What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Khalil Shakir, BUF (1 Viewer)

Boise State senior WR Khalil Shakir announced that Saturday will likely be his final home game at Boise State as he plans to declare for the 2022 NFL Draft.

This news shouldn't be all that surprising, as Shakir (6'0/190) is draft eligible, and has put together yet another solid season at Boise State, with this one shaping up to be a career-best. On the year, Shakir has totaled 927 yards and five touchdowns while catching 64-of-96 targets. He has already posted career-highs in receptions and yards, and is two touchdowns away from topping his career-high six touchdowns. Per Pro Football Focus, Shakir has lined up in the slot on 74.9% of his snaps, the highest slot rate of his career. Last season he was almost exclusively an outside receiver, lining up wide on 60.6% of his snaps in 2020 compared to just 32% of his snaps in the slot. Shakir is likely a day three pick as it stands right now, but a strong close to his season and solid combine could propel him up boards in the coming months.

SOURCE: BJ Rains on Twitter

Nov 17, 2021, 5:02 PM ET

CBS Sports draft analyst Chris Trapasso compared Boise State WR Khalil Shakir to Los Angeles Rams WR Cooper Kupp.

This is really high praise for Shakir (6'0"/190) as Kupp just won the NFL's offensive player of the year award. The comparison has some merit, as they are very similar stylistically. Both are surprisingly great at attacking the football considering their size, know how to be shifty over the middle of the field, and thrive with the ball in their hands. Pair that with their top roles at non-power five programs and everything comes together nicely. Giving a player a comp like Kupp can be a little bit unfair, but it makes sense stylistically. 

SOURCE: Chris Trapasso

Feb 10, 2022, 10:46 PM ET

MORE

Boise State WR Khalil Shakir ran a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the combine on Thursday night.

Shakir (6'0/190) has drawn comparisons to Cooper Kupp in recent weeks due to his crisp route running, work at the catch point, and ability in the open field. What didn't stand out in his film was speed. He appeared to have fringe 4.5 speed, something that NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah echoed on the broadcast. He surprised everyone by running a 4.35 and backed it up with a 4.40. This will open eyes for evaluators, as Shakir showed an element of his game that wasn't on his tape.

SOURCE: Marcus Mosher

Mar 3, 2022, 9:37 PM ET

Boise State WR Khalil Shakir is the only player in the nation with PFF offensive grades of 85.0 or more in all of the last three seasons. 

In addition to Shakir's (6'0/196) very solid overall grades, he also posted three straight years of PFF receiving grades above 88.0 which is an elite mark that is an impressive feat. Shakir had a monster 2021, reeling in 77-of-114 targets for 1,117 yards, 14.5 YPC, a 68 percent catch rate and seven touchdowns while being recognized as a First Team All-MWC performer for the second consecutive season. The ultra-talented slot receiver's draft stock could be inhibited by his stubby 29" arms, but his 4.43s 40-yard dash and 8.32 overall Relative Athletic Score should help overcome those concerns, as he is projected as a fourth round pick in the upcoming 2022 NFL Draft.

SOURCE: PFF

Apr 20, 2022, 3:38 PM ET

Bills selected Boise State WR Khalil Shakir with the No. 148 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Shakir (6'/196) won't do everything at the NFL level, but he could be excellent on underneath routes and as a yards after catch producer. With a 9.7 career aDOT and 62% of his career snaps in the slot, Shakir was a shallow slot man at Boise. He looks likely to play the same role in the NFL. However, with a 4.43 40, a 38.8-inch vertical, and a 124-inch broad jump at the Combine, Shakir brings enough athleticism to be a productive fantasy player out of the slot. With 386 yards after the catch in 2019, he's flashed impressive playmaking skills as well. He profiles as a Cecil Shorts type who has landed in the right offense to get the opportunity to make splash plays. 

Apr 30, 2022, 2:13 PM ET

Just grabbed at 2.12 in rookie PPR/PremTE. Dude will be a top-12 FF WR within two years. Let the training camp reports flow.
Top-12? With how stacked WR is with young blue chip guys and older productive vets, that’s an extremely bold claim, even setting aside how unlikely it specifically is for any 5th round WR in general to reach those heights. 

ESPN's Alaina Getzenberg believes Bills rookie WR Khalil Shakir will start 2022 in the team's "No. 4 role."

Shakir starting the season as Buffalo's fourth receiver is high praise for the former Boise State Bronco. Likely to settle into the slot for most of his career, Shakir may have to overcome veteran receiver Jamison Crowder to see significant playing time in 2022. He possesses 4.43 speed and saw 76.7% of his snaps come from the slot last season while averaging 6.1 YAC. Playing in Buffalo's explosive offense makes Shakir an interesting stash in dynasty leagues with Crowder's being on a one-year contract.

SOURCE: ESPN

May 4, 2022, 10:34 AM ET

Mister CIA said:
Just grabbed at 2.12 in rookie PPR/PremTE. Dude will be a top-12 FF WR within two years. Let the training camp reports flow.
I am on board with drafting Khalil Shakir/Buf (Rd 5, Pk 148) in dynasty PPR with a 3rd round or later pick.  I feel like Shakir was under-drafted in the fifth round, and his long-term potential in Buffalo is intriguing.

I am curious who in this list below (drafted ahead of Shakir) you would rank Shakir above?

NOTE:  I have left out a couple of second rounders below who I feel were overdrafted by their NFL teams, WanDale Robinson/NyG (Rd 2, Pk 43) and Tyquan Thornton (Rd 2, Pk 50), and a pair of third round receivers who were likely valued more for their special teams abilities, Velus Jones/Chi (Rd 3, Pk 71) and Danny Gray/SF (Rd 3, Pk 105).  I have also left off the fourth-round picks (Erik Ezukanma/Mia, Romeo Doubs/GB and Calvin Austin III/Pit).

1.    Garrett Wilson/NyJ (Rd 1, Pk 10)
2.    Treylon Burks/Ten (Rd 1, Pk 18)
3.    Drake London/Atl (Rd 1, Pk 8 )
4.    Jameson Williams/Det (Rd 1, Pk 12)
5.    Chris Olave/NO (Rd 1, Pk 11)
6.    George Pickens/Pit (Rd 2, Pk 52)
7.    Jahan Dotson/Was (Rd 1, Pk 16)
8.    Skyy Moore/KC (Rd 2, Pk 54)
9.    Christian Watson/GB (Rd 2, Pk 34)
10.    John Metchie III/Hou (Rd 2, Pk 44)
11.    Alec Pierce/Ind (Rd 2, Pk 53)
12.    David Bell/Cle (Rd 3, Pk 99)
13.    Jalen Tolbert/Dal (Rd 3, Pk 88)

Last edited by a moderator:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Top-12? With how stacked WR is with young blue chip guys and older productive vets, that’s an extremely bold claim, even setting aside how unlikely it specifically is for any 5th round WR in general to reach those heights. 

I am on board with drafting Khalil Shakir/Buf (Rd 5, Pk 148) in dynasty PPR with a 3rd round or later pick.  I feel like Shakir was under-drafted in the fifth round, and his long-term potential in Buffalo is intriguing.

I am curious who in this list below (drafted ahead of Shakir) you would rank Shakir above?

NOTE:  I have left out a couple of second rounders below who I feel were overdrafted by their NFL teams, WanDale Robinson/NyG (Rd 2, Pk 43) and Tyquan Thornton (Rd 2, Pk 50), and a pair of third round receivers who were likely valued more for their special teams abilities, Velus Jones/Chi (Rd 3, Pk 71) and Danny Gray/SF (Rd 3, Pk 105).  I have also left off the fourth-round picks (Erik Ezukanma/Mia, Romeo Doubs/GB and Calvin Austin III/Pit).

1.    Garrett Wilson/NyJ (Rd 1, Pk 10)
2.    Treylon Burks/Ten (Rd 1, Pk 18)
3.    Drake London/Atl (Rd 1, Pk 8 )
4.    Jameson Williams/Det (Rd 1, Pk 12)
5.    Chris Olave/NO (Rd 1, Pk 11)
6.    George Pickens/Pit (Rd 2, Pk 52)
7.    Jahan Dotson/Was (Rd 1, Pk 16)
8.    Skyy Moore/KC (Rd 2, Pk 54)
9.    Christian Watson/GB (Rd 2, Pk 34)
10.    John Metchie III/Hou (Rd 2, Pk 44)
11.    Alec Pierce/Ind (Rd 2, Pk 53)
12.    David Bell/Cle (Rd 3, Pk 99)
13.    Jalen Tolbert/Dal (Rd 3, Pk 88)
I was just letting my hyperbole flow, but still I think he was a great add at #24 overall, where I did select him over Jalen Tolbert (it was a very close call). Of the top 12 listed above, I'm down on London and Pierce the most and I think they will be the biggest disappointments.*

* I'm usually wrong about this stuff

I was just letting my hyperbole flow, but still I think he was a great add at #24 overall, where I did select him over Jalen Tolbert (it was a very close call). Of the top 12 listed above, I'm down on London and Pierce the most and I think they will be the biggest disappointments.*

* I'm usually wrong about this stuff
I like Shakir at #24 overall.  If he does not pan out, you have not invested highly in him.  

