What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justyn Ross, KC (2 Viewers)

Chuck Hughes of the Lions on Oct 24, 1971 died during a game of a heart attack.

What happened to Darryl Stingley was tragic also.  He didn't die on the field, but he did eventually die years later as a result of that hit and was paralyzed.   Jack Tatum later wrote a book they call me assassin. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s very clear that the key reason why he fell in the NFL Draft was the combine medical checks (and possibly his in-person interviews as a secondary reason). 

Rookie ADP data with Justyn Ross will be interesting to watch as there will be a bump for signing with the Chiefs.

Chiefs signed Clemson WR Justyn Ross.

As a true freshman, Ross (6'4/205) led Clemson in receiving yards while playing alongside Tee Higgins and Hunter Renfrow. In his early college career, he was an explosive downfield threat, delivering an elite 3.41 YPRR in his two seasons with Trevor Lawrence. Following the 2019 season, he dealt with a spinal injury that caused him to miss the entire 2020 season and put his football future in jeopardy. It was a tragic result for a player who at point projected as an early first-round pick. Ross was ultimately able to resume his career in 2021, but he played through a stress fracture in his foot, which curtailed his season. As a senior, he wasn't the field stretcher he had been previously, operating primarily as a slot receiver with a 10.9 aDOT and a far less efficient 2.06 YPRR. If he can recapture his early-career form, Ross projects as a Marvin Jones level deep threat. However, the NFL is clearly skeptical, allowing him to fall out of the draft and out of the first wave of UDFA signings. Still, Ross has flashed elite talent and lands in a perfect spot to maximize his chances of NFL success. 

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

May 2, 2022, 12:35 PM ET

The Athletic's Nick Baumgardner said Chiefs WR Justyn Ross could be a good fit the the KC offense because he "can't be overthrown." 

Health remains the big caveat with Ross, who led Clemson in receiving as a true freshman alongside Tee Higgins and Hunter Renfrow before he required spinal surgery in 2019 and missed the entire 2020 season with a foot injury. Ross played in 2021 despite the foot issue, catching 46 balls for 514 yards and three touchdowns. The Chiefs signed Ross as an undrafted free agent shortly after teams passed on him in the 2022 NFL Draft. He could help the Chiefs fill the downfield targets vacated by Tyreek Hill's departure. Ross will be someone to watch in training camp. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

May 9, 2022, 12:12 PM ET

Doug Kyed's Post-Draft Mailbag: Baker Mayfield's future, Justyn Ross, Bears' receivers and more

Excerpt:

@CASEYSETTJE: THOUGHTS ON JUSTYN ROSS?

Justyn Ross was a classic Kansas City Chiefs signing. There are definitely legitimate concerns about his health, and I was a little bit surprised that he did eventually get picked up as an undrafted free agent based on his congenital spinal condition and the subsequent surgery to relieve pressure on his neck.

I’m cheering for him, though. He was the highest-graded skill player on a 2018 national championship Clemson team that also featured Travis Etienne, Tee Higgins, Hunter Renfrow and Amari Rodgers. He caught 46 passes for 1,000 yards on just 201 receiving snaps that season and notched six receptions for 153 yards with a score in the national championship game against Alabama. He led qualified receivers in yards per route run and looked like a future top-five pick as a true freshman. Then doctors discovered his congenital spine condition. Most importantly, I want Ross to stay healthy. If he can have a productive football career on top of that, it would be incredible.

I would be shocked if he ever gets on an NFL field.  Too much risk (and liability to the team) if they clear him.

According to my twitters research, he needed to have something surgically repaired, not a new injury and that the team is IR stashing him to protect him from being poached while allowing him to fully recover. 

I wonder if whatever it is was known to teams during draft. Could explain UDFA situation. 

Seems like it was the foot, not the spine. I’m not sure he’s worth a roster spot at this point.
The spine will be a big concern still, but seems like a lot of guys end up needing a second surgery with a broken foot (usually guys who come back early iirc). 

I'm not sure this does much to his long term outlook. His best spot is probably the slot role juju is occupying in 2022 anyway. 

