What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Moeaki -- KC Chiefs TE (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
I've been grabbing this guy late in a lot of drafts. Costing a 4th rounder to snag and there's a lot of things to like.

--He was taken 93rd overall (4th TE off the board)

--Has essentially no competition for the starting job

--Decent combine

Recent blurb on him:

(Rotoworld) Third-round TE Tony Moeaki "gave the defense fits" at Chiefs minicamp last weekend.

Analysis: Moeaki immediately steps in as a better pass-catching prospect than incumbents Leonard Pope and Brad Cottam. He won't be worth TE1 consideration this season, but it's worth monitoring how the 6'3/245-pounder is used camp.
:moneybag:

No. 1 TE outta high-school, all kinds of talent, had some elite two-way games in college ... but seemingly a walking injury. No actual correlation between them and he's fully healthy now, but you can't deny the significance of what happened in college.

I wouldn't hop on a bandwagon, but I might tail very close behind. :thumbdown:

Lots of talent with an injury bug. The good thing is he's so cheap the injury "risk" isn't really much of a risk at all. I'm pretty high on the guy.

Well, if the Chiefs plan on running a system anything like the recent Patriots or Cardinals, then the TE spot could end up yielding only pedestrian TE numbers. Although Ben Coates put up an uber season with Charlie Weis as his TE coach back in the day (96-1174-7).

Don't forget they traded up to get him.

There's no doubt that he'll be starting in the very near future. The other TEs on the roster are :lmao: . The only question is what type of upside does Moeaki have? Will he be a fringe starter like Scheffler or a star like Witten? Those are two guys who he reminds me of on the field, but he may never be more than a 40 catch for 500 yards guy.

Don't forget they traded up to get him.There's no doubt that he'll be starting in the very near future. The other TEs on the roster are :kicksrock: . The only question is what type of upside does Moeaki have? Will he be a fringe starter like Scheffler or a star like Witten? Those are two guys who he reminds me of on the field, but he may never be more than a 40 catch for 500 yards guy.
So he could be Tony Scheffler. Or he could be Jason Witten. Or he could be a TE who isn't even startable. Got it.FWIW, I don't really have much of an opinion on the guy. He looks good in highlights and is cheap. Couple that with limited competition....and he's worth a flier.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 4 different leagues I have gotten Moeaki as either a 4th round pick (2 leagues) or a $1 auction bid (2 leagues). At those prices I will buy all day. The guy has upside, if he stays healthy he will outproduce his cost for sure.

I can't get too excited about a KC TE. 4 KC TE's combined for just 45/436/3 last year under the new regime.

I can't get too excited about a KC TE. 4 KC TE's combined for just 45/436/3 last year under the new regime.
Which is exactly why they traded up to get this guy.Honestly, he could start as a rookie. Their other options are that bad.

I have no opinion either way on this kid as of now, but . . .Prior to the year Tony Gonzalez showed up, the Chiefs 3 tight ends totaled 41/342/2.

I have no opinion either way on this kid as of now, but . . .Prior to the year Tony Gonzalez showed up, the Chiefs 3 tight ends totaled 41/342/2.
Aren't all positions on all teams usually like that though? Mediocre until you upgrade? I'm not saying Moeaki will light the world on fire, but he should certainly be an upgrade.

Well, they took Cottam 76th overall in 2008, 2 TE's ahead of Finley, and he's caught 16 passes so far. Moeaki may be a better receiver, but a similar injury prone past. And the coaching philosophy doesn't bode well for a TE anyway. Especially with another receiving option now in McCluster, in addition to Charles in there from the beginning. So you've got 4 other receiving options (Bowe, Chambers, Charles, McCluster)

edit: and 5 TE's on the roster currently

To be honest, I hadn't seen much of him and that video was quite impressive. The thing that makes him most attractive is where he landed. KC is a place where the TE position has essentially been vacant since Gonzo left, so Moeaki has a shot to step in to be the starter eventually. Matt Waldman has him ranked as his #9 TE and says the kid has considerable upside. He's definitely one I'll be watching in my rookie drafts.

