What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richard Rodgers: GB Packers Rookie TE (1 Viewer)

Skeletore Eh

Footballguy
couldn't find a thread on this kid

Richard Rodgers - TE - Packers
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel highlighted Packers third-round TE Richard Rodgers as "an MVP of OTAs."
Beat writer Tyler Dunne notes Rodgers was plucking passes out of the air one-handed and says if he can prove to be a decent in-line blocker, Rodgers could open the season as the starter. Andrew Quarless isn't going to scare anyone, and Brandon Bostick reported to spring practices overweight. The Packers' tight end depth chart remains wide open, but it appears Rodgers has the early lead. Any tight end playing with Aaron Rodgers is going to be worth monitoring.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Jun 26 - 9:30 AM

Surprised he was so dismissed, especially (and not to call them out because I use their material quite a bit but this was an instance of diversion) Bloom, Bramel and Waldman. 3rd round pick in a difficult position to yield quality results on one of the best passing teams in football: yes, please. Getting him any point round 5 and beyond was gold. Maybe he will prove average but Ted Thompson has one of the best track records for the 1st 3 rounds of the draft. This really was a homerun no brainer that late if he started picking up buzz. Now he has and you can either take the risk or try to earn back that pick ten fold.

snagged him in a few dynos after the rookie drafts in May

People going after cocaine colt.

Ill take this guy
I think there is room for both if Colt just acts as a societal norm. McCarthy is creative enough to get TE's involved in his offense.
I know a lot of people look at Green Bay as an awesome TE spot but I think it's really over rated. For sure the starting TE on that team has value so long as Rodgers remains at QB but they don't utilize that position nearly as much as people tend to think.

Granted injuries played a role but I want to say Finley maxed at around 100 targets in a season.

Over the past 3 seasons GB has been between 18-20 in targets to TE's and 27th the year before that. They don't pass as much as a lot of the other high octane offenses and they usually have at least 3 WR's actively involved all of which takes away from the TE production.

Add it up and to me I'd say this team has room for one TE to produce and if no clear cut starter emerges and it's a bit of a timeshare approach I don't think any GB TE will be a reliable contributor.

menobrown said:
Bojang0301 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Ill take this guy
I think there is room for both if Colt just acts as a societal norm. McCarthy is creative enough to get TE's involved in his offense.
I know a lot of people look at Green Bay as an awesome TE spot but I think it's really over rated. For sure the starting TE on that team has value so long as Rodgers remains at QB but they don't utilize that position nearly as much as people tend to think.

Granted injuries played a role but I want to say Finley maxed at around 100 targets in a season.

Over the past 3 seasons GB has been between 18-20 in targets to TE's and 27th the year before that. They don't pass as much as a lot of the other high octane offenses and they usually have at least 3 WR's actively involved all of which takes away from the TE production.

Add it up and to me I'd say this team has room for one TE to produce and if no clear cut starter emerges and it's a bit of a timeshare approach I don't think any GB TE will be a reliable contributor.
Perhaps not, last year was sort of an anomoly with Finley and Rodgers hurt. Not saying I expect it to magically jump but NE is an abyss for TE's without Gronk and Hernandez. Watson had some success back before them but I can't think of anyone else significant before them. So there is a little bit of a talent to %'s ratio I think you have to factor if you think these guys have the skill. Now GB still has some good talent at WR and took three talented rookies to boot. So you may be on to something.

I went back and watched the draftbreakdown videos for Rodgers (2013) and Lyerla (2012) and from what I saw neither of them stood out as vastly better than the other. Character/off field concerns aside, I would give Lyerla the edge in speed and versatility. Rodgers gets the nod for reliable hands and boxing out defenders during the catch. Rodgers also looks longer despite only being an 1/8 of an inch taller. Lyerla got a bit more action in the redzone in the videos I watched. He didn't get much but Rodgers saw almost nothing. Especially, where his team was inside the 10. Neither guy got the corner/fade route jump ball. Again, this is just from the draftbreakdown.com videos.

