What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Moeaki -- KC Chiefs TE (2 Viewers)

Can you say AVERAGE. TEs like this are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. Not knocking the guy, good luck to him and congrats on getting drafted. But for fantasy purposes, he's no different than at least 1 TE on just about every NFL team - that is, a bit undersized, decent athleticism and good hands. It all comes down to utilization by the team. And thus far, not every team nor every OC understands how to fully utilize the TE position in today's game. Respectfully, not much to get excited about here and I'll pass and shoot for guys like Cook, Gresham, and Gronkowski quite a bit earlier than this kid or Jimmy Graham and A.Hernandez around this kid's value.
Good luck getting a guy with the package Moeaki offers -- way better than "decent" athleticism, elite upside and most of all OPPORTUNITY -- anywhere near as late as you could get him.1st round WR + Moaeki >>>>>> Gresham and a scrub 3rd/4th round WR.
You couldn't give me 3 Moeaki's for 1 Jimmy Graham, but he's a good TE. Utilization is the key. Will Moeaki ever be used enough to be fantasy relevant?
I drafted both...I could be set at TE for a long time. I see Moeaki out of the gate as a 16-20 TE by the 2nd half of this season. He is in a great situation and is certainly talented enough....2-3 years down the road I see him in the 10-15 range. Graham on the other hand has a very good chance to be a top 6 TE in 3 years and maybe #1 at some point in his career.
Man, the hype for Jimmy Graham knows no bounds!
What is your view of Graham?

Ugh....

(KFFL) Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki (undisclosed) suffered an undisclosed injury during practice Saturday, Aug. 7, and the trainers appeared to be looking at his ankle, according to The Kansas City Star's Kent Babb.

Ugh....

(KFFL) Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki (undisclosed) suffered an undisclosed injury during practice Saturday, Aug. 7, and the trainers appeared to be looking at his ankle, according to The Kansas City Star's Kent Babb.
Yeah, this is the concern with Moeaki... his ability to stay healthy. He has the talent to be a good pro, just has issues with injuries.

Every hype train needs a dissenter, :kicksrock: so hear goes...

I'm not nearly as high on Moeaki as most. When a player goes much higher or lower in the NFL Draft than I thought he would, I take another look. In this case, Moeaki went a lot higher than I expected. He's a decent combo TE (blocking/receiving), but he doesn't project to a top pass-catching TE, IMO.

The league is now littered with TEs like Moeaki. He's got to have something that sets him apart if he's to be a top FF TE & I don't see it. While he's fairly athletic, he's not fluid. I see nothing special as far as a receiving TE (again, in this day & age). And when you take into account his injury history (albeit, I tend to disregard injury history in all but the worst cases), there are quite a few other young TEs I prefer. For example, I much prefer Dennis Pitta even with Ed Dickson there.

That said, where most people got Moeaki in their rookie drafts, I have no qualms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add that if healthy, Moeaki will probably start as a rookie for lack of better options, so at least his owners will get a good early look. Plus, Moeaki is decent enough where if they feature him (which I kind of doubt), he could be serviceable.

However, my initial review stands...I don't expect him to ever be anything more than a backup FF TE (even as a veteran).

Every hype train needs a dissenter, :mellow: so hear goes...I'm not nearly as high on Moeaki as most. When a player goes much higher or lower in the NFL Draft than I thought he would, I take another look. In this case, Moeaki went a lot higher than I expected. He's a decent combo TE (blocking/receiving), but he doesn't project to a top pass-catching TE, IMO.The league is now littered with TEs like Moeaki. He's got to have something that sets him apart if he's to be a top FF TE & I don't see it. While he's fairly athletic, he's not fluid. I see nothing special as far as a receiving TE (again, in this day & age). And when you take into account his injury history (albeit, I tend to disregard injury history in all but the worst cases), there are quite a few other young TEs I prefer. For example, I much prefer Dennis Pitta even with Ed Dickson there.That said, where most people got Moeaki in their rookie drafts, I have no qualms.
Moeaki isn't anything special. He is decent, but won't stand out. He's also hurt ALL the time. There's at least 3 or 4 TEs I'd rather draft from this class (Gresham, Graham, Hernandez, and possibly Ed Dickson).

Every hype train needs a dissenter, :thumbup: so hear goes...

I'm not nearly as high on Moeaki as most. When a player goes much higher or lower in the NFL Draft than I thought he would, I take another look. In this case, Moeaki went a lot higher than I expected. He's a decent combo TE (blocking/receiving), but he doesn't project to a top pass-catching TE, IMO.

