What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

pghrob said:
The NFL is ill equipped to deal with how to support potential superstars who struggle with chronic use of recreational alcohol and marijuana. They have proven that they do not yet have a solution on how to find a way to help these young, talented, but troubled users who cannot control their desire to use these recreational substances. Until the figure out a way to help them, the NFL and its fans are going to be left wondering what could have been with guys like Blackmon and perhaps Gordon.
I just don't get this position. So a guy is man enough to garner massive paychecks - sometimes in the millions per year range, but he requires hand holding and nursing to maintain a modicum of behavior to continue to earn?When do these "boys" become man enough to have it register what they are placing at risk and taking some personal responsibility? Seems to me that owning the responsibility for one's behavior is necessary for responsible behavior. Enabling the behavior with excuses is the last thing that is going to positively affect these guys.

Players come and go. The game goes on with or without them.
I consider that to be an obtuse conclusion that demonstrates a lack of understanding of the reality of athletes lives before and after they are given millions of dollars.
And I consider your position one of well intentioned but thoughtless enabling. I was an athlete and I played with some kids out of very poor and bad backgrounds. Some gratefully took advantage of the opportunity and some simply didn't give a damn. But I never saw one of the kids who didn't give a damn change until they wanted their lives to change, no matter how much coddling and nose wiping was provided for them. And the more those kids were enabled through all the excuse making and protection, the more they expected to get away with continuing with their bad behavior.I understand the desire to try to shift blame away from these guys, but ultimately they are responsible (or irresponsible) to themselves. If they are adult enough to be paid millions, they are adult enough to be treated like adults.
Who said anything about enabling or coddling or shifting blame as a solution? In fact those are the problems.My point is that many athletes, particularly the ones who are good enough to make a career out of it, are surrounded with a sense of invincibility and entitlement. The problem is that many of the people who should be shaping them into responsible adults instead selfishly use them to further their careers while turning a blind eye to their misdeeds. The ones who really struggle likely have additional issues of lack of accountability from their family and friends as well. So having seldom or never been held accountable in their entire lives why would you suddenly expect them to have the ability to do so when they have just been given millions of dollars?

Even the majority of the ones who do take responsibility for their actions, and that is the majority of athletes, end up losing all of their money within a few years after they are no longer getting paid to play. And that relates the system failing to teach them how to deal with a huge windfall and all the pitfalls associated with it.

So just telling them that they need to be accountable and figure it out, which is exactly what the NFL punishment policy endorses, is at best outdated and at worst draconian.

Guys like Blackmon (definitely) and Gordon (possibly) need counseling and education not being shown the door and isolating them from what may be their only true support system (or at least the team should be their support system). There is no reason the NFL cannot provide the help they need during the process of punishing them for their misdeeds.
The system again. It's the system's fault. They have no power to decide for themselves and to learn. The system made them do it. I don't see any one of them being forcibly coerced into this, so that must mean at some point that the person making the decisions must be themselves. And just like with all of us, some of those bad choices have bad endings.Your position implies they have limited or no free will. I reject that argument.

Balderdash!
Poppycock!!

Your position implies they could perform neurosurgery without study and training, I reject that implication.
And so rational debate gives way to outrageous hyperbole.
Yeah and saying they had no free will was completely reasonable.
Um, I wasn't the one making that argument. You put forth that it was the actions of others that put them in the position they were in.I agree when you speak to enabling, but disagree when you imply that they don't have the ability to think for themselves as they mature and become adults.

Unless I completely misread your post I cited, you called accountability "outdated" and "draconian".

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a strong feeling that the suspension will be announced next Friday August 1st

Just a strong gut feeling, nothing factual to base that on
Being reported on ESPN radio & Sirius NFL channel for the past couple hours that his appeal will be heard Aug.1st
Hmm, I wouldn't think that the announcement would be the same day as the appeal. We may be looking at the 2nd week in August if the appeal hearing isn't until next Friday.

Your position implies they could perform neurosurgery without study and training, I reject that implication.
And so rational debate gives way to outrageous hyperbole.
Yeah and saying they had no free will was completely reasonable.
Um, I wasn't the one making that argument. You put forth that it was the actions of others that put them in the position they were in.I agree when you speak to enabling, but disagree when you imply that they don't have the ability to think for themselves as they mature and become adults.

Unless I completely misread your post I cited, you called accountability "outdated" and "draconian".

Where are you getting any of that from? I made no such argument, you inferred it so that's on you. It is a big stretch to draw that conclusion from my statements, which is why I made an equally ridiculous conclusion from your statement.

