What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Couch to 5k... and betting on it (1 Viewer)

Which model did you get?
My wife and I both got Bondi's.  I was going to get wide but they were just a little too big.  It's funny, I never realized how much bigger my right foot was than my left foot.  Right foot is a little snug but I think they'll stretch a little and I'll probably drop some weight right off the bat, usually get a quick drop when I start something like this in first week or two. 

It's amazing how they feel.  I feel very high up and it really is like pillows on my feet.  A bit of a weird sensation.  

So?????  Did you start?

Depending on how the rest of the work day goes I may start up tonight also.  Maybe.....

great update...many people (myself included) giveup on even one of those roadblocks.

you mention the shoes being good on your knees. That is my biggest problem, my knees. They are really aggravating me. I need to see someone about them, but any help in the runnig gear would be appreciated. Any pros with tips for saving the knees....be it shoes or otherwise. I was using On Cloudrunners, but gave up on them.

great update...many people (myself included) giveup on even one of those roadblocks.

you mention the shoes being good on your knees. That is my biggest problem, my knees. They are really aggravating me. I need to see someone about them, but any help in the runnig gear would be appreciated. Any pros with tips for saving the knees....be it shoes or otherwise. I was using On Cloudrunners, but gave up on them.
how old are the shoes? have the knees always bothered you? only since running?

how's your footfall? when you run is it loud.. meaning can you hear yourself thudding along? are you landing on your heels or more mid-fore foot?

@mr. furley Shoes don't have many miles on them ...bought 2 summers ago, but dint run all of last summer b/c of the knees. 

My knees have never been good, 42 yrs old, lots of sports growing up, still play ice hockey as a goalie, so they get beat up pretty good. But the most lingering issue cam right after I started running...pain in the front kneecap area, feels like I don't have any power in it and that it will give out on me. 

not sure how to gauge my footfall....but yes, I would say I'm a pretty hard runner, prob landing too much on the heels...I try to run more forward on my feet, but eventually go back to my normal stride. Also, in my are are pretty steep hills, so I'm often not dealing with flat areas. 

@mr. furley Shoes don't have many miles on them ...bought 2 summers ago, but dint run all of last summer b/c of the knees. 

My knees have never been good, 42 yrs old, lots of sports growing up, still play ice hockey as a goalie, so they get beat up pretty good. But the most lingering issue cam right after I started running...pain in the front kneecap area, feels like I don't have any power in it and that it will give out on me. 

not sure how to gauge my footfall....but yes, I would say I'm a pretty hard runner, prob landing too much on the heels...I try to run more forward on my feet, but eventually go back to my normal stride. Also, in my are are pretty steep hills, so I'm often not dealing with flat areas. 
more experienced guys can chime in with better advice than i may have but all that info is helpful.  i'd start by looking at the tread on the bottom of those shoes. you may not think they're that old or worn out but they may be flatter than you think.  mine last about 5-6 months clocking 20'ish miles a week and that's probably pushing it as i definitely notice the difference when strapping on a new pair.

i will say, when i first started i was a heavy heel striker and it caused me lots of knee soreness. switched to mid-fore foot strike and haven't had any soreness at all since. that said, never had knee problems prior to running... and most of my routes are essentially flat.

i'm 40 now and losing weight helped the general soreness a lot as well

Develop the habit of walking/run bursts every day, preferably at the same time of day.  Start with something reasonable like a mile (or even just ten minutes at your beginning pace).  Don't overdue it even if you're feeling great because you'll tear down instead of building up muscle.  Your body will begin to look forward to it - once your body begins to grave the activity and gets rewarded by you doing it, endorphins will come over you like a shower party at my place.  Welcome to a great addiction.   Good luck  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you measured your cadence/turnover? You want about 180 steps per minute. if you're well below that I believe that means you're overstriding and likely landing a lot harder than you need to be. Ideally you want a quick smooth flowing stride. At first it felt a bit unnatural and not like "Running" to me, but enjoy it after I got used to it. 

Disclaimer: Not an expert, just parroting what I've learned. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread