What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richard Rodgers: GB Packers Rookie TE (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Richard Rodgers - TE - Packers

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky says third-round TE Richard Rodgers "may have quietly taken control of the starting job."

Rodgers has started each of the Packers' preseason games, and played the entire opening series on Saturday night as Aaron Rodgers went no-huddle. However, he has just one catch for 10 yards on 30 snaps. The underwhelming Cal product is going to be buried on the target totem pole even if he is the "starter."

Related: Brandon Bostick, Andrew Quarless

Source: ESPN.com Aug 18 - 11:33 AM
lmfao roto world being rotoworld on that one. Hes gonna be a solid FF TE, maybe not this year but his situation is hard to ignore.
I still think Bostick is the best receiving TE on the team. Despite getting a lot of playing time, Rodgers only has 1 catch for 10 yards in two games and looks primarily like a blocking TE to me.
blocking TE? most people in here said he sucks at blocking, he started both pre-season games. and wasnt on the field much once the starters left.

and a guy with 7 career catches is the best pass catching TE on the team?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Richard Rodgers - TE - Packers

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky says third-round TE Richard Rodgers "may have quietly taken control of the starting job."

Rodgers has started each of the Packers' preseason games, and played the entire opening series on Saturday night as Aaron Rodgers went no-huddle. However, he has just one catch for 10 yards on 30 snaps. The underwhelming Cal product is going to be buried on the target totem pole even if he is the "starter."

Related: Brandon Bostick, Andrew Quarless

Source: ESPN.com Aug 18 - 11:33 AM
lmfao roto world being rotoworld on that one. Hes gonna be a solid FF TE, maybe not this year but his situation is hard to ignore.
I still think Bostick is the best receiving TE on the team. Despite getting a lot of playing time, Rodgers only has 1 catch for 10 yards in two games and looks primarily like a blocking TE to me.
blocking TE? most people in here said he sucks at blocking, he started both pre-season games. and wasnt on the field much once the starters left.

Yes. Was Jordan Cameron not the best passing catching TE on the team despite on 26 catches his first two years?

When I call him a blocking TE I'm not saying that's all he can do but he's more of a traditional TE than Bostick. He's an all-around guy who could be a borderline TE1 in GB if he's the starter but I don't think he's has the talent to be a stud fantasy TE.

blocking TE? most people in here said he sucks at blocking, he started both pre-season games, and wasnt on the field much once the starters left.

You might want to rethink this line of reasoning. Julius Thomas had one career reception prior to last season... one.

Yes. Was Jordan Cameron not the best passing catching TE on the team despite on 26 catches his first two years?

When I call him a blocking TE I'm not saying that's all he can do but he's more of a traditional TE than Bostick. He's an all-around guy who could be a borderline TE1 in GB if he's the starter but I don't think he's has the talent to be a stud fantasy TE.
According to Mike McCarthy and most who cover the Packers, in addition to being the most athletic TE on the roster, Bostick is also the best blocker among the TE's.

so Bostick = Julius Thomas now?

Bostick was a UDFA, and the packers thought so much of him, they spent a 3rd round pick on R.Rodgers?

sometimes you guys make this stuff too hard.

Follow the money & investment

Bostick was a UDFA, and the packers thought so much of him, they spent a 3rd round pick on R.Rodgers?

Relax... No one said Bostick = Julius Thomas. The point was your evaluation based on the # of career catches is obviously flawed.I'm not even arguing Bostick is a better prospect than Rodgers (although athletically I believe he is). But if Bostick can't stay healthy, it won't matter... I think Green Bay will rotate their tight ends (Quarless as well) leaving none of them with consistent value.

Relax... No one said Bostick = Julius Thomas. The point was your evaluation based on the # of career catches is obviously flawed.I'm not even arguing Bostick is a better prospect than Rodgers (although athletically I believe he is). But if Bostick can't stay healthy, it won't matter... I think Green Bay will rotate their tight ends (Quarless as well) leaving none of them with consistent value.
I dont think looking at Bosticks production last year is flawed at all, Finley was out most of the season, so he certainly had the opportunity to play. Granted alot of it was with Tolzien/Flynn and not Aaron but he should of done better than 7 catches with his opportunity

Im looking at R.Rodgers more from a dynasty perspective as the guy to own in GB.