Chiefs WR Justyn Ross drew early praise from teammates at the team's voluntary workouts.​

These weren't just any teammates praising Ross' efforts. Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce both spoke highly of the second-year receiver, with Mahomes noting Ross "works his tail off" and that his "talent is through the roof." Ross looked like a blue-chip prospect during his early days at Clemson, but a myriad of injuries derailed what looked to be a promising career. Those same foot injuries sidelined the 2022 UDFA last season, but he appears ready to bounce back this season. The bar is low for Ross, who will need to battle for any and all opportunities to see the field. But early praise from a two-time MVP and future Hall of Fame tight end are encouraging signs.
SOURCE: Jordan Foote on Twitter
Apr 17, 2023, 4:30 PM ET

Ross is also at Mahomes receivers camp in Texas right now working out with the rest of the receivers.

Rose colored glasses see a potentially strong WR corps in KC with Ross & Toney seeing plenty of single coverage behind Kelce.

Mahomes and Kelce praising Ross? I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't reading a headline form last May.

Chiefs HC Andy Reid said WR Justyn Ross has the trust of Patrick Mahomes.

Is Ross SZN coming? It's too early to say, but the Chiefs seem optimistic about the second-year receiver after he missed all of last season recovering from foot surgery. According to Reid, Ross' surgery has "worked out well up to this point," which appears evident based on the highlights and posts floating around Twitter. Ross has a wide range of outcomes heading into this season. On one hand, he's an undrafted player who will need to battle for playing time this offseason. On the other hand, he was a highly-touted prospect before his foot injury, who shockingly went undrafted only to land with the best quarterback in the league. It's possible Ross is one of the more talented receivers on the Chiefs' roster and just needs a clean bill of health to prove it. Those interested in getting in on him would be wise to do so before training camp drives his ADP to new heights.
SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter
Jun 1, 2023, 10:53 AM ET

The Athletic's Nate Taylor has Justyn Ross as the final man out in his post-offseason activities 53-man roster projection.​

Taylor doesn't really seem to have anything bad to say about Ross' work this offseason so far, but he has the Chiefs keeping six wideouts over him -- Kadarius Toney, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Skyy Moore, Justin Watson, Richie James, and Rashee Rice. Ross will get a chance to prove his worth in the preseason, and it's probably good news in an overall sense that he's viewed as this close to a roster spot after a lost 2022 season.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 22, 2023, 2:33 PM ET

NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters
Justyn Ross - Rising - “Just minutes after Kadarius Toney sustained his knee injury, Ross was selected by the coaching staff to receive first-team repetitions, a very encouraging sign for his development.“Nagy on Ross: “He’s a bigger receiver, but when you watch him, he really excels at route running. He’s learning his timing, for Pat to understand how he runs routes. It’s going to be immense growth for him, in a good way.”

The only issue is he probably won’t be able to play special teams. Which, if you are the last WR on the roster, you have to be able to do that.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Justyn Ross’ leg injury “does not appear to be serious.”
Ross was carted off the practice field into the locker room during Tuesday’s practice with what could be a hamstring injury. After missing the entire 2022 season with a foot injury, Ross has been a highlight of Kansas City training camp, competing for a starting job as a boundary wideout. Assuming Ross doesn’t miss significant time, he’s a sensible late-round pick in 12-team leagues.

A nice thing about owning this guy is that: just by being on KC, one big game early and his value skyrockets. Because everyone wants a shot at Mahomes' next #1.

If this kid goes 5/120/1 in week 1, what could you trade him for that week? :lol:

A nice thing about owning this guy is that: just by being on KC, one big game early and his value skyrockets. Because everyone wants a shot at Mahomes' next #1.

If this kid goes 5/120/1 in week 1, what could you trade him for that week? :lol:
Oh my goodness if that happens. You could fill the Grand Canyon with the amount of salt from those who didn't roster Ross ahead of time. The flip side would be the sheer amount of victory laps by those who did, it would be unbearable. Saying this as a Ross owner myself, expect many inactives from him beginning the year and anything more is a bonus.

Last years Gabe Davis :P

Users who are viewing this thread