What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1970s music draft- Link to google spreadsheet in first post (1 Viewer)

Should I be up, or is Binky?

I don't know what mans means, I guess. 
It's an autocorrect flub ... but I really do wonder what Tim was trying to type :D  

EDIT: Wait Tim: with Binky joining up and taking Aerial's spot ... Binky should make a pick before Rock's next pick. And as I type this, Rove is in the house.

Guys, go see the draft order on pg 1 -- just sub out Aerial at 1.19 and replace with Binky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rove -- you can make your second rounder now, too ... it's a snake draft.

Binky's here, too  ...

Binky -- you can drop off two quick picks (1.19, 2.02) if there are some you know you gotta have, without too much thought.

OK, Rove! is OTC for one more pick. Since Binky came late, he can make both his picks whenever he'd like. After Rove, rockaction is back on the clock. 

Wish You Were Here was one of the albums I think is better than Dark Side of the Moon

OK, Rove! is OTC for one more pick. Since Binky came late, he can make both his picks whenever he'd like. After Rove, rockaction is back on the clock. 

Wish You Were Here was one of the albums I think is better than Dark Side of the Moon
Animals, too - right??  :rant:

Will be heading out for baseball soon, so if we get back to my pick just skip me and I will pick around 9cst or so. 

Let It Be is an underrated Beatles Album- if there is such a thing- but I always felt that Let It Be and Magical Mystery Tour didn't get the respect that the other 3 later Beatles albums got (Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road) and the material is every bit as strong. I particularly love "Two of Us" and "I've Got a Feeling." 

rockaction's writeup of American Beauty was charmingly bizarre as always. But I do love that album, mostly for the fine pop melodies. "Friend of the Devil" and "Box of Rain" relax me. 

About the same for me. I put Wish You Were Here a rung higher. 

But I have to add: 3 albums in the first round already?? That's way too much Pink Floyd for me. 
Not too much for me. By the way, I LOVE Wish You Were Here too. My second favorite PF album. A very close second. 

Let It Be is an underrated Beatles Album- if there is such a thing- but I always felt that Let It Be and Magical Mystery Tour didn't get the respect that the other 3 later Beatles albums got (Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road) and the material is every bit as strong. I particularly love "Two of Us" and "I've Got a Feeling." 

rockaction's writeup of American Beauty was charmingly bizarre as always. But I do love that album, mostly for the fine pop melodies. "Friend of the Devil" and "Box of Rain" relax me. 
It's funny; I find that album so moving and deeply felt as a portrait of the wanderlust of America that nothing about it relaxes me. Heck, Box of Rain is about terminal cancer and perspectives on life and dying. 

Oh well, different people will take different things from it. That would seem to be the perspective aspect of their philosophy. As they would say later in their catalog. 

"Once in a while I can show you the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

Agreed, and I'm not sure that it's particularly close. DSOTM had the moment, but I think WYWH had the better songs. Plus, the title song was the one I could see Otis Redding singing and that puts it at the top for me.

Agreed, and I'm not sure that it's particularly close. DSOTM had the moment, but I think WYWH had the better songs. Plus, the title song was the one I could see Otis Redding singing and that puts it at the top for me.
Fred Durst on the other hand  :bag:

Well, alright. Here it is. Again. And it's called...

2.03 - Wire - Pink Flag - (Post-punk/Punk album)

Reporting is difficult. Putting one's self in a position where one must give information from remote locales to let people know what is going on in this life can take a lot out of someone. Underappreciated and weary from the world, the messengers are indeed often shot. So begins the art rock masterpiece that is Pink Flag, in the form of a war correspondent reporting on a civil war, a picture of the nearly dystopian life of inner-city decay in 1977 England. We have the news agency who employs him or her inform us ominously "Our own correspondent is sorry to tell…of an uneasy time when all is not well...

Looting! Burning! Rape!" cry Wire at the end of those three minutes, followed by a militant march of vocals simply intoning "Alright! Alright! Alirght!" It serves as both a plaintive wail about the state of the world and also an announcement that within the art world, something destructive and yet transformative is going on, and the only way to capture it is to do what Wire is doing, and nothing else will suffice. It's a very confident political and social comment that implies that only the truly artistic can report on what is going on with art, music, or literature. A record is a document, if you will, and they seem to be saying (it’s a sentiment and a word that winds up in the title of one of their later live albums) that this is the document that matters. It’s life or death. (If Document sounds familiar to the indie music ear, it's probably no accident that R.E.M. covered Strange on its own album titled Document, located on this very album.)

