What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Julio Jones, PHI (1 Viewer)

I really wish they just didn't use him this week. Unless his ankle feels completely fine, I don't see them making the same mistake again. I think he'll be benched next week in favor of getting him healthy. I really could use him this week, but I'd rather have him healthy during the fantasy playoffs.
:goodposting: Agreed!
While that may be fine for both of you, those of us fighting to get to the playoffs disagree. For me though, it's not as a Jones owner, but as a Ryan owner and how it effects him.

I really wish they just didn't use him this week. Unless his ankle feels completely fine, I don't see them making the same mistake again. I think he'll be benched next week in favor of getting him healthy. I really could use him this week, but I'd rather have him healthy during the fantasy playoffs.
:goodposting: Agreed!
While that may be fine for both of you, those of us fighting to get to the playoffs disagree. For me though, it's not as a Jones owner, but as a Ryan owner and how it effects him.
Too small a sample size to draw any definitive conclusions obviously but that was probably the worst game Ryan has played all season. Did having Jones at less than full strength impact the playcalling and his decision making? Maybe.

News: Falcons coach Mike Smith said wide receiver Julio Jones, who left Sunday's game against the Cardinals after aggravating an ankle injury, is expected to practice this week and he is "very optimistic" about Jones moving forward, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Atlanta is at Tampa Bay Week 12.

News: Falcons coach Mike Smith said wide receiver Julio Jones, who left Sunday's game against the Cardinals after aggravating an ankle injury, is expected to practice this week and he is "very optimistic" about Jones moving forward, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Atlanta is at Tampa Bay Week 12.
:link: , because:Julio Jones (ankle) was held out of Wednesday's practice.However, Jones did participate in the walk-through portions of practice, and coach Mike Smith expects him to "participate more" on Thursday. Jones couldn't make it through Sunday's win, but the signs are looking good for Week 12. Even in a limited role, Jones will be nearly impossible to bench in fantasy leagues. For now, he's Rotoworld's No. 15 receiver for Week 12. Nov 21 - 4:27 PMSource: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitterhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6475/julio-jones

Last edited by a moderator:
:link: , because:Julio Jones (ankle) was held out of Wednesday's practice.However, Jones did participate in the walk-through portions of practice, and coach Mike Smith expects him to "participate more" on Thursday. Jones couldn't make it through Sunday's win, but the signs are looking good for Week 12. Even in a limited role, Jones will be nearly impossible to bench in fantasy leagues. For now, he's Rotoworld's No. 15 receiver for Week 12. Nov 21 - 4:27 PMSource: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitterhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6475/julio-jones
Yeah and they said he was impossible to bench last week and look how that ended up. Would have started DX in his place. I'm going to have to roll with DX again this week with Harvin iffy but Jones doesn't improve much by Saturday, I'm going to have to roll with Blackmon off the WW.

:link: , because:
Gosh, it sure was difficult to type 'Tampa Bay Times' into google, visit the webpage, type 'Julio Jones' into the search box and click the first result:http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/schiano-too-early-tell-if-wright-will-play

From RW:

Julio Jones (ankle) was held out of Wednesday's practice.

However, Jones did participate in the walk-through portions of practice, and coach Mike Smith expects him to "participate more" on Thursday. Jones couldn't make it through Sunday's win, but the signs are looking good for Week 12. Even in a limited role, Jones will be nearly impossible to bench in fantasy leagues. For now, he's Rotoworld's No. 15 receiver for Week 12.

i know this is an important division game and all, but we saw how it went lastweek when he tried to gut it out as any competitor would, but maybe try saving himself from himself and let him get fully healthy.

i know this is an important division game and all, but we saw how it went lastweek when he tried to gut it out as any competitor would, but maybe try saving himself from himself and let him get fully healthy.
But it's important to note that Julio did not practice at all last week. Therefore, it may be unlike last week's game if if Julio can get live practice in this week.

But it's important to note that Julio did not practice at all last week. Therefore, it may be unlike last week's game if if Julio can get live practice in this week.
That and you have to think the coaching staff learned something from trying to play him at less than full strength last week. I'd be surprised if they made the same mistake again.

That and you have to think the coaching staff learned something from trying to play him at less than full strength last week. I'd be surprised if they made the same mistake again.
+1 Especially since they know they have a home division game on a short week-- the Saints.Considering the above, it will be safer starting Julio this week over last week (that does not mean he won't get reinjured, just that it's safer, if that makes sense). :)

As already stated, I cannot see the team making the mistake of playing a hobbled Jones again after last week.

With the short week and the Thursday nighter, I would have thought they woud give him the rest. If he plays he's ready to go. At least I hope, I cannot afford to have another stinker like that when I have viable options on my bench to replace him.

Julio practiced some. Better than last week.
Yep:Julio Jones (ankle) returned to Falcons practice Thursday, getting in a limited session.As coach Mike Smith said he would. It's not a guarantee Jones will suit up against the Bucs after he couldn't make it through last Sunday's win, but he's trending in the right direction. It's possible Jones will end up a game-time decision, but thankfully the Falcons are kicking off at 1ET. Jones is Rotoworld's No. 15 receiver for Week 12. Nov 22 - 1:34 PMSource: Jay Adams on Twitterhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6475/julio-jones

Julio Jones is questionable for Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with a lingering ankle sprain. How much we see of the Atlanta Falcons wideout will likely depend on how this NFC South battle unfolds.

NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reported Saturday the pace of the matchup might dictate how Jones is used on offense. The second-year receiver sprained his ankle in Week 10 and played only 35 of 73 snaps in last Sunday's win against the Arizona Cardinals before re-aggravating the ankle.
This isn't good enough. I'm in a must-win situation... can't risk a 20-yard day. :no:

I wish he would take a week off to just get healthy.
Part of me agrees but another part of me does not want him to miss out on a great matchup like this one. I'm hoping the Falcons' coaches are smart here and if they play him tomorrow that means they're confident he'll be able to play next Thursday against the Saints. I absolutely don't want him missing out on that matchup.

This is a key matchup for the Falcons. No one is taking the Bucs seriously even though they are only one game back in the divisional loss column. The Bucs are red hot and this is a game they want to make a statement that they are for real. I think it's going to be a dogfight. So expect all hands on deck for ATL. Julio will likely make a go of it, because he is very much needed. But it may be as a decoy to open up space for other ATL WR's. It's hard to trust him even though many fantasy outlets are telling you he's a must start if he's active. If you need him start him. If you have safer options, consider them on Sunday. With playoffs assured, I selfishly want Julio to sit and heal up. His pushing his body thru injury doesn't do any Julio owner any good come fantasy playoff time. I'd rather have 100% of Julio in week 15 and 16 than 65% of Julio in every week going fwd and him progressively getting worse.

I'll say the same thing here I said last week about Jones being a decoy - I don't buy it. It makes no sense for the Falcons to run the risk of Jones making his injury worse if the team knows going into the game they don't want to use him. The short-term benefits of such an approach could derail the long-term goal if Jones makes the injury worse. Plus, if the Bucs' coaches have any brains at all, they'll quickly adjust if it becomes clear the Falcons have no interest in throwing the ball to Jones. If he plays, I expect him to be involved in the game plan as usual. I think how effective he'll be will come down to how healthy he is and if he can stay healthy the entire game.

In my opinion, if Julio starts this week, you start him in fantasy.

Why?

We saw what happened last week when Julio played--he got injured, and was ineffective, so I doubt the falcons do that AGAIN this week.

And second, and more importantly, the Falcons play the Saints on Thursday. I doubt the Falcons would activate Julio just for a decoy when the Thursday game may be just as, if not more, important than Sunday's game.

Mam I'm really torn here. I made a major blunder last week switching him in last minute and benching DA. That might have cost me a playoff spot. Another mistake and it will cost a spot. I hate ff.

Benching him for Shorts in my 12tm redraft league, Starting him over E. Sanders and Hankerson in 16tm dynasty. Figure I'm hedging my bets and I am pretty much forced to start him in my dynasty with Harvin now ruled out, I'm super thin at wr. However in redraft I'm rolling with hot-hand Shorts. Hoping at least one, maybe both can pull off a decent 5-110-1 game

Is Douglas the #3 WR on ATL? Is j worth grabbing him off waivers and starting him if Jones is limited again? Sorry but don't get to see many ATL games up here.

Mam I'm really torn here. I made a major blunder last week switching him in last minute and benching DA. That might have cost me a playoff spot. Another mistake and it will cost a spot. I hate ff.
I benched him last week, but started D Moore instead of DX. Won't happen again. I'm starting DX, who ironically, is the one not dealing with an injury (at this point).

I'm leaving him on my bench this week, but I have some decent options.

Cruz and Cobb at WR & Hillman at Flex

This week a likely 10 game is more important than the risk of a 3 point game vs the reward of a 20 point game you could get from Julio.

