What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR/TE JJ Arcega-Whiteside, SEA (2 Viewers)

Gandalf said:
I think he’s underrated too. I know the 40 matters but so does doing it on a football field
Not testing at all is a concern though. Not even a vertical? Nothing?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Definitely, the go route was my go-to because it worked a lot, so why run anything else?"

Meanwhile, in the Metcalf thread, people are up in arms over the idea of Metcalf running go routes only. 

JJAW is less interest to me at this point... unless I'm looking at him at pick 13 and decide hes BPA
Lol, people see what they want so take advantage.

Tex

Pro Football Focus credited Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside with the best-contested catch rate in college football in 2018.

Arcega-White (6'2/225) was a beast downfield and in the red zone, where he scored touchdowns on 7-of-11 targets (62%). He did so by using a unique basketball-esque box-out maneuver and by high-pointing the ball. His size is obvious on tape, but a national scout told NFL.com's Lance Zierlein that Arcega-Whiteside will run faster than expected as well. Perhaps a late riser in #DraftSZN, Arcega-Whiteside has the profile of a plus-WR2 in the NFL with upside for more.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Mar 9, 2019, 6:25 PM

Chicken or egg type question for me. If he knows his results will be poor, DNP to not hurt his stock. But if you are a scout/GM, you probably realize he isn't participating because his numbers wouldn't be good if he did. How much does participating hurt vs. not participating? 
Ya I was disapponted he DNP. I thought I heard him say he DNP because of a health issue on Moving the Chains. I wasn’t paying close attention so I may be confusing him for another player they interviewed. It was very surprising he DNP because he stood out as a great competitior at Stanford. 

I would like to find confirmation from another source but this is what I found on Twitter today:

Spanish Bowl @TheSpanishBowl

El gran @jjarcega_22 ya ha corrido las 40 yardas en el pro day de Stanford. Sus tiempos han sido bastantes buenos: 4.38 y 4.40. Let’s go!! 
#jjarcegawhitesiderumboalanfl

Translated from Spanish by Bing:

The Great @jjarcega_22 has already run the 40 yards on The Stanford Pro Day. His times have been good enough: 4.38 and 4.40. Let's Go! #jjarcegawhitesiderumboalanfl 

@ThirstyMangus

replying to @IanKenyonNFL

Official 4.49

He out ran Justin Reid every spring in the 40.

Doesn't run a route tree that showcases vertical speed at Stanford

Should have always been a 1st round pick, sub 4.5 likely clenches it. He's always been a better prospect than N'Keal Harry for me.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline relays that Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside "looked terrific catching the ball" in position drills during his pro day.

Arcega-Whiteside (6'2/223) came in with a respectable 40-yard dash on Thursday, in the vicinity of 4.48 or 4.49 seconds by the consensus. The Stanford wideout additionally logged jumps of 34 inches (vertical) and 9-foot-10 (broad). Pauline does not specify Arcega-Whiteside's times on agility drills (change of direction ability is key to his evaluation). The Titans and Saints both met with the wideout around his pro day, while the 49ers sent out a contingent which included HC Kyle Shanahan, GM John Lynch and WR coach Wes Welker. Pauline passes along that the Baltimore Ravens are also intrigued by Arcega-Whiteside and that the team is looking to come away from the draft with two wide receivers before the end of Day 2.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Apr 4, 2019, 5:28 PM

San Francisco 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan, GM John Lynch and WR coach Wes Welker were all present for Stanford's pro day on Thursday.

Cardinal WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside was the big fish testing on Thursday and reportedly came through with a 40-yard dash in the high 4.4's, a very sharp time when weighed against the general expectation. Barrows passes along that he "looked impressive" during position drills as well. We could potentially see the 6-foot-2, 225-pounder take part in the 49ers local pro day later this month. Arcega-Whiteside is looking to lock down a Day 2 selection for the draft.

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Apr 4, 2019, 3:57 PM

I am still searching for his three cone and short shuttle times. The Stanford Football twitter account stated that there were impressive times posted in the 40 yard dash and in the 3 cone drill today, but it wasn’t clear exactly which player they were referencing for the 3 cone drill.

Arcegatron is one of the nicknames given to JJ Arcega-Whiteside.

I am still searching for his three cone and short shuttle times. The Stanford Football twitter account stated that there were impressive times posted in the 40 yard dash and in the 3 cone drill today, but it wasn’t clear exactly which player they were referencing for the 3 cone drill.

Arcegatron is one of the nicknames given to JJ Arcega-Whiteside.
I was confused about that too. They give some jump numbers but nothing on the 3 cone even though it is mentioned in the title.

Did a search and couldn't find anything with 3 cone times from the pro day either.

I always got a Josh Doctson vibe from him watching him.  I honestly don't know what to do with him now that his workouts are pretty good.

I always got a Josh Doctson vibe from him watching him.  I honestly don't know what to do with him now that his workouts are pretty good.
Jordy Nelson was a comp I liked for him. Similar size, speed and body control. In fact, Green Bay at #30 would probably be a perfect landing spot too. 

Arcega-Whiteside has been my 2nd or 3rd WR, I go back and forth or him and AJ Brown, throughout the offseason. I think Brown has a higher ceiling, but JJAW has a higher floor, arguably the highest floor of anyone at the position in this draft, other than maybe Isabella. 

Jordy Nelson was a comp I liked for him. Similar size, speed and body control. In fact, Green Bay at #30 would probably be a perfect landing spot too. 
Too early. He could honestly be had for a 2nd or 3rd IMO... to many over rated wrs ahead of him right now

40 time has moved him up for me. Like N'Keal, it shows he is adequate for the NFL speed wise. 

So any over rated WRs who will possibly above him in the NFL and rookie drafts. I wouldnt burn a 1st on him right now considering the 1sts I own but it's possible of he lands somewhere favorable...  

Hes a huge bargain for someone picking high round 2. I can see a team taking Jacobs or AJ Brown and then getting JJAW round 2... talk about a stellar draft. 

my concerns are that he has an under developed route tree it seems. He doesnt wow me. But considering the 2nd round wrs last year... I'd take JJAW any day

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller "wouldn't be surprised" if Stanford WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside was a 2nd Round pick.

Arcega-Whiteside (6'2/223) has plenty of production -- he posted a 63-1,059-14 receiving line last season -- but he is making a final push up boards after posting a somewhat surprising sub-4.50 40-yard dash at the Stanford Pro Day. On top of the speed, Arcega-Whiteside "looked terrific catching the ball" during positional drills, according to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline who has previously reported that the Baltimore Ravens have interest in JJAW.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 12, 2019, 6:58 PM

Pro Football Focus' Mike Remmer notes that Stanford's J.J. Arcega-Whiteside had the highest wide receiver grade in the red zone and on 3rd and 4th downs.

Arcega-Whiteside (6'2/223) is a contested-catch stud and he surprised with 4.49-speed at his pro day, but he's expected to be a Round 3 or 4 selection. The reason why he's not being viewed as a second-rounder is a worry about his ability to separate. Some draft analysts view this as a big deal while others see it as less of an issue. Ultimately, Arcega-Whiteside is best viewed as a team's WR3 who can win deep and in the red zone.

SOURCE: Mike Remmer on Twitter

Apr 17, 2019, 1:08 PM

Not seeing it with this guy.

For all the talk of Metcalf's immobility, crickets with JJAW. And he doesnt even have so much going for him.

For all the talk of Metcalf's immobility, crickets with JJAW. And he doesnt even have so much going for him.
Faust was linking these pff profiles that covered each rookie. On them they would have some metric the guy they liked scored well in- explosive plays, contested catches, etc. with a top 5 guys listed as a graphic.  JJaw was on an enormous number of these lists, so I kind of perked up to him. I’m on board. I think there are a good handful of wr prospects that will get shuffled around after the draft- something to like, something to dislike, where they go will be key.

JJAW is a guy who could seriously climb the draft board depending on his landing spot. 

Yes, same could be said by a bunch of these guys but I think there is a unique situation with a few of these low round 1/high round 2 "tweeners." One or more of these guys could creep up to pick 5 or so. I could see some even climbing to 1.1 if the team is right. 

I'm back and forth on him. There are some things I like some I dont. I will probably pass unless my pick 14 target is gone. 

JJAW is a guy who could seriously climb the draft board depending on his landing spot. 

Yes, same could be said by a bunch of these guys but I think there is a unique situation with a few of these low round 1/high round 2 "tweeners." One or more of these guys could creep up to pick 5 or so. I could see some even climbing to 1.1 if the team is right. 

I'm back and forth on him. There are some things I like some I dont. I will probably pass unless my pick 14 target is gone. 
I few him as a early to mid-2nd rd dynasty rookie pick.

I tend to agree with you. He isnt even running routes a lot of the time, just run to the defender and box him out.

He is good at that but it's not like he is going against Xavier Rhodes or something.

He will need to do more than that to be successful in the NFL.

Others really seem to like him which makes me wonder what I'm missing?

I tend to agree with you. He isnt even running routes a lot of the time, just run to the defender and box him out.

He is good at that but it's not like he is going against Xavier Rhodes or something.

He will need to do more than that to be successful in the NFL.

Others really seem to like him which makes me wonder what I'm missing?
Makes me wonder what they're missing lol. 

You're exactly right about the boxing out thing. What else does he do?

Right now he looks like a total bum to me.  If he goes early to a primo spot I'll definitely reconsider, but I don't see anything interesting here.

Makes me wonder what they're missing lol. 

You're exactly right about the boxing out thing. What else does he do?
He has the best body control of anyone in the class, and he's the best contested catch WR. 

He gets separation, doesn't drop passes, and he also runs very good routes. The boxing out thing is what stands out on the highlight reel, because its so unique to him, but its far from all he does.

The only weakness I see in his game, is he's nothing special after the catch, but that is no big deal, because he's very special before it.

He has the best body control of anyone in the class, and he's the best contested catch WR. 

He gets separation, doesn't drop passes, and he also runs very good routes. The boxing out thing is what stands out on the highlight reel, because its so unique to him, but its far from all he does.

The only weakness I see in his game, is he's nothing special after the catch, but that is no big deal, because he's very special before it.
We're watching 2 different players.

NFL.com Draft analyst Chad Reuter projects the New Orleans Saints to take Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside in the second-round in his updated seven-round mock draft for 2019.

This would be the first pick the Saints make, as they gave up their first-round pick in 2019 to the Packers in the deal to get Marcus Davenport. Arcega-Whiteside has received some first-round talk, but he mostly goes in the Day 2 range. With his ability to high-point the football, he could have a lot of fun in the Drew Brees offense, as Reuter notes. If he does "fall" this far, this pick makes a lot of sense on paper.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 19, 2019, 4:15 PM

Users who are viewing this thread