What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Quentin Johnston, LAC (2 Viewers)

I'll shoot my shot on this one. I think he's better than any of the 2022 WRs.
I would put him behind Olave, but ahead of Wilson, Trevon, etc...
Interesting, I actually have London as the top guy from 2022.
Both need QB upgrades to get full potential. Offensive schemes are good, but QB will determine their futures.
I actually have QJ behind that whole list of WRs. People see his measurements and go gaga, but dude has a limited route tree, has been described more than once as a "body' catcher (as opposed to hands, which is what I'd strongly prefer to see) and a dude who struggles to get separation, yet isn't great at contested catches.

Gonna be interesting to see where the NFL draft values him. I have JSN & Addison ahead of him, and maybe Hyatt as well. Maybe a couple others, depending on combine results and draft capital.

Of course landing spot is going to add or detract from his FF value - I've seen mocks where he goes to the Pats (struggle to develop WRs) or Ravens (struggle to get the ball to WRs consistently) and I've seen mocks where he lands on the Giants or Panthers. The latter would make him more interesting for sure, but I am still concerned that he's an incomplete player who may struggle at the next level.

Both need QB upgrades to get full potential. Offensive schemes are good, but QB will determine their futures.
I actually have QJ behind that whole list of WRs. People see his measurements and go gaga, but dude has a limited route tree, has been described more than once as a "body' catcher (as opposed to hands, which is what I'd strongly prefer to see) and a dude who struggles to get separation, yet isn't great at contested catches.

Gonna be interesting to see where the NFL draft values him. I have JSN & Addison ahead of him, and maybe Hyatt as well. Maybe a couple others, depending on combine results and draft capital.

Of course landing spot is going to add or detract from his FF value - I've seen mocks where he goes to the Pats (struggle to develop WRs) or Ravens (struggle to get the ball to WRs consistently) and I've seen mocks where he lands on the Giants or Panthers. The latter would make him more interesting for sure, but I am still concerned that he's an incomplete player who may struggle at the next level.
Limited route tree is how I'd describe Hyatt a lot more than Johnston. 75% of his tape is just go balls from the slot. I actually think Hyatt might be a lot closer to a KJ Hamler type than people hope. Devery Henderson if you wanna go back a ways. I think Hyatt and Hooker are both overrated, and its more that Josh Heupel is just an awesome playcaller.

I don't see a limited route tree, or lack of separation with Johnston. I do see the body catching that you alluded to, but that's very fixable. DK Metcalf had that problem too, it still pops up now and again, but he's mostly ironed it out.

I think there is honestly an Andre Johnson level ceiling if Johnston can iron out the drops and use his size a little more. I think Addison and JSN have more glaring issues with their games, in that Addison can't get much bigger, and JSN can't get much faster. They will likely be better as rookies I'll agree with that.

I've got him 3rd, ahead of Hyatt.

I'm really torn on him. He's huge, he's fast, he's absolutely electric with the ball in his hands.

All of that being said, I don't feel like he's a guy that ever works his way into space. He either gets behind college DB's (so does everyone we're talking about) or....

A lot of his highlights are curl routes where he either jukes or bounces off a Big 12 DB. Then he's able to rip off 20 yard runs. I'm not sure how consistent that will be there at the next level.

When you watch JSN and Addison, and to some extent Boutte, they get open all over the field. They don't just rely on being so much better than the defense in 1 aspect of their game.

Hyatt, I actually worry more about. He's an absolute speed demon. And there's value in that. If he can put the rest together, he could be a star. But in college, he beat people with straight line speed on go routes. I would argue he had a more limited route tree than Johnston. UT's offense schemed him open a lot. He didn't have to face press coverage, so there's the question of how he'll do against that at the next level.

I'll take my chances on Johnston later in the 1st round, I'm pretty worried about being burnt by Hyatt.

JSN can't get much faster.
I don’t think speed is an issue with JSN’s game. He’s not a burner. He’s a great route runner, is thicker than other 6’ WRs and profiles similarly to ARSB, who’s worked out pretty well at the NFL level.
Not so much an issue, as something that limits upside. It limits St. Brown a bit too. As great as he is, I think NFL teams would rather have a size/speed freak like a DK Metcalf.

