What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1970s music draft- Link to google spreadsheet in first post (1 Viewer)

2.06 - Tumbleweed Connection by Elton John, Album 1970

Elton John had what I consider a top 5 all-time run of about eight albums over six years, and I think Tumbleweed Connection is the pick of the litter. Amoreena is best song worthy in this draft.

I'm only a consumer of music and surely many can speak intelligently about it, but I think there was some secret sauce in the production of Elton's music that took it to a level it would have not otherwise reached in the hands of someone who was merely good - much like what George Martin did with the Beatles.

2.06 - Tumbleweed Connection by Elton John, Album 1970

Elton John had what I consider a top 5 all-time run of about eight albums over six years, and I think Tumbleweed Connection is the pick of the litter. Amoreena is best song worthy in this draft.

I'm only a consumer of music and surely many can speak intelligently about it, but I think there was some secret sauce in the production of Elton's music that took it to a level it would have not otherwise reached in the hands of someone who was merely good - much like what George Martin did with the Beatles.

Another one of my all time favs.  Big, big Elton John fan.

OK. I know I'm going to go against popular feeling but- 

I've always felt there were much better punk rock albums. This one has 3 VERY GOOD songs- and the rest of it is for me repetitive and mediocre. Does 3 great songs make a great album? Not compared to it's peers. Should it be considered great because it was the first? I've always rejected that way of thinking. 

The Ramones is a much stronger album IMO. 
Punk in the 70s wasn't about albums

Love both of those Elton albums, but both have some filler. 

Also, should we allow singer songwriter if somebody else wrote the lyrics? Not sure. 

I've always felt there were much better punk rock albums. This one has 3 VERY GOOD songs- and the rest of it is for me repetitive and mediocre. Does 3 great songs make a great album? Not compared to it's peers. Should it be considered great because it was the first? I've always rejected that way of thinking. 

Gasp.  

This line should be on your tombstone.

Not my favorite punk album but I recognize it's importance. I count 7 maybe 8 really strong songs . What are your 3 top songs?

1-Anarchy

2-Pretty Vacant

3-God Save

Not my favorite punk album but I recognize it's importance. I count 7 maybe 8 really strong songs . What are your 3 top songs?

1-Anarchy

2-Pretty Vacant

3-God Save
One of my favorites. I can rank order it. These songs are incredible for a bunch of idjits like the Pistols were.

1) EMI

2) Pretty Vacant

3) God Save The Queen

4) No Feelings

5) Seventeen

6) New York

7) Anarchy 

The whole album rips. Steve Jones and Glen Matlock pulled off a miracle, Rotten sounds great, everything is tight. It's just classic.  

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorites. I can rank order it. These songs are incredible for a bunch of idjits like the Pistols were.

1) EMI

2) Pretty Vacant

3) God Save The Queen

4) No Feelings

5) Seventeen

6) New York

7) Anarchy 

The whole album rips. Steve Jones and Glen Matlock pulled off a miracle, Rotten sounds great, everything is tight. It's just classic.  
my 2 favorites "Bodies" and "Holiday in the Sun" aren't even mentioned here ... shows ya how strong/deep the album is.

it's a remarkable piece of work, just a ridiculously visceral kick to the music industry's nuts

my 2 favorites "Bodies" and "Holiday in the Sun" aren't even mentioned here ... shows ya how strong/deep the album is.

it's a remarkable piece of work, just a ridiculously visceral kick to the music industry's nuts
Oh yeah, "Bodies" and "Holiday In The Sun" are stone classics, too. 

"Submission" and "Liar" are the only tracks I don't particularly care for off of the album.  

Oh yeah, "Bodies" and "Holiday In The Sun" are stone classics, too. 

"Submission" and "Liar" are the only tracks I don't particularly care for off of the album.  
I like Submission mainly because it made fun of McLaren . Love New York because of the mocking Lydon does of the Dolls. 

