What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Robert Turbin RB (1 Viewer)

eaglezzz

His whole college career he has been underrated in my opinion playing for small school Utah State, Missing all of 2010 with a busted knee, then coming back in 2011 to score 23 TD's and averaging 6.1 yds a carry. He then tore up the NFL Combine, and after a little buzz for a day or two people seemed to think it was somewhat of a fluke.

I live in Utah and the Aggies get no love with the Utes and BYU close by, but when ever I could get a chance to watch the Aggies, Turbin always impressed me and I always thought he had the skills to be an everydown RB in the NFL. I actually think the Seahawks is a perfect landing spot for him. Lynch just had his career year and got his money, two years from now he is on his downhill slope and in comes Turbin ready to contribute as an every down RB.

I am seeing him be drafted in the 30-40 pick range in rookie drafts which is crazy to me. I like him around the 20th overall spot in rookie drafts, and is worth even considering taking him ahead of the likes of L. James, L. Miller.

Any other opinions on Turbin???

I don't claim to know a ton about him, but he was drafted at 2.04 (16th overall) in my league. I was a bit surprised with this and thought he'd be more of a 3rd rd pick in the league. I'm intrigued by him and will be interested to hear what folks think about him.

The only thing I've gathered about him is that his former teammate, Michael Smith, might end up being a better pro than him. I don't know much...

Smith is good and could be a diamond in the rough, but I don't see him as an every down RB in the NFL, I think he will be a decent NFL player but only as a fill in and commitee back, and maybe short yardage opportunities. Turbin on the other hand actually resembles Lynch and has a little Michael Turner in him, seems to be able to handle the bulk of the carries and never slows down through out the game

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's overrated and a case of rookie RB overdrafting. He isn't decisive with hitting the hole and he seems to have poor to average vision

I think he's overrated and a case of rookie RB overdrafting. He isn't decisive with hitting the hole and he seems to have poor to average vision
I agree that he has some weaknesses but he's certainly worth a late 2nd round rookie pick to take as a project based on his size, speed and toughness. Also, typically notable RBs such as Boom Herron and Vick Ballard. If you don't take him, there isn't much left out there to take.

As a Marshawn owner, I am intrigued by him. Going to offer a 2013 2nd rounder. Or perhaps Josh Gordon straight up (but I feel I'm giving value away doing that).

I think there are just a lot of us that don't know him Eagle.

I always like hearing from the "locals" and people that follow the teams that aren't broadcast on our TVs, ad naseum, each week. Let's face it; its easy to have a lot of people give opinions about a guy like richardson because he's hyped up and he plays for a perennial national contender. And him being productive doesn't hurt a bit either.

But with a guy like Turbin, the number of people that have actually watched him play a solid number of meaningful games in various situations is a LOT smaller.

He definitely looks the part, has the physical stats, etc. Its good to hear some guys speak up about him.

Not really sure what to make of the guy (like him, but there are lots of question marks), but considering how cheap he is and the general lack of anything behind Lynch at the very least it makes sense to pick him up as the cuff if you own Marshawn.

Not really sure what to make of the guy (like him, but there are lots of question marks), but considering how cheap he is and the general lack of anything behind Lynch at the very least it makes sense to pick him up as the cuff if you own Marshawn.
I have an owner holding him hostage on me right now (I own Lynch). I'm not falling over myself for him. I'd be more impressed with Bryce Brown or Polk landing there.

I like him, but he wont play until he can pick up the blitz. It plagued him in college and according to carroll he still hasnt figured it out.

just too much of a liability to have on th3e field right now. Undeniable talent, but even if Lynch should go down, he still not be the play Not now anyway, but hopdefully his time will come..

I like Turbin and I think he can be a big surprise if he can get some carries. I don't see him having the durability needed for a long career as a starter, but he has the talent to thrive. He looks more like an NFL starter than Ronnie Hillman, Isaiah Pead, and LaMichael James.

I think there are just a lot of us that don't know him Eagle. I always like hearing from the "locals" and people that follow the teams that aren't broadcast on our TVs, ad naseum, each week. Let's face it; its easy to have a lot of people give opinions about a guy like richardson because he's hyped up and he plays for a perennial national contender. And him being productive doesn't hurt a bit either. But with a guy like Turbin, the number of people that have actually watched him play a solid number of meaningful games in various situations is a LOT smaller.He definitely looks the part, has the physical stats, etc. Its good to hear some guys speak up about him.
Well put...this is why I personally, leave the initial scouting to the "experts". I don't need someone to enlighten me on MJD, for example (though I will weigh their opinion), but when it comes to the rookies, I just don't know them. I take my hat off to guys that do, because they are analyzing guys who are on the 97th best college team in the country, but frankly, I just have the time/patience to do that.I like Turbin from the perspective that (1) I don't believe in Lynch as an elite commodity and (2) I don't see much competition (i.e. depth) in that particular backfield.