If JSN works as hard as St. Brown then he'll be great, but St. Brown probably works harder than any WR in the NFL. 30 years ago, he'd be running hills with Jerry Rice.

I like JSN, but I think he probably is a possession only guy. I think he's got a high floor and is a very safe pick, but St. Brown seems closer to his ceiling than an expectation in my opinion.

I've got him 3rd, ahead of Hyatt.

Yeah, I think landing spot is going to determine this for me. It's why I said "maybe". I definitely have him behind Addison & JSN, but hey, landing spot could kill those dudes too. TBD
All of that being said, I don't feel like he's a guy that ever works his way into space. He either gets behind college DB's (so does everyone we're talking about) or....
That's my biggest concern for him.
When you watch JSN and Addison, and to some extent Boutte, they get open all over the field. They don't just rely on being so much better than the defense in 1 aspect of their game.
Agreed - and I have Boutte ahead of QJ as well. I think Boutte is even better after the catch.

I like JSN, but I think he probably is a possession only guy. I think he's got a high floor and is a very safe pick, but St. Brown seems closer to his ceiling than an expectation in my opinion.
Not to put too much stock into one game, but when JSN was "the man" for a game (the rose bowl) Olave & Wilson were out, he went 15/347/3

And FWIW, both Wilson & Olave have said that JSN is better than they are.

In a larger sample size, he had a monster season with those two still on the team.

Not to put too much stock into one game, but when JSN was "the man" for a game (the rose bowl) Olave & Wilson were out, he went 15/347/3

In a larger sample size, he had a monster season with those two still on the team.
I do think that is putting a lot of stock into 1 game. The same way I think Hyatt gets too much credit for his 6-207-5 game against Alabama. I think Wilson and Olave were a big part of JSN's 2021 success, and whether they think so or not, they were both better prospects, especially Wilson.

Again I like JSN, but I also think he might be the 5th or 6th best Ohio State WR prospect of the 2020-2024 years, depending on if Jameson Williams counts as one. Part of the reason I'm also lower than most on CJ Stroud and see him as more of a Tua/Mac Jones type.

My 2023 WR tiers look like:
Tier 1
Quentin Johnston
Tier 2
Jordan Addison
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Zay Flowers
Tier 3
Nathaniel Dell
Josh Downs
Tier 4
Kayshon Boutte

I do think that is putting a lot of stock into 1 game. The same way I think Hyatt gets too much credit for his 6-207-5 game against Alabama. I think Wilson and Olave were a big part of JSN's 2021 success, and whether they think so or not, they were both better prospects, especially Wilson.

Again I like JSN, but I also think he might be the 5th or 6th best Ohio State WR prospect of the 2020-2024 years, depending on if Jameson Williams counts as one. Part of the reason I'm also lower than most on CJ Stroud and see him as more of a Tua/Mac Jones type.

My 2023 WR tiers look like:
Tier 1
Quentin Johnston
Tier 2
Jordan Addison
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Zay Flowers
Tier 3
Nathaniel Dell
Josh Downs
Tier 4
Kayshon Boutte
Interesting. JSN also went 95/1606/9, so it’s quite a bit more than 1 game.

Another perceived knock is he played primarily out of the slot, but he’s capable of playing outside.

I’m hesitant to do tiers until I know landing spot, but at the moment, I have JSN 1, and Addison/Boutte in a 2nd tier, with Hyatt, QJ, Flowers, Downs in another.

But that’s all subject to change once landing spots are known.

Flockville @Flockville
Todd McShay says Quentin Johnston is something he’s never seen before coming out of College

6’4 with a huge catch radius, but more important GREAT with the ball AFTER the catch - unheard of for someone that size

Mel Kiper says QJ would be PERFECT for “his” #Ravens
#RavensFlocK

Reel Analytics @RAanalytics
TCU WR Quentin Johnston (6-4, 215) clocks 21.0 mph. #ReelSpeed

Jet Pack Galileo @JetPackGalileo
6'4" TCU WR Quentin Johnston out here shaking the pants off every single DB in the Big 12

Insane post-catch quickness for a man this size

I get too much Kevin White vibes from him. I know they aren’t the same but I just don’t have a good feeling about Q.
What similarities do they have besides being big with dreadlocks?
For starters, neither has ever scored an NFL TD.

In all seriousness, the first thing that strikes me is their size and athleticism profile.

White came in at 6'3" 215 with a 4.35 and 36.5 vert. I expect Q to be about the same size, a little slower on the 40 but probably a higher vert. Regardless of the specifics, we are talking rare size/explosion combos.

I think there is a logical argument that says, if Q is that physically and athletically gifted, why didn't he have a more productive college career? Certainly that could just be the offense TCU chose to run but it is a question. White had a similar question: why did it take him to age 22 to establish himself as an elite player? With his gifts, he should have been excelling earlier in his career. So with both I have to question if the coaches knew something about those players we can't see.

I think there is also some similarity in play styles. Kevin White had a really low ypr and seemed to feed off a lot of quick screens, short catch and runs, etc. Q seems to have concerns as a down field receiver. I hear criticism that he doesn't high point balls, is a body catcher, isn't strong in contested situations. Both players had some issues with drops in college.

Ultimately, it just how I feel watching them both. I just get a similar feeling and I am sure the dreads plays a non-zero role in that. My other worry with Q is that so many of his TDs look like blown defensive coverage. A safety slipping, a DB sitting in a short zone thinking he has help behind him when he doesn't, etc. White at least made a ton of difficult contested catches. I didn't see too much of that from Q. Still, I totally get idea of ranking Q as the 1.02 in single QB dynasty this year simply because his upside is tremendous.

For starters, neither has ever scored an NFL TD.
I chuckled at this :lol:

I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, and appreciate the response. I was a bit surprised by the comp because to me they seem pretty different in background/ production besides being big and athletic.
White was considered a good route runner and good at contested catches, Johnston not so much (Early Matt Harmon article on White)
White came from a gimmicky offense that schemed him open a lot. Johnston was used downfield in a pro style offense primarily, even though you rightly pointed out he was kind of a mixed bag as a wr downfield.
Johnston's best trait is YAC and that wasn't a plus for White.
Johnston produced early (although never had a monster year) while White took until year 4 to do anything (full disclosure, I didn't look at his Juco numbers from year 1-2, so maybe he produced there).
White also wasn't really considered a monster athlete until after the combine. The combine has been the best we've got for a long time to measure athleticism, but it's imperfect. Some guys just measure better in a drill than they showed on the field, and vice versa. I think eventually on field measurements become the main standard and the combine becomes little more than a medical check and interview platform like the senior bowl. Anyway, bit of a tangent, but Johnston being a measured athlete on the field/ pre-combine is significant, and I think it plays out on the other numbers (e.g. having both a good adot and good yac numbers).

The argument about why QJ didn't produce more with that athletic advantage i can get on board with. He kind of reminds me of Pickens in that way, even though they differ in that Pickens doesn't run after the catch for squat and is an elite contested catch guy.

Johnston 's best trait is YAC and that wasn't a plus for White.

So I went back and read some draft profiles on White (man has the draft industry grown since 2015) and I was surprised to see a lot of that same idea. I haven't watch All 22s or full game cutups of White but I did rewatch his Youtube highlights and while he has many down field contested catches, he also got a ton screens and quick passes that work as runs. West Virginia was consistently trying to get him the ball with space to run and White made a living on it. His yards per catch was crazy low for college which tells me that what I saw on highlights likely was the norm. So it does confuse me a bit that people thought YAC was a weakness for White. He wasn't shifty but he could make a cut and go. At 6'3" 215 with a long stride, he was eating up angles quickly.

Johnston 's best trait is YAC and that wasn't a plus for White.

So I went back and read some draft profiles on White (man has the draft industry grown since 2015) and I was surprised to see a lot of that same idea. I haven't watch All 22s or full game cutups of White but I did rewatch his Youtube highlights and while he has many down field contested catches, he also got a ton screens and quick passes that work as runs. West Virginia was consistently trying to get him the ball with space to run and White made a living on it. His yards per catch was crazy low for college which tells me that what I saw on highlights likely was the norm. So it does confuse me a bit that people thought YAC was a weakness for White. He wasn't shifty but he could make a cut and go. At 6'3" 215 with a long stride, he was eating up angles quickly.
I wouldn't say it was considered a weakness, just kind of a neutral. My recollection was the offense got him in space a lot, and he was big and fast enough to make problems for the secondary once he was sprung free, but it was still a bit gimmicky in how they got him the ball, and I guess the pre-draft perception was correct since it just didn't translate to the NFL.
To be fair to White, he also just got hurt over and over to start his career, so even a similar prospect isn't necessarily a red flag. He's just not who I would pick as a comp.

I have the 1.3 in one league. My mind is telling me no but my body.
I want to tell you don't be like Kelly but if you want some fuel for your Johnston fire I came across some wild rankings yesterday. Normally I'd dismiss these rankings but what got my attention is it's not some internet/fantasy rando, it's from the 33rd team and put together by a list of ex-NFL talent evaluators.

Anyway, they got Johnston as #3 in this draft. Not the third best WR,. Not the third best fantasy pick. The third best player, period.

I want to tell you don't be like Kelly but if you want some fuel for your Johnston fire I came across some wild rankings yesterday. Normally I'd dismiss these rankings but what got my attention is it's not some internet/fantasy rando, it's from the 33rd team and put together by a list of ex-NFL talent evaluators.

Anyway, they got Johnston as #3 in this draft. Not the third best WR,. Not the third best fantasy pick. The third best player, period.

Wild rankings is right. Will Levis as QB1, Broderick Jones as the best offensive player, Tucker Kraft in the top-32. Johnston at #3 overall is honestly among the least bold calls.

Wild rankings is right. Will Levis as QB1, Broderick Jones as the best offensive player, Tucker Kraft in the top-32. Johnston at #3 overall is honestly among the least bold calls.
I was almost thinking exactly what you just wrote when I perused their rankings.

I like it, don't agree, but I like to see something so different from people with some level of NFL experience so you know they are not just throwing crap up against the wall and nothing tells me they are trying to be different just to be cute or get clicks. Just gives you something to think about.

Last edited:
Ha, I just realized that the draft board from The 33rd Team I linked that had him as the third ranked player has this comp for him in their scouting writeup:

Pro Comparison: AJ Green​

They certainly know much more about football than me. That said, what I’ve seen and what I’ve read, Q is not the jump ball, contested catch, sideline toe tapper that Green was. Seems like a totally different game. And in Q’s defense, AJ Green wasn’t the YAC threat Q is.

Ha, I just realized that the draft board from The 33rd Team I linked that had him as the third ranked player has this comp for him in their scouting writeup:

They certainly know much more about football than me. That said, what I’ve seen and what I’ve read, Q is not the jump ball, contested catch, sideline toe tapper that Green was. Seems like a totally different game. And in Q’s defense, AJ Green wasn’t the YAC threat Q is.
I see it similar to you

He could be

I see it similar to you
same

That said, AJG was also a great hands catcher. That’s a consistent knock on AJ, that he’s a body catcher.

IIRC AJG was one of the best at reaching up and snatching the ball. I swear I’ve read lists that had him in the top 10 in the NFL.

That’s the tough part about these “alpha WR” types in the draft - a large % of that evaluation is height/weight/speed.

Johnston could be the man. Heck he could be the best in this class. I won’t discount that possibility. But AJG was a really really good WR. Just being his size does not a comp make.

These two statements stood out to me:

1. In 13 games this season, Johnston was held to four catches or less in 10 of these games

2. Over his three years at TCU, Johnston caught 115 passes ON 201 TARGETS! That’s a career college catch rate of 57%.

1. In 13 games this season, Johnston was held to four catches or less in 10 of these games

2. Over his three years at TCU, Johnston caught 115 passes ON 201 TARGETS! That’s a career college catch rate of 57%.
But but but YAC and height/weight!

I’m not a big believer in QJ.

16.4 aDOT over his career accounts for some of that.

for comparison, Addison has a catch rate of 70.4% and an aDOT of 10.7 yards. JSN has an aDOT of 9.3, and an 82.7% catch rate. It's pretty well established that catch rate goes down as the passes get longer (both because it's a harder pass and a harder catch).

Full disclosure: I haven't watched any of QJ's 2022 tape yet.

But...I reviewed him in the summer. My take is posted earlier in this thread.

Based on what I saw, AJ Green is an absolutely horrible comparison for him. AJ Green was not a physical freak. His physical tools were actually pretty overrated. Julio was the guy from that draft who had the jaw-dropping combine numbers. Green? More of a technician. Lean frame. Fast, but not burner fast. Elastic and deceptively athletic. Where he really excelled was with body control and route running. Also a great contortionist in the air. I'd say the closest thing to him was Reggie Wayne, from a style standpoint. Both guys had some speed, but you don't really think of them as overwhelming specimens ala Moss, Owens, Tyreek, Julio, etc.

That's not Quentin Johnson. He's more of a straight-line sprinter type. Not the separator that Green was. What I said in the summer is that he plays the game in big windows. Long strides. Did not show much evidence of creating space or winning on intermediate throws. Some comparisons I threw out in the summer were Sidney Rice, Justin Hunter, and Roy Williams. Not exactly great company. I reserve the right to change my opinion once I dive into the 2022 film, but my sense is that he's shaping up to be overhyped and overdrafted.

There's a lot of info being pumped out during draft time, and a lot of it is just bad info from dodgy sources. Anyone with a keyboard can type up an article and pretend like they know what they're talking about (and yes, that applies to me too).

Based on what I saw, AJ Green is an absolutely horrible comparison for him. AJ Green was not a physical freak. His physical tools were actually pretty overrated. Julio was the guy from that draft who had the jaw-dropping combine numbers. Green? More of a technician. Lean frame. Fast, but not burner fast. Elastic and deceptively athletic. Where he really excelled was with body control and route running. Also a great contortionist in the air. I'd say the closest thing to him was Reggie Wayne, from a style standpoint. Both guys had some speed, but you don't really think of them as overwhelming specimens ala Moss, Owens, Tyreek, Julio, etc.

That's not Quentin Johnson. He's more of a straight-line sprinter type. Not the separator that Green was. What I said in the summer is that he plays the game in big windows. Long strides. Did not show much evidence of creating space or winning on intermediate throws. Some comparisons I threw out in the summer were Sidney Rice, Justin Hunter, and Roy Williams. Not exactly great company. I reserve the right to change my opinion once I dive into the 2022 film, but my sense is that he's shaping up to be overhyped and overdrafted.

There's a lot of info being pumped out during draft time, and a lot of it is just bad info from dodgy sources. Anyone with a keyboard can type up an article and pretend like they know what they're talking about (and yes, that applies to me too).
Thank you, I felt like I was crazy. This might sound insulting but AJ Green was the high end version of Marvin Jones. Excelled in tight spaces. Knew how to pluck the ball from defenders in the air get two feet down even in the tightest spaces. That is actually the exact area of the game I think Q is weakest at.

Last edited:

All of this is spot on. I’ll add that AJG is one of the best hands catchers in recent memory, and that’s not QJ either. AJG went up and snatched the ball out of the air. QJ is a body catcher, who’s reportedly not great at contested catches.

They’re not remotely similar.

Last edited:
Yeah, AJ Green is a really weird comparison, that is likely 100% based on measurables.

I'm thinking something on the Demarius Thomas/Andre Johnson spectrum as a ceiling, which makes him top-10 worthy in my book.

PRO COMPARISON: DeAndre Hopkins (Bleacher Report)

NFL Comparison: Alshon Jeffery (Lance Zierlein)

NFL comparison: Tee Higgins (Matt Miller)

Comparable body-type to: Kevin White (Dan Schneier)

Last edited:
Ray G @RayGQue
.@TCUFootball WR Quentin Johnston's ability to make the first defender miss at 6'4" 215 is incredible. his start-stop ability and lateral quickness are special.
#2023NFLDraft

Michael F. Florio @MichaelFFlorio
Quentin Johnson’s spin move after the catch in the opposite direction that he was running a route is so cold

He’s positioning himself to do so before the catch. YAC machine

Users who are viewing this thread