What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

I got criticized earlier in this thread by a poster for trading him for a 1st in the 2014 preseason because his risk/reward factor was more than I could stomach. Whether this turns into an actual suspension or not, these kinds of stories are why I'm happy to not have him on my team anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I'm about to just run the bus over this kid the NFL pulls a level of PR absurdity I've never seen anyone else have. Suspension for alcohol is so stupid.

When he gets back you are going to see go route after go route of Gordon just blowing by corners on his fresh legs. Something to prove and something to gain for Gordon. Been getting some offers in my keeper and its hard to let go knowing everything legally currently is behind him and if he can keep clean his value will only gain more and more with every week.

I really do not think you will see him mess up, he had a come to Jesus meeting with someone. He could of just sat in his house and smoke weed since everyone thinks thats all he does, but instead he chose to go work at a car dealership and even after his suspension was reduced chose to stay at the dealership. This is a kid with a bad past with weed and is making a choice most who do weed dont and that is working when he dont have to.

What will be the most shocking thing out of all this that many do not realize and wont know until it breaks, is I think with the new CBA Gordon is at a lower risk to get suspended then some people who you are not thinking of because they will fail HGH tests. How is that for a twist of irony?

Who is to say Julio Jones is now not more of a risk then Josh Gordon? People in the fantasy world have been shocked before.
You get 6 games this year and then hope he can stay clean for an entire year or he gets another indefinite suspension - this time he won't get bailed out by the NFLPA.

Every time he's messed up in his life he's claimed he's changed only to make the same stupid mistakes again.
You are obviously a person who doesnt like him, so it doesnt matter what he does your mind is made up and you think he will never amount to anything. You dislike him so much why do you visit this thread?
Wait, because I'm realistic it means I hate him? He one of the best receivers in the game if he can stop being a dummy.
:popcorn:

Twisted Sports Jokes ‏@TwistedSports1 ·

Josh Gordon failed another drug test and will face a 1 year ban from the NFL. If I had to deal with Manziel at qb I would do drugs too.

Between the wasted 1st rounder on Manzier and this loser, the Browns went from building towards contender status right back to last in the division for quite a while.

Between the wasted 1st rounder on Manzier and this loser, the Browns went from building towards contender status right back to last in the division for quite a while.
Could have had a Bridgewater/Insert rookie WR here combo for a long time to come. Couple that with Charles Johnson getting cut and it's the same tomfoolery in Cleveland that it's always been.

This guy is droppable in all formats. I fell for him hook, line, and sinker. He cares more about getting drunk and high than football. I, too, was wrong about this guy.

You have to wonder if the Browns would have been sitting pretty right now if Jimmy Haslam had some patience and decided not to fire Joe Banner. According to reports, Banner was looking to move Gordon two years ago.

At some point he may as well just accept that he is what he is, forget about trying to be an NFL player, and go happily through life stoned, drunk, and poor. He doesn't possess the willpower, character, use whatever word you like, to change. That doesn't make him a horrible person, it just makes him another ex-NFL player with lots of ability and little to show for it. The history of the league is littered with these people, each with his own reason for failure.

Rotoworld:

A source tells Profootballtalk.com that a successful appeal for Josh Gordon's latest suspension is "unlikely at this point."
Gordon allegedly tested positive for alcohol, something he was presumably prohibited from consuming in connection with his laundry list of drug-related misdeeds. Per PFT's Mike Florio, Gordon's one-year ban is likely a "done deal." The Browns need wide receiver help. And a quarterback.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Jan 25 - 4:02 PM
Profootballtalk's Mike Florio confirms Josh Gordon's one-year suspension stems from a failed test for alcohol, a substance Gordon was prohibited from consuming following his July 2014 DUI.
Consuming alcohol seems minor to all of us, but it was explicitly banned for Gordon as part of his DUI treatment plan. As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted on Twitter, the NFL's substance abuse policy is "extremely strict and spelled out. He'll wait for 2016." Gordon will be 25 1/2 years old when the 2016 season kicks off. He led the NFL in receiving yards at age 22.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Jan 25 - 4:14 PM
Due to his latest suspension, Josh Gordon's contract will be tolled through the 2016 season, and he will only be eligible for restricted free agency in 2017.
This assumes the Browns don't cut Gordon. If they hold onto his rights -- doing wouldn't count against Cleveland's roster limit -- Gordon will be signed for 2016 and eligible for the Browns to "tender" in 2017. All of this also assumes Gordon commits no violations during his year away. His contract will continue to be "tolled" as long as he's suspended.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 25 - 5:01 PM

Wonder how he is going to claim "2nd hand Alcohol". Maybe he'll claim he kissed a drunk girl? Or maybe the Welker "Someone spiked my punch" defense?

I planned for this and traded for a WR but failing an alcohol test is like so high school. How is this possible? The NFLPA is a joke.

I know this was discussed ad nauseam waaaaay up thread, but the inability to control one's urges, including substance addiction, has nothing to do with being dumb or not.

I planned for this and traded for a WR but failing an alcohol test is like so high school. How is this possible? The NFLPA is a joke.
Rules is rules. Once you're in the program it's very tough to get out. Matt Jones final suspension was for having a beer on a golf course while in the program.

I know this was discussed ad nauseam waaaaay up thread, but the inability to control one's urges, including substance addiction, has nothing to do with being dumb or not.
You're right, but you also have to be very dumb not to get help with your addiction when there's so much money on the line - and I don't mean a week at a posh 'rehab' clinic in Malibu.

You're right, but you also have to be very dumb not to get help with your addiction when there's so much money on the line - and I don't mean a week at a posh 'rehab' clinic in Malibu.
Dumb is the wrong word. I'm guessing he was in programs to try to help him.

He's a moron but this alcohol testing policy is beyond dumb.
You mean the part about where he agreed to lay off the booze and agreed to be tested as part of his reinstatement, with the knowledge that testing >.06 would land him a year suspension?

Not sure what's dumb about it other than the fact that Gordon didn't follow terms of his agreement.

You mean the part about where he agreed to lay off the booze and agreed to be tested as part of his reinstatement, with the knowledge that testing >.06 would land him a year suspension?

Not sure what's dumb about it other than the fact that Gordon didn't follow terms of his agreement.
He HAD to sign it or he couldnt play. Doesnt mean the tersm arent dumb.

I would agree suspending guys for alcohol is pretty dumb.

He cant drink because he had the DUI. Maybe they should just suspend him if, ya know, he gets a DUI again.

BUt the fact that he signed an agreement doesnt mean teh agreement isn't ridiculous.

He cant drink because he had the DUI. Maybe they should just suspend him if, ya know, he gets a DUI again.

BUt the fact that he signed an agreement doesnt mean teh agreement isn't ridiculous.
Great idea!!! Maybe if he kills someone then the league won't even have to suspend him!!

Suspending players with know substance use disorders who fail an alcohol test is not dumb when spendin millions on players who if they relapse can be a wasted investment. Gordon knew the terms. His inability to stop despite terrible professionally suggests he needs a higher level of treatment. It seems like he has little insight into the role drugs and alcohol play in his life. This failed test says a lot to me

Users who are viewing this thread