Turbin to me is worth a 2nd round pick. Of course he is a sit and wait prospect but the guy has the ability to be a lead back on an NFL team. Think of Michael Turner in his prime but also has the ability to showcase some moves and is shifty. He is being viewed more as a thumper and depth player but that is not the case. The guy can wear down a defense and find the endzone.

The guy was an after thought here in Utah with the Utes and Cougars all stealing the news headlines but anyone familar with the Aggies know that he was by far the best back in the State.

It will be hard for Turbin to get a shot this year or next with Lynch there but if Lynch ever goes down I think Turbin is a solid fill in, and is a must own for Lynch owners as a handcuff. Dynasty formats he is a buy low and stash away.

Love Turbin the potential player, but the situation is very poor. Bottom-low tier offense and they just signed Lynch to a big contract. Without a significant injury to Lynch, it will take at least three years for Turbin to be startable in fantasy. Most of my leagues have 20-22 roster spots and guys like Jared Cook and Joe Flacco can really hurt your ability to play the waiver wire.

I loved his production coming off the acl. Only game I watched was their bowl game, and both he and michael smith looked good.....i think it was vs ohio, and i know ohio is not great but turbin has the nfl rb build.

Keeps his legs churning on contact. I think the shark move is to snag him cheaply in a year or so when an impatient owner deals him or cuts him.

Man that lynch contract looks bad. They are stuck with him for at least 3 years or theyre gonna eat some pretty big cap money. In this NFL i just dont get it, but its surely a long term issue with his backups in dynasty.

Bump Turbin
Cedric Benson is still walking around. I would not expect Seattle to just roll with Turbin for however many weeks Lynch is out. They already have a possible 1st year starter under Center, can't have a rookie out there 24/7 in the backfield. And I understand you're not implying that would be the case but I would not be surprised when Lynch is suspended if Seattle didn't bring someone else in.

Turbin already moving towards the top of the 2nd. The way second tier rbs have been jockying wouldnt be surprised to see him pop up in first rounds replacing hillman as flavor of the week.

I'm guessing with the Lynch news, Turbin will take a bump in draft spots?

Eagelzzz, thanks for the post on him. I hadn't really given him any thought until yesterday but took your thoughts, looked around some, and picked Turbin up in a league where we have already drafted rookies.

So we get to see if the Seahawks believe in Turbin and give him a chance to be the starter if (or When) Lynch gets suspended. Great opportunity for Turbin to get an early chance to show off his game. If he falls on his face it will be a rough way to start his career but I think he can hold his own even as a rookie. Maybe instead of Skittles Turbin will be supporting Starburst.

I am also interested to see if Seattle gives Leon Washington the starting gig in Lynch's absense. They may not want to throw Turbin in right away, but if they need a 20 carry a game back to open the season I think Turbin is the way to go.

So we get to see if the Seahawks believe in Turbin and give him a chance to be the starter if (or When) Lynch gets suspended. Great opportunity for Turbin to get an early chance to show off his game. If he falls on his face it will be a rough way to start his career but I think he can hold his own even as a rookie. Maybe instead of Skittles Turbin will be supporting Starburst.I am also interested to see if Seattle gives Leon Washington the starting gig in Lynch's absense. They may not want to throw Turbin in right away, but if they need a 20 carry a game back to open the season I think Turbin is the way to go.
There may be another player in the mix by training camp as well. I highly doubt they head into camp with only 3 backs on the roster. And at running back, unheralded guys can shine quickly. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bump Turbin
Cedric Benson is still walking around. I would not expect Seattle to just roll with Turbin for however many weeks Lynch is out. They already have a possible 1st year starter under Center, can't have a rookie out there 24/7 in the backfield. And I understand you're not implying that would be the case but I would not be surprised when Lynch is suspended if Seattle didn't bring someone else in.
Benson also a DUI type risk...don't think they do it. SEA prefers cleaner players.

At the risk of sounding like a shill, I have to say that this is exactly what Matt Waldman's RSP is for. He has a good writeup and it fairly closely echoes one poster's read on Turbin. I won't say who that is or what the assessment is out of respect for our hosts.

Well put...this is why I personally, leave the initial scouting to the "experts". I don't need someone to enlighten me on MJD, for example (though I will weigh their opinion), but when it comes to the rookies, I just don't know them. I take my hat off to guys that do, because they are analyzing guys who are on the 97th best college team in the country, but frankly, I just have the time/patience to do that.I like Turbin from the perspective that (1) I don't believe in Lynch as an elite commodity and (2) I don't see much competition (i.e. depth) in that particular backfield.

hmmmmmm... i have Doug Martin and am seriously considering dropping Blount (my handcuff) to pickup Turbin... :confused:
I wouldn't do that. Not nearly enough information out right now to make decisions like that. We don't know if he'll be charged, suspended, or for how long. Marshawn Lynch might not miss time. Turbin might not matter in his absence. Martin might now win the full time job. I'd pumped the brakes on that move personally.