I agree that none of them are rosterable in re-draft early in the season until we see some production on the field and their usage

The Packers have been preparing rookie third-round pick Richard Rodgers for the starting job -- he opened each of the first two preseason games with the No. 1 offense -- but Bostick is a big part of their plans, too. He has taken many of the first-team reps in the two-minute drill throughout training camp. He has the big-play ability the Packers lose without Jermichael Finley. Of all the tight ends on the roster, Bostick most resembles Finley in terms of size and athleticism.

I dont think looking at Bosticks production last year is flawed at all, Finley was out most of the season, so he certainly had the opportunity to play. Granted alot of it was with Tolzien/Flynn and not Aaron but he should of done better than 7 catches with his opportunity

Im looking at R.Rodgers more from a dynasty perspective as the guy to own in GB.

I agree that none of them are rosterable in re-draft early in the season until we see some production on the field and their usage
Disagree. I think Rodgers is rosterable as a late-pick flyer. Totally worth the gamble. Try to get him after he goes for 5-70-1. If he does nothing after 4 weeks, consider cutting him.

The price in dynasty will be through the roof IF he has any double digit scoring game early on.

Brandon Bostick - TE - Packers

Packers TE Brandon Bostick (leg) has been diagnosed with "slight fibula fracture," and could return as early as Week 2.

However, Bostick could "be out even longer." He suffered the injury in last Saturday's preseason game. Rookie Richard Rodgers will begin the season as the Packers' "move" tight end, but Bostick could supplant him upon his return.

Source: Bob McGinn on Twitter Aug 21 - 11:37 PM

Richard Rogers - Starting TE for the Green Bay Packers!!!

Rotoworld:

The Green Bay Press-Gazette calls TE Richard Rodgers a "disaster" in the run game.

Perhaps the Packers could live with Rodgers' run-blocking woes if he was contributing in the pass game. But he has zero catches on one target through three games, losing snaps to Andrew Quarless in the process. Jermichael Finley's old spot has turned into a fantasy black hole.

Related: Andrew Quarless

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Sep 23 - 10:41 AM

He appears to suck.
Seriously? He's a rookie TE. Most barely see the field.

Ebron has 3 catches. Amaro has 6. ASJ has 1.

Antonio Gates had the exact same stat line as Rodgers does at the same point of their careers.

I'm not saying the kid is going to be great or anything. Saying he sucks 3 games into his pro career though, especially at a position that is known to take at least a year to learn, is extremely shortsighted.

Eh...It isn't so much about him sucking as the Packers not having another guy who doesn't suck to start. They've neglected the position for years. It's not really Rodgers' fault, but the fact remains that he suck RIGHT NOW and they don't have anyone better to keep him on the bench.

Special? He's not even in the top 5 TEs in his division. Meanwhile teams keep pulling guys like John Carlson, Martellus Bennett, and Owen Daniels out of free agency every year. No bank breakers, but solid players nonetheless. Solid would be a massive upgrade.

He appears to suck.
Seriously? He's a rookie TE. Most barely see the field. Ebron has 3 catches. Amaro has 6. ASJ has 1.

Antonio Gates had the exact same stat line as Rodgers does at the same point of their careers.

I'm not saying the kid is going to be great or anything. Saying he sucks 3 games into his pro career though, especially at a position that is known to take at least a year to learn, is extremely shortsighted.
Rodgers also got a neck injury in game 1 and missed most of the game. I don't know how many snaps he's been on in the other two, but it's hard to say anything about his skills at the pro level at this point.

He appears to suck.
Seriously? He's a rookie TE. Most barely see the field. Ebron has 3 catches. Amaro has 6. ASJ has 1.

Rodgers also got a neck injury in game 1 and missed most of the game. I don't know how many snaps he's been on in the other two, but it's hard to say anything about his skills at the pro level at this point.
Look at Finelys rookie year stats... People were calling him a bust. He turned out ok.I'm not one to judge rookies on their first year in the league, much less first 3 games

Packers have OL issues. You really think they'll put another inexperienced player on the line to protect A-A-Ron Rodgers?