Per Jene Bramel:

I thought Julio Jones was clearly limited during last week’s game and was concerned that he worsened his syndesmotic sprain on a tackle in the third quarter last week. So, I’m pleasantly surprised that he has been able to practice, though limited, this week. But I’m still not convinced he’s a lock to be effective today. Though the injury may be mild enough that Jones can again convince the training and medical staff to allow him to play, expect them to watch him very closely and potentially limit his snaps as they did early last week. If Jones is active, I expect we’ll see the Falcons use him as they did last week – primarily in critical third down and red zone situations and when they’d like to take a shot deep, with Jones running routes that keep him moving in a vertical direction and don’t require him to change directions quickly. Fantasy recommendation: Jones is a little safer this week than last, and the matchup against a soft Tampa Bay passing defense is helpful. Consider him a boom-bust WR2 this week, with a similar floor to his Week 11 performance.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Too start or not too start that is the question. Still looking for any "new" information this morning.

Thanks everyone! God Bless

Per CBS Sports

Julio Jones, WR, ATL

News: Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones is expected to play in the Week 12 game at Tampa Bay, reports ESPN Sunday. Jones was listed as questionable on the injury report due to an ankle injury that forced him out of the Week 11 game. NFL.com reported Saturday that Jones is, indeed, expected to play, though the pace of play could dictate exactly how much time he sees on the field. Jones will square off against the NFL's worst pass defense as the Buccaneers have surrendered 312.6 yards per game through the air to opponents this season.

Analysis: The fact that Jones is expected to suit up and be active at all is good news, certainly. That said, Fantasy owners may not be able to count on Jones for a full game's worth of action. He's not 100 percent healthy and may be limited in snap count and upside for the game against the Buccaneers. Jones, who needs just 264 yards to top 1,000 receiving yards for the first time in his brief career, has shined in his first two games against Tampa Bay. In his two games last season, he posted a 100-yard outing and a two-touchdown performance. However, he's struggled due to the ankle the last two games with just seven grabs for 108 yards in that span. We advise Fantasy owners to keep him active against a struggling Bucs defense, however.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people - getting hit with the injury bug (Julio, McCoy, and Harvin)...I'm rolling the dice with Julio today figuring after being pulled from last week's game I don't think they'd roll Julio out there this week as a decoy if the Falcons think that he can't help contribute this week

I have Torrey Smith and am torn of what to do. I'm already in the playoffs so this is just for seeding. Smith is boom or bust as well.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people - getting hit with the injury bug (Julio, McCoy, and Harvin)...I'm rolling the dice with Julio today figuring after being pulled from last week's game I don't think they'd roll Julio out there this week as a decoy if the Falcons think that he can't help contribute this week
Rolling with Julio Jones this week per all the news I have heard this morning from all of the above posts and what I have just watched on Fantasy Football Now, etc.

Sounds like I'm going to roll with him. All my other options are boom/bust like him (Moore, Hilton Hillman).

I'll test my luck with Juliooooo

i wish they'd just sit him and let him get fully healthy. Sure, today is a divisional road game, but it is not a must-win. How bad will it be if he re-aggravates it today and not only has to leave the game today, but possibly misses Thursday's game?

Any news on his pregame warmup. Last week they said he only ran 8 routes before returning to locker room. Just curious if he is out there a lil' more today before deciding.

I do not have other great options, but I am going to sit him. The downside is too large to ignore. I would say 30% chance of 20 or fewer yards is realistic, and a chance I cannot take

i wish they'd just sit him and let him get fully healthy. Sure, today is a divisional road game, but it is not a must-win. How bad will it be if he re-aggravates it today and not only has to leave the game today, but possibly misses Thursday's game?
Agreed. I said the same last week. If they keep this up hr will be 50% julio into the playoffs.

Screw it. He's back in my lineup.

I couldn't take it if I got knocked out of the playoffs because I left my 2nd-round pick on the pine.

Last week I sat him and predicted 3 catches for 45 yds. I was pretty close to 3/33. :thumbup:

This week, after looking better in practice, I predict 6 catches for 85 yds and 1 td. ;)

Tampa is hurting in the secondary and Julio will get one 40 to 50 yard pass, maybe for that td.

Atlanta will pass a lot this game as Turner is sloooowing down.

I do not have other great options, but I am going to sit him. The downside is too large to ignore. I would say 30% chance of 20 or fewer yards is realistic, and a chance I cannot take
Actually, after rethinking my options (StevieJ and Hartline) Jones is back in :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread