What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2015 Draft Prospects (1 Viewer)

Depends on who declares. My tentative ranking of the draft-eligible guys:

Amari Cooper, Alabama

Devin Funchess, Michigan

Ty Montgomery, Stanford
Tyreek Hill, Oklahoma State
Stefon Diggs, Maryland
Devante Parker, Louisville
Dorial Green-Beckham, ???

Travin Dural, LSU

I think Montgomery is the best WR prospect on the West Coast at least. Draft Scout has him as the #1 senior WR ahead of Parker, Strong, and White. There's a good piece on him at NFL.com right now that has some video highlights and some quotes from Phil Savage, who says he's a likely first round pick. He will go high in the draft because of his production, size, speed, and return value. Can't see him falling past the mid 2nd.

Dural is a monster on vertical routes. Not sure about the other aspects of his game. He's skinny and his lateral movement doesn't look great. He's only a redshirt sophomore and could be unlikely to declare for that reason, but LSU guys usually chase the money and if he continues his pace then he'll be on the radar as a possible day 1-2 pick.

Rotoworld:

A Blake Bortles type "emergence" could happen for Michigan State junior QB Connor Cook, according to NFL Media's Albert Breer.

"Last year, Blake Bortles' emergence as an elite QB prospect seemed sudden. Could happen again. Keep an eye on Michigan State's Connor Cook," Breer tweeted. Rotoworld's Josh Norris has ranked Cook as the No. 3 passer in this class since the summer, however, Cook has a major flaw of not handling the pocket appropriately when pressured. He has to improve in that area.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
Oct 4 - 11:14 AM

Good call on Strong, forgot about him somehow.
I really like him. He does seem to be o forgotten man in the WRs group for some reason. Not a spectacular athlete but has good WR skills and great size.
That's because 2015 is a very strong WR class, maybe even stronger than 2014 and it's been one of the best we've seen in years.
Yeah, starting to feel more and more like that as I continue to look over the prospects.

Gurley and Gordon tearing it up again today. Nothing new.
Both have climbed in the top ten in rushing, ranked #7 and #8 respectfully but only two yds separate the two.

Gordon clearly having a better day and may separate himself further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurley and Gordon tearing it up again today. Nothing new.
Both have climbed in the top ten in rushing, ranked #7 and #8 respectfully but only two yds separate the two.
i can't get over how many tackles Gurley breaks. He's had like 20+ broken tackles today I'm guessing.
I've seen him compare to at least five different running backs. At first I wondered why that was............then it dawned on me as I watch him play...........I've yet to see a back like him that's why it's so hard to peg him and he does things so effortlessly it just baffles me when there's 8 in the box clearly to stop him and no one can.

Kevin White putting on another show. EBF, why isn't he in your top-8? I'm guessing you haven't gotten to check him out much yet.

Just curious... Do FBGers think the 2015 draft will be one of the strongest in the last several years? If so the time to acquire 1st round picks in dynasty leagues is right now. To me, it seems like the RB class is superior by a wide margin this year versus years past.

If White isn't in you're top 5 by now your just not paying attention to him. Dude is for real.
Yup. Less than a week ago I traded Stefon Diggs, T.J. Yeldon, and Bryce Brown for the 2015 1.01 in a devy league. Kevin White is who I have in mind for that pick right now.

Just curious... Do FBGers think the 2015 draft will be one of the strongest in the last several years? If so the time to acquire 1st round picks in dynasty leagues is right now. To me, it seems like the RB class is superior by a wide margin this year versus years past.
The RB class is unreal. Could be 2008 again. The WR class is super underrated, I think it's more top-heavy than last years class but will turn out to be nearly as deep.

Kevin White putting on another show. EBF, why isn't he in your top-8? I'm guessing you haven't gotten to check him out much yet.
Wrote about him in my column a couple weeks ago. It's behind a paywall, but the link is here if you have a Scout.com subscription:

http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1456957-week-4-cfb-watch-bruising-running-backs?s=73

I've spent most of my energy on RBs this year and that's where my watch list is most comprehensive. Not all of the late-risers at WR are on my .txt file on my computer just yet. I wouldn't object to White in the top 5 receivers. I think Funchess and Cooper have a pretty good shout for the first round. I think Tyreek Hill has a good chance to be a first round pick when you look at the total package. Guys with 9.9x speed in the 100m don't grow on trees and unlike most track stars he can actually play football. Is a he a WR though or a RB? He's somewhere in the middle of Woodhead, Tavon, and Cooks, so you could consider him a RB if you're so inclined.

