What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###? (1 Viewer)

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###?

• No way, wouldn't even be close. She would be on life support rather quickly.

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No. She would last a bit with me, get in a few good punches but she would lose.

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • It would be close. Probably a lot of grappling and it would go to a judges decision.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yes, she would beat me but I would give her a pretty good fight for a couple RD before I submit to s

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

Votes: 382 82.2%

• Total voters
Brittney Griner is 6'8, 210 lbs...

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer, outside of the obvious) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.
Greatest boxer ever, who can say. Certainly he is an outstanding defensive and counter-punching boxer. The thing is, were this to come off it would not be a boxing match, not remotely. The two disciplines are about as related as Soccer (European football) is to American football.

Counter-punching to keep a puncher off of you can be effective, after all, that puncher can not dive for your legs, he or she must remain standing and cannot grab you. Counter-punching someone shooting for a leg or kicking you anywhere from ankle to chin is another matter. His skill, his strength, though admirable in the boxing world has little application in MMA. Oh it has some, but not all that much. If the skills were really all that transferable, and he is as great as you say, one would imagine a fellow with his ego would want the MMA belt as well, but we don't see him even contemplating getting into a match with a male MMA fighter of his weight class. No, I think Floyd knows his skill set, though sharply honed, is applicable only within the rules of his very particularized sport. This is no different than the wide gulf in the skills between someone training for sport judo, and someone training for combat jiu jitsu.

Now if you want to argue that he would completely dominate her in a boxing match, well I could not agree more.

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.
You can't grasp the basics of this. :lmao: It's not a boxing match. He wins a boxing match that's obvious. It's an MMA fight. There is kicking, there is wresting. Both of which he has zero experience in. :lmao: that anyone thinks a boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches.
I absolutely think a world class boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches alone.
let me get this straight: you don't think there's a 150lb MMA fighter who could beat FM in MMA?

If the skills were really all that transferable, and he is as great as you say, one would imagine a fellow with his ego would want the MMA belt as well, but we don't see him even contemplating getting into a match with a male MMA fighter of his weight class.
Now if you want to argue that he would completely dominate her in a boxing match, well I could not agree more.
He made $100M in his last fight, why would he want to do something else?

I think I would dominate her in a boxing match. Furthermore, with his speed and precision, don't think his defense isn't transferable - If she would try to shoot for his legs, he would crack her across her temple, possibly killing her.

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.
You can't grasp the basics of this. :lmao: It's not a boxing match. He wins a boxing match that's obvious. It's an MMA fight. There is kicking, there is wresting. Both of which he has zero experience in. :lmao: that anyone thinks a boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches.
I absolutely think a world class boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches alone.
let me get this straight: you don't think there's a 150lb MMA fighter who could beat FM in MMA?
That wasn't my takeaway from his comments.

Not really top 1%. There's only one woman in the world that that statement applies to so try top 0.000000001%. And the crappiest 50% of bantamweight UFC fighters still kill 99.99+% of anyone they fight.
How do the bottoms 50% beat 99% of anyone they fight? They'd all have impeccable records and therefore not be the bottom 50% in their weight class.
Anyone

The 0.01% that they lose is to a better MMA fighter. The 99.99% that they win is against anyone else in the world.
Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I.I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.
Not a stretch to say the number one women's basketball player in the world could play in the NBA and would prob be better than half the field?
We are talking about 1 person in the world: RR. Not anyone else. HTH
Thanks for the help, let me help as well as apparently you are missing the connection here. You're pretty smart, so this shouldn't be that hard.Women have been playing basketball for a lot longer than they have been fighting, so the "talent pool" should be much larger, right? In a sport like basketball (which isn't even close to the physicality of fighting), the best in the world wouldn't be competitive in the NCAA, yet alone the NBA.

Why would it be different in MMA?

