he should probably start right away for Carolina and he is a good pass rusher from the interior, my leagues you have to start a DT, and for the most part they suck scoring wise, but if you get one that mixes in some sacks with his 2-4 tackles a game, he could be decent.

Anyone have any thoughts on Terrell McClain, he should probably start right away for Carolina and he is a good pass rusher from the interior, my leagues you have to start a DT, and for the most part they suck scoring wise, but if you get one that mixes in some sacks with his 2-4 tackles a game, he could be decent.
anyone have any input on him? In a rookie draft right now and need a DT. Thanks.

'JoeSteeler said:
anyone have any input on him? In a rookie draft right now and need a DT. Thanks.
I should have included him with the other watch list rotational guys in my rookie tiers. Still a lot of ifs to count on him as a 2011 contributor. Best case scenario is probably a major role in the rotation with a small handful of productive games, but that forecast could change if he looks good in the preseason.

'JoeSteeler said:
I should have included him with the other watch list rotational guys in my rookie tiers. Still a lot of ifs to count on him as a 2011 contributor. Best case scenario is probably a major role in the rotation with a small handful of productive games, but that forecast could change if he looks good in the preseason.
Thanks Jene!

Sig Bloom has Sturdivant ranked 5th right now

1 ILB Bruce Carter, DAL

2 ILB Nate Irving, DEN

4 ILB Mason Foster, TB

3 DE Robert Quinn, STL

11 ILB Quan Sturdivant, ARI

Jene got a question for you if your Dynasty keeper league was TD heavy non PPR and Tackle heavy (tackles and assist worth 1 point and sacks 1 point) how would your board change?

Also what LB do you see as future 3 down backs regardless of when, I dont care if they dont start this year or next (barrett ruud type)?

All the rush linebackers would become matchup LB3 at best. You'd essentially be adding a best case scenario 18 sacks to a 65 solo season. 83 solos isn't a great season and would likely be outside the top 20-25. And that's the best of the rush backers.

Jene got a question for you if your Dynasty keeper league was TD heavy non PPR and Tackle heavy (tackles and assist worth 1 point and sacks 1 point) how would your board change?Also what LB do you see as future 3 down backs regardless of when, I dont care if they dont start this year or next (barrett ruud type)?
I think all the pash rush LBs will be worth much much less like Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews

All the rush linebackers would become matchup LB3 at best. You'd essentially be adding a best case scenario 18 sacks to a 65 solo season. 83 solos isn't a great season and would likely be outside the top 20-25. And that's the best of the rush backers.
I am referring to your Rookie ranking spread sheet, what players would you move up or down based on scoring I provided? TD heavy non PPR for O and Crazy tackle heavy for D?

I might move a bigger back with goal line capability and less third duty up a half tier. Guys like Powell and Scott. Not sure I'd do much with the receivers. Probably move Jernigan down and goal line and deep threats like Pettis and Moore up.

I wouldn't draft any of the rush OLBs. Probably shy away from all DE until very late. Don't think the texture of the defensive board would change much in order though.

Looks like Mason Foster has signed.

From Twitter

@HolderStephen

#Bucs GM Dominik says he's signed Mason Foster -- 3rd rd pick. 4 yrs

Barrett Ruud no longer appears to be in Bucs futureLinebacker Barrett Ruud may have played his last snap with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

General manager Mark Dominik indicated the Bucs have no plans to re-sign Ruud, an unrestricted free agent who led the team in tackles the last four years.

Dominik announced Tuesday the team moved quickly to sign linebacker Mason Foster, the team's third-round pick from Washington.

"That's a big element because he's a big part of our future plans here,'' Dominik said. "So getting him under contract and letting him be in the building tonight already and starting to learn is the most important thing we can do.''

Dominik said Tyrone McKenzie, the former South Florida star who was acquired off waivers from the New England Patriots, also will compete at middle linebacker.

"I have high expectations for Mason Foster and what he'll be for this football team,'' Dominik said. "I also think that Tyrone McKenzie learned a lot at the (middle) linebacker position. We also signed a guy I considered in the seventh round, Derelle Smith, a middle linebacker from Syracuse I thought was a really talented college football player. So I have a lot of young guys, certainly, who have to step into big shoes and to a really mental position. But I have a lot confidence in who Mason Foster is and his mental make-up to be able to do so.''