My view of the Saints game: Jordy Nelson was shut down so the Pack turned to Lacy and RRodgers as outlets.

Any countering views or any sense that RR could be stepping into a new role?

My view of the Saints game: Jordy Nelson was shut down so the Pack turned to Lacy and RRodgers as outlets.

Any countering views or any sense that RR could be stepping into a new role?
Aaron Rodgers talks about trust quite a bit on his radio show. He's mentioned Davante Adams quite a bit, and I get the sense that Adams has now gotten to a place where Rodgers trusts him to be in the right place when the ball is thrown. I have not heard much talk about Richard Rodgers in that light. Aaron Rodgers says frequently that you have to show it on the practice field if you are going to get targeted in the games. My guess is that Richard Rodgers, like most rookie TEs, just isn't where he needs to be yet in this offense. TEs have one of the bigger learning curves as they need to learn blocking schemes as well as route running.

I guess I'd sum it up by saying last weeks targets to Rodgers were likely an aberration rather than a trend.

Rotoworld:

Richard Rodgers caught 4-of-5 targets for 35 yards in the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss.
Rodgers' five looks were four more than Andrew Quarless drew. A third-round pick, Rodgers spent his rookie year rotating snaps with Quarless, but showed some promise as a possession-type pass catcher. Rodgers lacks high-end athleticism, but has decent size (6-foot-4, 257) and hands. Playing with Aaron Rodgers keeps Richard on the dynasty-league radar as a TE2.

Jan 18 - 7:35 PM

Re-drafting the 2014 tight end class

Excerpt:

Richard Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Rodgers caught my eye by winning his share of one-on-one battles downfield. He's no burner, but Rodgers was more impressive than Amaro in a handful of games.

It certainly helps to have Aaron Rodgers serving up picture-perfect throws. The third-rounder earned his quarterback's trust down the stretch, making 17 of his 20 catches over the final half of the season. I was impressed with his 32-yard touchdown haul against New England in Week 13, a play that saw him outduel safety Patrick Chung at the goal line. He made another nice scoring grab in traffic to seal Green Bay's playoff win over Dallas.

Final analysis: With just one drop in 21 catchable balls, Rodgers gives the Packers an interesting developmental player alongside Andrew Quarless. I won't predict more than 45 grabs in this weapons-rich offense, but Rodgers should see more work this autumn.

Re-drafting the 2014 tight end class

Excerpt:

Richard Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Rodgers caught my eye by winning his share of one-on-one battles downfield. He's no burner, but Rodgers was more impressive than Amaro in a handful of games.

It certainly helps to have Aaron Rodgers serving up picture-perfect throws. The third-rounder earned his quarterback's trust down the stretch, making 17 of his 20 catches over the final half of the season. I was impressed with his 32-yard touchdown haul against New England in Week 13, a play that saw him outduel safety Patrick Chung at the goal line. He made another nice scoring grab in traffic to seal Green Bay's playoff win over Dallas.

Final analysis: With just one drop in 21 catchable balls, Rodgers gives the Packers an interesting developmental player alongside Andrew Quarless. I won't predict more than 45 grabs in this weapons-rich offense, but Rodgers should see more work this autumn.
I agree. In camp he looked good and has developed better than Finley did year one.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky said Green Bay is planning a "significant role in the passing game" for second-year TE Richard Rodgers.

This "plan" was in the works even before Andrew Quarless was arrested for firing a gun in public last week. Rodgers played fewer snaps than Quarless in 2014, but the pair basically split snaps down the stretch and in the playoffs. The Packers appear ready to keep Quarless around despite his legal issues, but Rodgers could seize the job with a strong training camp.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 11 - 9:08 AM

I keep hearing Gresham names being thrown out there by media and fans, but do they have room for him on the final roster? I think they are going to stand by Qaurless and keep him around. You have Qaurless and Rodgers as locks on the roster and the rookie TE Backman likely isn't going anywhere unless he is a total bust in camp.