After that it's more open. I think the other guys mostly have issues of some sort. I like Montgomery, but not as a go-to #1 WR. More as a complementary target. Drops issue popped up again today, he doesn't have a big catch radius, and he's a bit stiff and deliberate overall. I like Diggs, but his size could drop him down ala Marqise Lee and he's having a somewhat quiet season. He also probably isn't a #1 WR in the NFL. Dural is intriguing. Can he do more than run a fly route? That is a question mark. He has legit track speed and good height though. Goodley is kind of a similar proposition, but with a different body type. Strong as an ox and good in a straight line. Suspect separation/route ability. I like agile receivers above all, so that's a sticking point. If you can't separate out of your plant and you're not Kelvin Benjamin's size, I think you're going to have trouble at WR in the NFL.

As for White, people compare him to Larry Fitz because of his listed height and dreads. To me he doesn't look that big or strong and is more comparable to Roddy White, which would still be a good outcome. Combo WR with a good sampling of both height and speed. Also has good jump ball skills. I'm less sure of his overall route running, but in the clips I've seen he has shown good flashes of being able to break down, redirect, and instantly accelerate. First round could be in play for him, so yea he's also a name worth mentioning. Wouldn't say he's an elite Larry Fitzgerald type of prospect just yet though. I suspect when he's actually measured we'll find that he's not actually the 6'3" 210 he's listed at, but that can be hard to predict. Roddy White was 6'1 1/4" 207 at his combine. If you put Kevin White between him and Fitz, that sounds about right. Maybe 6'2" 215 or so.

Personally, I've been praising his skills for weeks. When I watch him I can see him as the #1 WR.

YES!!!!! AND IT'S NOT CLOSE!

I already have Funchess, Cooper, Duke Williams (Auburn) and Gurley. I'm trying to get more picks.

YES!!!!! AND IT'S NOT CLOSE!I already have Funchess, Cooper, Duke Williams (Auburn) and Gurley. I'm trying to get more picks.
That's a great haul. Better hope Funchess plays TE though. :wink:

YES!!!!! AND IT'S NOT CLOSE!I already have Funchess, Cooper, Duke Williams (Auburn) and Gurley. I'm trying to get more picks.
LOL, actually I do wish he does play TE in the NFL. I think he has the tools to be just as good if not better than Gronk!

No way. I'm definitely In the camp that Funchess is more Alshon Jeffery than Jimmy Graham.

No way. I'm definitely In the camp that Funchess is more Alshon Jeffery than Jimmy Graham.
Just curious, what part of his game would make you think so?

He's more unicorn if you know what I mean.

Strong putting on a show vs. SC.
Honestly, He's put on a show every game so far. The problem is he's the only difference maker on the team.
I really liked his tools last year but was wary because I didn't think he used his size to his advantage enough when the ball was in the air.

He's doing that this year, though.

This WR class could be ridiculous.

So many prospects who have prototypical #1 WR size (and measurables hopefully) that are producing and putting it all together...

Strong putting on a show vs. SC.
Honestly, He's put on a show every game so far. The problem is he's the only difference maker on the team.
I really liked his tools last year but was wary because I didn't think he used his size to his advantage enough when the ball was in the air.He's doing that this year, though.

This WR class could be ridiculous.

So many prospects who have prototypical #1 WR size (and measurables hopefully) that are producing and putting it all together...
Tier 1 and 2 will be deeper than any class the last decade.

Just curious, what part of his game would make you think so?
He's athletic and agile for his size. After the catch he moves like a much smaller WR but when the ball's in the air he can go up for it. Just reminds me so much of Alshon in the NFL so far, I have a hard time seeing him getting drafted as a WR. He looks good at his current weight and adding more to be more like a prototypical TE would just hurt him--he's not going to throw a useful block anyways, so he might as well stay slim and looking like a WR and play that same role, outside, in the slot, wherever.

The TE/WR distinction is becoming more of a technicality these days, but he just reminds me more of a guy like Alshon than any TE.

Okay, I see what you are saying. I guess I just don't think he needs to gain weight to play TE. I believe he can play at his current weight.

Okay, I see what you are saying. I guess I just don't think he needs to gain weight to play TE. I believe he can play at his current weight.
He's listed at 6'5", 230. He's plenty big enough to play TE if that's accurate. He could probably add a few pounds to his frame with out compromising his athletic ability as well. I think he could easily play at 235.

He's listed at 6'5", 230. He's plenty big enough to play TE if that's accurate. He could probably add a few pounds to his frame with out compromising his athletic ability as well. I think he could easily play at 235.
Agree, 5lbs at his height is nothing.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him measure in at 6'4"-6'5" and 220 by the time the combine gets here, he's got much more of a long WR body than big TE body, even in today's NFL. Plus he'll want to time as quickly as possible.You guys could be right, and I'll agree that he CAN play that flex TE role like Graham does.

But I don't see the point when he can line up outside at WR as a prototypical #1 target, and that's a more valuable position for most teams and harder to truly fill with a talented player.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him measure in at 6'4"-6'5" and 220 by the time the combine gets here, he's got much more of a long WR body than big TE body, even in today's NFL. Plus he'll want to time as quickly as possible.You guys could be right, and I'll agree that he CAN play that flex TE role like Graham does.

But I don't see the point when he can line up outside at WR as a prototypical #1 target, and that's a more valuable position for most teams and harder to truly fill with a talented player.
It will come down to his advisors, agent, coaches and what scouts tell him I'm sure. He may lose weight if he makes a run at WR or he may add it if he focuses on TE. I'm not sure, either. I'd prefer him at TE is all.

He's a horrible blocker and has no base strength. They can call him a "TE" if they want, but he won't be doing anything besides catching passes.

The difference between Graham and Funchess is that Graham theoretically could block. He weighs 260 pounds and is plenty athletic. He's just too valuable as a receiver to use in that capacity. Funchess, on the other hand, couldn't block even if he wanted to. He will be a "pass catcher" in the NFL, whether he's nominally a TE or a WR. I don't see him "growing into" a full-time TE role in the sense of becoming a formidable in-line blocker though.

Graham can't really block. Blame that on his ability elsewhere if you want but he is a bellow average blocker and has been his entire career. It's why Gronk, when healthy, is considered the best TE in the game outside of fantasy world.

The NFL has evolved to where TEs don't even "need" to block well though. If you can create mismatches and make plays in the passing game you are extremely valuable. Funchess can do that.

Graham can't really block. Blame that on his ability elsewhere if you want but he is a bellow average blocker and has been his entire career. It's why Gronk, when healthy, is considered the best TE in the game outside of fantasy world.

The NFL has evolved to where TEs don't even "need" to block well though. If you can create mismatches and make plays in the passing game you are extremely valuable. Funchess can do that.
Totally agree, as a pass catching TE in the NFL he doesn't need to be an expert in blocking. The position has changed, he has the potential to be a problem and a serious mismatch at the next level. I would gather see a slower LB try to cover him.

Is a TE who can't block really a TE? I see guys like Jordan Reed and Ladarius Green as basically being WRs in everything but name. Whether Funchess is called a WR or a TE by the team that drafts him, I think his role is going to overwhelmingly be as a pass catcher, so all that really matters is evaluating his receiving skills. I would say the whole "TE or WR?" discussion is pointless if not for the fact that the positional designation has relevance for FF leagues.

It will come down to his advisors, agent, coaches and what scouts tell him I'm sure. He may lose weight if he makes a run at WR or he may add it if he focuses on TE. I'm not sure, either. I'd prefer him at TE is all.
If his agent is smart, he'll be a WR so he can make more money on his 2nd contract.

If his agent is smart, he'll be a WR so he can make more money on his 2nd contract.
If his agent is smart he'll be a TE so he can get a contract.

Users who are viewing this thread