Well, they took Cottam 76th overall in 2008, 2 TE's ahead of Finley, and he's caught 16 passes so far. Moeaki may be a better receiver, but a similar injury prone past. And the coaching philosophy doesn't bode well for a TE anyway. Especially with another receiving option now in McCluster, in addition to Charles in there from the beginning. So you've got 4 other receiving options (Bowe, Chambers, Charles, McCluster)edit: and 5 TE's on the roster currently
Cottam is really, really bad though. He's totally immobile. Moeaki is definitely the most gifted TE on the roster. Now it's just a matter of finding out what his upside is. A TE only has value in most leagues if he's pushing top 10 status. I'm not sure Moeaki has that ability, but it's possible.

To be honest, I hadn't seen much of him and that video was quite impressive. The thing that makes him most attractive is where he landed. KC is a place where the TE position has essentially been vacant since Gonzo left, so Moeaki has a shot to step in to be the starter eventually. Matt Waldman has him ranked as his #9 TE and says the kid has considerable upside. He's definitely one I'll be watching in my rookie drafts.
Temper that a little. Rate him on his talent and how it translates in this offense. What Gonzo used to do with different teammates in a different system and with a different coaching staff really has nothing to do with what this rookie's prospects are.

"He's in KC! Gonzo put up huge numbers in KC so this could be big!"

Not sure if you are saying that, Davlar, but that seems to be the way a lot of people are looking at it. It's not the same KC even if he's as good as Gonzo was.

Temper that a little. Rate him on his talent and how it translates in this offense. What Gonzo used to do with different teammates in a different system and with a different coaching staff really has nothing to do with what this rookie's prospects are.

Not sure if you are saying that, Davlar, but that seems to be the way a lot of people are looking at it. It's not the same KC even if he's as good as Gonzo was.
I don't think any of us are saying that he could even APPROACH Gonzo's numbers. I don't see anyone jumping up and down proclaiming him the next big thing.But, given the lack of any real talent in front of him, not much after DBowe in the passing game, AND his very low price......he's certainly one to stash and hope he hits.

I think you are misinterpreting everything that's being said here.

Well, my interest is piqued. I'll have to keep my eye on him.

Checking out the video linked in the OP, I noticed that he has decent RAC ability if the defender is not draped all over him as he makes the catch. I also initially thought that he left his feet quite a bit while making routine catches, but after taking a second look I realize that on a lot of those catches he had to adjust to make the catch......either because of defender positioning or because the QB's delivery was not spot on. He didn't seem at all afraid to leave his feet in traffic, so what I thought was a negative can actually be viewed as a positive, in my eyes.

I didn't get to check out his combine stats yet but he seems to have a decent vertical leap also. The one play (at the 1:14-1:16 mark) where he hurdled the defender was pretty awesome. The defender was almost vertical and Moeaki actually got his crotch over top of the guys helmet.

Well, my interest is piqued. I'll have to keep my eye on him.Checking out the video linked in the OP, I noticed that he has decent RAC ability if the defender is not draped all over him as he makes the catch. I also initially thought that he left his feet quite a bit while making routine catches, but after taking a second look I realize that on a lot of those catches he had to adjust to make the catch......either because of defender positioning or because the QB's delivery was not spot on. He didn't seem at all afraid to leave his feet in traffic, so what I thought was a negative can actually be viewed as a positive, in my eyes.I didn't get to check out his combine stats yet but he seems to have a decent vertical leap also. The one play (at the 1:14-1:16 mark) where he hurdled the defender was pretty awesome. The defender was almost vertical and Moeaki actually got his crotch over top of the guys helmet.
I just drafted him in 7th round (IDP included), I am hoping he more like Randy McMichael and not the next Joe Klopfenstein! --wonder if JK had a Youtube reel!

