What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Laquon Treadwell, SEA (1 Viewer)

Vikings’ Laquon Treadwell insists injury didn’t happen in fight

MANKATO — Vikings receiver Laquon Treadwell denied Thursday he was injured in a Monday practice fight with safety Antone Exum, saying he merely strained a muscle in his leg running pass patterns.

“No,” he said. “Just running routes, running, strained a muscle. We’re all out there competing. It’s a physical game and injuries happen.”

Treadwell and Exum exchanged shoves and punches and wrestled to the ground Monday after Treadwell beat Exum for a touchdown pass and then threw his arms up in celebration.

Treadwell left the workout after that and didn’t practice Wednesday and Thursday after the teams returned to training camp from a day off on Tuesday. Treadwell, though, said it’s just a “small strain,” and he expects to be back soon.

Asked Wednesday if Treadwell was hurt in the altercation, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said, “I don’t know.”

Tight end Kyle Rudolph indicated Wednesday that Treadwell was injured in the fight.

“You never want to get hurt in practice, especially doing something like that,” Rudolph said. “It’s hard enough to stay healthy in this game as it is. You kind of tell people all the time, 100 percent you’re going to get hurt in football. … If you can avoid the silly (injuries), then you can avoid kind of the ones you really don’t have to deal with.”

Don't know. Was watching game of thrones finale.

I see Treadwell had some receptions from the box score. It wasn't in the first quarter which is all I saw except for the end of the game.
He had a catch in the very first drive, 2nd catch of the game. Others were in 2nd quarter it seems, but still while starters were in.

Laquon Treadwell hauled in all three of his targets for 36 yards in the Vikings' third preseason game.

Treadwell got the start and worked with the first-team offense in his first preseason action of the season. With Michael Floyd suspended the first four games, Treadwell should be given every opportunity to earn a role early in the season. Still, he will struggle to find fantasy value behind Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen.

Treadwell caught his only target for seven yards in the Vikings' Week 1 win over the Saints.

The good news for Treadwell is he played 36-of-65 snaps as the clear No. 3 receiver. The bad news, however, is he wasn't involved in the passing game. He has still already matched his catch total from 2016 and will play a bigger role as a sophomore. Treadwell may need an injury to find fantasy relevance. With everyone healthy, he's no higher than the No. 5 option.

is he droppable in dynasty at this point?  I fully expect Floyd to pass him now that he is back
Probably.

Not sure about Floyd passing him in terms of playing time and targets but that is a reasonable guess I suppose.

I do think the Vikings will be throwing the ball a bit more now without Cook.

Treadwell has played on 55% of the snaps week one, 1 target 1 reception 7 yards. 77% of the snaps week two 6 targets 3 receptions 33 yards, 42% of the snaps week three 1 target 1 reception 2 yards, 45% of the snaps week four 2 targets 0 receptions.

I think he needed to stand out more during these four weeks to hold off Floyd from taking significant playing time. He hasn't done that. It has been all Diggs and Theilen which shouldn't be a surprise. Treadwell is only playing in 3 WR sets and sometimes that has been Jarius Wright on those.

That he played 77% of the snaps in week two against Pittsburgh was somewhat promising, after four week this looks like the outlier however, and perhaps was just a result of Keenum having more practice time with him as the back up QB that translated to him being used more in that game.

He is a good blocker but according to Zimmer so is Floyd.

Treadwell is only 22 years old and the light may come on for him at some point. Doesn't look promising for this year right now though unless Floyd messes up again (possible) or there is an injury to DIggs or Theilen (possible).

I am stuck with Treadwell for the year on some teams regardless.

As always it depends on who else you can pick up. I don't see Treadwell sniffing a fantasy start unless an injury or something like that opens the door for him having more opportunity.

The way he has been used is in a possession role. He hasn't had any red zone targets. 

. A play Treadwell has to make

The Lions led 14-7 with eight minutes left in the third quarter. Jerick McKinnon fielded the kick at his 7-yard line and took off for 32 yards, giving the Vikings the ball at the 39. Wanting to keep the momentum going, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur called for the kind of play Laquon Treadwell was drafted in the first round to make: a contested deep ball in double coverage. Instead, the Vikings went three-and-out. Treadwell lost his battle against cornerback Darius Slay and safety Glover Quin. He appeared to jump too early, allowing Slay to rise and swat the ball away. Treadwell saw it differently. “He pulled himself up by pulling me down,” Treadwell said. “I’m not a ref. He got there early, but I can’t make the call for myself.” Treadwell was targeted twice and had no catches.
Treadwell cries foul on Slay for holding, which did happen fairly often in the game vs the Lions. The refs were letting defensive backs be physical on both sides of the ball. There was one that likely should have been called where a defender runs over Diggs from behind knocking him down as the ball was arriving, but whatever.

On that play Treadwell jumped too soon. That is all on him. Would like him to own up to his mistake instead of blaming Slay.

Treadwell cries foul on Slay for holding, which did happen fairly often in the game vs the Lions. The refs were letting defensive backs be physical on both sides of the ball. There was one that likely should have been called where a defender runs over Diggs from behind knocking him down as the ball was arriving, but whatever.

On that play Treadwell jumped too soon. That is all on him. Would like him to own up to his mistake instead of blaming Slay.
 It's a little bit of both. That was a pretty blatant hold that kept him from getting very high off the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way he has been used is in a possession role. He hasn't had any red zone targets. 
This is what makes me shake my head. I felt this is the reason they drafted him, yet they haven't even given him a jump ball shot in the red zone. Not saying he is good or bad but I thought that was the skill set they were looking for and haven't even tried it.  :loco:

This is what makes me shake my head. I felt this is the reason they drafted him, yet they haven't even given him a jump ball shot in the red zone. Not saying he is good or bad but I thought that was the skill set they were looking for and haven't even tried it.  :loco:
I agree.

Diggs did well in that role winning contested catch in the red zone, but that is definitely one of the things I thought they would be using Treadwell for that has't materialized yet.

Still hoping Treadwell improves but we will just have to see how that goes with Floyd coming back now.

Thankfully Treadwell was drafted young, because he seems to be more of a long-term hold. Unfortunate for him, he's behind the best WR duo in the league and neither of them are close to past their primes

Thankfully Treadwell was drafted young, because he seems to be more of a long-term hold. Unfortunate for him, he's behind the best WR duo in the league and neither of them are close to past their primes
I think this is the biggest obstacle for him now.  Diggs at the time looked like a nice WR2 that would compliment a stud but didn't seem like he'd turn out to be this good.  And now Thielen has filled into the role they originally expected from Diggs.  Now we don't really know how much of that happened because Treadwell let it (ie wasn't earning time or practicing well) vs. just having it happen while he naturally developed, but in either case that's his reality now.  Unfortunately, teams rarely set guys free that are stuck like this.  They don't care about our fantasy teams or Treadwell's untapped potential, if any exists. 

His contract isn't helping either.  All of the remaining money is guaranteed, so there's zero financial gain from cutting or trading him.  His salaries are $900k for 2017, $1.34M for 2018, and $1.8M for 2019 so unless he's showing some potential no one is going to trade for him, and if he is showing something they are unlikely to trade him.  Those salaries are pretty cheap and to replace him with a FA WR4 would costs them more.  Andre Holmes got $1.7M and Marquis Goodwin $3M.  They'll keep Treadwell at those numbers.

He'd have to be pretty dominant to outright take snaps away from either other guy at this point, so we're reduced to hoping for an injury or just waiting his rookie deal out.

Kevin King not expected to play today I am reading.

Packers secondary is banged up right now so the opportunity isn't going to get much better.

Treadwell with a great one handed catch in this game. 3 receptions for 51 yards. Also a decleater block that he got a penalty for. Chris Walsh would have been proud.

Still has a long ways to go to justify his draft position, but he showed some good things in this game.