Rotoworld:

Richard Rodgers is listed as the No. 1 tight end on the Packers' first depth chart of training camp.

It's notable because Rodgers played behind Andrew Quarless last year, handling about 500 regular season snaps to Quarless' roughly 650. Rodgers is an atrocious blocker, but it's possible the Packers are expecting him to become closer to a full-time player this year. Ultimately, the Packers' tight end position may prove in-season fool's gold, but it's still worth monitoring with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. Richard currently has an undrafted ADP.

Aug 9 - 12:34 PM

Rotoworld:

Packers TE Richard Rodgers has been a "frequent target" for Aaron Rodgers in the red zone at training camp.

Beat writer Rob Demovsky nominates the second-year tight end as his "breakout fantasy player" from the Packers. Rodgers split time with Andrew Quarless last season, playing 543 snaps to Quarless' 715. But Quarless is an inline player, while Rodgers is a bit more athletic and was eaten alive as a blocker. We doubt Rodgers sees more than 50 targets, but he could score a handful of TDs.

Aug 14 - 10:20 AM

Rotoworld:

Packers TE Richard Rodgers has been a "frequent target" for Aaron Rodgers in the red zone at training camp.

Beat writer Rob Demovsky nominates the second-year tight end as his "breakout fantasy player" from the Packers. Rodgers split time with Andrew Quarless last season, playing 543 snaps to Quarless' 715. But Quarless is an inline player, while Rodgers is a bit more athletic and was eaten alive as a blocker. We doubt Rodgers sees more than 50 targets, but he could score a handful of TDs.

Aug 14 - 10:20 AM
I'll take the over on both the 50 and the handful.

Rotoworld:

Richard Rodgers caught three passes for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' second preseason game.

All of Rodgers targets were delivered by backup quarterback Scott Tolzien, but he did play with the first-team offense. Rodgers showed soft hands making a leaping grab on a poor throw by Tolzien on the touchdown and showed some athleticism to get his body turned and dive into the end zone. Coach Mike McCarthy talked up Rodgers' ability in the red zone earlier this week, and with Jordy Nelson (torn ACL) likely done for the year, Rodgers could be in line for more red-zone looks. He will not be consistent enough to be a regular starter, but he could have some streaming value.

Aug 23 - 3:55 PM

Rotoworld:

Richard Rodgers caught three passes for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' second preseason game.

All of Rodgers targets were delivered by backup quarterback Scott Tolzien, but he did play with the first-team offense. Rodgers showed soft hands making a leaping grab on a poor throw by Tolzien on the touchdown and showed some athleticism to get his body turned and dive into the end zone. Coach Mike McCarthy talked up Rodgers' ability in the red zone earlier this week, and with Jordy Nelson (torn ACL) likely done for the year, Rodgers could be in line for more red-zone looks. He will not be consistent enough to be a regular starter, but he could have some streaming value.

Aug 23 - 3:55 PM
I gotta say with Nelsons' injury, I dunno about Rodgers only offering "some streaming value." Jordy had 151 targets last year. There's some real rumblings from the beat guys that cover the team about Rodgers this year. Better blocking, more confident in his role, soft hands, decent athleticism. Given health, he's going to be the starting TE playing a lot in a prolific offense. I'll be surprised if he's not one of the top 12 TEs this year.

If Aaron Rodgers is going to throw 45 TDs this year, and you give 25 of those to Cobb and Adams, where do you suppose the other 20 are going? I'd pencil him in for 65/750/7.

flapgreen said:
That dude isn't going to be top 12
Just staying healthy could land him in the top 12...there are only a few elite guys and seems like the end of the top 10 and down is pretty close.

Im not sure I see it either...but don't think its that hard to do.

Rodgers is currently TE13 in ppr leagues and trending upwards (snaps, targets, receptions). Of course, a lot of that has to do with injuries to Quarless and Jordy/Davante, but still ....

So is he emerging? Even if you take away the Hail Mary, he had 7 for 85 and has been pretty good in red zone all year. People who said McCarthy doesn't use TE well were right but I'm sort of wondering with the failure of Adams if ARodge won't lean on Rodgers more continuously.

Users who are viewing this thread