So we have our correspondent, missing as he were, and thus begins the rest of the reportage. Our news will be delivered by these art school castoffs – and the album does indeed deliver. It veers from snarling rock and bombast to minimalism to pop to riffage and back again within the first three songs. There isn't a false note on this album and the classics that the messenger delivers to us might take a long time to reach the masses, but eventually they do. Pop synth girl groups take the riff of Three Girl Rhumba . Minor Threat needs to cover 12XU. Mr. Suit winds up on the criminally under-appreciated !!Destroy-Oh-Boy!! by the New Bomb Turks. Mannequin's melodies are copped by almost every swinging heavy metal band that ever had a hair moment. A pop masterpiece, according to some. Lowdown simply riffs an angularity rarely heard up until that time.  And so goes the album, song after song, each masterfully different, pulling off all sorts of styles, keeping melody in mind with their punk roots. It’s a serious work, and the band treated it as such. There was so much quality material cut from the record that subsequent pressings have bonus songs, much to the band’s chagrin. Not that bonus songs and cut material are indicia of those songs's quality, but one listen to Dot DashOptions R, or Love Ain't Polite, followed by the band’s subsequent rejection of all three on the original document shows that they were curators of their own work. They viewed the album as a whole, as an entity. Regardless of one's opinion about hifalutin notions of metaphor, the art world, etc., if this was the entity and if this was the document of the art world in England in 1977, it’s something to herald a little more loudly than we've done before.  

1.18 Grateful Dead – American Beauty – (1970)

Social consciousness is difficult to escape these days. Given today's climate, escape seems a desirable alternative to engagement. But figuring out the root cause of how we got here might mean merely chasing the original cause down the rabbit hole, naked and bare-assed for the world, struggling to fit in something not made for humans. That’s unsatisfactory. So how do we address the religiosity and rigidity of our sociopolitical state of mind, or much more importantly, how do we find the way around it -- down and off the beaten paths to La Honda, a little bit further, if you will? Holding hands with Garcia, Mountain Girl simply intones, and the rest follow her lead.

The Warner Brothers promo for this album states: “I’d like to tell you that [so-and-so left to follow the Dead and can be found skinny dipping at your local motel]. But you’re no fool. You’d complain. We'd get in trouble. And Jerry Garcia probably would get busted again.” Oh yes, you would. You’d complain. Or you’d shut the shades and smoke your smoke, secretly hoping she’d Phoebe Cates up in your door and lecture you for wanting her.

Or something.   

So it’s a bit sexist and heteronormative for today's times, sure. It’s also paradoxically a bit communal in spirit – if only you saw the world as the Dead, then hell, we’d all be individualist democrats. And at heart, it really is one of the most mellow drink, ####, fight, throw your fists at God and former lovers album that ever could be recorded, guerilla-style but with an alluring gentility, as Americans always have been. Brash, gentle, individualist, contemplative about all three things. Ripple. Box of Rain. Truckin’. Candyman. Brokedown Palace. It tunes in, turns on, attempts to thoughtfully drop out.

So what happens when American Beauty and freedom meet the inevitable realities of politics and of life in general? Well, we deal with it in the way Americans have dealt with it since our original crossing. Water. What? Yes, water, that baptismal rite (this album is full of passages and travel; echoes of the frontiersman and settlers abound on it). There is also perspective and empiricism, and pantheism, of course, but for which we would not have hippie and transcendental movements. For better or worse, this album brims with Americanisms and high Americana, seeing religion through the lens of nature; seeking to address eternal questions through individual perspective and the brief understandings of the tangible and present; and the plain old good fun and heartbreak through the outlaw’s mind when the majority doesn’t suit him.  It’s radical individualism, presented with a panache and flair that answers to nobody, and it is a singular achievement of the holdover ‘60s into the ‘70s. They may have made the acid illegal, but the flashbacks of what once could have been are here to stay. There isn’t a song on this album that isn’t memorable, doesn’t have a quote worthy of a passage of rite in life. It was made for yearbooks, if only it hadn't been done so often before. But if you're unafraid to be a bit redundant sometimes, you can leave others a pearl of wisdom of what your uncool self always wanted to be.

And did I mention it has the best album cover possibly ever put forth on a rock album, beautiful rosewood and a powder blue ambigram that also reads "American Reality?" Look closer, you'll see it. Don't dig deeper, just go beyond. Anyway, enough of that, here's the important stuff. 

