What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (1 Viewer)

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah ranks Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside 49th overall.

Jeremiah calls Arcega-Whiteside (6'2/223) a "huge asset on third down and in the red zone" and projects him as to have an "immediate impact." If you've seen him play, you know Arcega-Whiteside dominates the 50/50 balls using a unique basketball box-out technique, but some are concerned with his separation skills. With that said, Arcega-Whiteside surprised during athletic testing when he ran a 4.49 40-yard dash. It appears that there's some divide on where Arcega-Whiteside ranks in this deep wide receiver class, but he will likely be a Day 2 selection come this weekend.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 22, 2019, 3:51 PM

Eagles selected Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside with the No. 57 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Arcega-Whiteside (6’2/225) turned pro as a redshirt junior after tallying a career 135/2,219/28 (16.4) receiving line and earning second-team All-Pac 12 in 2018. Arcega-Whiteside’s 135.6 passer rating when targeted led all wideouts in the conference, and he led the entire nation in contested-catch rate last year. Arcega-Whiteside eased speed concerns by blazing forty times in the 4.47-4.50 range at Stanford’s Pro Day, although his vertical (34") and broad (9’10") jumps were disappointing. Still mainly a possession threat who struggles to beat man coverage, Arcega-Whiteside projects on the Terrance Williams-Malcom Floyd spectrum as a toolsy but probable role player in the pros.

Apr 26, 2019, 7:03 PM

First thing I said to my buddy is "they drafted a Jeffery clone, why?"

Alshon is not the picture of healthy, however he is locked in to Philly contract wise, with DeSean and Agoholor still in tow, gonna need patience
IDK... Alshon has a huge salary and dead cap this year but becomes much more cut-friendly next year and his contract is up in 2021 (at least by my read of spotrac.com). Could be an heir apparent. 

I could get him at pick 16 in one league if things fall right. That league has a win now attitude and he won't be a win now pick.

edit: IDP League, no ppr

Last edited by a moderator:
DeSean Jackson is 32 years old and will be 33 when the season is finished. The Eagles were actively shopping Nelson Agholor prior to the NFL draft, and Alshon Jeffery hasn’t posted over 1,000 yards or over 70 catches since 2014.

I think that the dynasty outlook for JJAW is very promising as long as Carson Wentz can stay healthy and resume his upward trajectory that he was on.

Never fell in love with his tape. Feel like there's a big conglomerate of big redzone targets in this years draft. Pass.

DeSean Jackson is 32 years old and will be 33 when the season is finished. The Eagles were actively shopping Nelson Agholor prior to the NFL draft, and Alshon Jeffery hasn’t posted over 1,000 yards or over 70 catches since 2014.

I think that the dynasty outlook for JJAW is very promising as long as Carson Wentz can stay healthy and resume his upward trajectory that he was on.
Next year Jeffery has a $16M cap hit and Djax $9M. 

IMO next year JJAW replaces Jeffrey, the team extends Agholor and replaces Djax with a young speed guy. Even with an Agholor extension that equates to a huge positional savings. 

IMO next year JJAW replaces Jeffrey, the team extends Agholor and replaces Djax with a young speed guy. Even with an Agholor extension that equates to a huge positional savings. 
I was under the impression Agholor could be traded before this season. It doesn't seem like they like him that much, after trading for Tate last year, and know adding 2 impact WR's in D-Jax and JJAW.

My gut says JJAW is the Eagles #1 WR going into 2020, but I've long been driving this bandwagon. 

I was under the impression Agholor could be traded before this season. It doesn't seem like they like him that much, after trading for Tate last year, and know adding 2 impact WR's in D-Jax and JJAW.

My gut says JJAW is the Eagles #1 WR going into 2020, but I've long been driving this bandwagon. 
Despite your impression Agholor was not traded. I’m glad your gut agrees with my assessment that next year JJAW replaces Jeffery as the Eagles’ WR1

This is good scoop... Eagles GM Howie Roseman always set up his team with clear short-term and long-term visions.  He knew the inevitability of signing Carson Wentz a mega contract so he has to get young players on rookie contract to ensure Eagles to stay competitive especially during Wentz's prime years. 

NBC Sports Philadelphia's Dave Zangaro wrote Eagles second-round WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside "might not play much as a rookie."

With Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, and Nelson Agholor currently occupying the top three spots, the depth chart does not look pretty for the talented rookie. That could change if there is an injury or Agholor is traded, but Arcega-Whiteside looks more like a long-term replacement for Agholor or Jeffery than an immediate contributor, putting a damper on his Dynasty stock.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Philadelphia

May 7, 2019, 10:01 AM ET

Highlights of Eagles first rookie minicamp practice

Excerpt:

Per Pro Football Focus, 857 of Arcega-Whiteside's 1,059 yards came on targets 10-plus yards downfield. His 14.9 average depth of target was the third deepest among Power-5 receivers with at least 1,000 yards.

When targeting Arcega-Whiteside, the passer rating for Stanford quarterbacks was 135.6...the third highest in the nation. His 19 contested catches led the 2019 draft class and his 16.8 yards per catch was ninth in the class.

Arcega-Whiteside had a receiving grade of 90.6, which led the nation, catching 95.2 percent of his targets on those situations. He finished with 63 catches for 1,059 yards and 14 touchdowns, catching a touchdown pass on 22.2 percent of his receptions. The year before, Arcega-Whiteside had 48 catches for 781 yards and nine touchdowns, averaging 16.3 yards per catch.

Arcega-Whiteside was 12th in the nation in yards per route run (3.03), 6th in deep passes (16) and 16th in deep pass-catch rate (57.1%).