Blocking wise, Colt looked to have better form and aggression. Rodgers did alright but for such a big guy he used the cut block way to much. He also looked like he was content with just holding defenders up rather then trying to move them.

Assuming all is equal, Rodgers should be looking better since Lyerla didn't play football last year.

From a dynasty angle, I can see Rodgers taking this job and being a good enough fit in this offense to not let it go. However, I can't see him being productive enough to ever challenge the top 5 fantasy TEs. If he were to outright win the job I can see a career filled with stat lines of 50/600/5 roughly. Not terrible by any means but he won't carry a team to a league championship either.

For Lyerla, I think he could have a ceiling of a Jason Witten but not with GB. From as development perspective (both as a player and a person) I think the Packers organization was a wonderful place for him to land but as a fantasy option it's not so good. Aside from the competition, I just don't see the Packers using him to make the most out of his potential. There is just too many mouths to feed and they shouldn't need to focus on getting the most out of him.

I was going to do a longer post about my top 5 dynasty targets at each position and probably will this weekend with write-ups on each of the guys.

Rodgers is one of my 5 TE targets. I've grabbed him late in the rookie draft or off waivers in almost every league I'm in. He reminds me of Jordan Reed at this time last year and I think he has that type of upside.

He is getting no notice. Despite his draft position (3rd round). Despite his landing spot (Aaron Rodgers, clear path to starting spot). Despite his style (with his weight down he is more of a joker type). Just a great value right now and he costs you next to nothing. For example, in a recent startup draft (12 team, no IDP) I grabbed him in the 24th round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to do a longer post about my top 5 dynasty targets at each position and probably will this weekend with write-ups on each of the guys.

Rodgers is one of my 5 TE targets. I've grabbed him late in the rookie draft or off waivers in almost every league I'm in. He reminds me of Jordan Reed at this time last year and I think he has that type of upside.

He is getting no notice. Despite his draft position (3rd round). Despite his landing spot (Aaron Rodgers, clear path to starting spot). Despite his style (with his weight down he is more of a joker type). Just a great value right now and he costs you next to nothing. For example, in a recent startup draft (12 team, no IDP) I grabbed him in the 24th round.
Reed ran a 4.72 and Rodgers ran a 4.87 which is a noteworthy difference but when you watch the college tape from both you can see there's a noticeable different between the two in how fast they play. Rodgers seems to be the better blocker but there's no doubt that Reed is a much better receiving/fantasy option.

Our rookie draft start in a few days. Thinking about going after this guy. When would you take him? 16 teams, start 1-2 TE. 1,5 PPR for TEs.

Our rookie draft start in a few days. Thinking about going after this guy. When would you take him? 16 teams, start 1-2 TE. 1,5 PPR for TEs.
Went 3.08 in a 16 team IDP TE premium league I'm in. Very saavy owners. Highest I've seen him go.

Went 3.08 in a 16 team IDP TE premium league I'm in. Very saavy owners. Highest I've seen him go.
Where did Lyerla go?

If you have the luxury try to pick up Lyerla too. One of these 2 should take over and you could have at the very least a startable TE for many years. Someone you can use a base and build off of.

Where did Lyerla go?

If you have the luxury try to pick up Lyerla too. One of these 2 should take over and you could have at the very least a startable TE for many years. Someone you can use a base and build off of.
We are at pick 4.04 and he hasn't been selected so far.

http://football2.myfantasyleague.com/2014/options?L=42624&O=17

menobrown said:
Bojang0301 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Ill take this guy

Good post! I absolutely agree.

Rodgers runs good routes, and knows how to get open. Hopefully he learns how to block.
He may not need to - to be effective in fantasy...
It sure helps.

When a defense respects a tight end's blocking ability, it will open up opportunities in the passing game. A lot of Gronkowski's fantasy value ties into his blocking.

For another thing, it gets tight ends on the field. For those not named Jimmy Graham, they mostly need to block adequately to get playing time.

Man am I kicking myself right now. I could have had him very cheap in 3 different drafts and pulled off because of the Lyerla news. I'm getting the impression I really screwed up. If he's making tough catches and earns Rodgers' trust, they'll find a way to get him on the field and involved. And teach him to be at least a passable blocker unless he just doesn't have the heart.

Kicking myself.

same as the guys who do well in the underpants Olympics. when football is played in shorts and no pads then being mvp of otas will be sweet

same as the guys who do well in the underpants Olympics. when football is played in shorts and no pads then being mvp of otas will be sweet
You have a valid point, but the cost was so small given the potential reward, and right now at the least he's got a foot in the door.

Did I mention that I'm kicking myself?

You have a valid point, but the cost was so small given the potential reward, and right now at the least he's got a foot in the door. Did I mention that I'm kicking myself?
This is the correct train of thought. The value has definitely elevated. If you used a 5th,6th or just pulled him in FA you could probably pull a 3rd next year for him right now if you believe he is just average.

We have two Green Bay tight ends in rookie drafts this year; one has an ADP in the 3rd, the other the 5th. Surprisingly, the UDFA gets drafted ahead of the 3rd round NFL selection.

I'm at a loss as to how Lyerla goes 20 picks ahead of of Rodgers. Could somebody explain it?

We have two Green Bay tight ends in rookie drafts this year; one has an ADP in the 3rd, the other the 5th. Surprisingly, the UDFA gets drafted ahead of the 3rd round NFL selection.

I'm at a loss as to how Lyerla goes 20 picks ahead of of Rodgers. Could somebody explain it?
Perceived higher upside. Just like Crowell vs West. Some guys are willing to use higher draft picks to swing for the fences. Doesn't mean they are correct, just that their perception of risk/reward is ramped up a bit as they look for a diamond in a pile of #### and they are willing to spend a higher pick to ensure they get first crack at the pile.

The tide is shifting. Lyerla is still on the board in one of my drafts (we're in the 5th) and Richards went off at the end of the 3rd. 10 team TE premium scoring.

The tide is shifting. Lyerla is still on the board in one of my drafts (we're in the 5th) and Richards went off at the end of the 3rd. 10 team TE premium scoring.
You got one of their names right anyway.

Ill take this guy

I agree to a degree with this. However, I think the ups and downs of Jermichael Finley had as much to do with that as anything. If either Lyeria or Rodgers prove to be a consistent threat, I wouldn't pigeon hole them into X number of targets based on what Finley got.

You got one of their names right anyway.
His name trips me up every time.

I honestly think it's probably going to be Quarless or Bostick. I can't see them starting a rookie there unless he's very very good.

I honestly think it's probably going to be Quarless or Bostick. I can't see them starting a rookie there unless he's very very good.
long term from a FF perspective, those guy are not the answer
I wouldn't sell Bostick that short. He is looking like one of those athletic guys who it just never clicks for though.
Good to know he's Finley's heir apparent.
Hey-o!

Perceived higher upside. Just like Crowell vs West. Some guys are willing to use higher draft picks to swing for the fences. Doesn't mean they are correct, just that their perception of risk/reward is ramped up a bit as they look for a diamond in a pile of #### and they are willing to spend a higher pick to ensure they get first crack at the pile.
Do people feel like Lyerla only fell because of his off-field issues? Personally, other than speed and blocking technique, give me Rodgers, who has much more short area ability for creating separation.

Do people feel like Lyerla only fell because of his off-field issues? Personally, other than speed and blocking technique, give me Rodgers, who has much more short area ability for creating separation.
I will admit that I am bias towards Lyerla since I drafted him in the third round of a rookie draft. Training camp hasn't even started and I feel like I have egg on my face. That said, there's no doubt that Lyerla dropped in the draft because his off field issues. Those issues spilled over to his on field game. He only played 2 games in 2013. Lyerla started as a true freshmen in a power Ducks offense then had an impressive 2012 before he quit the team. He might just McCarthys pet project and be considered a success if the Packers can just get him on the right life path but they may also see him as something special that needs to be developed. The Ducks used him all over the place. "Get the ball to your studs." If a Packers offense where he can just focus on getting better at TE he might develop into something special.

I think something that I've overlooked with both these guys is how often the GB QB spreads the ball around and the fact that Lacy looks like a back they can use in bulk. So who ever the TE is how many targets are they really going to get? In direct regards to Richard Rodgers, if he doesn't have the speed to stretch the seam how many snaps will he lose because of that? As for this season he is likely to lose snaps until he gets his blocking skills up.

I think something that I've overlooked with both these guys is how often the GB QB spreads the ball around and the fact that Lacy looks like a back they can use in bulk. So who ever the TE is how many targets are they really going to get? In direct regards to Richard Rodgers, if he doesn't have the speed to stretch the seam how many snaps will he lose because of that? As for this season he is likely to lose snaps until he gets his blocking skills up.
The tight ends in this offense will benefit from Aaron Rodgers spreading the ball around. None of them have butt loads of talent, so probably they'll end up getting more targets than they deserve.

This roster has too many sort of middling tight ends to battle it out, reeking of a committee. I don't like this situation for either of these rookies. The veteran tight ends absolutely have a leg up for this season. I doubt either Rodgers or Lyerla will help anybody in fantasy short term. Best case: they'll help in 2015.

If I had to pick though, Rodgers is more likely McCarthy's pet project, since the team considered him worthy of a draft selection. He gets open very well as traditional tight end safety valve; his coach hopes he'll learn how to block. I don't want to discount Lyerla completely, because he has a lot of different kinds of ability to that of Rodgers. Either way, I will watch this situation with interest.

Well we have to wait until the 26th to get anymore news. Then another month of arguing then a season of "I told you so's" vs "yeah but dynasty/next year"

Someone is gonna shake free during training camp still think Bostick/Quarrels have the most value with their experience. No Lyerla news is good news, think he has most long-term upside (barring a psychotic meltdown)

Rotoworld:

Aaron Rodgers emerged from spring practices impressed by third-round TE Richard Rodgers.

"When we made the pick, some of the so-called experts on the draft channel said he was a late sixth-round pick ... which is pretty laughable when you watch the talent he's got and the ability," said Green Bay's All-Pro quarterback. "You have to be excited about his body type and the hands. He's made some incredible catches, makes it look easy. I think he's going to push for some playing time if he can transfer what he's done in the spring now to the fall and have the potential to be an impact player." Although rookie tight ends tend to struggle in fantasy, Rodgers is in a good enough landing spot to buck that trend, and has a chance to start in Green Bay. He's someone to monitor closely this summer.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Jul 11 - 3:25 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky says third-round TE Richard Rodgers "may have quietly taken control of the starting job."

Rodgers has started each of the Packers' preseason games, and played the entire opening series on Saturday night as Aaron Rodgers went no-huddle. However, he has just one catch for 10 yards on 30 snaps. The underwhelming Cal product is going to be buried on the target totem pole even if he is the "starter."

Related: Brandon Bostick, Andrew Quarless

Source: ESPN.com Aug 18 - 11:33 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky says third-round TE Richard Rodgers "may have quietly taken control of the starting job."

Rodgers has started each of the Packers' preseason games, and played the entire opening series on Saturday night as Aaron Rodgers went no-huddle. However, he has just one catch for 10 yards on 30 snaps. The underwhelming Cal product is going to be buried on the target totem pole even if he is the "starter."

lmfao roto world being rotoworld on that one. Hes gonna be a solid FF TE, maybe not this year but his situation is hard to ignore.

Rotoworld:

lmfao roto world being rotoworld on that one. Hes gonna be a solid FF TE, maybe not this year but his situation is hard to ignore.
I still think Bostick is the best receiving TE on the team. Despite getting a lot of playing time, Rodgers only has 1 catch for 10 yards in two games and looks primarily like a blocking TE to me.

Users who are viewing this thread