'Black said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
'cobalt_27 said:
Bump Turbin
Benson also a DUI type risk...don't think they do it. SEA prefers cleaner players.
That's the Ruskell Era Seahawks, not the current administration. What a Dumas. Not a single bit of bad press about him since joining the Hawks. Hopefully this is a scared straight moment for him. If it's a 3 game suspension, it's gotta be more costly money-wise than the first one so maybe it'll sink in more. This is a great chance for Turbin to shine. If I was him I'd never leave the film room (or the offseason equivalent) when I wasn't out practicing so I could learn the pass pro pickups.

I could see Seattle standing firm and roll with Turbin. They also have Tyrell Sutton who has flashed in Carolina, but was out of football for a year. I know there were many people that thought he would land a gig after he was released. Kregg Lumpkin has looked serviceable as well.

I will bang the drum all day long for Turbin... With or without a suspension to Lynch. He is an ideal back to own in Dynasty leagues where you can afford to let him collect dust until 2-3 years down the road. But in the case with a Lynch suspension his value will now increase and he will be a harder commodity to buy low on.

Much like others, after Lynch's story broke, I went to the next guy in line and that will be Turbin when/if it happens.

Here is what I noticed from doing some watching of highlights (yes, it's called a highlight reel for a reason, I know).

He has good speed running a 4.5 40 at the combine if memory serves. He has very good size at 5'10" 220lbs and has very good hands for a runner his size. There were several catches not just in the flats but down field for TD's. The other thing I noticed right off was his ability to get low to the ground when making contact against first line of defense. He's a big load, with nice speed, and gets low the ground, those are huge factors when trying to bring a RB down.

I also noticed his ability to break tackles, I noticed several instances of making good YAC.

I think if Lynch is suspended for a length of time Turbin will get his shot and if he can translate these attributes to the NFL while learning how to pick up the blitz, he could be a very solid RB producing low end RB2 numbers while in.

I will bang the drum all day long for Turbin... With or without a suspension to Lynch. He is an ideal back to own in Dynasty leagues where you can afford to let him collect dust until 2-3 years down the road. But in the case with a Lynch suspension his value will now increase and he will be a harder commodity to buy low on.
Seeing alot of people in my leagues picking up Sutton and even Lumpkin. I know these guys from their former teams but what's your take on them and their roles in seattle?

Seeing alot of people in my leagues picking up Sutton and even Lumpkin. I know these guys from their former teams but what's your take on them and their roles in seattle?
Both played in Green Bay during camps. Sutton seemed far better.

Sutton is better but hard to see either make a final roster if it wasn't for injuries. I am betting they wish they held onto J. Forsett as a decent filler. I like Turbin/Washington/Sutton/Lumpkin in that order after Lynch

Turbin was a 6th round pick for a multiple reasons. Or 4th, whatever.

Turbin was a 6th round pick for a multiple reasons.
He was actually a 4th round pick. Same round as Marion Barber, who he reminds me of.Also the same round as Darren Sproles, Brandon Jacobs, and Rudi Johnson. 4th round isn't that low for a RB.

He was actually a 4th round pick. Same round as Marion Barber, who he reminds me of.Also the same round as Darren Sproles, Brandon Jacobs, and Rudi Johnson. 4th round isn't that low for a RB.
That it? 4th, 6th, sucsess rate is still low. Far more don't make it than do. Lynch is still the guy to own even if he misses half the season.

That it? 4th, 6th, sucsess rate is still low. Far more don't make it than do. Lynch is still the guy to own even if he misses half the season.
The success rate for any round is low and all have exceptions. As has been mentioned, this guy has the tools and opportunity could be knocking

If I'm going to draft a guy who was a 4th round pick in the NFL draft (I own Turbin in four leagues) I want it to be not only someone I think is a good player, but someone that might have been drafted that late for reasons other than the NFL's evaluation of his talent.

In Turbin's case he played at a lesser school outside a BCS conference and he missed all of the 2010 season. Those things put definitely put a dent in his draft stock, so he's most likely better than most 'safe' fourth round picks even if he might be at higher risk of busting than most players with his talent.

i wish he was from serbia so then i could make his nickname be the turbia from serbia that would be awesome but some dreams are not meant to be i guess rats

for perspective here's a recent deal involving Turbs:

R gave up Baker, Edwin SDC RB;Little, Greg CLE WR;Ausberry, David OAK TE; Year 2013 Round 4 Draft Pick (late)

S gave up Turbin, Robert SEA RB;Childs, Greg MIN WR;Miller, Heath PIT TE; Year 2013 Round 2 Draft Pick (top 3 if not 2.01, but you just never know)

brohans all of these great nickname ideas should go into my thread about making up cool nicknames so that others will remember to post nicknames they come up with that are awesome in that thread thanks getalonggang and keep on taking it to the good idea for nicknames bank

Users who are viewing this thread