What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kristian Wilkerson - NE - 8.18.21 - Fighting For Roster Spot (2 Viewers)

Bri

Footballguy
Apparently he's only mentioned within threads and doesn't have his own, so I figured I'd start one

Last edited by a moderator:
Background- Wilkerson's speed is a smidge slow but the rest of his measurables catch your eye, especially his lateral agility.

He was in Titans camp last year and caught everything. He was a surprise cut because he lacked ST ability.

Pats signed him to their practice squad and during 2020 he turned down several offers to join other team's ps.

This spring, he stood out in Pats minicamp.

He's done very well this summer but looking like 4th 5th WR along with NKeal Harry.

Most targets for Pats tonight in first preseason game.

Please note- 4th 5th WR and depth. Developmental.

Wilkerson is a feel good camp story, but realistically he is fighting for one of the last roster spots to play on special teams and be the 5th or 6th receiver on a team that doesn't throw all that much (and also has 2 new receiving TE and usually a RB with a lot of receptions). I don't see him being fantasy relevant in NE, so he would need a change of scenery (and a clear path to significant playing time) to be more than a fantasy footnote. Dropping what would have been a 40 yard TD pass last night when Mac Jones hit him in the hands won't help his stock any.

I think working with Slater on ST probably gets him on the roster. That's why the Titans cut him and depth WRs must play ST- brutal truth for some 'good looking' young players.

I've always thought it's significant that the QB is looking for a guy. (He's clearly won Jones' favor) I've been annoyed when a WR I like isn't even getting looks. 

Reiss said he caught a bomb from Cam the day before and several in camp so that drop won't matter

I think working with Slater on ST probably gets him on the roster. That's why the Titans cut him and depth WRs must play ST- brutal truth for some 'good looking' young players.

I've always thought it's significant that the QB is looking for a guy. (He's clearly won Jones' favor) I've been annoyed when a WR I like isn't even getting looks. 

Reiss said he caught a bomb from Cam the day before and several in camp so that drop won't matter
I think roster configuration will be the biggest concern for him. If there are other position groups they want to keep one extra guy, it won't matter how well he looked in practice. The drop last night won't hurt him, but I think if he came down with that ball it may have helped him.

If his stone hands can be overcome, he has a combo of size and athleticism this offense is missing on the outside - not sure Nelson/Meyers have a death grip on WR snaps just yet. Keeping a mental note on this dude, in case he keeps flashing. Mac & Cheese was all over him in the game highlights.

(Not a fan of that nickname, BTW. Big Mac is much better.)

Since the first pre-season game, he has been said to have dropped a ton of passes in practice. As in people are saying he looks like a completely different player this week. Reporters have even made it a point to report how the QBs did while noting the incompletions from drops by Wilkerson. Speculation now that his ship has sailed and he most likely will be cut. Maybe there's time for him to turn things around, but he would need to shake things off very quickly.

Over the last week, Wilkerson has gone from pushing N’Keal Harry for the No. 4 receiver job to the back side of the roster bubble. He dropped a pass for the second straight practice, adding to his team lead in training camp. The drop, committed on an in-breaking route in 7-on-7s, was his only target of the day.

Wilkerson went 1-of-5 with his targets in team drills at Philly.

Since the first pre-season game, he has been said to have dropped a ton of passes in practice. As in people are saying he looks like a completely different player this week. Reporters have even made it a point to report how the QBs did while noting the incompletions from drops by Wilkerson. Speculation now that his ship has sailed and he most likely will be cut. Maybe there's time for him to turn things around, but he would need to shake things off very quickly.
It's brutal reality there. (You are only talking two padded practices) have two bad days as a PS/UDFA and they can forget months of goodness. If you're drafted like NKeal Harry, you get loads of chances over n over.

I think Agholor love is way too strong. It's like the guy became Moss by going to NE. Bourne has been fine, his whole career, and at least that's remained constant. I am a big fan of Meyers. 

