What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jonathan Mingo, CAR (1 Viewer)

Panthers have a weird mix of talent at WR along with a new QB and coaching staff. Would assume Mingo boots Laviska out of another team at least but there is some real upside here depending on the role he carves out. Feels like a training camp to watch.

Panthers have a weird mix of talent at WR along with a new QB and coaching staff. Would assume Mingo boots Laviska out of another team at least but there is some real upside here depending on the role he carves out. Feels like a training camp to watch.
Before the draft, Matt Harmon was saying Mingo could make a really good power slot type WR, but might not be as effective playing on the outside permanently. I think he even mentioned Laviska as a similar type. Kinda funny how he ended up probably replacing Laviska.

I'd be more bullish if the film watchers were saying he played like an X and could regularly handle press on the outside. I'm a little concerned the panthers are projecting his role based on size more than how he plays, based on the WRs they have and where they drafted him.

Still a good guy to take a shot on at wr5 this draft.

I'm not really getting the hype here, I'm seeing quite a few mocks/rankings putting him round about where I've got multiple picks in the mid-teens but it seems like a hard pass for me at that point

I'm not really getting the hype here, I'm seeing quite a few mocks/rankings putting him round about where I've got multiple picks in the mid-teens but it seems like a hard pass for me at that point
The question is who do you take instead? I agree that this profile might be more like we expect late 2nd/early 3rd but the class isn’t strong. I have Mingo and Reed as the too early 2nd targets. Not perfect prospects but the combo of landing spot, size and capital is enough for me.

The question is who do you take instead? I agree that this profile might be more like we expect late 2nd/early 3rd but the class isn’t strong. I have Mingo and Reed as the too early 2nd targets. Not perfect prospects but the combo of landing spot, size and capital is enough for me.
His range seems to be late 1st to mid 2nd. Considering the draft capital, opportunity, and athletic profile, that's worth it.

Panthers rookie minicamp: Bryce Young impresses Frank Reich with ‘command’ of offense

Excerpt:

During the 7-on-7 period, all four of Young’s passes to second-round pick, wideout Jonathan Mingo, were completed. Following the workout, Mingo mentioned that the pair played catch and ran through the practice script ahead of Friday’s workout.
Young said the rookie duo wanted to prepare in advance so they could make the most of the minicamp.
“We both feel the same way about that — trying do everything we can to help the team,” Young said. “I think, for us, we’re focused on the commitment to that. We want to push ourselves to be the best versions of ourselves.”

Fools gold or not, just traded a 2024 2nd and Hodgins for Mingo and a pick that turned into Michael Wilson in one of my PPR Best Ball SF Dynasty Leagues. I also took Young with the 1.4 so I really wanted to pair these Panther rookies together and see if they can grow into a dynamic duo :)

That’s what I’m trying to figure out with my 2.06 in SF. It seems like the best backs will be gone. Not sure I’d take Hooker. Rice, downs, maybe LaPorta seem on par with Mingo.

Mingo didn't 400 yards until his senior year (yes he did have some injuries). Mingo did this competing against Elijah Moore. AJB did this competing against Elijah Moore, DK Metcalf, Evan Engram, Quincy Enunwa and Demarcus Lodge.
There's a lot of mitigating factors at play, QB being one of them. He has the makings of a stud, especially with Bryce Young.

Mingo didn't 400 yards until his senior year (yes he did have some injuries). Mingo did this competing against Elijah Moore. AJB did this competing against Elijah Moore, DK Metcalf, Evan Engram, Quincy Enunwa and Demarcus Lodge.
There's a lot of mitigating factors at play, QB being one of them. He has the makings of a stud, especially with Bryce Young.
Have a great athletic body doesn't make you a top notch NFL WR.

No, but having all the tools does, and he has them. He also has a QB who will get it to him.

No, but having all the tools does, and he has them. He also has a QB who will get it to him.
He's missing some tools in his tactical toolbox. Those have been discussed ad nauseam so I won't go into that again.

He's missing some tools in his tactical toolbox. Those have been discussed ad nauseam so I won't go into that again.
I will say this as well. Don't sleep on Terrance Marshall. He could be in for a breakout season. It seems that he and Young have a nice chemistry. He's worth a late flyer for me

I will say this as well. Don't sleep on Terrance Marshall. He could be in for a breakout season. It seems that he and Young have a nice chemistry. He's worth a late flyer for me
How does Young and Marshall have a nice chemistry already?

How does Young and Marshall have a nice chemistry already?
Apparently pretty good friends

Panthers coach Frank Reich mentioned WR Jonathan Mingo when asked to name his spring standouts.

From the Athletic’s Joseph Person, Reich didn’t drop many names when talking about the top performers in spring practices, so it shouldn’t be taken lightly that Mingo was one of the players he brought up. The No. 39 overall pick, Mingo (6'2/220) has a combination of size and speed that could be nightmare fuel for opposing corners. He went for 861 yards and five scores as a senior. Barring a surprise DeAndre Hopkins signing, Mingo looks like a good bet to take the field on three-receiver sets as a rookie. Person also noted that he “looked fluid running the short crossing routes that are expected to be a fixture in Reich’s offense.” With Adam Thielen showing signs of a decline in 2022 and D.J. Chark being a role-player, the door is open for Mingo to pace the Panthers in targets as a rookie.

Jonathan Mingo caught 2-of-5 targets for 17 yards in Week 1 vs Atlanta.

Mingo was the No. 2 receiver with DJ Chark sidelined. His five targets were three more than Adam Thielen, who was returning from an ankle injury, but one fewer than Terrace Marshall, who finished with six. Mingo could remain the starter in Week 2 if Chark doesn’t get cleared.

- Rotoworld

Jonathan Mingo (concussion) is questionable for Week 4 against the Vikings.

Mingo shed his red non-contact jersey for the Panthers’ final practice of the week. It’s a good sign for his odds of suiting up on Sunday. Mingo totaled 20 targets in less than three full games of action to start the year. As long as he clears the final hurdles of concussion protocol, he should provide FLEX-worthy numbers versus the Vikings.

Is this guy worth holding in dynasty? I have not seen him play a single snap, but his stats do not look promising.

Users who are viewing this thread