You did misread my post:

So just telling them that they need to be accountable and figure it out, which is exactly what the NFL punishment policy endorses, is at best outdated and at worst draconian...

...There is no reason the NFL cannot provide the help they need during the process of punishing them for their misdeeds.
"During" not 'in lieu of".

Then I said

And to be clear I am not suggesting eliminating punishment, hitting them in the wallet is a great way to go about that, but there is no reason they cannot be counseled/educated at the same time because removing access to what is most likely their best support system is draconian.
They have the free will to make any decision they want but that does not guarantee they will make good decisions. Good decision making is a learned skill not an innate ability, which seems to be the point you are not accepting.

For some of these guys the NFL suspension is the first time they have ever faced a serious consequence for their actions so go figure if some of them don't immediately change after years of living a life of limited consequences.

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports Josh Gordon checked into rehab following his arrest for DWI earlier this month.
It's a much-needed step for a player who's going to miss the entire 2014 season as he serves a suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Gordon will report to Browns camp on Friday, though his year-long ban is expected to become official following his August 1 appeal hearing.

:bye: 2014
Good for him. It would be nice to see him get his act together.

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports Josh Gordon checked into rehab following his arrest for DWI earlier this month.

It's a much-needed step for a player who's going to miss the entire 2014 season as he serves a suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. Gordon will report to Browns camp on Friday, though his year-long ban is expected to become official following his August 1 appeal hearing.

Did you miss the part about him going to camp?

Josh Gordon- WR - Browns
Cardinals FS Tyrann Mathieu believes no one can save Josh Gordon's career but Gordon.
This isn't the sort of item we'd typically post, but it's slow season, and notable because Mathieu went through Gordon-like lows at LSU. "Me having been through it and having a little bit of experience with that, I don’t think anybody in the world could possibly tell him anything," Mathieu said. "Hopefully he will get the message, but most of the time it takes for people to hit rock bottom for them to start believing in their self and start seeking help. ... He just has to want it for himself." Mathieu's advice is far-more constructive than Cris Carter's.
Related: Tyrann Mathieu

Source: azcardinals.com
Jul 9 - 8:29 AM
Mathieu’s Gordon view comes from own journey

Posted by Darren Urban on July 8, 2014 – 9:51 pm
When the reports came out with the latest troubles for Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon — who was already facing a year’s suspension and then got nabbed for a DUI — someone on Twitter suggested that he could get advice from Tyrann Mathieu after Mathieu’s own road of redemption. Mathieu quickly dismissed that.

@Cryan215: Josh Gordon needs to start hanging out with @Mathieu_Era” oh no , I am still in recovery my self

During an appearance on NFL Network, Mathieu explained that Gordon can’t be helped right now by anyone but himself.

“Me having been through it and having a little bit of experience with that, I don’t think anybody in the world could possibly tell him anything,” Mathieu said. “No one could tell me anything when I was going through it; I had to figure it out for myself. Hopefully he will get the point. Hopefully he will get the message, but most of the time it takes for people to hit rock bottom for them to start believing in their self and start seeking help. A lot of people can reach out to you but that doesn’t mean you always take that help and take that advice. He just has to want it for himself.”

Mathieu, as we has been shown a few times, figured it out himself. He has told the story about hitting rock bottom during a night in jail that made him realize he better fix his life.

“You have to weigh your pros and your cons,” Mathieu said. “What do you want to be in life and who do you not want to be in life? You have to add all of those things up. I’m pretty sure who you want to be in life will weigh a lot more than who you don’t want to be in life. Hopefully he can get that. I’m still young myself; I don’t know too much about it but I do know that it takes a lot to look in that mirror and fix yourself.”
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/07/08/mathieus-gordon-view-comes-from-own-journey/

I just noticed this and thought it re-posting in full.

The Honey Badger had serious problems at LSU not unlike what Gordon has faced. At the combine I think he fessed up to something like 10 positive tests.

Obviously Gordon can turn it around if he wants it. He has the discipline to be a great athlete, he has shown that, he has to apply that to the company he keeps and his habits, and maybe do some therapy.

I don't know why he is going to rehab my understanding according to this thread weed is not addictive.

It's called jumping through the hoops. Plus, if you think you've got an issue, you've got an issue. Just like booze. I can't drink. Some can.

I don't know why he is going to rehab my understanding according to this thread weed is not addictive.
I would imagine that it was his agent and/or attorney or advisors telling him it is a good move to make it look like he is seeking help. I don't know of anyone, myself, that has had to go into rehab for weed (although I read that some have felt it necessary) and an .09 DUI arrest does not suggest the need of an alcohol related dry-out.