For natural wit and yearbook quotes everywhere (one from each song):

“It’s just a box of rain…wind and water. Believe it if you need it. If you don’t just pass it on…sun and shower, wind and rain, in and out the window like a moth before a flame…it’s just a box of rain, or a ribbon for your hair, such a long, long time to be gone, and short time to be there.” - Box Of Rain 

“I ran down to the levee but the devil caught me there, He took my twenty dollar bill and he vanished in the air.” - Friend Of The Devil

“Sweet blossom come on, under the willow, we can have high times if you’ll abide. We can discover the wonders of nature, rolling in the rushes down by the riverside.” - Sugar Magnolia

“It’s floodin’ down in Texas, poles are out in Utah. Gotta find a private line.” - Operator

“Come on all your pretty women, with your hair a hanging down, open up your windows cuz the candyman’s in town…if you got a dollar boys, lay it on the line, hand me my old guitar, pass the whiskey round” - Candyman

“Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.” - Ripple 

“In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head. Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul...sing a lullaby beside the water, lovers come and go, the river roll, roll, roll” - Brokedown Palace

“The shape it takes could be yours to choose…what you may win, what you may lose.” - Till The Morning Comes

“When there was no dream of mine, you dreamed of me.” - Attics Of My Life 

“Busted, down on on Bourbon Street, set up, like a bowlin’ pin…what a long, strange trip it’s been!” - Truckin' 

"Fare you well my honey/fare you well my only true one/all the birds that were singing have flown except for you alone" - Brokedown Palace
As someone who pictures himself as fairly musically knowledgable and well-versed, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never listened to the Grateful Dead.  Of the 3000+ albums I own, none of them are by the GD. They are the most renowned and beloved band that I've never heard (other than their few radio hit(s?) which I've been told are not very representative).    I've been listening to American Beauty this afternoon since you drafted it and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I guess I labeled them early on as solely a "jam band" which, at that time, I had no interest in hearing. I must say I love some more recent bands that have been given that same label by some (Wilco, MMJ) so I'm not sure why I never gave the Dead a shot.

Is this the best place to start with them? Where to next? Their endless live catalogue seems daunting to me, and live albums generally aren't my favorites, so I'd prefer proper albums like American Beauty. Any suggestions are appreciated.  

As someone who pictures himself as fairly musically knowledgable and well-versed, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never listened to the Grateful Dead.  Of the 3000+ albums I own, none of them are by the GD. They are the most renowned and beloved band that I've never heard (other than their few radio hit(s?) which I've been told are not very representative).    I've been listening to American Beauty this afternoon since you drafted it and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I guess I labeled them early on as solely a "jam band" which, at that time, I had no interest in hearing. I must say I love some more recent bands that have been given that same label by some (Wilco, MMJ) so I'm not sure why I never gave the Dead a shot.

Is this the best place to start with them? Where to next? Their endless live catalogue seems daunting to me, and live albums generally aren't my favorites, so I'd prefer proper albums like American Beauty. Any suggestions are appreciated.  
Blues for Allah

Workingman's Dead

Thanks, man. I think we have similar music tastes; I just happened to hang out with some guys back in '97 who liked the Dead so I have a little bit of knowledge but not much at all. If I hadn't made these friends during that period of my life, I'd never have listened to the album nor the Dead. 

I'm not the best guy to ask, but I'd also say Workingman's Dead. It's also Americana-based rather than jam/jazz fusion, so that might be another good album. It's got some classics like Casey Jones and Uncle John's Band. It was released in the same year as American Beauty, and is generally also considered a classic album. It's really good. 

But there are other people here with eight times the knowledge about the Dead, so I'll leave it to them to recommend things.  

There are some other albums which will most likely be drafted in the singer songwriter category that have a similar feel to Amwrican Beauty. 

Thought about others here since I have 30+ picks until I get to draft again, but this is all for fun, and I might as well kick off my draft with my 2 favorite albums of the 70s:

2.4: THE WHO -  Quadrophenia (Album, 1973)

Thought about others here since I have 30+ picks until I get to draft again, but this is all for fun, and I might as well kick off my draft with my 2 favorite albums of the 70s:

2.4: THE WHO -  Quadrophenia (Album, 1973)
Such a brilliant album. To follow up Who's Next with this-  nearly as good as rock music has ever produced. 

Binky Rd 1 pick:

Never Mind the Bullocks - Here Come the Sex Pistols - Best Punk/Post Punk Album category 

This whole album kicks ###.  Hopelessness, frustration, anger, resentment ...it's all there.  

Perfect for that up and coming teen to early 20s innit?
OK. I know I'm going to go against popular feeling but- 

I've always felt there were much better punk rock albums. This one has 3 VERY GOOD songs- and the rest of it is for me repetitive and mediocre. Does 3 great songs make a great album? Not compared to it's peers. Should it be considered great because it was the first? I've always rejected that way of thinking. 

The Ramones is a much stronger album IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread