What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jayden Reed, GB (1 Viewer)

Sam Sherman
Continued strong camp buzz on Jayden Reed, listed as a "Stock Up" player by @mattschneidman of @TheAthletic

A reminder of where all the 2nd round rookie WRs go in best ball drafts:
- Rashee Rice (ADP 136)
- Jonathan Mingo (146)
- Marvin Mims (151)
- Jayden Reed (173)
One of those really good players that was mysteriously undervalued every step of the way. I guess it's because of Jordan Love but it's unlikely Love is around next year. Actually reminds me a lot of the mysterious lack of interest in Dotson last year.

Last edited:
Sam Sherman
Continued strong camp buzz on Jayden Reed, listed as a "Stock Up" player by @mattschneidman of @TheAthletic

- Rashee Rice (ADP 136)
- Jonathan Mingo (146)
- Marvin Mims (151)
- Jayden Reed (173)
One of those really good players that was mysteriously undervalued every step of the way. I guess it's because of Jordan Love but it's unlikely Love is around next year. Actually reminds me a lot of the mysterious lack of interesting Dotson last year.
I can understand Mingo because there is a clear path to #1 WR in Carolina, but yeah, its very wild that Reed is so far behind Rice and to a lesser extent Mims.

Sam Sherman

- Rashee Rice (ADP 136)
- Jonathan Mingo (146)
- Marvin Mims (151)
- Jayden Reed (173)
One of those really good players that was mysteriously undervalued every step of the way. I guess it's because of Jordan Love but it's unlikely Love is around next year. Actually reminds me a lot of the mysterious lack of interesting Dotson last year.
What? Love ain't going nowhere

Sam Sherman

- Rashee Rice (ADP 136)
- Jonathan Mingo (146)
- Marvin Mims (151)
- Jayden Reed (173)
What? Love ain't going nowhere
Why do you think Love is locked in as a 2 year starter right now? If he does start next year it’s because he played well this season so that’s fine for Reed.

Why do you think Love is locked in as a 2 year starter right now? If he does start next year it’s because he played well this season so that’s fine for Reed.

They extended him at about 10-15 million for next year.
It looks like $7 mill next year (some void year stuff for 2025 which I never really get so it is like 12 in dead cap) which is Jacoby Brissett, Taylor Heineke money. I would be pretty surprised if the Packers feel obligated to play him if he isn't good this year.

Green Bay has seemingly put together a nice group of young pass catchers. It will be interesting to see how the targets are distributed this season.
Also will be interesting to see how Love uses them. I know people are big on Watson but I’m not sold there’s any certainty he’s going to be Love’s favorite target.

Green Bay has seemingly put together a nice group of young pass catchers. It will be interesting to see how the targets are distributed this season.
Also will be interesting to see how Love uses them. I know people are big on Watson but I’m not sold there’s any certainty he’s going to be Love’s favorite target.
Early reports from camp were he was locked in on Doubs. Haven't followed closely enough to know if that may have changed.

Early reports from camp were he was locked in on Doubs. Haven't followed closely enough to know if that may have changed.
Targets have been pretty evenly spread out in preseason. Good chance it’s too well distributed to help us too much in fantasy but injuries or rapport may change things as we move on.

Targets have been pretty evenly spread out in preseason. Good chance it’s too well distributed to help us too much in fantasy but injuries or rapport may change things as we move on.
I think, if the targets remain mostly evenly distributed, Watson is still the guy to own.

He is just far bigger and more athletic than any of their other guys.

Another plus for Love is he has three decent sized WRs to throw to with Watson 6'5", Doubs 6'2" & Reed at 6"0". Throw in Musgrave at 6'6" it potentially makes a very forgiving receiving corps.

Love is climbing up my board.

I think, if the targets remain mostly evenly distributed, Watson is still the guy to own.

Another plus for Love is he has three decent sized WRs to throw to with Watson 6'5", Doubs 6'2" & Reed at 6"0". Throw in Musgrave at 6'6" it potentially makes a very forgiving receiving corps.

Watson is also potentially limited to a kind of field stretching role. Is that the kind of play that Love is going to like attempt regularly? I don't know

Watson is also potentially limited to a kind of field stretching role. Is that the kind of play that Love is going to like attempt regularly? I don't know
I'm not sure I agree with that narrative. He had four TDs from inside the 15 (two inside the eight).

He had 7 rushing attempts (2 TDs) as well.

And when you figure in Lazard & Cobb & Tonya along with Doubs I don't know how many intermediate targets were really available in the game plan for Watson.

This year as the potential #1 target I think we should expect somewhat different usage overall and I wouldn't pigeon hole him into an Alvin Harper role.

He had a long reception last night that was originally ruled incomplete.

Jayden Reed caught 1-of-2 targets for 19 yards and one touchdown in the Packers’ preseason Week 2 game against the Patriots.
Reed punctuated the offense’s third drive with a 19-yard touchdown reception on a crossing route. The rookie wide receiver continued to operate as the starting slot receiver for the Packers, a role he has commanded since the beginning of camp. All four primary pass-catchers for Green Bay are entering their first or second professional career, making the Packers one of the youngest offenses in the league. Reed will have one more chance to continue to build rapport with Jordan Love in a game environment prior to the start of the regular season.

Love this guy. He was a must draft in my dynasty in the 2nd round. His college tape gave me Antonio Brown vibes.

Awesome route runner, silky smooth in and out of his breaks. Shouldn't have much competition out of the slot. I don't know if he's going to be relevant in redraft, but I am monitoring him very closely. Loved it when he landed in Green Bay. I like him more than Josh Downs, not quite in that Flowers tier but should be a highly productive pro.

Well it’s week 1 and I am starting Jayden Reed in redraft. Anyone else?
Not yet but picked him up as my wr4/5 everywhere

Chicago spent a little money in the off-season and drafted a CB, but there run D is still a sieve. Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon are going to dog tired Monday.

Took Reed in the 17th round but he's my WR6, probably roll with Chase/Waddle/Olave and Flex Addison (or JSN but leaning towrds the USC rookie.)

I like Reed, good TC and PS, he looks pro ready. That said, we're talking about an offense with a QB who has 157 snaps and a WR corps with 20 career starts - Watson 11, Doubs 7, Samori Toure 2.

Need to see it first. But if Stevenson is covering Reed you should feel OK about starting him.

Musgrave or a RB are the most likely to lead them in targets. IMO

Da Bears will be in a lot of Cover 2 (2nd most in the league last year) - they have gotten away from playing Fangio style quarters/quarters half. They're trying to develop a mid-2000s Bears D under Lovie. To put a finer point on it, like the 2018 Colts (HC Matt Eberflus was the DC.) That has informed their personnel decisions (trading Roquan, signing Edmunds) bc they need more athletic dudes to play the style zone they want. BUT....that DL is weak. Couple promising rookie IDL but the EDGE rushers are....underwhelming. Literally no one you can say "that's the guy who will get us big sacks when we need it."

They're going to get mauled by the Packers on the ground. Maybe Love is in love with Reed, but for this week, they'll lean on the run game. IMO

Well it’s week 1 and I am starting Jayden Reed in redraft. Anyone else?
Not yet but picked him up as my wr4/5 everywhere

Chicago spent a little money in the off-season and drafted a CB, but there run D is still a sieve. Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon are going to dog tired Monday.

Took Reed in the 17th round but he's my WR6, probably roll with Chase/Waddle/Olave and Flex Addison (or JSN but leaning towrds the USC rookie.)

I like Reed, good TC and PS, he looks pro ready. That said, we're talking about an offense with a QB who has 157 snaps and a WR corps with 20 career starts - Watson 11, Doubs 7, Samori Toure 2.

Need to see it first. But if Stevenson is covering Reed you should feel OK about starting him.

Musgrave or a RB are the most likely to lead them in targets. IMO

Da Bears will be in a lot of Cover 2 (2nd most in the league last year) - they have gotten away from playing Fangio style quarters/quarters half. They're trying to develop a mid-2000s Bears D under Lovie. To put a finer point on it, like the 2018 Colts (HC Matt Eberflus was the DC.) That has informed their personnel decisions (trading Roquan, signing Edmunds) bc they need more athletic dudes to play the style zone they want. BUT....that DL is weak. Couple promising rookie IDL but the EDGE rushers are....underwhelming. Literally no one you can say "that's the guy who will get us big sacks when we need it."

They're going to get mauled by the Packers on the ground. Maybe Love is in love with Reed, but for this week, they'll lean on the run game. IMO

Yeah I’m not playing him personally but it’s a nice wait and see if he can be a flex guy for me later on

That article has a named byline, but it really sounds like it was written by ChatGPT. I've been noticing that more and more lately. Then again, maybe it's just a function of these sites hiring untalented writers
What's so unhuman about "he can be used on Jet Sweeps plays"? I'm a big fan of the Jet Sweeps plays. Jet Sweeps plays is probably the best of all the Sweeps plays.

That article has a named byline, but it really sounds like it was written by ChatGPT. I've been noticing that more and more lately. Then again, maybe it's just a function of these sites hiring untalented writers
What's so unhuman about "he can be used on Jet Sweeps plays"? I'm a big fan of the Jet Sweeps plays. Jet Sweeps plays is probably the best of all the Sweeps plays.
All your Jet Sweeps are belong to us.

Gotta love this last paragraph. Take that, Shakespeare!
Jayden Reed being the number one receiver is something he is capable of doing. The Packers would prefer if they had everyone healthy, and they will still use him in many different ways no matter what and will be this football team’s x-factor this season.

Love the fact it appears he is being thrown right into the fire...got him on both my Dynasty teams but still don't truly know how I feel about him...obviously it is only one game, but it will be nice to see him under the bright lights.

He looked good in preseason. I think he can put up some points when he’s the WR2 in that offense. Hard for me to imagine him being a consistent scorer as a rookie. There will be a lot of running and throws to the TE tomorrow I think. Should get enough targets to potentially score some points though.

Reactions: Bri
Jayden Reed caught 2-of-5 targets for 48 yards in the Packers’ Week 1 win over the Bears.

With Christian Watson (hamstring) sidelined and Romeo Doubs (hamstring) facing a light workload, Reed was expected to see an increased role in Week 1. By the time the dust had settled on Sunday’s game, Reed was leading all Packers receivers in targets, and had a solid 2/48 line to show for it. The rookie receiver left late in the second half with cramps, but he showed high-end speed on both of his receptions, which included a 30-yard gain in the second quarter. Reed won’t have much upside if Watson and Doubs are fully healthy in Week 2. But if either is out, Reed would have some deep flex appeal in 12-team leagues.

- Rotoworld

Dwain McFarland
Let's get Jayden Reed a full-time role and see what happens @Ihartitz

67% route participation
39% targets per route 👀

IkeyAzar
Isn’t that a full time player for a slot guy? Unless they live in 11

Dwain McFarland
Yes, but why limit him playing slot? He played outside/inside and threatened all areas of the field in college.

Or yeah, just play more 11.

Have discussed that as his limitation all offseason.

Mentioned this in the waiver thread, but while yesterday's stat line was a little fake (he scored on a push pass and a blown coverage), I'm still buying based on the fact that a lot of fantasy nerds I trust (JJ Zachariason, Matt Harmon) have been in on this guy for months. I also think that, given how young and unsettled the GB pass catchers are, he probably has more upside than rookies like JSN, Addison or Quentin Johnson, all of whom have established stars in front of them. Not saying he'll be better than them, just that he has a clearer path to being his team's top fantasy WR.

He's not getting a high target target percentage (13% this week) to say he is the top WR there yet. He was the number 3 WR in snap count also.

He's not getting a high target target percentage (13% this week) to say he is the top WR there yet. He was the number 3 WR in snap count also.
He was tops in route participation a week or 2 ago so it has happened. He's at least making things happen. There's some solid signs here.

He was tops in route participation a week or 2 ago so it has happened. He's at least making things happen. There's some solid signs here.

Packers Routes Run Week 10 at PIT
  1. Doubs 35
  2. Watson 34
  3. Musgrave 31
  4. Reed 24
  5. Jones 21
  6. Wicks 20
  7. Kraft 18
  8. Dillon 15
Yards per RR
  1. Reed 3.50
  2. Wicks 2.50
  3. Musgrave 2.06
  4. Jones 0.90
  5. Doubs 0.89
  6. Dillon 0.73
  7. Watson 0.68
  8. Kraft 0.33

Targets / Target Market Share / % of RR receiving Targets
  1. Watson 7 | 20.59% | 20.59%
  2. Reed 5 | 14.71% | 20.83%
    5th time in 9 games receiving targets on 20% or more of his RR
  3. Jones 5 | 14.71% | 23.81%
  4. Doubs 5 | 14.71% | 14.29%
  5. Wicks 4 | 11.76% | 20.00%
  6. Musgrave 4 | 11.76% | 12.90%
  7. Dillon 2 | 5.88% | 13.33%
  8. Kraft 2 | 5.88% | 11.1%
Alignment
  • Slot Watson 21, Reed 19, Musgrave 13, Doubs 8, Wicks 5, Jones, Kraft 3
  • Wide Doubs 30, Wicks 17, Watson 14, Reed 6, Musgrave 6, Jones 4, Dillon 3, Kraft 3
  • Inline Musgrave 16, Kraft 15, Jones 3, Dillon 3, Watson 1

Season Long Yards per RR leaders - GB
  1. Reed 1.88
  2. Jones 1.76
  3. Wicks 1.52
  4. Watson 1.33
  5. Musgrave 1.32
  6. Doubs 1.23
  7. Deguara 1.10
  8. Toure 1.02
  9. Dillon 0.77
  10. Kraft 0.16
edit typo

Last edited:
I like what I'm seeing. He might've been the best value in dynasty drafts this year. It's wild he was falling into the 3rd in superflex leagues.

Looking for possible WR4 depth. Who would you add in a full PPR 12 man league here?

Cooks
Doubs
Reed
Jayden
Thanks!

Doubs outsnapping him and having 60 to Reeds 45 targets aren’t a concern?
see the data I posted in his player thread

Cross posting fm the weekly WW thread

@1320kid

I would evaluate it as follows (and before doing so would add I've watched enough All 22 film of the Packers I feel pretty confident I have this right)

We need to think about this terms of game flow. Now we cannot anticipate game script; that's a fool's errand. What I'm about to go into is descriptive not prescriptive.
  • GB likes both it's rookie TEs. Tucker Kraft may one day be fantasy relevant but not this year; however, he is an excellent blocker in 12 formations, both in the run game and to stay in to help out with pass pro. He gets some scraps occasionally but that's not his role, even though he was VERY productive at South Dakota State (which is basically the D-II equivalent to Iowa,)
  • Like most teams GB will run a subset of platforms off primarily 11 and 12 personnel. In the latter we have 1 RB 1 TE and 3 WR; league wide the average is around 65%. That grouping is why so many defenses run some variant of a nickel package as their true base defense. Conversely, in 12 formation there is 1 RB 1 TE and 2 WR.
  • GB runs a little less 12 personnel than league average. That's partly bc they have been trailing a lot. Musgrave lines up a lot in the Slot and some out wide, functionally he's like a Big X WR. Even when they are in 12 personnel, they still kind of have 3 WR on the field if we include the rookie from Oregon State.
  • Among the players with WR position designation, Jayden Reed functions primarily as the Slot WR. On days when they run less 11 personnel, he's the odd man out. That means he is dependent on making the most of fewer opportunities in order to be productive. So far he has been doing that for the most part, BUT caveat emptor - there will be games where he is running way less routes. Most FF managers will look at targets and say "eh....rookie WR, they're inconsistent, can't trust Reed." I think that's bad process but most folks are looking for shortcuts so the hobby doesn't become too much of a time suck. I get it.
  • The GB WR room is mostly thought of as Watson as the alpha - he's been anything but that YTD due to a series of injuries - and then Doubs, with Wicks getting a few boundary snaps.

(NOTE: I'm using boundary as a synonym for outside WR. Don't get it twisted....in some systems we refer to field WR and boundary WR, and that has to do with which side is closer to the hash mark the ball is on....not what I'm talking about, sorry if anyone finds that confusing.)

• Snap Counts are not enough. They're a rough estimate, but we want to measure twice and cut once. Snap Counts don't ever breakdown how many were run snaps and how many were passing snaps. That info is out there but it's behind paywalls, most FF folks won't be able to crack that code. Information is powerful and bad information is just as powerful as good info. Admittedly the effect of that run snap count/pass snap count does tend to smooth out over time but it's much more variable game-to-game.
Now that everyone is thoroughly lost, asleep or has moved on to another thread, let's expand the Steelers game dataset to season long.

Packers Routes Run
  1. Doubs 280
  2. Musgrave 237
  3. Reed 222
  4. Watson 177
  5. Wicks 157
  6. Dillon 148
  7. Jones 95
  8. Kraft 67
  9. Toure 61
  10. Deguara 59
Yards per RR
  1. Reed 1.88
  2. Jones 1.76
  3. Sims 1.56
  4. Wicks 1.52
  5. Watson 1.33
  6. Musgrave 1.32
  7. Doubs 1.23
  8. Wilson 1.17
  9. Deguara 1.10
  10. Toure 1.02
  11. Dillon 0.77
  12. Taylor 0.58
  13. Kraft 0.16

Targets
  1. Doubs 56
  2. Reed 43
  3. Musgrave 39
  4. Watson 33
  5. Wicks 27
  6. Jones 25
  7. Dillon 16
  8. Toure 11
  9. Taylor 10
  10. Deguara 8
  11. Heath 5
  12. Kraft 4
  13. Wilson 3
  14. Sims 2
Target Market Share
  1. Doubs 19.86%
  2. Reed 15.25%
  3. Musgrave 13.83%
  4. Watson 11.70%
  5. Wicks 9.57%
  6. Jones 8.87
  7. Dillon 5.67%
  8. Toure 3.90%
  9. Taylor 3.55%
  10. Deguara 2.84%
  11. Heath 1.77%
  12. Kraft 1.42%
  13. Wilson 1.06%
  14. Sims 0.71%
% of RR receiving Targets
  1. Jones 26.32 (25 targets / 95 routes run)
  2. Wilson 25.00% (calm down, it's 3 targets on 12 routes)
  3. Sims 22.22% (2 targets on 9 routes)
  4. Heath 20.83% (5 T / 24 RR)
  5. Doubs 20.00%
  6. Reed 19.37%
  7. Taylor 18.18% (10/55)
  8. Toure 18.03%
  9. Watson 18.64%
  10. Wicks 17.20%
  11. Musgrave 16.46%
  12. Deguara 13.56%
  13. Dillon 10.81%
  14. Kraft 5.97%

Alignment (top 5 for each)
  • Slot Reed 190, Musgrave 111, Watson 62, Wicks 49, Doubs 43, Deguara 36, Toure 24, Kraft 12
  • Wide Doubs 256, Watson 122, Wicks 115, Reed 47, Toure 37, Musgrave 24, Heath 20, Dillon 11, Jones 11
  • Inline Musgrave 137, Kraft 64, Deguara 20, Sims 14, Taylor 8, Dillon 8, Jones 7, Watson 5

Users who are viewing this thread