I think if the Pats do cut him, he's no longer gonna be loyal and stay on their PS refusing other offers OR they have to pay him those high PS salaries some got last year.

There's enough good clips n snips out there that he could get a bite from another team again.

I think everyone looking for a chance should go to the Texans because they're not good. 

Belichick and co could be saying that's his first experience against a top string live opponent and discard it as nerves. 

There's still time but such brutal reality seeming likely here

I get the feeling Wilkerson will end up sticking in the NFL in a Mathew Slater type of role...a special teams ace who also plays WR (although he is young enough he may carve out a little more of a WR role than Slater has)...I think the Pats are giving him every chance to succeed but because they already have Slater they need him to step it up as a WR and that does not appear to be happening....real big night for him this Thursday.

Guy had six catches week one. We don't talk about WRs with six catch games?
I know you started the thread and are trying to stimulate some conversation on Wilkerson. But the way things work in NE is the more someone plays in the preseason, the less likely he is to play a role in the regular season (if those players even make the final roster). Yes, Wilkerson had 6 catches on 9 targets for 39 yards. But his most memorable play was his drop in the end zone on what would have been a 35 yard TD pass. I don't know how much he played with the starters (he wasn't targeted) and played several series into the second half.

I cringed this week when I saw multiple articles stating that Stevenson is going to have a huge role this season based off of his last minute TD run against guys that probably won't be in the league in a week (when BB was peeved that WAS was using their timeouts and called a play instead of a kneel down).

Anyway, I haven't seen Wilkerson mentioned in practice reports from earlier today.

His current fantasy rank on ESPN is 1,951. I wasn't making fun of him, talk away but this is almost as deep as it gets. 
You are and it's now the second time.  

I will check with you next time I start a thread here. 

I know you started the thread and are trying to stimulate some conversation on Wilkerson. But ...
There's no "but" here

Since when do we check with David on a conversation?

You made your point about the drop. I also did. I didn't shine on a drop. 

I can't start a thread on a guy with six catches? I should ignore every positive tweet and story?

Four months of news on this kid and no one starts a thread so you jump on me for doing so? Skip that. 

There's no "but" here

Since when do we check with David on a conversation?

You made your point about the drop. I also did. I didn't shine on a drop. 

I can't start a thread on a guy with six catches? I should ignore every positive tweet and story?

Four months of news on this kid and no one starts a thread so you jump on me for doing so? Skip that. 
I didn’t jump on you for starting a thread. I think it’s great that people start threads on guys that aren’t on the radar. 

Wilkerson may stick somewhere, but it may not be with NE. That was the point I was making. 

You are and it's now the second time.  

I will check with you next time I start a thread here. 
Ok, I am literally not making fun of him or you. Pointing out someone is an incredibly deep prospect isn't an insult. I had never heard of him before and am glad to have him on my radar. 

I updated the title. Everyone please be cool. We can talk about players like this fighting for a roster spot. 

Harry with a noticeable drop tonight, ran into a pulling linemen messing up a run block, and then hurt...he left with his arm in a sling.

Per twitterers Wilkerson Pats #4 now.

Per knowledgeable Pats reporters- wait n see.

Paraphrasing:

Re deep drops Orlovsky was talking of Jones' inexperience and putting it on him. He's gotta put it out there and let them run under it rather than targeting them in stride- more difficult catch than it looks, like catching a fastball on the run.

Breer called Wilkerson a 2020 developmental guy that has become a factor in camp.

Reiss talked of Wilkerson's special teams value increasing thus increasing his shot of making the team.

Rob Moore Titans WR coach talked of Wilk (last year) catching everything last year (nicknamed spiderman by Jonnu) and then losing focus, looking for the big play, where's the db coming from etc when he really needs to just let the game come to him. Bringing this up because it again seems to be the problem.

It's coachable(assurance) and fixable(confidence) and really just maturation. Small(ish) school WR needs to relax in the bigs...it's plausible with him catching well before these struggles. 

Harry was being overlooked in 2 team practice and the game- wide open and not getting it.  In Twitter videos Harry goes up and makes a few great catches but imo ya can't look past him wide open and not getting it. If the Pats wanted to trade him by him putting on a show, this was not what they wanted.

If Wilk is 4th, I think this is less valuable in a two TE offense than a 3wr offense so he probably would need an injury to bump him to like a DFS play. Nothing for redraft.

If Harry is minimally hurt- I think it's time to move on. The Pats have more depth WRs they like and it just "feels" like time.

Also, fwiw, I think we might find they move on from a back or two also. After Harris, they're very deep and everyone has their moments. You could throw darts and keep the right few backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
"It's that time of year where teams are definitely paying attention to what's going on in other preseason games.

One player several teams are interested in seeing what New England does with, is wide receiver Kristian Wilkerson."

Albright

3 targets 3 catches- no drops is the followup he needed.

Four Pats WRs with 4-6 ST snaps each. 

Harry out four weeks w three left til the season- contusion from the pass and banged up shoulder

He also was 4/4 to Gunner Olszewski (excluding a defensive hold) and 5/5 to Kristian Wilkerson, who had a resurgent practice

Zach Cox

Led Pats in receiving for preseason.

One show I listen to said he's arguably Jones' favorite target.

One amusing tweet- he's like the dollar store version of Davante Adams

From PFF's Doug Kyed: The Patriots have an interesting decision to make on WR Kristian Wilkerson. Ranked 16th out of 117 qualified wide receivers this preseason in overall PFF  grade. The Patriots could use the wide receiver/special teams depth. Teams will be interested if Wilkerson is waived.

Can't say that I've looked everywhere, but so far I've found two people that have projected Wilkerson to make the final roster (Henry McKenna of Patriots Wire and Chris Mason of Mass Live). They would be in the minority, but we'll know more be the end of tomorrow if he makes the initial 53 man roster. BB loves to tinker with the last few roster spots between cut down day and opening day, so the next step past tomorrow would be sticking on the main roster. I think a lot of the beat guys feel they will try to get him on the practice squad, but that would require him passing through waivers.

A good number of people were surprised on twitter, along with me.

TV guy Alex Barth mentioning he wouldn't be surprised if he's activated for week one with Harry out.

What a messed up situation.

The Pats had a bunch of opt-outs plus off-season additions making it a tougher roster decision than normal years and I get that but...it'll be crazy if they activate/,promote him week one

I don't understand why the Titans didn't pluck this guy off the Pats practice squad during all their injuries at WR. Familiarity is usually huge for midseason pickups and he had a camp with them.

Bottom line though- I don't understand why he's still on the Pats PS. At some point a team needed a WR so why not grab the guy that had a good summer?

After just assuming I'm wrong on this kid, I googled some preseason top performers lists and articles. Now I don't see teams doing this much at all with all players. What's with that? Covid? Practice squads are supposed to have a hint of MLB farm team vibe. How come there isn't much 'stealing' this year?

I don't understand why the Titans didn't pluck this guy off the Pats practice squad during all their injuries at WR. Familiarity is usually huge for midseason pickups and he had a camp with them.

Bottom line though- I don't understand why he's still on the Pats PS. At some point a team needed a WR so why not grab the guy that had a good summer?

After just assuming I'm wrong on this kid, I googled some preseason top performers lists and articles. Now I don't see teams doing this much at all with all players. What's with that? Covid? Practice squads are supposed to have a hint of MLB farm team vibe. How come there isn't much 'stealing' this year?
When the league expanded the practice squad rosters, they allowed teams to protect 4 players each week from being snapped up from other teams. I have no way of knowing if the Pats protected KW or not, but that would be a possible explanation if they did. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
3-22-1 in the first half today so far. He was promoted and Harry a healthy scratch today. Wonder if this means the Pats are finally fed up of getting very little from N’Keal. 

Kid looks comfortable out there…with Harry being a bust and Jonnu not producing Wilkerson has an opportunity to make a little noise.

Users who are viewing this thread