This is is a fun draft to follow

As someone who pictures himself as fairly musically knowledgable and well-versed, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never listened to the Grateful Dead.  Of the 3000+ albums I own, none of them are by the GD. They are the most renowned and beloved band that I've never heard (other than their few radio hit(s?) which I've been told are not very representative).    I've been listening to American Beauty this afternoon since you drafted it and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I guess I labeled them early on as solely a "jam band" which, at that time, I had no interest in hearing. I must say I love some more recent bands that have been given that same label by some (Wilco, MMJ) so I'm not sure why I never gave the Dead a shot.

Is this the best place to start with them? Where to next? Their endless live catalogue seems daunting to me, and live albums generally aren't my favorites, so I'd prefer proper albums like American Beauty. Any suggestions are appreciated.  
Workingman's Dead

Then ease into some live stuff with One From The Vault and Europe 72.

By the way, for the first page, it's Wire's Pink Flag. The whole album. 

The proof is sort of in the review and the headline and the...

:P

sorry for the delay, wasn't sure who was up ... thanks to the dreaded Marco for the tip  :thumbup:

and I was torn on this comeback pick for me. had a handful I was seriously considering, but finally decided on an album I consider to be a perfect snapshot of a certain group's essence:

2.07: Exile on Main Street -The Rolling Stones (album 1972)

it's their best album because it's them at their best. when I think of what the Stones represent in rock history, this is the album I most reference. 

I also prefer my listening to have a bit of an edge, and this has it in spades: sleazy, grimy, gritty, nasty, cynical, misogynistic, arrogant, ballsy ... the quintessential rock attitude, IMO

it was not their most polished effort, and that's why I dig it so much ... dodgy production, Mick hating the final mix (probably why they hardly performed any of it live). 

but it had a ramshackle charm because of all the flaws in slapping it together . it's a rollicking ride capturing 'the world's greatest rock n' roll band' at their purest.

Exile was going to be my next pick if it was still available- which I doubted. After London Calling, I regard it as the greatest rock album ever. 

My favorite song is a 4 way tie between "Happy", "Loving Cup", "Let It Loose", and "Sweet Black Angel". 

I am probably in a small minority who doesn't think Exile is as good as several other Stones albums.  I agree with OTB, that attitudinally it is the perfect stones record but while I think it is consistently good, it doesn't have the peaks of some better stones discs.  I think a stones double album needs to have more than two songs that ever got any airplay (Happy and Tumbling). 

Just so this doesn't start a huge fight, let's just go ahead and all agree that Emotional Rescue sucks.  That thought should keep us civil.

Love both of those Elton albums, but both have some filler. 
I think every song on Tumbleweed is good. It is my favorite EJ album. There was not one hit song off that album, but I think some of his best work is on it. Two bonus songs were added to the CD later in years (into the old man shoes and madman across the water), but I prefer it without the bonus tracks, especially since it is a concept album based on the old west. 

GYBR is a double album so it has more songs on it, but the majority of songs are very good. I can see why it is some peoples favorite EJ album.

I think every song on Tumbleweed is good. It is my favorite EJ album. There was not one hit song off that album, but I think some of his best work is on it. Two bonus songs were added to the CD later in years (into the old man shoes and madman across the water), but I prefer it without the bonus tracks, especially since it is a concept album based on the old west. 

GYBR is a double album so it has more songs on it, but the majority of songs are very good. I can see why it is some peoples favorite EJ album.
In retrospect I agree with you. 

Into the Old Mans Shoes is actually one of my favorite songs off Tumbleweed. 

I am probably in a small minority who doesn't think Exile is as good as several other Stones albums.  I agree with OTB, that attitudinally it is the perfect stones record but while I think it is consistently good, it doesn't have the peaks of some better stones discs.  I think a stones double album needs to have more than two songs that ever got any airplay (Happy and Tumbling). 