Well, they took Cottam 76th overall in 2008, 2 TE's ahead of Finley, and he's caught 16 passes so far. Moeaki may be a better receiver, but a similar injury prone past. And the coaching philosophy doesn't bode well for a TE anyway. Especially with another receiving option now in McCluster, in addition to Charles in there from the beginning. So you've got 4 other receiving options (Bowe, Chambers, Charles, McCluster)edit: and 5 TE's on the roster currently
The less-obvious details are important:- Cottam's a previous regime's guy, this regime traded up to get Moeaki- Cottam's not a noted hard worker (some reports point to the opposite), while Moaeki was a team captain/hard worker/good character/all that jazz; this regime is crazy high on character- Cottam is not near the blocker Moaeki is, and TEs have to block in Weis' system (not a fantasy plus so to speak although it should mean Moaeki is on the field a lot, and you never know how many audibles they'll call from run to pass)In a less TE-friendly offense last year, three complete scrubs in Cottam, Sean Ryan and Leonard Pope caught some 45-odd balls for 400-450-odd yards and a few TDs. From what I've read and heard Weis' offense will use the TE a lot more, and they like this Moaeki kid a lot. While I'm not sold yet, I think there could be some upside here. One other thing: the QB is garbage at throwing down field. While I do think there are other guys stealing targets in the short passing game (Bowe, McCluster, even Charles), it seems Moaeki could provide a useful safety net in the shallow middle. If there's any upside to the KC passing game, it'll be in the short 10-15 yard area. Could be some value in PPR leagues.

I don't think any of us are saying that he could even APPROACH Gonzo's numbers. I don't see anyone jumping up and down proclaiming him the next big thing.But, given the lack of any real talent in front of him, not much after DBowe in the passing game, AND his very low price......he's certainly one to stash and hope he hits.

Fair enough. It just seems like someone always has to reference the fact that Gonzo's not there anymore instead of the more relevant point that there isn't a more talented or proven starter entrenched in front of him.So long as people aren't getting starry-eyed because they think Gonzo's touches are sitting there ready to be seized, I got not beef.

Well, they took Cottam 76th overall in 2008, 2 TE's ahead of Finley, and he's caught 16 passes so far. Moeaki may be a better receiver, but a similar injury prone past. And the coaching philosophy doesn't bode well for a TE anyway. Especially with another receiving option now in McCluster, in addition to Charles in there from the beginning. So you've got 4 other receiving options (Bowe, Chambers, Charles, McCluster)

edit: and 5 TE's on the roster currently
The less-obvious details are important:- Cottam's a previous regime's guy, this regime traded up to get Moeaki

- Cottam's not a noted hard worker (some reports point to the opposite), while Moaeki was a team captain/hard worker/good character/all that jazz; this regime is crazy high on character

- Cottam is not near the blocker Moaeki is, and TEs have to block in Weis' system (not a fantasy plus so to speak although it should mean Moaeki is on the field a lot, and you never know how many audibles they'll call from run to pass)

In a less TE-friendly offense last year, three complete scrubs in Cottam, Sean Ryan and Leonard Pope caught some 45-odd balls for 400-450-odd yards and a few TDs. From what I've read and heard Weis' offense will use the TE a lot more, and they like this Moaeki kid a lot. While I'm not sold yet, I think there could be some upside here.

One other thing: the QB is garbage at throwing down field. While I do think there are other guys stealing targets in the short passing game (Bowe, McCluster, even Charles), it seems Moaeki could provide a useful safety net in the shallow middle.

If there's any upside to the KC passing game, it'll be in the short 10-15 yard area. Could be some value in PPR leagues.
The other thing I like about this is that the defense can't key his presence on the field to the play being a pass (or a pass to him).

Can you say AVERAGE. TEs like this are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. Not knocking the guy, good luck to him and congrats on getting drafted. But for fantasy purposes, he's no different than at least 1 TE on just about every NFL team - that is, a bit undersized, decent athleticism and good hands. It all comes down to utilization by the team. And thus far, not every team nor every OC understands how to fully utilize the TE position in today's game. Respectfully, not much to get excited about here and I'll pass and shoot for guys like Cook, Gresham, and Gronkowski quite a bit earlier than this kid or Jimmy Graham and A.Hernandez around this kid's value.

