What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

You would need to understand the context.  There was a reason they focused on running game.
Because they couldn't pass? I don't know, didn't see the game. But I would think in pre-season, you need to work on all aspects of the offense, especially with all new QBs.

Because they couldn't pass? I don't know, didn't see the game. But I would think in pre-season, you need to work on all aspects of the offense, especially with all new QBs.
You didn't watch the game, have nothing to back it up.. doubling down?

They had a stated plan and they followed it.  They looked good doing it too imo.  Really bodes well for the whole offense when you take it in context.

Having said that.. neither QB looked as good last night.  They both seemed low energy to me, almost like they knew they were not the focus of the game plan.

Gordon is a train wreck.  Dump him now, while you can still get something.  He will always let you down.  Some of you remind me of the broken woman who gets a regular beat down from her man, and still keeps going back to him.  

I know, I know.  "I'm not selling low".  Just like she said "He said he won't do it again"
I've said it for awhile,  any decent franchise would unload him to just rid themselves of the headaches.  seriously whats the point?

You didn't watch the game, have nothing to back it up.. doubling down?

They had a stated plan and they followed it.  They looked good doing it too imo.  Really bodes well for the whole offense when you take it in context.
Did you not notice the question mark? That indicates an interrogative as opposed to a statement of fact. I thought that was fairly clear but I guess not.

I've said it for awhile,  any decent franchise would unload him to just rid themselves of the headaches.  seriously whats the point?
I don’t mind a team having humanity. It seems like the Browns are doing ahat they can to help Josh get his off-field life together. 

Obviously it’s not 100% altruistic, but as you suggested - most teams would have dumped him, walked away & washed their hands of the whole thing. 

I’m actually a bit impressed by the commitment they’ve shown to him off the field  

I don’t mind a team having humanity. It seems like the Browns are doing ahat they can to help Josh get his off-field life together. 

Obviously it’s not 100% altruistic, but as you suggested - most teams would have dumped him, walked away & washed their hands of the whole thing. 

I’m actually a bit impressed by the commitment they’ve shown to him off the field  
Maybe but to me it feels like a "Brownsesque" move to continue to put up with this.  How is this even remotely helping the team having to deal with him?

Maybe but to me it feels like a "Brownsesque" move to continue to put up with this.  How is this even remotely helping the team having to deal with him?
Putting up with what.  He and the team came to an agreement on this plan... is there something else going on im not aware of?

Is this soulfly level shtick or are you being serious?  I honestly dont know.
The repeated attempts to portray this absence as anything but 100% supported by the team from owner to GM to coaches to players is .... weird?

They came to this plan together and have stuck to the plan. 

They are "putting up with" Gordon doing.... exactly what they agreed he would?  :shrug:

Let’s see if he can get through a couple games before we get too excited from an FF standpoint. Not a promising resume of reliability. Wish him the best but have no interest in counting on him for magic football.

The repeated attempts to portray this absence as anything but 100% supported by the team from owner to GM to coaches to players is .... weird?

They came to this plan together and have stuck to the plan. 

They are "putting up with" Gordon doing.... exactly what they agreed he would?  :shrug:
::sigh::

so now he is back this is the end to his drama.  amirie?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let’s see if he can get through a couple games before we get too excited from an FF standpoint. Not a promising resume of reliability. Wish him the best but have no interest in counting on him for magic football.
Yeah, no shot I take him at his current ADP. He'l have trouble pushing 100 targets unless Mayfield takes over sooner than expected. 

Matuski, relax man. He failed another test and is getting arrested for child support. 

We have to live w that

Last edited by a moderator:
What drama.. again, the plan was made.  The plan was followed.

When is following the plan drama?  Especially when a large part of the plan was made to avoid the threat of drama.
Well, the plan sucked.  He missed training camp and likely won't be anywhere near where he would have been had be been in camp all along.  

So to go with the wife beating analogy, the plan was to only smack her 3 times this year.  Plan was followed.  Doesnt mean it was a good plan or effective.  

The guy is way behind, and he was way behind before even getting more behind.  

Oh yeah, and he still hasnt played a game yet, so not exactly ringing the victory bell yet here.

Well, the plan sucked.  He missed training camp and likely won't be anywhere near where he would have been had be been in camp all along.  