Just so this doesn't start a huge fight, let's just go ahead and all agree that Emotional Rescue sucks.  That thought should keep us civil.
read a blurb from Keef awhile back regarding Exile, where he stated that they were free to do what they wanted during these sessions, out from under Oldham's direction (Jimmy Miller produced Exile) and not feeling the need to approach recording with 'the top 40' in mind. 

the band doing what they actually did best, and not giving a flying #### about the reception - love that aspect of it. 

In retrospect I agree with you. 

Into the Old Mans Shoes is actually one of my favorite songs off Tumbleweed. 
I like Into the Old Mans Shoes and Madman, but I was so use to listening to the album's stories without those songs on it. It was just weird listening to it with the bonus songs added to the remastered cd. Both songs were recorded during the Tumbleweed recording sessions. Madman was rerecorded for the Madman album.

Let It Be is an underrated Beatles Album- if there is such a thing- but I always felt that Let It Be and Magical Mystery Tour didn't get the respect that the other 3 later Beatles albums got (Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road) and the material is every bit as strong. I particularly love "Two of Us" and "I've Got a Feeling." 

rockaction's writeup of American Beauty was charmingly bizarre as always. But I do love that album, mostly for the fine pop melodies. "Friend of the Devil" and "Box of Rain" relax me. 
Only the Beatles could have an album with 3 number one songs and classics such as Across the Universe and Two of Us and it be considered a disappointment.  I love the album despite Phil Spector's heavy hand on some of the tracks (he nearly ruined The Long And Winding Road).   Let It Be... Naked is much superior.

Tumbleweed Connection has always been my favorite Elton John LP.  I think  Old Mans Shoes fits in perfectly with the rest of the album.

I also really like the Madman outtake and if not for the extended jam I might prefer it over the released version.

Exile was going to be my next pick if it was still available- which I doubted. After London Calling, I regard it as the greatest rock album ever. 

My favorite song is a 4 way tie between "Happy", "Loving Cup", "Let It Loose", and "Sweet Black Angel". 
It wouldn't have made it another pick. :rant:

Elton John albums are difficult.  He was producing an amazing amount of music from 1969-1976, averaging almost two discs of tunes per year.  It was almost impossible not to have some filler in among the hits, and that's what happened mostly.  His better albums are the ones in which the non-hits are better.  Caribou and Don't Shoot Me are examples where the filler is bad, making them not very good albums.  Honky Chateau and GYBR have more songs that are good without being hits, making them better albums.  If he had stuck to an album a year instead of nearly two per year, his albums would have been much better. 

And I agree that Tumbleweed is a good album even without any hits (completely contradicting my Exile argument)

2.10 Rocket To Russia - The Ramones (punk album)

By far my weakest category, so I wanted to get this out of the way (Binky swiped the pick I would have taken here). I like this one better than the debut - seems more confident to me.

worrierking said:

I am right with you on Exile.  Love the attitude and energy, but don't love a lot of the songs.  Just doesn't click with me no matter how many times I have tried.

Uruk-Hai said:

By far my weakest category, so I wanted to get this out of the way (Binky swiped the pick I would have taken here). I like this one better than the debut - seems more confident to me.
excellent pick - the second greatest punk album ever  :D

jwb said:
thought this one would last a few more rounds. My favorite Doors album.  
It might have, had Exile fell.  And I almost took a song from later in the decade but I felt the safer bet was that this wouldn't slide but that song would.

I'm basing my draft on a "feel for the 70s" and what bands best represent that feel.  While S&G and The Doors didn't last long into the 70s, IMO they are among the best representatives of the decade, at least of their genres.

Uruk-Hai said:

By far my weakest category ...
Same here. I've been thinking a bit about whether or not to address this category early or not. Truthfully -- seminal punk had always been pretty much off my radar growing up. I'd heard songs here and there, but never latched on to any punk bands as personal favorites. Punk always felt like someone else's music.

Thankfully, Tim made it a "punk or post-punk" category. With post-punk, I have a few ins.

Users who are viewing this thread