The league is now littered with TEs like Moeaki. He's got to have something that sets him apart if he's to be a top FF TE & I don't see it. While he's fairly athletic, he's not fluid. I see nothing special as far as a receiving TE (again, in this day & age). And when you take into account his injury history (albeit, I tend to disregard injury history in all but the worst cases), there are quite a few other young TEs I prefer. For example, I much prefer Dennis Pitta even with Ed Dickson there.

That said, where most people got Moeaki in their rookie drafts, I have no qualms.
Moeaki isn't anything special. He is decent, but won't stand out. He's also hurt ALL the time. There's at least 3 or 4 TEs I'd rather draft from this class (Gresham, Graham, Hernandez, and possibly Ed Dickson).
Well yea, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. As a rule though Moeaki seems to be about the 7th to 9th TE off the board in most rookie drafts and goes in the late 3rd/4th. At that spot I don't see the downside. I am a big fan of the shotgun approach to TE's. Take enough of them late, and its likely you will find a valuable contributor, at much better odds than other positions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ....html?eref=sihp

It's gotta be a little tough to be a rookie named "Tony'' when you're trying to play the tight end position in Kansas City, but Moeaki (pronounced MO-ee-AH-kee) has more than a few Tony Gonzalez-like skills in his game. He's big (6-foot-3, 252 pounds), can really move well, and has flashed great hands so far in Chiefs camp. He can even block, as he proved in Iowa's bowl game against Georgia Tech last year, when he manhandled Yellow Jackets star defensive end Derrick Morgan more than once. He was only available in the third round because he was a bit injury prone as a Hawkeye, but the Chiefs believe they have a steal in a guy who Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz has compared favorably to former Hawkeyes tight end Dallas Clark.

"If we can keep this guy going in the direction he's going, we've got something,'' Haley said. "He's a football player now. In all areas. He's got a great feel for the game. He can catch the ball and he does things as a route runner that I've been trying to get receivers to do for 10 years.''
Not a KCStar fluff piece - Don Banks of SI, fwiw. As far as Haley's quote, he rarely ever praises anyone, so it's sounding good. After Saturday's scrimmage, he was pressed to answer who looked good/is doing well, and he looked real awkward, as well as prefacing his comments, but he went on to list Moeaki before anyone else and talked very highly of "this young TE." Again, if you follow the Chiefs at all, you'll know that Haley basically never singles out any player in press conferences. Even if asked. Back in OTAs he was continually asked about Eric Berry, and he continually responded with "this whole rookie group."

gianmarco said:
Any news out of KC on him? So little in terms of blurbs or content on him. Is he starting?
Not that it matters much necessarily but KCChiefs.com lists him as backup to Leonard pope

I guess we'll get some Moeaki news tonight when KC plays. I'm interested to see if he is on the field much and gets a couple/few targets.

I believe he was a starter in the preseason.

They have absolutely zip at TE, so I figure they'll be forced to start him out of sheer desperation even if he isn't ready yet.

I'm sure he's ready, but I don't think he's any part of the gameplan right now. They have 3 WRs they'd rather get the ball to, and 2 RBs who should in theory dominate touches.

Would be surprised if he did anything more than catch a couple dumpoffs for minimal yardage.

I wonder if there's ever been more rookie TE's scoring in week 1 than this year: Gronkowski, Moeaki, Gresham

4 targets, 3 catches so far in the first quarter.

Looks like they're trying to make him part of the offense going forward.

Finishes with 5/58. Had a few more targets than that I believe. Looked real fluid catching the ball. With Cassel being so bad at going down field, Moeaki could be a real nice sleeper.

Welcome to all the late-comers.

No TE in the league will have a better catch than Moeaki did today. 1st round talent with injuries = I just pray he stays healthy.

i think kirk ferentz compared moeaki favorably with dallas clark (coached both at iowa?)...

really liking the chiefs draft...

I have Celek and Winslow. I could pick him up, Carlson, H. Miller, T. Scheffler, B. Pettigrew. Would you take any of these guys over Moeaki? 10 team redraft league. O.K. just saw that catch. I may pick this guy up. Nice.

i think kirk ferentz compared moeaki favorably with dallas clark (coached both at iowa?)... really liking the chiefs draft...
Yea Bob at Iowa. Moeaki has always had the talent to be a very good TE, however the biggest knock on him is staying healthy. He was injured alot while playing for the Hawkeyes.

I've got Daniels as my TE2 right now. Really tempted to drop him for Moeaki in a PPR league. Do I stick with Daniels a few more weeks or make the move for Moeaki?

Colts supposedly have the #1 ranked defense against TEs but that was before they lost Melvin Bullit who was already replacing Bob Sanders.

Idk.....Moeaki could be a good play this week. But maybe the big plays come from Charles and maybe McCluster?

Hard to predict.

Users who are viewing this thread