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia writes Bills rookie WR Khalil Shakir is having "an excellent camp."​

A fifth-round rookie, Shakir looks like a lock for the final roster according to Buscaglia. That is the good news. The bad news is Shakir is staring up at several talented receivers on the depth chart. Barring injuries, he will find targets difficult to come by this season. Still, he looks like a stash in Dynasty formats.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 11, 2022, 4:45 PM ET

Love this kid. Great first preseason game catching 5-92 on 5 targets. He exudes “football player” and I think he has a real bright future in Buffalo. Still cannot believe they got him in round 5.
He was the one guy back in May I wanted to make sure I left my rookie draft with. Likely minimal involvement this year, but I’m very excited about his future.

Stat line looked excellent, but I have a few concerns about strength. He got knocked backwards blocking trying to take on Colt's rookie Nick Cross (6'0", 212 vs Shakir's 6'0", 196) early in the game. Not anything that can't be handled by the weight room and coaching.

If that ends up being the biggest concern Buffalo has about him after his first preseason game as a pro receiver it would be great news. I agree that can be improved on in the weight room/coaching. For comparison sake McKenzie is listed at 5’8” 173.

Bills WR Khalil Shakir caught 5-of-5 targets for 92 yards in Buffalo's 27-24 preseason win over Indianapolis.​

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia notes that Shakir played on the boundary and in the slot, and he could be "quickly turning himself into an option to be their fourth receiver and their-go-to backup boundary receiver for Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis." It says something about Shakir's status that he played as most of the Bills starters sat out in the preseason, but he was legitimately impressive in his preseason debut and has been getting plenty of hype in camp.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Aug 14, 2022, 1:55 PM ET

Did not watch the game, but the stat line looks fine. Caught all three targets for 59 yards.

laa dee dah dee dah, the beat goes on.

Did not watch the game, but the stat line looks fine. Caught all three targets for 59 yards.

laa dee dah dee dah, the beat goes on.
Caught part of the game. His first catch was impressive. Caught the ball in some traffic, planted his foot are reversed direction to pick up another 7-8 yards. The kind of move you generally only see out of the better WRs. Love his future in that offense as the eventual slot receiver.

Crowder out, Kumerow Out, Knox Out, McKenzie not looking good.... am I crazy or is Shakir looking like a really good play this week at home against Pitt?

Thinking of starting him over reynolds and Zay jones

Crowder out, Kumerow Out, Knox Out, McKenzie not looking good.... am I crazy or is Shakir looking like a really good play this week at home against Pitt?

Thinking of starting him over reynolds and Zay jones
I don't know about good start but it's looking like a decent stash. I grabbed him in three leagues. I really don't think McKenzie is good so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up taking his spot.

The kid put up a decent line in spot work due to injuries. Made a nice contested catch early in the game, and then a couple of critical grabs - one for a TD to finish his day. Nice to see him make the best of his opportunity.

Decent game this week. Limited upside this year for redraft but he is the kind of guy who could carve out a ten year career.

Not an amazing talent but just a great football player. High character, detail oriented, puts in the work, coaches dream. I see him developing his craft as a wide receiver and becoming a solid starter down the road. Will be a future team leader, wherever he goes.

Dad was a Master Gunnery Sgt (24 years in the Marines), all three siblings are college athletes. Easy kid to root for, super good person.

Decent game this week. Limited upside this year for redraft but he is the kind of guy who could carve out a ten year career.

Not an amazing talent but just a great football player. High character, detail oriented, puts in the work, coaches dream. I see him developing his craft as a wide receiver and becoming a solid starter down the road. Will be a future team leader, wherever he goes.

Dad was a Master Gunnery Sgt (24 years in the Marines), all three siblings are college athletes. Easy kid to root for, super good person.
Dropped Claypool for him in redraft before the game. I’m happy with that exchange.

Depending on whether you want to see it as good or bad thing (or maybe both), but he also had another ~20 yard pass where he got wide open and the ball bounced right off his chest for a drop.

Depending on whether you want to see it as good or bad thing (or maybe both), but he also had another ~20 yard pass where he got wide open and the ball bounced right off his chest for a drop.
Thanks for adding this - I did not see that play. Hopefully McDermott doesn't hold too much of a grudge, and sees the good this kid can provide. Getting a little bit of an ARSB vibe from this kid..

Yeah but Josh went right back to him for that TD which is a good sign. Also losing his feel for where the sideline was on his other catch is probably just rookie jitters.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether he will still get as many targets when McKensie is back? Are they interchangeable with McKensie ahead - he is playing the slot like McKensie does, correct? But McKensie has been playing ahead of him and also doing decently?