Can you say AVERAGE. TEs like this are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. Not knocking the guy, good luck to him and congrats on getting drafted. But for fantasy purposes, he's no different than at least 1 TE on just about every NFL team - that is, a bit undersized, decent athleticism and good hands. It all comes down to utilization by the team. And thus far, not every team nor every OC understands how to fully utilize the TE position in today's game. Respectfully, not much to get excited about here and I'll pass and shoot for guys like Cook, Gresham, and Gronkowski quite a bit earlier than this kid or Jimmy Graham and A.Hernandez around this kid's value.
Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez are going as high as the mid-2nd and I haven't seen one draft where either one has made it out of the 3rd. Moeaki is going in the 4th and in some drafts is going undrafted. That's not the same "value".And of course you'd go after Gresham/Gronkowski first if you had the opportunity. No one is saying you should avoid them to draft Moeaki.Cook? Jared Cook? He was drafted last year.

I watched all of his college games and think he is a much better NFL TE than FF TE. Very good blocker. I think he will have slightly better numbers than Marcedes Lewis.

He has the talent to be special. If he can avoid injuries he can be a startable FF TE. Good luck Tony and thank you for coming the Iowa.

That was basically my message in a nutshell. The opportunity in KC is more apparent than it would be anywhere else. You can't compare Moeaki to Gonzo, of course.

Good luck getting a guy with the package Moeaki offers -- way better than "decent" athleticism, elite upside and most of all OPPORTUNITY -- anywhere near as late as you could get him.1st round WR + Moaeki >>>>>> Gresham and a scrub 3rd/4th round WR.

The injury label is just, but to give equal play to the other side of the equation, there's another former Big Ten TE that has been riddled by injuries throughout his HS/College/NFL career and he's been very productive at all levels - Owen Daniels.

I like him as a prospect. As Yudkin chimed in to say, we can't put too much on what the previous Chiefs TEs did last year. None of those players are/were very good. Moeaki should have no problems beating those players out for the starting gig. With a better option at TE in Moeaki, the distribution of receptions will likely increase as a result.

Lots and lots of "ifs" here, but that's typical of almost any rookie coming into the league.

Gronkowski also has the injury label. I may be completely wrong, but I've been a little more bearish with him than I have been with Moeaki in my rookie/dynasty rankings. Of course, now that Gronk and Hernandez are on the Pats, that reinforces my feeling that Moeaki could very well catch more passes and TDs as a rookie, and going forward, than Gronk.

EBF's comparisons to Scheffler and Witten are on point, but I'll submit Daniels as another.

I haven't compared my rankings against others, but I suppose that I may be on the higher side for all the reasons above. For where he's going in rookie drafts, I think the value is there along with the potential (fantasy and talent-wise) and certainly the opportunity.

EDIT to add: Currently, he's my 5th ranked TE amongst rookie and I have him pegged as a late 2nd rounder (22nd overall). If he and Andre Roberts were both available at that spot, it would be a close call depending on the roster and need.

Adding Moeaki and McCluster to Charles, Bowe and Chambers, Matt Cassel suddenly has a strong cache of weapons. I expect the Chiefs to pass often. Thomas Jones should still have a decent role, but, these are strong options for the Kansas City passing game. The Chiefs will be able to put up some points this season.

RustyFA2 said:
I watched all of his college games and think he is a much better NFL TE than FF TE. Very good blocker. I think he will have slightly better numbers than Marcedes Lewis.

He has the talent to be special. If he can avoid injuries he can be a startable FF TE. Good luck Tony and thank you for coming the Iowa.
This is my read on the guy too. I think he spends more time blocking than he does catching....

RustyFA2 said:

This is my read on the guy too. I think he spends more time blocking than he does catching....
Lewis is a lot bigger (6'6", 275 lbs) than Moeaki. At 245 pounds, I have a tough time seeing Moeaki staying in to block as much as Lewis. He is not big enough to be an every down in line blocking tight end. Also, comparing the Jaguar run-oriented offense to the Chief pass-happy attack might be difficult. I see Moeaki producing similar to Ben Watson in NE where we see talent and potential, but injuries and scheme limit fantasy production.

Got him late in a couple drafts and feel like it's a steal because it was basically no risk. No question he has talent. Just has to stay healthy.