I would imagine that it was his agent and/or attorney or advisors telling him it is a good move to make it look like he is seeking help. I don't know of anyone, myself, that has had to go into rehab for weed (although I read that some have felt it necessary) and an .09 DUI arrest does not suggest the need of an alcohol related dry-out.
I was being a wiseguy...I agree it is for show........If that is the case he is not serious about making changes.

So with these reports " (Fox Sports) Gordon will report to Browns camp on Friday, though his year-long ban is expected to become official following his August 1 appeal hearing" It's seems pretty much 100% conclusion he's done for 2014. What else is to see here if it is being report with multiple outlets? Looks like no hope for 2014 Gordon.

So with these reports " (Fox Sports) Gordon will report to Browns camp on Friday, though his year-long ban is expected to become official following his August 1 appeal hearing" It's seems pretty much 100% conclusion he's done for 2014. What else is to see here if it is being report with multiple outlets? Looks like no hope for 2014 Gordon.
Well, sports media is pretty incestuous. Some random guy in Hackensack could have said that Gordon was doomed and then everyone just starts parroting it because nobody gets views being right they get views for being first or "expanding" on the story with whatever they can make up. Here's a helpful illustration:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/citogenesis.png

The fact that he (or someone in his ear) is aware/mature enough to understand that going to rehab is good for his future employment prospects is an encouraging sign.

Baby steps.

cstu said:
Gordon spent two weeks in rehab in California.
Ooh, a whole two weeks in rehab.
I do not wish to overlook or downplay how significant the failed/missed testing can be viewed. This obviously effects his livelihood, and since its "illegal"! It must be viewed that he has a problem...(although, An entheogen)

However I believe Josh sought help for stressful time in his life.

imo Most people who get a DUI/DWI do not seek in-patient treatment. I believe any length is probably determined/advised by professionals.

It is just my opinion, but its almost a shame that it took two weeks, I would estimate 48 hrs should have been sufficient. Basically two weeks and/or two months, may not make much difference.

If Josh wants to "clean-up" he probably should consider counseling, obtaining a sponsor, and a few meetings every week (for Life?).

Overall Im personally quite pleased to hear what is being reported! Weekend visits to say Amsterdam being reported, would be not so good.

Heres some possible biased stats:

Question: Can you tell me what the chances are for a person who goes through a treatment program of getting sober and staying sober?

Answer: A study of 65,000 patients followed after completing treatment (CATOR independent treatment outcome evaluation service, St. Paul, MN. 1994) showed that about 60 percent maintain total and continuing abstinence the first year. Of those patients who attend self-help support groups (A.A.) at least weekly for one year, 73 percent will be sober. In summary, people who complete treatment but who don’t follow through with either self-help support group attendance or regular continuing professional contacts have a less than 50 percent chance of staying sober.

- See more at: http://www.bettyfordcenter.org/treatment/doctors-office/what-are-the-chances-of-continuous-sobriety-after-treatment.php#sthash.JBBNsCiK.dpuf

The bottom line is Josh Gordon needs to stop hanging out with the people who still are getting high, using drugs, the drinking doesn't really seem to be a problem, it only is because of his history/suspensions. Rehab is good, I'm sure he was pushed to go, most likely by his agent, but he still went which is a start, but he needs to stop hanging out with anyone who will tempt him to regress.

Chaka said:
Bucky86 said:

Good for him. It would be nice to see him get his act together.
+1

The bottom line is Josh Gordon needs to stop hanging out with the people who still are getting high, using drugs, the drinking doesn't really seem to be a problem, it only is because of his history/suspensions. Rehab is good, I'm sure he was pushed to go, most likely by his agent, but he still went which is a start, but he needs to stop hanging out with anyone who will tempt him to regress.
Easier said than done.

Anyone think the heat the NFL is catching right now for giving Rice a 2-game susp, is a positive for Gordon getting a reduced susp? I mean the NFL is getting blasted everywhere u look...

Anyone think the heat the NFL is catching right now for giving Rice a 2-game susp, is a positive for Gordon getting a reduced susp? I mean the NFL is getting blasted everywhere u look...
One thing is not like the other. The commissioner had a lot of leeway in punishing Rice, as there are no set rules on those types of issues. On the other hand, the substance abuse and PED policies and penalties were collectively bargained and agreed to by the player's association. In other words, the penalties are laid out and the rules typically get enforced as written. I believe it will be much more difficult for Gordon to get leniency. Technically, the commissioner has no real say in the matter (meaning he didn't decide anything, the CBA did), which is why a lot of people are just rubber stamping that Gordon will be suspended for the year.

One thing is not like the other. The commissioner had a lot of leeway in punishing Rice, as there are no set rules on those types of issues. On the other hand, the substance abuse and PED policies and penalties were collectively bargained and agreed to by the player's association. In other words, the penalties are laid out and the rules typically get enforced as written. I believe it will be much more difficult for Gordon to get leniency. Technically, the commissioner has no real say in the matter (meaning he didn't decide anything, the CBA did), which is why a lot of people are just rubber stamping that Gordon will be suspended for the year.
Also, whether you agree with Rice's suspension or not, his lack of any priors was cited as a reason for the short length of the suspension. Gordon does not have the same benefit. I think his DUI arrest put the nail in the coffin on any hopes of reducing the suspension through appeal.

Also, whether you agree with Rice's suspension or not, his lack of any priors was cited as a reason for the short length of the suspension. Gordon does not have the same benefit. I think his DUI arrest put the nail in the coffin on any hopes of reducing the suspension through appeal.
It's a seperate issue. You agree that Rice's suspension is because it falls under the personal conduct policy but you think the DUI arrest falls under his positive/missed test? That's craziness man. It's a seperate issue. The precident actually has been set that the max length of personal conduct policy is two games if you look at the history from the last CBA. So if he got 8 games or a full year and 2 more tacked on for the DUI, I could see that but one should have no impact on the other.

It's a seperate issue. You agree that Rice's suspension is because it falls under the personal conduct policy but you think the DUI arrest falls under his positive/missed test? That's craziness man. It's a seperate issue. The precident actually has been set that the max length of personal conduct policy is two games if you look at the history from the last CBA. So if he got 8 games or a full year and 2 more tacked on for the DUI, I could see that but one should have no impact on the other.
Ummm......I did say not say nor imply that at all.

My only point was that when you are appealing a suspension, regardless of what CBA policy it falls under, getting arrested does not help. Pretty simple. We can rehash and debate the language and specifics of the respective policies all you want but that's my rather simple point.

On fansided.com

The NFL’s receiving yards leader from a season ago will meet with the NFL on Aug. 1 to have his appeal hearing heard and could be facing an indefinite suspension according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. However, Mortsensen also mentioned on Friday’s “NFL Live” that Gordon could get off on a technicality and could be available for Cleveland.

Wait, that link is referencing that dudes tweet who no one has heard of haha, what is this..

On fansided.com

The NFL’s receiving yards leader from a season ago will meet with the NFL on Aug. 1 to have his appeal hearing heard and could be facing an indefinite suspension according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. However, Mortsensen also mentioned on Friday’s “NFL Live” that Gordon could get off on a technicality and could be available for Cleveland.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

:tebow:

Solidify my POS Hero status, Roger... please.

Ok wait...so for Gordon's appeal, people are optimistic the year suspension might be lessened.

However, the example given for leniency was last year, or the last time Goodell saw Gordon. It doesn't seem to make any sense that a repeat offender is going to get leniency.
On the one hand, there is no basis for his appeal in the first place. He is lucky to only receive a year ban and not an indefinite suspension where he has to apply for reinstatement.

On the other hand, Goodell knows that by about week 8 the Cleveland market #s will be dipping drastically, as Cleveland is going to suck again, and JFF will be just about to get or have gotten the starting nod. Throwing the league's receiving champ into the mix with the cockiest and most polarizing athlete since Deion Sanders is the perfect antidote to the flagging ratings and ticket sales Cleveland will be undoubtedly facing by week 8.

Also, last time I checked all this dude did was get ####ed up. And drove. But really it's all about being stupid and irresponsible.

Ray Rice went Mike Tyson on a woman at a time of heightened focus on leniency towards POS woman-beaters and got two games.

I'm cynical, so I'm betting a reduced sentence citing some BS reasoning and he gets an eight game ban. The League is about money first and everything else a far, far, far distant second. Gordon+JFF = mo money.

A technicality. Awesome. Took the NFL offices quite a long time to come up with that one.

Lavon Brazill says his should also be erased on technicalities. Oh wait, he's a ham and egger WR. The NFL won't even miss him.

@Druboutin_Don: Just heard Mort say some people around the league think Josh Gordon can avoid his suspension due to a technicality."
Who the f is that?
:popcorn:
@Druboutin_Don: Just heard Mort say some people around the league think Josh Gordon can avoid his suspension due to a technicality."
Let me translate that for you:

There is no video out there of Gordon beating the ####e out of his girlfriend and dragging her around by her hair so he plays in 2014.

I think I just had my Carl Brutananadilewski Soulfly moment with regards to Gordon.

It makes no sense for the league to drag out this process. If it was going to be for a year, why not deal with it sooner? If the clock starts ticking from the moment of the suspension, they'd do everything they could to expedite the process, and surely Rosenhaus and the Browns would be pushing them to do so.

I had been assuming a year for him, but at this point it just hit me that I really don't think he'll be out for the whole year just based on the way this whole thing is being dealt with.

Nothing new to see here, I'm just someone who was pretty convinced he'd been gone for a while and now I'm not so sure.

And, by the way, I totally read all of Soulfly's tweets in the voice of his avatar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez8_4r7GD00

I think I just had my Carl Brutananadilewski Soulfly moment with regards to Gordon.

It makes no sense for the league to drag out this process. If it was going to be for a year, why not deal with it sooner? If the clock starts ticking from the moment of the suspension, they'd do everything they could to expedite the process, and surely Rosenhaus and the Browns would be pushing them to do so.

I had been assuming a year for him, but at this point it just hit me that I really don't think he'll be out for the whole year just based on the way this whole thing is being dealt with.

Nothing new to see here, I'm just someone who was pretty convinced he'd been gone for a while and now I'm not so sure.

And, by the way, I totally read all of Soulfly's tweets in the voice of his avatar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez8_4r7GD00
As others have said, it's unlikely the Gordon case is taking any longer than any other suspension announcement. The difference is, the other ones didn't leak out through the media. Gordon also is choosing to appeal his suspension whereas others may not have done so.

It sounds like the league has notified him that he will be issued a year long suspension and he will having a hearing to get that reduced or thrown out, and it sound like his argument is that some rule or protocol was not followed correctly. It still remains to be seen if he will win his appeal or not.

This would be quite the news scoop if true. Yet Mortenson doesn't seem to be tweeting about it, and no stories on ESPN.com.

Until there are, I would probably treat the report based on a comment from some unknown guy on twitter as having all the merits of a news story coming from some unknown guy on twitter.

As others have said, it's unlikely the Gordon case is taking any longer than any other suspension announcement. The difference is, the other ones didn't leak out through the media. Gordon also is choosing to appeal his suspension whereas others may not have done so.

It sounds like the league has notified him that he will be issued a year long suspension and he will having a hearing to get that reduced or thrown out, and it sound like his argument is that some rule or protocol was not followed correctly. It still remains to be seen if he will win his appeal or not.
If the team has known since early April (http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/05/10/gordon-facing-suspension-for-one-year-report-says.html), it just seems really weird to me that they and Gordon would be fine waiting nearly three months for the appeal. Unless they think there is a very strong chance for reduction, they're better off NOT appealing early to get him back for OTAs next year instead of just going through the motions.

I'm not about to carry the torch for this viewpoint or draw some crazy line in the sand or even say I don't agree with those who still think it will be longer, but for whatever reason, it just clicked for me today that the timing on this is indicating that a year is not the slam dunk I thought it was when I woke up this morning.

At what point do we possibly have evidence that this isn't the case, though? I mean, the info was leaked a long time ago, and I would guess most suspensions get appealed. So the question then becomes: How many players get the ban hammer dropped on them after training camp has started?

At what point do we possibly have evidence that this isn't the case, though? I mean, the info was leaked a long time ago, and I would guess most suspensions get appealed. So the question then becomes: How many players get the ban hammer dropped on them after training camp has started?
If the system is: Player notified in April, appeal heard August 1, that is a long time for the due process to take place, especially considering the importance of the time. I'm just thinking that the system (which I admittedly do not know how it works, and not many do) surely can't be set up to take that long just as part of standard operating procedure. Maybe I'm wrong though. Let's use the Ray Rice example. It's being reported that he has the right to appeal his suspension now that it's been handed down. Does that mean his appeal wouldn't be heard until mid-late October if he chose to? Surely the system is designed to be more efficient than that.

Anyway, I'm feeling very :tinfoilhat: hat about this all of a sudden, just wanted to share my change of heart I had today. At the end of the day, none of us know, but we'll find out soon!

This must be the 50th time in this thread that someone has had to point out this fact.

Josh Gordon Thread: Come for the news, stay for the Soulfly!

Users who are viewing this thread