Keenum not particularly good, but good enough against the Packers team depleted by injuries.

Diggs has been ruled out and Floyd is questionable, so big opportunity for Treadwell ahead.
Gotta figure this is almost his last chance to show he was worth the pick. Cannot believe how little development we have seen from him to date.

I presume Jarius Wright will be active this week? Was surprised to see he got 29 snaps last week but zero targets.

Gotta figure this is almost his last chance to show he was worth the pick. Cannot believe how little development we have seen from him to date.

I presume Jarius Wright will be active this week? Was surprised to see he got 29 snaps last week but zero targets.
I think he showed some good things in the last game. Not sure what more he has to do under the circumstances? 

No he isn't playing up to the expectations of a 1st round pick, but he also hasn't had much of an opportunity to do so either with Diggs and Theilen ahead of him. He is still a very young player after all. I don't see this game or any one game as he must break out and have over 100 yards or something. He just needs to keep making incremental progress. Thats all I care about.

Wright will be active and also Stacy Coley who showed some good route running ability during the preseason. He has some similar traits to DIggs and they might use him on some of the plays they would use Diggs for normally. Treadwell, Floyd and Wright still ahead of him as far as that goes though. Wright is a bit more pure speed and less wiggle than Diggs and Coley in my opinion.

In dynasty, do we think it would be worth dropping someone like, oh I don't know, Zay Jones or Golladay in order to grab Treadwell?
Thats tough.

Long term I don't see Diggs or Theilen going away so that may continue to prevent Treadwell to make enough an impact for fantasy.

At least I need to see Treadwell do more to give him the definite nod over these other two WR who I like and have promise.

In my rookie evaluations I had Treadwell rated as a tier one WR prospect. While Jones was a tier two prospect in my view. I did not evaluate Golladay but he has shown some good things in preseason. As far as this goes I want to see the players for 3 years in the NFL before turning the page on them. But from that perspective I would have Treadwell ahead of Jones or Golladay.

Based on Treadwell not doing much in his first season I would consider the 3 players a lot closer now than when I ranked them as college prospects, but its still very very early in all of these players careers.

As far as opportunity goes, Treadwell seems more blocked for playing time than Jones is. Golladay somewhat depends on how well Marvin Jones plays for the Lions. Both players are somewhat blocked for opportunity as long as Tate/Jones or Diggs/Theilen are ahead of them on the depth chart.

In the most recent game vs the Ravens Treadwell got the start and Michael Floyd did not play with a calf injury.

He had 55 offensive snaps (83%) 4 targets 3 receptions 28 yards.

He made a very big mistake early on in the game where he knocked his target up in the air and Ravens cornerback Carr was able to intercept the ball. That was a terrible mistake and something he cannot do as a starter. It was a situation where Treadwell should be able to win the contested catch with his strength and catch radius, two of his stronger traits. He failed to do so.

He had a reception in the game where he had run after the catch opportunity but he was not very quick or fast compared to other Vikings WR in the same situation and he was not able to gain a lot of yards after the catch because of this.

Laquon Treadwell hauled in 1-of-4 targets for 21 yards in the Vikings' Week 8 win over the Browns.

Even with Michael Floyd active, Treadwell saw snaps in three-wide sets early and was targeted four times in the first half including a 21-yard catch to help set up a field goal just before the break. Unfortunately, that was all the work he saw. With Stefon Diggs back healthy, Treadwell has lost any semblance of fantasy value in redraft formats.

2 big 3rd down conversions on the Vikings latest drive - Keenum looked his way again in the end zone, drew a DPI on the play.

Really good to see him making some plays -not sure how he fits in with Theilen and Diggs, but he was a high draft pick. Something to keep an eye on as possibly a cheap purchase going into next year.

Treadwell is still only 22 years old.

I don't think anyone including the Vikings knew that Thielen and Diggs would emerge the way they have. If so then the Vikings may have drafted a different position than WR. At the time WR seemed like a big need.