Just grabbed him in our last round (4.04). To me, him being a good blocker is better for his longterm prospects (for both FF and NFL). So often these days we hear about, Keller, Olsen, Beckum, Cook etc. being sick "move" TEs, but can't block a lick and it sometimes keeps them off the field. If he has blocking down first, all the better to take the Owen Daniels, Brent Celek path to being a very servicable every down TE that puts up great stats in a pass happy team (which it seems like the Chiefs are moving to). 4.6-4.7 speed, hands, toughness, blocking, weapons around him, no competition, injuries BEHIND him....sounds good for an 8 game dynasty stash-n-wait!

As an avid Hawkeye I have had the opportunity to meet Tony breifly and he came across as a class act. I also have a friend who spent some time in the NFL after playing at Iowa. He is around the program and says Tony has the best hands he has seen including WRs.

Those positives aside, as a Hawkeye fan and realist, he will have two concerns. Seperation and injuries. He will catch everything thrown his way but will he get open in the NFL, probably (hopefully). Injuries are a huge concern as he plays all out which leaves him vulnerable at times. This is evident in his history.

He will start, probably with in the first few games of the year. He is a GREAT blocker, and this is why. Barring injury I foresee a career of 600-700 yard receiving seasons, nothing spetacular yet better than average.

(Rotoworld) Tony Moeaki was the star of Chiefs' minicamp on Saturday, according to team beat writer Josh Looney.

Analysis: At one point, some Chiefs vets were chanting "MOO-AHH-KEYYYYYY" from the sidelines after the third-round tight end made a catch. Expectations shouldn't be overblown for Moeaki as a rookie, but Dynasty leaguers should take note that he's impressing every time he gets on the field.

In my dynasty league where we get 2 PPR for te I was able to get moeaki at 3:14 and am happy about it. I think his injury problems shouldn't be ignored but I think they're a bit overblown. In the last two years he missed a total of five games. I'm thinking that like boldin you can bet on him missing a few games a year but the rest of the time he's a quality player so ultimately he's worth it.

Someone asked about moeaki's combine:

6'3 245lbs, 4.69/40, 34" vert, 18 reps of 225lbs

(Rotoworld) Rookie Tony Moeaki showed "both the best hands and the most ability to create mismatches" among tight ends at the Chiefs' most recent OTAs. Analysis: Moeaki made the catch of the day in back-to-back practices, causing teammates to begin chanting his name. The rookie may be injury prone, but he's easily the most talented pass-catching tight end on the roster. Moeaki should earn the starting job in training camp.

I took him at #27 overall in a rookie draft last week. I think he will be a great fantasy player provided he shakes the injury bug.

Good luck getting a guy with the package Moeaki offers -- way better than "decent" athleticism, elite upside and most of all OPPORTUNITY -- anywhere near as late as you could get him.1st round WR + Moaeki >>>>>> Gresham and a scrub 3rd/4th round WR.
You couldn't give me 3 Moeaki's for 1 Jimmy Graham, but he's a good TE. Utilization is the key. Will Moeaki ever be used enough to be fantasy relevant?

You couldn't give me 3 Moeaki's for 1 Jimmy Graham, but he's a good TE. Utilization is the key. Will Moeaki ever be used enough to be fantasy relevant?
I drafted both...I could be set at TE for a long time. I see Moeaki out of the gate as a 16-20 TE by the 2nd half of this season. He is in a great situation and is certainly talented enough....2-3 years down the road I see him in the 10-15 range. Graham on the other hand has a very good chance to be a top 6 TE in 3 years and maybe #1 at some point in his career.

I drafted both...I could be set at TE for a long time. I see Moeaki out of the gate as a 16-20 TE by the 2nd half of this season. He is in a great situation and is certainly talented enough....2-3 years down the road I see him in the 10-15 range. Graham on the other hand has a very good chance to be a top 6 TE in 3 years and maybe #1 at some point in his career.
Man, the hype for Jimmy Graham knows no bounds!

-- Chiefs Release Brad Cottam --

Wed Jul 28, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com

Warpaint Illustrated reports the Kansas City Chiefs have released TE Brad Cottam (neck) after he failed his physical.

Users who are viewing this thread