So to go with the wife beating analogy, the plan was to only smack her 3 times this year.  Plan was followed.  Doesnt mean it was a good plan or effective.  

The guy is way behind, and he was way behind before even getting more behind.  

Oh yeah, and he still hasnt played a game yet, so not exactly ringing the victory bell yet here.
its no use to trying to argue, trying to get a homer to understand is not very effective.  But truth be told if it was my fav team I would have the same head in the sand attitude as well.  Just how it goes. 

I will say it again here on Aug 18th, any other halfway decent franchise would have went their separate ways with him.  And I would bet dollars to donuts this is not the end to his drama for this season. 

its no use to trying to argue, trying to get a homer to understand is not very effective.  But truth be told if it was my fav team I would have the same head in the sand attitude as well.  Just how it goes. 

I will say it again here on Aug 18th, any other halfway decent franchise would have went their separate ways with him.  And I would bet dollars to donuts this is not the end to his drama for this season. 
He's on a super cheap rookie contract and has All-Pro talent. No, a halfway decent franchise would not let him walk for free. 

He's on a super cheap rookie contract and has All-Pro talent. No, a halfway decent franchise would not let him walk for free. 
We can agree to disagree but I think thats insane.

How many strikes, failed drug tests and general drama instances are we up to now?  Double digits?

I will never understand how some of you almost seem to have personal investment in the failure of Josh Gordon.  To the point of being insulting to people who don't feel the same way you do, which is even more puzzling.

Good for him that's he's ready to go, good for the Browns that they felt he was worth the patience.  That said, I can not see paying a 4/5 for him, as Bloom has suggested on Twitter.  I hope Josh Gordon can keep himself clean, focus on football, and possibly return to being something near the player he was.  I think that would be a fantastic story of perseverance, I just won't spend fantasy draft capital betting on it.

I will never understand how some of you almost seem to have personal investment in the failure of Josh Gordon.  To the point of being insulting to people who don't feel the same way you do, which is even more puzzling.

Good for him that's he's ready to go, good for the Browns that they felt he was worth the patience.  That said, I can not see paying a 4/5 for him, as Bloom has suggested on Twitter.  I hope Josh Gordon can keep himself clean, focus on football, and possibly return to being something near the player he was.  I think that would be a fantastic story of perseverance, I just won't spend fantasy draft capital betting on it.
This is a great post. 

its all from a fantasy perspective 

Again, he has less practice time last year then he will now and still managed 18.6 YPC with Deshone Kizer as his QB.

I am surprised at how anyone doubts what this guy needs to be able to be effective on the field.

How do you know this for sure??
I don't know anything for sure, all I can ever do is speculate. But Tyrod has shown that he sometimes moves too quickly through his progressions and that he likes to pull the ball down and flee the pocket too early when he senses pressure. Haley's offensive philosophy is one thing, but he's primarily worked with Big Ben and Kurt Warner during his career and no one is going to compare them to Tyrod. When he worked with Cassel in KC, Cassel averaged ~500 attempts per year over the course of three seasons and he non-coincidentally also scrambled a lot more than Ben/Warner. If you're expecting the Browns to be a better team this year that finds themselves with more positive game scripts and an ultra conservative QB at the helm I think it's fair to expect them to be near the bottom of the league in pass attempts.

I have CLE pegged to attempt ~500 passes and for Gordon to command a 18-20% market share. That'd put him in a range of 90-100 targets. Of course I could be wrong, but I feel comfortable at least assuming that he's not going to see some massive target total that could propel him into the high-end WR1 ranks this year. He can also do a lot with 90-100 targets but not enough for me to take him in the 4th/5th round.

Since #Brown WR Josh Gordon is still in jointly negotiated substance abuse program, he’s subject to certain conditions. Per @NFLprguy: “This part of the process. Can attend meetings, do conditioning. Can go to practice but not participate. No timetable on next step.”

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1030860966756536320

What now?  I didn't think there were any restrictions on his ability to participate in practice?

Again, he has less practice time last year then he will now and still managed 18.6 YPC with Deshone Kizer as his QB.

I am surprised at how anyone doubts what this guy needs to be able to be effective on the field.
nobody is questioning his on field performance 

Users who are viewing this thread