At least he is holding off Michael Floyd, I think that is a good sign. He needs more playing time and opportunities to further his development than I think he is getting right now, and it is mostly because Thielen and Diggs are so good more than Treadwell being bad.

He does seem a bit surprised when the ball comes his way still though. Just something that he needs more opportunities to get past in my opinion.

Laquon Treadwell has been running as the Vikings' No. 3 receiver in OTAs.

He's getting the first shot in three-wide sets over Kendall Wright. Although he was a free agent addition, the Vikes are probably already comfortable with what they have in Wright, so it makes sense for them to give former first-rounder Treadwell one last opportunity at becoming a real contributor. The No. 23 overall pick of the 2016 draft has just 21 grabs through 25 career games. He averaged a woeful 10.0 yards on 20 catches last season. Wright is probably the favorite for No. 3 duties.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune 

Jun 5 - 4:51 PM

Completely whiffed on this cat. Would have never guessed he'd be this much of a disappointment. One of my favorite WRs coming out over last few seasons.

Oh well.
Was coming here to post the same... with the follow-up question of does he have a chance to rebound or should we just punt now?

Was coming here to post the same... with the follow-up question of does he have a chance to rebound or should we just punt now?
I tried to buy on the cheap and found people would rather hold for another year than get something for him. He was very young when he came into the league. I don’t think his book is written just yet, but he’s a flyer at this point and had lost his top rookie pick value. 

I tried to buy on the cheap and found people would rather hold for another year than get something for him. He was very young when he came into the league. I don’t think his book is written just yet, but he’s a flyer at this point and had lost his top rookie pick value. 
Yeah, I've been trying to sell, but I know I won't get anywhere near the value it took to get him... and would rather just hold him than get a 4th or something like that.

Yeah, I've been trying to sell, but I know I won't get anywhere near the value it took to get him... and would rather just hold him than get a 4th or something like that.
Can’t remember what I was offering. I think it was a 3rd. I always have a few guys I try to get for a 3rd or 4th, sometimes it’s Torrey Smith and doesn’t pan out and sometimes it’s marvin jones. 

I am not optimistic.

Treadwell is young however and its possible he starts playing at a level that will force the Vikings to use him. While ZImmer made negative comments about his prior to the NFL draft, more recently he has said positive things about Treadwell looking improved and that he can see Treadwell worked on some things during the offseason.

The main problem is that Diggs and Thielen are too good. He is not going to supplant either of them. If Diggs gets a big contract with the Vikings, I think you can plan on Treadwell going to another team when his rookie contract runs out, and maybe he will do better there. It is still a long time to hold the guy, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being a late bloomer.

If the Vikings do not sign DIggs to a long term contract, then this does open up the door for Treadwell to possibly become the Vikings WR two if he does well this year.

The Vikings have signed players to contract extensions before training camp or around training camp before, so something to look out for. Listening to Diggs I am not sure if he wants to sign a new contract or if he wants to wait and become a free agent. There are several reasons why he and the Vikings would like to have him signed long term, but DIggs comments suggest to me that he is willing to bet on himself, and his agent may be telling him to wait as well. So maybe he doesn't sign a new deal this year.

I think the Vikings priorities for re-signing their free agents next year are Hunter, Diggs, Barr, Waynes and if they can get Diggs to agree to a new deal they will try to do that now instead of later.

Can’t remember what I was offering. I think it was a 3rd. I always have a few guys I try to get for a 3rd or 4th, sometimes it’s Torrey Smith and doesn’t pan out and sometimes it’s marvin jones. 
Without turning this into too much Assistant Coach tangent, a 3rd would be right on the cusp for me.  If it were a high 3rd and there was a little sweetener (later round pick bump, cash, etc.) I might bite.  A mid or even late 2nd would probably pry him from me.  FBG has him at WR107, with only two rankers even listing him (#81 and 87), among the likes of Kevin White and Tyler Boyd.  Yikes.  

Users who are viewing this thread