Does anyone have any insight as to whether he will still get as many targets when McKensie is back? Are they interchangeable with McKensie ahead - he is playing the slot like McKensie does, correct? But McKensie has been playing ahead of him and also doing decently?
Shakir seems to be playing better than McKensie, If he keeps playing the way he did yesterday then I would think he'd end up taking over. BUT...
McKenzie is on year 1 of his 2 year contract. McDermott has yet to give any rookie RB/WR's much work in year 1. Hell, Singletary didn't have over 10 carries in a game until week 8 of his rookie year, in which he had 20 carries against Washington. He also missed 3 games due to injury.
Davis played a part time roll his first 2 years, but really started to ball out the 2nd half of last year.
So to answer your questions.
1. No, probably not.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
anything could happen, but based on history with McDermott, I wouldn't expect a whole lot from him this year unless another injury occurs. Next year is a possibility if McKenzie gets released or traded in the offseason. If not, don't expect much until after McKenzie's contract is done. His contract is cheap $8M/2 years, so I wouldn't be surprised if they let him play his contract out and then have Shakir start.

One of the Bills strengths is that they train everyone at all relevant positions. I think they will rotate Shakir in at all 3 receiver roles to keep everyone fresher and he'll cover for any injured or concussion-checked starter. great makeup. Solid future.

One of the Bills strengths is that they train everyone at all relevant positions. I think they will rotate Shakir in at all 3 receiver roles to keep everyone fresher and he'll cover for any injured or concussion-checked starter. great makeup. Solid future.
I think this is very possible. He is capable of playing all 3 WR positions. So are Diggs and Davis. I could definitely see a lot of mixing and matching with those three and McKenzie. I think Dorsey is similar to Dabol in that he’ll use his personnel and formations to force mismatches and exploit the defense.

Khalil Shakir caught 1-of-2 targets for 14 yards in the Bills' Week 6 win against the Chiefs.

Shakir ran a route on just 20 percent of Josh Allen's drop backs but had more yards than primary slot guy Isaiah McKenzie, who ran a route on 60 percent of the team's drop backs. McKenzie made several costly mistakes that could cost him playing time in the coming weeks. Shakir, a rookie who acquitted himself well as a starter in Week 5 against the Steelers, is a strong hold in 12-team leagues through the Bills' Week 7 bye.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Thoughts on Shakir? Still seems to be playing behind McKenzie, but maybe that changes after the bye?

Thoughts on Shakir? Still seems to be playing behind McKenzie, but maybe that changes after the bye?

Like him a lot as a football player. Seriously think he’ll have a solid 8-10 year career. Kid is a dream in terms of work ethic & attitude.

14.3 snaps in weeks McKenzie has been active (+ 2 inactives when Crowder was around.) He’s my second favorite 2nd half breakout sleeper named Khalil, so he’s got that going for him.

Like him a lot as a football player. Seriously think he’ll have a solid 8-10 year career. Kid is a dream in terms of work ethic & attitude.

14.3 snaps in weeks McKenzie has been active (+ 2 inactives when Crowder was around.) He’s my second favorite 2nd half breakout sleeper named Khalil, so he’s got that going for him.
Good call. Would like to see him get more snaps at the expense of McKenzie, but sometimes coaches can be stubborn and resistant to play rookies much (e.g. Andy Reid/Skyy Moore). May take an injury to get Shakir on the field more.

Good call. Would like to see him get more snaps at the expense of McKenzie, but sometimes coaches can be stubborn and resistant to play rookies much (e.g. Andy Reid/Skyy Moore). May take an injury to get Shakir on the field more.

If you have big rosters I think he’s a great hold in redraft. In the Ravens comeback he caught a couple of clutch passes. Next week with IM out he had 38 snaps and 3-75-1. They’re not shying away from getting him involved when they need him to step up. That’s very encouraging. He was a steal in the 5th round, they have confidence using him if needed.

That said, seems clear his role won’t change if everyone stays healthy.

The fact Cole Beasley is getting reps over him is not a good omen. Want to hold, but not seeing the signs I'd hoped for him building on earlier in the year. Thoughts on this future?

The fact Cole Beasley is getting reps over him is not a good omen. Want to hold, but not seeing the signs I'd hoped for him building on earlier in the year. Thoughts on this future?
The Bills haven't been giving their rookie RB/WR's very many reps their first NFL season. Singletary, Moss, Davis, and now Cook haven't received very much playing time until at least mid way through their rookie season. Hold him in dynasty. Cole is only on a 1 year deal and McKenzie is on a 2 year deal, he might be fighting McKenzie for a starting position for next year.

I don’t know what I believe about Shakir. I definitely believe that the Bills don’t give their first or second year prospects an opportunity to shine.

I saw the Bills replace him with 157 year old Beasley late in the year, so I’m not convinced there’s a ton to get excited about here.

Users who are viewing this thread