What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###? (2 Viewers)

Would Ronda Rousey kick your ###?

• No way, wouldn't even be close. She would be on life support rather quickly.

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No. She would last a bit with me, get in a few good punches but she would lose.

Votes: 23 4.9%
  • It would be close. Probably a lot of grappling and it would go to a judges decision.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yes, she would beat me but I would give her a pretty good fight for a couple RD before I submit to s

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Yes, she would beat the living crap out of me.

Votes: 382 82.2%

• Total voters
I am curious as to her ability to arm bar someone like the linebacker, who should be able to overpower his way out of it without much effort. Ankle lock would have him dead to rights, but most chokes and anything on the top half of the body and a professional male athlete should be able to break the hold with sheer power.
Have you ever tried to get out of a properly placed choke? I've been on both ends, a lot stronger than the guy who got me in it and I couldn't break it. Got a guy a lot stronger into one and he couldn't break it. That said, she has to get him there.
When you say a lot stronger, are we talking professional football player stronger than a 135 lb woman? I am not downplaying the MMA skills and power that she has, but I am talking taking someone in football shape who should be able to break her grip easily.
Once it is locked in, it's too late.
Although I do wonder if a defensive lineman's ability to break contact would help. Most likely just help avoid the lock to begin with.
It would help, sure. Could probably defend a sub or two with pure strength. But as he's defending one thing, she's getting ready to switch to something else and technique would win in end.
I don't watch MMA because the BJJ crowd ruined the sport by turning it into a grapple and choke fest and ruined the watchability IMO. I am honestly curious if someone with vastly superior strength would be able to break holds, at least on the upper body. I am not downplaying her skill, but I have to imagine that the NFL linebacker could overpower his way out.
Watch some of the first few UFC when there were no weight classes. Gracie crushed those guys and never once did he have a size or strength advantage. Plenty of times he was giving up 100+ lbs. He won because of technique and his opponents having no clue how to defend what he was doing. Same thing as Rousey vs <insert untrained guy>.Same thing as putting a boxer into a Muay Thai fight. It wouldn't be close.
Is this where we are with Rousey?

Rousey = Gracie?
She's undeniably a better and far more accomplished combat athlete. Royce was fighting dudes who never heard of BJJ.
So Rousey >> Gracie or just > Gracie?

So, according to the people in this thread, there is no amount of force that could break an arm bar. So, if a 5 year old somehow gets into position against JJ Watt, eventually Watt would lose.

James Daulton said:
I'd wager there's not a single FBG who could last a round with her.
I'd take that bet. There's not only someone here who could last a round, there's someone here who could beat her. I have no clue who it is. But I don't believe for a second we don't have someone who could beat the #### out of her.

Olympic medal >>>> winning the early UFCs, which were stacked for Gracie to win. Royce Gracie in his prime couldn't hang in any decent modern MMA promotion at all, guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy at my work thinks she would beat Mike Tyson in his prime. Hell, fat Mike Tyson would dislodge her head from her body.

James Daulton said:
I'd take that bet. There's not only someone here who could last a round, there's someone here who could beat her. I have no clue who it is. But I don't believe for a second we don't have someone who could beat the #### out of her.
What about Busted Knuckles?

So, according to the people in this thread, there is no amount of force that could break an arm bar. So, if a 5 year old somehow gets into position against JJ Watt, eventually Watt would lose.
It's essentially the amount you can curl with one arm vs the aggregate of the hips, core, shoulders and arms of the person applying it.

Of course JJ Watt could break from a 5 year old. But there's VERY few professional athletes who are going to break free of a properly applied arm bar from a pro MMA fighter.

:fishy:
An arm bar is merely using the opponent's elbow to create torque. Its a force multiplier, but there will be some amount of raw strength that would overpower the leverage created.

It's essentially the amount you can curl with one arm vs the aggregate of the hips, core, shoulders and arms of the person applying it.

Of course JJ Watt could break from a 5 year old. But there's VERY few professional athletes who are going to break free of a properly applied arm bar from a pro MMA fighter.
I'm sure that when you were training you were able to break out of almost all armbars because of your size.

A guy at my work thinks she would beat Mike Tyson in his prime. Hell, fat Mike Tyson would dislodge her head from her body.
Tyson would kill Mayweather in a fight right now.

Not a boxing match, that would be badly in May's favor. A fight is not boxing though.

I'm sure that when you were training you were able to break out of almost all armbars because of your size.
Pretty much that's how it went. All those jiujitsu technique guys would be all like ARMBAR and then I'd be all like NOPE

Let's keep things in perspective here. We are comparing a 135 lb woman putting an armbar on a 300+ lb professional athlete. Not quite the same thing as mocking the difference between a poster here with that same 135 lb woman.

Pretty much that's how it went. All those jiujitsu technique guys would be all like ARMBAR and then I'd be all like NOPE
That's why Lance Bachelor mopped the floor with Pedro Sauer.

I'm taking Maywether over Rousey. I'm also taking Watt, and any world clasd athlete over 6' & 200 lbs W/ 6 months of solid, consistent MMA training (yes, back-tracking from previous statements after thinking about it a little).

I'm also taking any 145+ UFC male fighter, and would consider 135ers. I'd also take either of my MMA instructors, and a few other guys I know who are skilled in the art.

That's about it.

Ahh yes, the annual "nobody from the FFA could possibly be an athlete thread". Troll on trollers, troll on.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
chet said:
She'd beat a lot of the male MMA fighters in her weight class.
Not if they're worth a damn.
I've heard plenty of smart people say that she'd be very competitive--maybe not with the top 10 but 11+.
Name one
Joe Rogan said she'd beat 50% of bantamweight males.
Cite
It's all over the web. Here's one.

Joe Rogan thinks Ronda Rousey could beat '50 percent' of the UFC male bantamweight roster

She's said that she has a big fear of showing camel toe and nipples during her fights. That's why she's always tugging on her shorts. I would work this into my overall strategy and probably TKO her in the second.

She could not beat JJ watt. There is no way she would be able to isolate his arm. He could always stand up at any moment. I realize i am 5 pages behind. That just seemed odd to think she could beat a dude that massive, fast, and strong.

James Daulton said:
Let's look at it this way, I'll estimate that 50% of FBGs have never gotten into a proper fight. No idea how to strike or defend. Of the remaining 50%, at least 75% I'd estimate are in poor cardio conditioning and would be sucking wind after a minute. That leaves 12.5% left who have gotten into a fight and are in decent cardio conditioning. How many of them have any boxing or MMA training? I'm sure the number is very low and of those they'd have to be skilled at a level similar to her.

Now I think a reasonably MMA skilled, similar sized male would no doubt beat RR. I doubt any FBGs resemble that though.

Sort of amazing that Rousey can demolish all but a handful of people on the planet, yet still only managed Bronze at the Olympics.

She could not beat JJ watt. There is no way she would be able to isolate his arm. He could always stand up at any moment. I realize i am 5 pages behind. That just seemed odd to think she could beat a dude that massive, fast, and strong.
In these threads all tangible physical advantages become disadvantages.

Small + weak + female + training > Big + strong + fast + male.

Says the guy who claims he'd beat a world class featherweight boxer at boxing. You have no credibility here.

chet said:
I've heard plenty of smart people say that she'd be very competitive--maybe not with the top 10 but 11+.
Name one
Cite

Joe Rogan thinks Ronda Rousey could beat '50 percent' of the UFC male bantamweight roster
So the top 1% female can beat the crappiest 50% of males of the same weight? Given her judo and submission, I could see that and really it isn't much to say.

no one says being big, strong, and fast is a disadvantage.

What it comes down to is this: skill can trump size and strength. That's the premises that jiu-jitsu was founded on, and was clearly demonstrated in the early days of the UFC.

Obviously there are limits, but skill can take you a hell of a lot further than you think.

Last week, I was rolling with a guy who outweighs me by about 100 lbs, is maybe 8-9 inches taller, and is probably 10 years younger. Not an ounce of fat on him either. This dude was a college football player, and now is a middle school wrestling coach so he has some background in wrestling. Real good athlete, strong as an ox. That being said, he is new to jiu jitsu. I had a hell of a time dealing with him - he even got full mount. scrambling out of a full mount when your opponent is basically sitting on you is no fun, especially when he's got 100 lbs on you. I managed to wiggle out, get back to my feet, pop his head down and slap on a guillotine. He was tapping within 5 seconds .Now, it won' take very long before he is skilled enough that I won't be able to do that, but for right now, my 5+ years of experience trumps his 100 lbs of size and strength.

So she's basically afraid to fight this cyborg girl because she's 10 lbs heavier...real badass :rolleyes:

chet said:
Name one
Cite

So the top 1% female can beat the crappiest 50% of males of the same weight? Given her judo and submission, I could see that and really it isn't much to say.
Not really top 1%. There's only one woman in the world that that statement applies to so try top 0.000000001%. And the crappiest 50% of bantamweight UFC fighters still kill 99.99+% of anyone they fight.

Users who are viewing this thread