However, Ruud, a second-round pick by the Bucs in 2005, didn't seem ready to close the door on Tampa Bay. When asked if he believed he'd played his last game for the Bucs, Ruud was non-committal.

"That's tough to say,'' Ruud said Tuesday. "I'm just going to wait until all this stuff is finalized before I really delve into it. I want to wait until when everybody is signed, when the actual picture comes out.

"I have no idea in all honesty. If I've got more football there, that's great. If not, it's understandable there, too.''

Ruud missed the off-season in 2009 as a restricted free agent, hoping to force the Bucs to offer him a contract extension. Prior to last season, he attended every off-season workout but was visibly upset that the club elected to sign left tackle Donald Penn to a new contract while bypassing him again.

But Ruud did not let his frustrations get the best of him on the field. He joined former linebacker Derrick Brooks as the only player in club history to lead the team in tackles in four straight seasons, finishing with 118 stops, two sacks, one interception and two fumble recoveries.

Ruud said he received interest from several teams Tuesday, the first day NFL teams can begin contacting free agents.

"It's early in the process,'' Ruud said. "A lot of people say you shouldn't reflect what you feel about somebody and just let it play out. We've gotten a few calls but I want to wait and hear everything. That's the great thing about this process, you can hear from everybody....it's a crazy time, no doubt. We've never seen anything like it.''

Meanwhile, Dominik declined to reveal whether he's had any discussions aimed at re-signing Ruud.

"I would say an important element for us long-term is that we got Mason Foster signed to a four-year contract,'' Dominik said. "Obviously, I think it's important your (middle) linebacker, a young guy we drafted is here on this football team and trying to learn the system as fast as possible and any kind of discussions with Barrett or his agent I would leave out of the picture right now.''

Bump in the hope that Jene finds the time to update the combined draftboard with the latest (or at least tell us his latest thoughts ;) )

Bump in the hope that Jene finds the time to update the combined draftboard with the latest (or at least tell us his latest thoughts ;) )
Probably not going to be a major update unfortunately.Quick thoughts by position:QB: Not much change, probably would consider Dalton a half tier ahead of Kaepernick and Locker.RB: No major changes. Like Powell a little better, maybe a half tier.WR: Cobb and Baldwin down a tier. Salas and Moore up a tier.TE: Julius Thomas up. DJ Williams up.DE: Bowers up with Sheard/Quinn.LB: Matthews into top tier, McCarthy, too. As much Irving back as anything.

Probably not going to be a major update unfortunately.

Quick thoughts by position:

QB: Not much change, probably would consider Dalton a half tier ahead of Kaepernick and Locker.

RB: No major changes. Like Powell a little better, maybe a half tier.

WR: Cobb and Baldwin down a tier. Salas and Moore up a tier.

TE: Julius Thomas up. DJ Williams up.

DE: Bowers up with Sheard/Quinn.

LB: Matthews into top tier, McCarthy, too. As much Irving back as anything.
Curious why you have Cobb down a tier considering the positive camp reports. Is it because the Packers re-signed James Jones?

Probably not going to be a major update unfortunately.

Quick thoughts by position:

QB: Not much change, probably would consider Dalton a half tier ahead of Kaepernick and Locker.

RB: No major changes. Like Powell a little better, maybe a half tier.

WR: Cobb and Baldwin down a tier. Salas and Moore up a tier.

TE: Julius Thomas up. DJ Williams up.

DE: Bowers up with Sheard/Quinn.

LB: Matthews into top tier, McCarthy, too. As much Irving back as anything.
Curious why you have Cobb down a tier considering the positive camp reports. Is it because the Packers re-signed James Jones?
Yes, that signing (3yr deal) makes it a little less likely he'll be an outside receiver. I like him and would still would have him at the top of the tier, but it's now a bigger tier and I wouldn't make Cobb a priority at the end of round one ahead of Vereen, Murray, Gabbert any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread