What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Couch to 5k... and betting on it (1 Viewer)

lombardi

Footballguy
I mentioned it over in the "...love/hate your life" thread but I'm getting to my mid 40's and my health is the only thing in my life I'm not happy about.  Been thinking about it a lot and I really want to be a runner.  I did a 5k years ago and really enjoyed it, I love the whole running atmosphere.  I would love to be in good enough shape to do a mudrun or some of the other fun runs.  The problem is I'm 6'2" and north of 300 so I'm going to have to take it slow.   Starting running is going to feel like it's killing me, I have no idea how long I have to run until I start enjoying it.

Wife and I are starting couch to 5k on Monday morning.  I've read a ton of beginner running sites and every single one of them says the same thing, get good shoes.  After googleing "fat guys running" I decided to get some Hokas for both of us (she is not big like me but has a touch of osteo in her knees).  So Monday we're going to start and I'm planning on having to repeat some weeks and not finishing in the 9 prescribed weeks.

Also trying to decide what to do about diet. I've had great short term success w/ atkins/keto type diets but I just can't sustain it and the weight always comes back.  I really just want to eat healthier. I'm still reading and deciding what to do.  10 experts scream it's all calories in/calories out, 10 scream it's what you're eating and not how much.  It's hard to know who to believe.  I  Lost a ton of weight a decade ago and kept it off for a couple years with BFL but I don't think I could make it to the gym that much and eat 6X a day.  I want something realistic I can stick to (like running 3X a week).  Life is a lot busier now although I sure did like the free day.  I think that's why I was able to stick with it for so long, I always knew I could just wait until Sat or Sunday to eat some bread or a dessert.   Maybe I'll just do MyFitness pal.  Not sure yet which, but whatever it is, it starts on Monday.

So has anyone ever tried HealthyWage ?   I'm going to add some incentive.
I can bet on myself to lose weight.   For instance, if I bet $200/mo for 6 months that I lose 60lbs, I win back $960, basically 80% ROI.  If I don't I lose the weight, I lose it all.

75lbs in 8 months, 75%
100lbs in 1 year,  133% @ $100mo
It's weird if you bet more percentage goes down, they're trying to minimize their risk.  100lb/12mo is 66.67% @$200mo and 26% @ $500/mo

I'm Going to play around with the site to maximize my odds but I'm thinking one short term bet and one long term bet around $100/mo each.  There is another app too called DietBet.  Betting on myself to lose weight is probably a bad bet but it's a great motivation. 

So anyone used one of these sites?  Any advice on starting out running as a big guy (besides good shoes and taking it slow)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Be a walker first. Then build on that.
couch to 5k seems like I'm almost a walker with a few short bursts thrown in at first.  The plan is to not move to the next week until I can do the week I'm in without it feeling like it's killing me.  Our mantra for this move towards health is slow but with absolute consistency. 

couch to 5k seems like I'm almost a walker with a few short bursts thrown in at first.  The plan is to not move to the next week until I can do the week I'm in without it feeling like it's killing me.  Our mantra for this move towards health is slow but with absolute consistency. 
That seems healthy. One particular tiny guy in his 30's would say, "Man up, why can't you be a robot like me?"

So pick which answer you like better.

I've posted this before and thought it seemed appropiate to share again.  I loved the Couch-to-5K program:

In the past year, I went from 275 to 220. I'm also 5'11". I am currently 37 and graduated at 195 lbs. My story was almost exactly like yours. Here's what I did:

I started a Couch-to-5K program. There's a ton of Couch-to-5K apps out there. I tried some free ones, but found that the one from Active.com ($0.99) tracked my progress the best.

I cut out in-between meal snacking. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and that's it.

I made sure that I ate breakfast (usually oatmeal). I didn't eat breakfast before, and was always starving at lunch. Eating breakfast helped me not eat as much at lunch.

I also took more leftovers at lunch, instead of eating out.

I used to have a pudding every day after lunch. I got a back of Hershey's miniatures and ate one of those to cure my sweet tooth, instead.

Cut out soda and drank a lot of water.

At dinner, we ate a lot of grilled chicken marinated in low-calorie sauces. Teriyaki sauce, BBQ sauce, Chipotle sauce (however you spell it). Also, we were eating a lot of those pre-packaged noodles. We started eating vegetables, salads, and whole wheat pasta as sides.

Also did some portion control at dinner. Cut chicken breasts in half length-wise.

On the weekends, all bets were off on foods, but I still stuck to the no snack/no soda rule.

The first two weeks or so sucked. It felt like I was always just a little bit hungry, but my body adjusted and got used to it pretty quickly. It seems like a lot when I type it out, but it really wasn't once I got started. It was a slow loss (took about 5 months), but I've never believed in those fad diets and didn't want to lose the weight that way.

Good luck!

Consistency is key but in order to maintain the consistency it begins with your priorities - is losing weight/getting healthy more important to you than your enjoyment of food?  If you can say yes to that question every day then you will be able to be consistent.

If I'm going to be completely honest I'll have to say most of the time but not all of the time.  I have a hard time thinking "well, no ice cream ever again or for the next 6 months".  But it's super easy for me to say "well, no ice cream except on Sunday".  I'm positive I could stick with something, almost anything, 6 days a week if I know i have a day when I can eat those one or two things I'm really craving.  I've done that well before, for a long time, without any trouble.   And they weren't stuff my gob with every thing I can get my hands on free days. They were basically eat the few things I've been craving this week free days.  I think whatever I do I've got to build in a release valve once a week.

I've been thinking of a basic no sugar/wheat/rice/pasta type thing, no simple carbs basically.  Lots of salads for lunch, eggs or oatmeal for breakfast, and veggie-heavy plus lean meat type dinners.   Not a keto diet, but something along the paleo or LCHF lines.  Cut all soda and tea, stick to water only.   1 free day a week while staying off soda even on that day, maybe just a glass of juice or something in the morning on free day.

Ended up getting a pair of these for each of us.  My wife's got here and they fit great.  Mine should arrive tomorrow... http://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-road/bondi-4/1007863.html

Here are some articles/threads discussing them.  There were other choices also but these seemed to the most "cushiony".  

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2013/11/best-running-shoes-for-heavy-runners/

http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/shoes-for-a-250lb-guy

http://runhard.net/7-top-best-running-shoes-for-heavy-runners/

So has anyone ever tried HealthyWage ?   I'm going to add some incentive.
I can bet on myself to lose weight.   For instance, if I bet $200/mo for 6 months that I lose 60lbs, I win back $960, basically 80% ROI.  If I don't I lose the weight, I lose it all.

75lbs in 8 months, 75%
100lbs in 1 year,  133% @ $100mo
It's weird if you bet more percentage goes down, they're trying to minimize their risk.  100lb/12mo is 66.67% @$200mo and 26% @ $500/mo

I'm Going to play around with the site to maximize my odds but I'm thinking one short term bet and one long term bet around $100/mo each.  There is another app too called DietBet.  Betting on myself to lose weight is probably a bad bet but it's a great motivation. 

So anyone used one of these sites?  Any advice on starting out running as a big guy (besides good shoes and taking it slow)?
Never tried this, but would be interested. I still have about 50ish lbs. to go, and would love to put some monetary incentive into making sure I stay motivated. How do you verify your weight loss to collect? That seems like the PITA part.

Also, definitely try the couch to 5k app. Have had it recommended to me by several people who are doing 10k and half and full marathons, now. I am going to start it once I get down to a weight where I wont trash my knees. They are already pretty jacked from running long distance when I was younger. GL, Lombardi! and go potatoe. 

Never tried this, but would be interested. I still have about 50ish lbs. to go, and would love to put some monetary incentive into making sure I stay motivated. How do you verify your weight loss to collect? That seems like the PITA part.

Also, definitely try the couch to 5k app. Have had it recommended to me by several people who are doing 10k and half and full marathons, now. I am going to start it once I get down to a weight where I wont trash my knees. They are already pretty jacked from running long distance when I was younger. GL, Lombardi! and go potatoe. 
Dude your avatar is no bueno.

doing  :scared:  > 5K app now...I've had a love/hate relationship with running. Started about 2 years ago, but then jammed up my knees and stopped all together. Was nice and trim while running, now (with less gym time) I'm back at my old weights. My asthma holds me back too..so just jumping back in was a no-go...had to start slow. 

As for diet..I think you are on the right track, GL. My best advice is water..lots of water. Get an infuser and put some lemon or other fruit in it to add flavor. And cut out the sugar...like completely. Processed sugar is our biggest enemy. 

GL man..keep us posted.

Couch to 5k is great. People get in a hurry to increase distance, which leads to injury. Great program for beginners. Good luck!

the 10k thread around here is a fantastic resource for knowledge, tips and encouragement. yet to iMeet someone in that thread that wasn't a grade A, FFAer.

i've got my personal C25K story buried in that thread. suffice it to say i'm a program pimp. got me started and now almost 10 years later i couldn't live without running.

for me, running made me want to change my diet so that i could run more. couldn't well run after work if i stuffed my face at lunch.  didn't want to stuff my face at dinner after a nice run. wanted to get better sleep at night so i could be ready for saturday morning runs & morning races.. to do that had to cut out beer.  needed to be hydrated so i'd have energy and stop cramping... cut out soda and replaced it with water.

to improve my running i inadvertently started losing weight 

instead of saying "no X ever again" or "no X for 6 months then i can go back to it" i said "just don't eat a pint of ice cream. it's too much anyways." but if i want ice cream, i'm eating ice cream.  your body's cravings will start to change over time. as with any new habit it takes time to become a routine, then it's like it always was and you don't know any different.

gllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

mr. furley said:
the 10k thread around here is a fantastic resource for knowledge, tips and encouragement. yet to iMeet someone in that thread that wasn't a grade A, FFAer.

i've got my personal C25K story buried in that thread. suffice it to say i'm a program pimp. got me started and now almost 10 years later i couldn't live without running.

for me, running made me want to change my diet so that i could run more. couldn't well run after work if i stuffed my face at lunch.  didn't want to stuff my face at dinner after a nice run. wanted to get better sleep at night so i could be ready for saturday morning runs & morning races.. to do that had to cut out beer.  needed to be hydrated so i'd have energy and stop cramping... cut out soda and replaced it with water.

to improve my running i inadvertently started losing weight 

instead of saying "no X ever again" or "no X for 6 months then i can go back to it" i said "just don't eat a pint of ice cream. it's too much anyways." but if i want ice cream, i'm eating ice cream.  your body's cravings will start to change over time. as with any new habit it takes time to become a routine, then it's like it always was and you don't know any different.

gllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Good post here... 

Be cautious if you're not ready to run yet.. C25K doesn't advance too quickly, until it does. Around week 5 you'll start covering some pretty significant distances (for a non-runner) and it will be easy to get discouraged if your cardio health isn't up to snuff yet. If you need to re-do a week, don't be afraid to do so. 

HOnestly, I see some red flags already (don't want to start today, I'll start monday..... can't give up ice cream, so I need cheat days, etc). Not that any of those guarantee failure, but they're generally the mindset of someone who's not fully committed to making the long term lifestyle change necessary to lose the kind of weight you're trying to lose, and to become a successful runner. 

What Furley said above is true, though. I started with C25K and went through it a few times. Running never stuck until recently and now I flat out love it. If I cant get out a couple/few times a week I get anxious. I have started making small lifestyle adjustments to cater to running, like he described. There's really not much quite like going out and peeling off miles on a nice morning or after work. C25k is a GREAT way to ease into that... but just be sure to pace yourself and be sure you're comitted. If you're sneaking stuff or not being honest, you're kinda wasting your time.

Stay focused, take it seriously, and good luck. 

I was going to suggest the 10k thread as well. I just started running again last fall after sitting on my ### for the better part of ten years. Been able to stick with it in part because that group is so encouraging. Definitely sign up on strava as well, join the FBG group and record your runs on there. There are some serious speedsters in the group, but plenty of folks that are just average joes as well.

One other thing that has worked for me on running. Go sign up for a race. I don't mean to bite off more than you can chew, but sign up for something that you could achieve if you stick with. Could be a 5K three months for now. Then tell all of your friends and family that you're going to do it. No way you'll bail if you let others know that you're going to do it.

I agree on the red flags.  Some of it is practical.  I have 3 kids and a ridiculously busy life.  I'm committed to making this work and my wife and I are changing our schedules (my work schedule) so we can run together in the mornings after dropping the kids off at school.  I was just going to go walk yesterday and today but it's been pouring rain. I plan on running in the rain if I have to but honestly I don't want my wife's first experience with running to be in the pouring rain.  It's going to be beautiful on Monday and I want us to start off on the right foot.  Beautiful morning, outside together, nice new shoes, the whole deal.

The ice cream thing I would have to agree as a red flag.  However, I really want to be realistic.  I've done the militant no compromise thing before and I'm usually an all or nothing person.  It works in many areas of my life but for some reason it doesn't with diet.  I'm trying something new.  I'm trying to be reasonable and not set myself up for failure.  I'm going to make rules I believe I can follow and fully commit to them.  Just being honest and trying to honestly assess myself at this point in my life.  

As for a race I want to sign up for something as incentive but I'm not sure how far out I should go.  I don't want to push myself to finish in the 9 weeks and hurt myself.  I'm really out of shape so I want to go at a pace that's not going to injure me.  I'm not sure what that is.  I was thinking of maybe signing up for something at the end of August.  I figure 3 months might be a good time frame.  I have some friends coming out the last week of July and there is a 5k in Asheville July 30th but I'm afraid that's too aggresive.  It's only 10 weeks I think.  I'm not sure, but I'm going to definitely sign up for something next week.

Sounds like you've got a pretty good mindset. Expect to finish a little behind schedule on C25k because of your poor starting health as well as general "life" stuff that will get in the way of you being able to run 3x a week. 

Setting the race doesn't mean you have to run the full 3.2mi. Nothing wrong with run 1mi, walk 1/4mi, etc.... or running till you can't anymore, then walking to finish. Try to find a fun social race in mid september and book it. 

My birthday is first week of October.  Maybe I'll see if there is a race on that day, run it with my kids (who can probalby just stand up off the couch and run 3 miles).

There ya go. 

This is a fun 4 mile race I make a point to run every year. Lots of people walking it. Neighborhood gets behind it with tons of yard parties, people lining the street cheering you on, handing out snacks, drinks, fireball, glow sticks, you name it. Huge after party with music, food, bands, etc.

I ran in these last year and had ####loads of little kids yelling "can I get a high five mr shiny pants?!" and stuff like that. It's a blast. 

All in all it's a really fun experience that I look forward to. Those social type races are a nice non-intimidating way to get into the scene. No matter how bad off you are, there will be someone slower than you. 

There are some serious speedsters in the group, but plenty of folks that are just average joes as well.
that's what's awesome about it

when i first started posting as a total beginner running a glacial pace nobody mocked, nobody said "you're slow.. feel ashamed".  it was all encouragement.  which is kind of the really cool part of the running community that i didn't know about going in.  sure, people compare pace and are competitive, etc. but most everyone just wants everyone else to do well.  it's awesome.

lombardi said:
C25K is how I started as well, great program.  And agree - stick to the plan until you can't.  If a workout or week is a struggle, repeat until you can do it then move forward.  I think that added a couple of weeks for me, but it's the best way to do it imho.

"that 100 miler is doable with a few months training"
:thumbup:   Ok, maybe a little longer than a few months - I think it was about 2 1/2 years to my first ultra and then another 5 years before I did a 100M.  

@lombardi, just come on over to the 10K thread and we'll help you out as best we can.  And as others have said, there are a wide variety of runners posting in there of different speeds, backgrounds, and goals.

And as a bigger runner myself, Hokas are the way to go!  I've run in them for a good 5 years now, since the early days when they felt like pillows strapped to the bottom of running shoes.  They've improved a ton since then, with a wide variety of models for different types of runners and terrain.

My birthday is first week of October.  Maybe I'll see if there is a race on that day, run it with my kids (who can probalby just stand up off the couch and run 3 miles).
mine is early in the 2nd week of October.  where are you.  maybe i'll pull an @tri-man 47 and run your first ever 5k with you :thumbup:

so i don't post 4 times in a row :unsure:  be prepared to find out that running for one solid minute is harder than you might imagine. run slow enough to finish. don't run faster than your wife. try not to "encourage" her if she's struggling.. it will come off as condescending.. or so i've heard :unsure:

run slow enough to finish. 
This was big for me initially... finding a pace where I could reach the distance I was going for. If I start out too fast I find myself in an aerobic hole that is tough to dig out of. Heart Rate monitors are GREAT at keeping an eye on that kinda thing to avoid bonking too badly. Generally speaking your pace you can hold is going to be a good bit slower than you think it should be... at least initially. You may not even feel like you're really even "running". That's okay. 

Just jumped on strava. Interesting app. like that it works with my wahoo tikr X

there's a taller, heavier dude that runs by my office just about every day.  i see him all the time on my way home. been out there for a couple years now.

when i first noticed him he was a speed walker. but not a fast one. thought that was his gig. he was just a guy that got his exercise by walking in workout clothes.

over time i noticed that he seemed to be moving faster.. and faster.. and then finally both his feet weren't on the ground at the same time.. just barely but he was starting to break in to a bit of a run.

then came spring last year, dude was out there wearing t-shirts and shorts and looking like he lost some weight. out there regularly.. picking up the pace. slimming down.

saw him last week and he's full on running. slowly but it's definitely running and i'd bet he has lost 75 lbs (totally guessing but he has slimmed down a lot) since i first noticed him out there.

all the time i want to say something to him, hi-five the dude or something.. he's come a long way. feels a bit like i'm watching a long term documentary or something when i see him going by. he probably has no idea i'm rooting for him :thumbup:

there's a taller, heavier dude that runs by my office just about every day.  i see him all the time on my way home. been out there for a couple years now.

when i first noticed him he was a speed walker. but not a fast one. thought that was his gig. he was just a guy that got his exercise by walking in workout clothes.

over time i noticed that he seemed to be moving faster.. and faster.. and then finally both his feet weren't on the ground at the same time.. just barely but he was starting to break in to a bit of a run.

then came spring last year, dude was out there wearing t-shirts and shorts and looking like he lost some weight. out there regularly.. picking up the pace. slimming down.

saw him last week and he's full on running. slowly but it's definitely running and i'd bet he has lost 75 lbs (totally guessing but he has slimmed down a lot) since i first noticed him out there.

all the time i want to say something to him, hi-five the dude or something.. he's come a long way. feels a bit like i'm watching a long term documentary or something when i see him going by. he probably has no idea i'm rooting for him :thumbup:
Rules.

I bet he'd dig it if you gave him props

The first thing Lombardi needs to do is buy a heart monitor. 
:lmao:  who's alias is this?

GL Lombardi and congrats on taking the first step!  You've gotten more than enough advice here to get you rolling. When you're ready, mosey on over to the 10K thread. It's the most supportive group you could ever ask for.  

I agree on the red flags.  Some of it is practical.  I have 3 kids and a ridiculously busy life.  I'm committed to making this work and my wife and I are changing our schedules (my work schedule) so we can run together in the mornings after dropping the kids off at school.  
@lombardi, when I got back into serious running over 25 years ago, one of my primary goals was to be running well when the kids were old enough to appreciate what dad was doing.  My son and daughter are now both grown, and it has played out well.  For a number of years, I focused on triathlons, and my daughter always loved coming along with her "don't bonk, daddio" sign and watching the three-ring circus of that event.  More recently, as I dived into marathoning (now that I had free time), they have taken great pride in noting their old man's successes on their FB pages.  It's been a joy, through the years, to share all of this with the family ...and to be very fit and healthy.  Hopefully you'll experience that as well.

And do stop by the 10K thread.  I've met 15-20 of the guys (and some of their families) through the years and consider them good friends.  Fundamentally, it's just so satisfying to see, for example, the progression from @mr. furley's lumbering first 5K many years ago to his excellent fitness now, or more recently, the life changing benefits for @ClownCausedChaos2 as described above.

@lombardi, when I got back into serious running over 25 years ago, one of my primary goals was to be running well when the kids were old enough to appreciate what dad was doing.  My son and daughter are now both grown, and it has played out well.  For a number of years, I focused on triathlons, and my daughter always loved coming along with her "don't bonk, daddio" sign and watching the three-ring circus of that event.  More recently, as I dived into marathoning (now that I had free time), they have taken great pride in noting their old man's successes on their FB pages.  It's been a joy, through the years, to share all of this with the family ...and to be very fit and healthy.  Hopefully you'll experience that as well.

And do stop by the 10K thread.  I've met 15-20 of the guys (and some of their families) through the years and consider them good friends.  Fundamentally, it's just so satisfying to see, for example, the progression from @mr. furley's lumbering first 5K many years ago to his excellent fitness now, or more recently, the life changing benefits for @ClownCausedChaos2 as described above.
:thumbup:    :wub:  

Kids were the main reason I decided to lose weight and get into shape back in 2010.  You'll be setting a great example for them all while getting yourself nice and fit so you can do whatever activities you want with them without worrying about having a heart attack.

"lumbering" is putting it kindly. i looked like a refrigerator falling down the stairs.

:thumbup:    :wub:  

Kids were the main reason I decided to lose weight and get into shape back in 2010.  You'll be setting a great example for them all while getting yourself nice and fit so you can do whatever activities you want with them without worrying about having a heart attack.
This is exactly it.

And as a bigger runner myself, Hokas are the way to go!  I've run in them for a good 5 years now, since the early days when they felt like pillows strapped to the bottom of running shoes.  They've improved a ton since then, with a wide variety of models for different types of runners and terrain.
Shoes came today.  You mean they used to feel MORE like pillows than this?  Like I'm walking on clouds, crazy.

mine is early in the 2nd week of October.  where are you.  maybe i'll pull an @tri-man 47 and run your first ever 5k with you :thumbup:

so i don't post 4 times in a row :unsure:  be prepared to find out that running for one solid minute is harder than you might imagine. run slow enough to finish. don't run faster than your wife. try not to "encourage" her if she's struggling.. it will come off as condescending.. or so i've heard :unsure:
I live about 25m south of Asheville, NC in Flat Rock.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a minute of running is not going to be easy for me at first.  Oh, and after 20 yrs of marriage I know better than to "encourage", I'll just wait for her.

:lmao:  who's alias is this?

GL Lombardi and congrats on taking the first step!  You've gotten more than enough advice here to get you rolling. When you're ready, mosey on over to the 10K thread. It's the most supportive group you could ever ask for.  
Thanks!  I'll definitely check out the 10k thread and post in there.

Very encouraging.  A lot of this is motivated by my kids/my family.  Hoping for a similar success story.

Users who are viewing this thread