I found this article with some of the missing data in his three cone and 20 yard short shuttle drills:

Alshon Jeffery, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside are more similar than you thought

Not great results, but JJAW displays some strong traits with regards to his size and contested-catch capabilities. 
Just looking at the combine data that is an amazing 3 cone time for Jeffrey.

Jeffrey is better in almost every category listed in the article except TD.

He could definitely be useful in fantasy if he does take over for Jeffrey and the boxing out translates to the next level.

NFL corners are so good though, I dunno.

I think he needs a lot of development before having a more WR role.

I thought similarly of Devantae Adam's as a rookie prospect except he was winning above the rim more than Whiteside. Anyhow it took some time but Adams developed into a great WR.

So it's possible. 

From what I've seen of Whiteside we are talking about a poor man's version of these guys.

I'm just gonna go on record saying this dude is an absolute bum.  I'd bet right now he doesn't hit 2,000 yards on his rookie contract and if you give me some odds I'd make it 1,500.

Ironically, he'd fit better with Foles due to his propensity to throw jump balls.

Ill go on record saying this guy will be one of the better wrs from this draft. He is a long play, for sure, but once he gets an opportunity he will be at least a fantasy WR2

I'm just gonna go on record saying this dude is an absolute bum.  I'd bet right now he doesn't hit 2,000 yards on his rookie contract and if you give me some odds I'd make it 1,500.

Ironically, he'd fit better with Foles due to his propensity to throw jump balls.

Ill go on record saying this guy will be one of the better wrs from this draft. He is a long play, for sure, but once he gets an opportunity he will be at least a fantasy WR2
I’m with skinfanjon.  He screams poor mans Devante Parker to me.  

I love JJAW’s box out ability. For my money, that trait of his is elite. Think of him as a TE who will win at the catch point no matter what and it doesn’t matter who covers him (Tony Gonzalez style) 

Oh and he ran a (pro day) 4.49!

He could be a good one. 

I'd expect nothing less than an objective opinion from "Skinfanjon"

low blow. zyphros actually makes statements on players that are not negative and puts himself out there 1000000000x more than Jon ever has 
Maybe it's because this draft is hot garbage.  I have one first this year across 5 teams and 18 1sts next year.  What does that tell you?

Hockenson is the only player in this draft I have any degree of confidence as a buy and hold player.  He will stud.  I'm sure a couple others will still be fantasy relevant in a couple years but you might as well draw names out of a hat.

Eagles hope newcomers spark return to dominance in red zone

Excerpt:

Arcega-Whiteside is not just a big target (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) but his basketball background shines through with an ability to box out and haul in 50-50 balls, much like his new teammate Alshon Jeffery. Arcega-Whiteside tied a 41-year old school record at Stanford with 14 touchdown grabs in 2018.

"J.J. is a great fit for what we do," Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas said. "J.J.'s ability to go up and get the ball, his strength, his ability to separate and finish contested catches in the scoring zone -- he's just a highly productive guy and really tough, really strong."

As long as you temper expectations for his rookie season and you don’t think that Arcega-Whiteside will become a fantasy WR 1, then I think that he holds potential to develop into a fantasy WR 2 with touchdown upside. 
Theres lots if potential there. he definitely is in for a redshirt year, but after that he has some solid upside. 

You are a poor man’s skinfanjon
Whatever that means.  

His highlight reel is exactly the same as Parker's is, jump ball of some kind over and over again.  That has a place in the NFL for sure, but if you're looking for a true #1, then you're in for an underwhelming career path.  

I like his chances to become the WR1 there sooner than later. And I don't think Agholor and Djax will keep him off the field as much as people think. If Jeffery leaves next year, and I don't know that he will, he is the instant WR1.

I like his chances to become the WR1 there sooner than later. And I don't think Agholor and Djax will keep him off the field as much as people think. If Jeffery leaves next year, and I don't know that he will, he is the instant WR1.
Ertz is the first option in that offense.  Goedert's role is going to grow.  There's good data somewhere (no idea where I saw it but it's definitely in the ether) showing Wentz prefers crossing routes and deep shots.  Where does that leave a jump ball guy when Alshon is still on the squad?  Look at Alshons Wentz/Foles splits...that's a best case scenario and there's still the huge mountain of being a non- jag at the highest level of play.

These are bad odds.  

Whatever that means.  

His highlight reel is exactly the same as Parker's is, jump ball of some kind over and over again.  That has a place in the NFL for sure, but if you're looking for a true #1, then you're in for an underwhelming career path.  
Parker has failed because of injury and lack of heart, not talent. He’s a poor comp for JJAW 

Parker has failed because of injury and lack of heart, not talent. He’s a poor comp for JJAW 
And yet you know their mental makeup so well that JJAW isn't that?  Seems like a great comp from a talent perspective, considering you have 0 insight into how a player might react to things when all the pressure is on.  If somehow you do know, please tell me.  

Their film cut ups look the same, debate all you want how Parker failed to live up to expectations, JJAW looks like the same type of player.  

And yet you know their mental makeup so well that JJAW isn't that?  Seems like a great comp from a talent perspective, considering you have 0 insight into how a player might react to things when all the pressure is on.  If somehow you do know, please tell me.  

Their film cut ups look the same, debate all you want how Parker failed to live up to expectations, JJAW looks like the same type of player.  
Joe Douglas quote from above: “he's just a highly productive guy and really tough, really strong."

Not complicated. Tell me once where Parker is described as really tough and really strong. 

Parker is a hater’s comp, how about Anquan Boldin instead?

Users who are viewing this thread