I'll hang up and listen.
When the most dominant athlete in the world is a female basketball player, maybe we can have that discussion. Until then, we are talking about RR.
American Pharoah more dominant than RR
Nope. Not even close. He's the most dominant 3yo but would still lose to other older horses.
What older horse in training do you think could take him right now? Anyway well likely find out at the BC Classic since AP won't be afraid to step out of his cozy little comfort zone unlike Rhonda

You can't grasp the basics of this. :lmao: It's not a boxing match. He wins a boxing match that's obvious. It's an MMA fight. There is kicking, there is wresting. Both of which he has zero experience in.

:lmao: that anyone thinks a boxer can fend off an MMA fighter with punches.
I tend to agree with you, but it's worth a mention that the history of strikers with minimal TDD in MMA is pretty ugly. Floyd also clinches a ton defensively when he fights -- if that happens even once against Rousey (or any skilled mixed martial artist), the fight is likely over. Mayweather likely lands hard enough to take care of things as Rousey charges in to the clinch, but IMO it's much harder to call than say Rousey vs. a random dude from FBGs or something.

She dominates women and can dunk/play above the rim, so that argument is rather deflated. She couldn't play against top notch HS competition (is anyone going to argue this?). I'm still waiting (and will be forever bc there isn't a legit answer, outside of the obvious) as to why a dominant woman who competes against a much larger talent pool can't compete against men, yet RR can take on the greatest boxer ever. This conversation is absurd.
Greatest boxer ever, who can say. Certainly he is an outstanding defensive and counter-punching boxer. The thing is, were this to come off it would not be a boxing match, not remotely. The two disciplines are about as related as Soccer (European football) is to American football.

Counter-punching to keep a puncher off of you can be effective, after all, that puncher can not dive for your legs, he or she must remain standing and cannot grab you. Counter-punching someone shooting for a leg or kicking you anywhere from ankle to chin is another matter. His skill, his strength, though admirable in the boxing world has little application in MMA. Oh it has some, but not all that much. If the skills were really all that transferable, and he is as great as you say, one would imagine a fellow with his ego would want the MMA belt as well, but we don't see him even contemplating getting into a match with a male MMA fighter of his weight class. No, I think Floyd knows his skill set, though sharply honed, is applicable only within the rules of his very particularized sport. This is no different than the wide gulf in the skills between someone training for sport judo, and someone training for combat jiu jitsu.

Mayweather just made $100+ million for a fight. No matter the ego, why would he challenge a MMA fighter? :loco:
I was under the impression he made many times that amount. He would not challenge an MMA fighter because even he knows he would get his ### kicked. He has specialized skills. Specialized skills are not all that transferable. You don't see Usain Bolt running marathons for a reason. he is a great runner, one of the best ever, and marathons are running, so why shouldn't he win if he ran one, well, because even similar skills are not transferable.

There are some that could get in close and get him on the ground, sure. There are others that could not. I'm not sure what it would take though...would need a good enough striker to present at least a little danger get FM's hands up, and a good enough wrestler to get him to the ground quickly.

Actually, someone with a great kicking game would chew him up. FM (presumably) has no idea how to check kicks, or to recognize where they are coming from. The range he would be comfortable being in would leave him open to licks to the leg....a skilled kicker would hit his lead leg so hard and so often FM wouldn't be able to move.

Not really top 1%. There's only one woman in the world that that statement applies to so try top 0.000000001%. And the crappiest 50% of bantamweight UFC fighters still kill 99.99+% of anyone they fight.
How do the bottoms 50% beat 99% of anyone they fight? They'd all have impeccable records and therefore not be the bottom 50% in their weight class.
Anyone

The 0.01% that they lose is to a better MMA fighter. The 99.99% that they win is against anyone else in the world.
Ok. But Joe Rogan was talking about ufc fighters and so was I.I don't think it is a big leap to say the top bantam weight female UFC fighter would beat the bottom 50% male ufc fighters of the same weight class.
Not a stretch to say the number one women's basketball player in the world could play in the NBA and would prob be better than half the field?
Thanks for the help, let me help as well as apparently you are missing the connection here. You're pretty smart, so this shouldn't be that hard.Women have been playing basketball for a lot longer than they have been fighting, so the "talent pool" should be much larger, right? In a sport like basketball (which isn't even close to the physicality of fighting), the best in the world wouldn't be competitive in the NCAA, yet alone the NBA.

I'll hang up and listen.
When the most dominant athlete in the world is a female basketball player, maybe we can have that discussion. Until then, we are talking about RR.
Most dominant athlete in the world right now is Jordan Spieth.

Anyone

I'll hang up and listen.
Most dominant athlete in the world right now is Jordan Spieth.
Athlete :lmao:

Obviously voted that RR would kill me an it wouldn't take long. I find the FM vs. RR discussion to be a lot more intriguing. I've never been in a fight in my life, know very little about boxing or MMA and admit I have no clue who would win. Having said that I think I would favor FM just because I think he probably has insane hand-eye coordination and speed and any punch that lands with those MMA gloves on is going to stun RR and then the next one knocks her out.

If the skills were really all that transferable, and he is as great as you say, one would imagine a fellow with his ego would want the MMA belt as well, but we don't see him even contemplating getting into a match with a male MMA fighter of his weight class.

I think I would dominate her in a boxing match. Furthermore, with his speed and precision, don't think his defense isn't transferable - If she would try to shoot for his legs, he would crack her across her temple, possibly killing her.
I don't think he has much experience cracking folks across the temple who are at his knee or ankle height. standing in front of him and off balance from throwing a punch, sure, but shooting in that low, not so much, in fact not at all.

You can't grasp the basics of this. :lmao: It's not a boxing match. He wins a boxing match that's obvious. It's an MMA fight. There is kicking, there is wresting. Both of which he has zero experience in.

I tend to agree with you, but it's worth a mention that the history of strikers with minimal TDD in MMA is pretty ugly. Floyd also clinches a ton defensively when he fights -- if that happens even once against Rousey (or any skilled mixed martial artist), the fight is likely over. Mayweather likely lands hard enough to take care of things as Rousey charges in to the clinch, but IMO it's much harder to call than say Rousey vs. a random dude from FBGs or something.
I'm operating under the assumption that FM is a smart enough striker to completely avoid the clinch and maintain proper spacing. Maybe he's not, and he's the kind of guy to say, "I'm gonna play my game and do what I want", which could be trouble.

I'm operating under the assumption that FM is a smart enough striker to completely avoid the clinch and maintain proper spacing. Maybe he's not, and he's the kind of guy to say, "I'm gonna play my game and do what I want", which could be trouble.
What happens if the MMA guy can eat a couple of punches and get his hands on FM?

What happens if the MMA guy can eat a couple of punches and get his hands on FM?
See James Toney vs. Randy Couture. This is a bit different, though, as Rousey is a woman and Mayweather is an all time great. Generally, I think the training and experience a pro MMA guy has in striking likely is enough to buy him enough time to close the distance and get inside, and then its all bad for the boxer.

He taps out while screaming like a baby. He's a boxer, not a fighter.

He has tens of millions of reasons to stick with boxing.

I don't think he has much experience cracking folks across the temple who are at his knee or ankle height. standing in front of him and off balance from throwing a punch, sure, but shooting in that low, not so much, in fact not at all.
So his unbelievable hand/eye coordination and precision punching only works from the stomach up. Swinging downwards and it is all lost?

So his unbelievable hand/eye coordination and precision punching only works from the stomach up. Swinging downwards and it is all lost?
Not all, but a sufficient amount would be lost such that he is not going to knock her out. We are not talking about a knock out artist, but a counterpuncher.

Hell, did he knock out any of the defenseless ladies he has punched in the past, ladies not nearly the match in toughness of Rousey? I am no expert in his domestic cases, but my impression was that he did not.

This thread has provided all the hilarity I expected and then some :lol:

As soon as RR got close enough to Mayweather he would punch her in the face harder than she's ever been hit in her life. It's amazing to me the underestimation of FM's skill, quickness, athleticism, power, etc in here.

I have nothing but respect for RR but some folks need to come back to reality.

FTR, I hate Floyd as much as anyone, but I know enough to respect his ridiculous abilities as a boxer.
Fixed. The guy has no power. If he had any power in his punches at all, he would have been KO'ing guys like Tyson did in his hey day.The 4th Rd KO of Ortiz was simply a dirty move in retaliation of a dirty move. He flat out hits a guy with his hands down and the ref not even looking. Everyone else just boxes for 12 rounds and takes a decision loss.

This thread has provided all the hilarity I expected and then some :lol:

As soon as RR got close enough to Mayweather he would punch her in the face harder than she's ever been hit in her life. It's amazing to me the underestimation of FM's skill, quickness, athleticism, power, etc in here.

I have nothing but respect for RR but some folks need to come back to reality.
Not to mention Floyd's experience against women.Floyd against women: somewhere around 5-0

Rousey's record against men: 0-0

See James Toney vs. Randy Couture. This is a bit different, though, as Rousey is a woman and Mayweather is an all time great. Generally, I think the training and experience a pro MMA guy has in striking likely is enough to buy him enough time to close the distance and get inside, and then its all bad for the boxer.
good point.

fight is here, begins at 11:00. Toney is completely defenseless vs a low single - a wise shot by Couture because (1) Toney isn't gonna kick him so no risk of eating a kick or knee (2) gets him low, well out of striking range (3) the shot is quick enough and Toney is slow enough that he can't step away. Mayweather would be faster than Toney is, but probably not quick enough vs someone with a halfway decent shot.

a world class boxer will fall to a good wrestler. So, there is that.

FTR, I hate Floyd as much as anyone, but I know enough to respect his ridiculous abilities as a boxer.
Fixed. The guy has no power. If he had any power in his punches at all, he would have been KO'ing guys like Tyson did in his hey day.The 4th Rd KO of Ortiz was simply a dirty move in retaliation of a dirty move. He flat out hits a guy with his hands down and the ref not even looking. Everyone else just boxes for 12 rounds and takes a decision loss.
48-0 with 26 KOs suggests the bolded above is simply not true.

We are not talking about a knock out artist, but a counterpuncher.

Hell, did he knock out any of the defenseless ladies he has punched in the past, ladies not nearly the match in toughness of Rousey? I am no expert in his domestic cases, but my impression was that he did not.
Jesus Christ. :loco:

The argument has now left the building.

I dont know how it fits here, but its worth mentioning. I once saw a champion boxer take off his gloves and pick up a professional wrestler who was four times his size and throw him over the top rope. Its all good though as they posed for a Polaroid after the match.

Mayweather just made $100+ million for a fight. No matter the ego, why would he challenge a MMA fighter? :loco:
I was under the impression he made many times that amount. He would not challenge an MMA fighter because even he knows he would get his ### kicked. He has specialized skills. Specialized skills are not all that transferable. You don't see Usain Bolt running marathons for a reason. he is a great runner, one of the best ever, and marathons are running, so why shouldn't he win if he ran one, well, because even similar skills are not transferable.
Getting way off the subject but that's cool.

Which set is more different? 100m vs Marathon or MMA vs Boxing? Talking world-class in both.

Would Bolt beat the average FFA runner in the 1600 or 3200m? I honestly don't know. Just asking for fun.

ETA: Mayweather beats Rousey. Mayweather loses to world-class male MMA fighter. IMO.
MMA vs. boxing is more different. although it's not a horrible comparison. http://www.rundreamachieve.com/can-sprinters-run-long-distance/

although, I think cycling to running is probably more similar a comparison.

Bolt would beat every FBG in the mile. A few might catch up in the 3200m, more in the marathon.

I remember the good old days when discussions on female athletes centered on their looks and sexuality, not on their athletic prowess. What has become of the FFA? Are there no sprinters or pole vaulters with sassy warm up routines, no beach volley ballers with prominent toe, no rhythmic gymnasts who are models/mistresses for the rich and powerful?

What happened to tennis players wanting to be lingerie models and skaters wanting to rebel against their Daddies?

good point.

fight is here, begins at 11:00. Toney is completely defenseless vs a low single - a wise shot by Couture because (1) Toney isn't gonna kick him so no risk of eating a kick or knee (2) gets him low, well out of striking range (3) the shot is quick enough and Toney is slow enough that he can't step away. Mayweather would be faster than Toney is, but probably not quick enough vs someone with a halfway decent shot.

a world class boxer will fall to a good wrestler. So, there is that.
Right. Rogan's quote from the end of that fight is spot on: "what we learned in UFC 1 still holds true to UFC 119". Basically, wrestling/grappling will generally demolish a boxer. May weather is likely quicker than Toney and obviously Rousey would get pummeled by Couture, but this theory has to bleed over to any Mayweather vs. Rousey discussion. I'd give Rousey a good chance. :shrug:

James Toney... A pile of washed up old fat looking for a paycheck compared to an all-time great. Awesome comparison :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted "beat the living crap out of me" then I googled her size, 5'7" 135lbs. I thought she was bigger/taller... I may be able to last a round with her until I am gassed and she gets me in some submission.
Can't believe only 20 of us think we could beat her. I got her by 6.5 inches and 140 pounds. I'd destroy her.If we were equal sized she would chew me up and spit me out. She's a great fighter.

I voted "beat the living crap out of me" then I googled her size, 5'7" 135lbs. I thought she was bigger/taller... I may be able to last a round with her until I am gassed and she gets me in some submission.
Can't believe only 20 of us think we could beat her. I got her by 6.5 inches and 140 pounds. I'd destroy her.
I'm 6'1" 200, good shape, athletic....but there is one big problem. No training whatsoever. I've been in two fights in my life...both over 10 years ago.

Most people don't train for this and most people don't get into a lot of fights. That gives Rousey a huge advantage.

ETA: Let me train for a year and I may have a different answer for you.

Can't believe only 20 of us think we could beat her. I got her by 6.5 inches and 140 pounds. I'd destroy her.If we were equal sized she would chew me up and spit me out. She's a great fighter.
What will you do when she kicks you repeatedly? How about when you gas out after 30 seconds? All she'd have to do is kick you, circle around while you flail, kick you some more, then move in when you're sucking wind.

What will you do when she kicks you repeatedly? How about when you gas out after 30 seconds? All she'd have to do is kick you, circle around while you flail, kick you some more, then move in when you're sucking wind.
Bruce Lee was 5'7" and 135. I believe he would have soundly whooped the ### of anyone in this thread, even taking into account the fact that we're footballguys. I think some people forget what an equalizer extreme martial arts training would be. They're taught how to handle weight differences.

Bruce Lee was 5'7" and 135. I believe he would have soundly whooped the ### of anyone in this thread, even taking into account the fact that we're footballguys. I think some people forget what an equalizer extreme martial arts training would be. They're taught how to handle weight differences.
Is the bar now Bruce Lee?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXsfo8aoBI

Clearly no. But Rousey is waaaaay closer to Bruce Lee than she is to a bunch of middle aged nerds with zero training. If you doubt this, go to your local gym and roll with someone experienced but half your size.

I disagree. Weight is a huge factor is a fight. It's why wrestling has 14 weight classes.

The Ronda=Chuck Norris contingent is pretty funny, from some of these posters seem to think she would beat up a 8'7" 520 lb. man simply because he doesn't have training or her skill (relative to peers). Size and strength really do matter, she can't 'out skill' physics to infinity.

Don't be silly. Bruce would have no chance.

Rousey would submit King Kong in 51 seconds without messing up her hair.

To answer the question, yes, she would crush me.

I have two coworkers, both 6'2", both workout, around 215 - 230 lbs. Both feel they could beat her, without hesitation. My favorite was when one of them said there is no way he would submit to the armbar because he can curl 135.

Users who are viewing this thread