What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###? (1 Viewer)

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###?

• No way, wouldn't even be close. She would be on life support rather quickly.

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No. She would last a bit with me, get in a few good punches but she would lose.

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • It would be close. Probably a lot of grappling and it would go to a judges decision.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yes, she would beat me but I would give her a pretty good fight for a couple RD before I submit to s

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

Votes: 382 82.2%

• Total voters
Can't Badass Rhonda eat a bowl of pasta and gain 5lbs to fight her?

Seems like she's ducking her and UFC is afraid of killing its golden goose

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't Badass Rhonda eat a bowl of pasta and gain 5lbs to fight her?

Seems like she's ducking her and UFC is afraid of killing its golden goose
I don't think UFC has a female weight class higher than bantamweight. Also, Dana did say there are no plans to add any others.

She could not beat JJ watt. There is no way she would be able to isolate his arm. He could always stand up at any moment. I realize i am 5 pages behind. That just seemed odd to think she could beat a dude that massive, fast, and strong.
In these threads all tangible physical advantages become disadvantages.

Small + weak + female + training > Big + strong + fast + male.
no one says being big, strong, and fast is a disadvantage.

What it comes down to is this: skill can trump size and strength. That's the premises that jiu-jitsu was founded on, and was clearly demonstrated in the early days of the UFC.

Obviously there are limits, but skill can take you a hell of a lot further than you think.

Last week, I was rolling with a guy who outweighs me by about 100 lbs, is maybe 8-9 inches taller, and is probably 10 years younger. Not an ounce of fat on him either. This dude was a college football player, and now is a middle school wrestling coach so he has some background in wrestling. Real good athlete, strong as an ox. That being said, he is new to jiu jitsu. I had a hell of a time dealing with him - he even got full mount. scrambling out of a full mount when your opponent is basically sitting on you is no fun, especially when he's got 100 lbs on you. I managed to wiggle out, get back to my feet, pop his head down and slap on a guillotine. He was tapping within 5 seconds .Now, it won' take very long before he is skilled enough that I won't be able to do that, but for right now, my 5+ years of experience trumps his 100 lbs of size and strength.
Why do some people have a hard time understanding this? Brute strength is not > all. Take the average FBG who's really weight room strong. Does he have any idea how to punch effectively? How about defense against punches and kicks? Say he gets RR in a bear hug, what then? She knows counters for any caveman moves we could apply. Our only chance would be catching her clean on the chin with a lucky punch. Now make us young, with several years of MMA training and I'd change my opinion.

She could not beat JJ watt. There is no way she would be able to isolate his arm. He could always stand up at any moment. I realize i am 5 pages behind. That just seemed odd to think she could beat a dude that massive, fast, and strong.

no one says being big, strong, and fast is a disadvantage.What it comes down to is this: skill can trump size and strength. That's the premises that jiu-jitsu was founded on, and was clearly demonstrated in the early days of the UFC.

Obviously there are limits, but skill can take you a hell of a lot further than you think.

Last week, I was rolling with a guy who outweighs me by about 100 lbs, is maybe 8-9 inches taller, and is probably 10 years younger. Not an ounce of fat on him either. This dude was a college football player, and now is a middle school wrestling coach so he has some background in wrestling. Real good athlete, strong as an ox. That being said, he is new to jiu jitsu. I had a hell of a time dealing with him - he even got full mount. scrambling out of a full mount when your opponent is basically sitting on you is no fun, especially when he's got 100 lbs on you. I managed to wiggle out, get back to my feet, pop his head down and slap on a guillotine. He was tapping within 5 seconds .Now, it won' take very long before he is skilled enough that I won't be able to do that, but for right now, my 5+ years of experience trumps his 100 lbs of size and strength.
Why do some people have a hard time understanding this? Brute strength is not > all. Take the average FBG who's really weight room strong. Does he have any idea how to punch effectively? How about defense against punches and kicks? Say he gets RR in a bear hug, what then? She knows counters for any caveman moves we could apply. Our only chance would be catching her clean on the chin with a lucky punch. Now make us young, with several years of MMA training and I'd change my opinion.
I understand it perfectly and I read that he had a difficult time squirting out of a 100+ lb weight difference. Now take that 320 lb. professional sitting on her 135 lb body. What could she do with that? There is no move that slides her out and lifts that bulk off of her frame.

I'm comfortable in saying she'd kick my teeth in, perhaps literally. There are worse ways to spend a few minutes.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
chet said:
She'd beat a lot of the male MMA fighters in her weight class.
Not if they're worth a damn.
I've heard plenty of smart people say that she'd be very competitive--maybe not with the top 10 but 11+.
Name one
Joe Rogan said she'd beat 50% of bantamweight males.
Cite
It's all over the web. Here's one.

Joe Rogan thinks Ronda Rousey could beat '50 percent' of the UFC male bantamweight roster
So the top 1% female can beat the crappiest 50% of males of the same weight? Given her judo and submission, I could see that and really it isn't much to say.
Not really top 1%. There's only one woman in the world that that statement applies to so try top 0.000000001%. And the crappiest 50% of bantamweight UFC fighters still kill 99.99+% of anyone they fight.
How do the bottoms 50% beat 99% of anyone they fight? They'd all have impeccable records and therefore not be the bottom 50% in their weight class.

What it comes down to is this: skill can trump size and strength. That's the premises that jiu-jitsu was founded on, and was clearly demonstrated in the early days of the UFC.

I do understand and do not discount the advantages her skills bring.

In my opinion there is a point where size and strength along with having some clue how to handle yourself will trump her skills.

My post is a reaction to these posts that flat out discount real advantages men would have over her.

Don't doubt this for a second.. I am imagining the fight would look different to you if you weren't just rolling, correct?

If you were standing, not limited to jiu jitsu, I'm betting you have a much harder time.. maybe even you don't win that fight, right?

Not really top 1%. There's only one woman in the world that that statement applies to so try top 0.000000001%. And the crappiest 50% of bantamweight UFC fighters still kill 99.99+% of anyone they fight.
How do the bottoms 50% beat 99% of anyone they fight? They'd all have impeccable records and therefore not be the bottom 50% in their weight class.
Anyone

The 0.01% that they lose is to a better MMA fighter. The 99.99% that they win is against anyone else in the world.

James Daulton said:
I'd wager there's not a single FBG who could last a round with her.
I'd take that bet. There's not only someone here who could last a round, there's someone here who could beat her. I have no clue who it is. But I don't believe for a second we don't have someone who could beat the #### out of her.
LarryBoy?

Rewatched her last fight. Anybody who not only thinks she wouldn't be killed by Floyd in less than 7 seconds, but somehow beat him, is pretty susceptible to marketing ploys.

She's beating mismatched women. The talent pool for ladies is tiny compared to men, so a good talent (for a female) will look like a warrior in comparison to the field.

Dana White is smart and everyone is biting really hard. Of course he wants you to think RR could take on a UFC male.

Rewatched her last fight. Anybody who not only thinks she wouldn't be killed Floyd in less than 7 seconds, but somehow beat him, is pretty susceptible to marketing ploys.

She's beating mismatched women. The talent pool for ladies is tiny compared to men, so a good talent (for a female) will look like a warrior in comparison to the field.

Dana White is smart and everyone is biting really hard. Of course he wants you to think RR could take on a UFC male.
You think FM would kill RR in an MMA fight in 7 seconds? Child, please.

Anyone

The 0.01% that they lose is to a better MMA fighter. The 99.99% that they win is against anyone else in the world.
Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I.

I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.

I do understand and do not discount the advantages her skills bring.

In my opinion there is a point where size and strength along with having some clue how to handle yourself will trump her skills.

My post is a reaction to these posts that flat out discount real advantages men would have over her.
The question was would RR kick your ###, which we expanded to FBGs. Not JJ Watt or some other giant, athletic male. Of course that would make a huge difference.

Rewatched her last fight. Anybody who not only thinks she wouldn't be killed Floyd in less than 7 seconds, but somehow beat him, is pretty susceptible to marketing ploys.

:lmao:

She tries to take him down, he connects with the kill shot while playing defense, she tries to spar with him :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anyone

Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I. I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.
Not a stretch to say the number one women's basketball player in the world could play in the NBA and would prob be better than half the field?

She tries to take him down, he connects with the kill shot while playing defense, she tries to spar with him :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Who does FM lose to in MMA?

Don't doubt this for a second.. I am imagining the fight would look different to you if you weren't just rolling, correct?

If you were standing, not limited to jiu jitsu, I'm betting you have a much harder time.. maybe even you don't win that fight, right?
it's hard to say. I'm not a gifted athlete - I have success by being smart and playing to my advantages. I'm not gonna stand and bang with someone much bigger than me. I also know that, being a short, small guy, I'm much closer to the ground and can move faster. Also, i'm a southpaw, which means I lead my right leg (and my orthodox opponents typically lead their left leg) When I spar with big guys, low singles are there all damn day. I can get lower and faster to get in and take a foot, elevate, and drop them on their back. All I need to be concerned about is a knee coming up.

Here's the thing guys - when you say that someone off of the street could come into the gym and beat an experienced fighter, just because they are bigger, that's frankly an insult to the fighter. What the hell is the point of all of the hard work they have put in, all of the sacrifices, all of the blood, sweat and tears, if all it takes to be good is to be big? also, when you guys minimize the impact of skill and training, you are trying to reduce the whole sport into a match of brute physicality. That's not what it is at all. There is a tremendous amount of skill involved - skill that literally takes years to develop.

A MMA fight is much more of a chess match than two guys seeing who is more physical. You don't win a chess match by simply being big.

Anyone

Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I.I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.
Not a stretch to say the number one women's basketball player in the world could play in the NBA and would prob be better than half the field?
We are talking about 1 person in the world: RR. Not anyone else. HTH

Also, I've been pretty consistent that RR would not beat Mayweather. FM may not be he brightest bulb in the tree, but he knows how to box. He knows to keep RR out of grappling range, how to circle away, how to keep her at distance with the jab, and he has the speed, accuracy, and power to exploit any holes. It wouldn't be close.

Anyone

Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I.I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.
Thanks for the help, let me help as well as apparently you are missing the connection here. You're pretty smart, so this shouldn't be that hard.

Women have been playing basketball for a lot longer than they have been fighting, so the "talent pool" should be much larger, right? In a sport like basketball (which isn't even close to the physicality of fighting), the best in the world wouldn't be competitive in the NCAA, yet alone the NBA.

Why would it be different in MMA?

I'll hang up and listen.

Anyone

Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I. I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.
the nba doesn't have height/weight classes. Look, RR doesn't really impress me, but I respect her knowledge and experience and would be willing to gamble that the 50% bottom tier of ufc men weighing the same as her are not as skilled and therefore, she could beat them. Judo etc are designed so that person with knowledge can defeat a bigger or stronger opponent.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
chet said:
She'd beat a lot of the male MMA fighters in her weight class.
Not if they're worth a damn.
I've heard plenty of smart people say that she'd be very competitive--maybe not with the top 10 but 11+.
Name one
Joe Rogan said she'd beat 50% of bantamweight males.
Cite
It's all over the web. Here's one.

Joe Rogan thinks Ronda Rousey could beat '50 percent' of the UFC male bantamweight roster
Only because most guys won't eat bull ####.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/2rupm2/chappelle-s-show-tyrone-biggums-s--fear-factor----uncensored

Whats weird about Rousey ducking Cyborg, is that Rousey competed at 154 pounds in the olympics.

So it can't be the weight that is scaring her away....

Anyone

Thanks for the help, let me help as well as apparently you are missing the connection here. You're pretty smart, so this shouldn't be that hard.

Women have been playing basketball for a lot longer than they have been fighting, so the "talent pool" should be much larger, right? In a sport like basketball (which isn't even close to the physicality of fighting), the best in the world wouldn't be competitive in the NCAA, yet alone the NBA.

I'll hang up and listen.
let me put it this way: within the context of this discussion, there are two things that men can clearly do better than women: dunk a basketball and strike with power.

Dunking seems like a pretty Mendoza line to playing in the NBA. Is there anyone in the NBA who cannot dunk? It's not just about dunking, it's about blocking shots, snagging rebounds, etc. The ability to play above the rim seems to me to be a pretty important skill to have.

Striking with power is pretty important in MMA as well, but a lack of striking can be compensated for. If the fighter can get their opponent to the ground (via superior judo/wrestling), striking with power is no longer all that important. Grappling/ground£ is a completely different game that does not require power. Certainly, it is better to have striking power, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Not being able to dunk is a significant impediment. Not being able to strike with power is not. There's your difference.

Nah bro he was just humoring you. He totally could have powered out if he wanted to.

James Daulton said:
I'd wager there's not a single FBG who could last a round with her.
I'd take that bet. There's not only someone here who could last a round, there's someone here who could beat her. I have no clue who it is. But I don't believe for a second we don't have someone who could beat the #### out of her.
Let's look at it this way, I'll estimate that 50% of FBGs have never gotten into a proper fight. No idea how to strike or defend. Of the remaining 50%, at least 75% I'd estimate are in poor cardio conditioning and would be sucking wind after a minute. That leaves 12.5% left who have gotten into a fight and are in decent cardio conditioning. How many of them have any boxing or MMA training? I'm sure the number is very low and of those they'd have to be skilled at a level similar to her.

Now I think a reasonably MMA skilled, similar sized male would no doubt beat RR. I doubt any FBGs resemble that though.
he's probably lurking in the shark pool

:lmao: He doesn't even have a kill shot.

Not sure if it belongs here or on the Rhonda Vs thread but do you think she could get The Mountain to submit to her arm bar?

I'd bet he absolutely does, if he were fighting someone who is not a world class professional boxer. You can't make it to the level he has without developing enough power to be dangerous.

Brittney Griner is 6'8, 210 lbs...

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer, outside of the obvious) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.

I'd bet he absolutely does, if he were fighting someone who is not a world class professional boxer. You can't make it to the level he has without developing enough power to be dangerous.
Seriously, what he lacks in power (and I bet he still has a more powerful punch than 99.9999% of the world since he has trained forever), he makes up with speed and precision.

I bet we have a FBG dumb enough to think they could take this guy on.

Anyone

Thanks for the help, let me help as well as apparently you are missing the connection here. You're pretty smart, so this shouldn't be that hard.Women have been playing basketball for a lot longer than they have been fighting, so the "talent pool" should be much larger, right? In a sport like basketball (which isn't even close to the physicality of fighting), the best in the world wouldn't be competitive in the NCAA, yet alone the NBA.

I'll hang up and listen.
When the most dominant athlete in the world is a female basketball player, maybe we can have that discussion. Until then, we are talking about RR.

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.
You can't grasp the basics of this. :lmao: It's not a boxing match. He wins a boxing match that's obvious. It's an MMA fight. There is kicking, there is wresting. Both of which he has zero experience in.

:lmao: that anyone thinks a boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches.

Anyone

Thanks for the help, let me help as well as apparently you are missing the connection here. You're pretty smart, so this shouldn't be that hard.Women have been playing basketball for a lot longer than they have been fighting, so the "talent pool" should be much larger, right? In a sport like basketball (which isn't even close to the physicality of fighting), the best in the world wouldn't be competitive in the NCAA, yet alone the NBA.

I'll hang up and listen.
When the most dominant athlete in the world is a female basketball player, maybe we can have that discussion. Until then, we are talking about RR.
American Pharoah more dominant than RR

Anyone

I'll hang up and listen.
She could take on Floyd.

Anyone

I'll hang up and listen.
Nope. Not even close. He's the most dominant 3yo but would still lose to other older horses.

Rousey is the WMMA GOAT, and could easily kick the ### of any number of regular schlubs on a FF message board, but she's nowhere near the most dominant athlete in the world. WMMA is in its infancy and she's an Olympic-level athlete fighting inferior competition. Of course she's walking through opponents, but it doesn't mean she can beat good male fighters, much less the true studs, which BTW includes everyone drawing a check from the UFC. Come on now.

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.
You can't grasp the basics of this. :lmao: It's not a boxing match. He wins a boxing match that's obvious. It's an MMA fight. There is kicking, there is wresting. Both of which he has zero experience in.

:lmao: that anyone thinks a boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches.
I absolutely think a world class boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches alone.

Users who are viewing this thread