What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, SEA (2 Viewers)

For a rookie behind DK and Lockett with Geno at QB, and who almost couldn't start the season due to an injury, he did pretty well the last 3 months.
He looks the part.

first round wrs who failed to deliver a wr1 week in their rookie season (last 5 years):
2019 - n'keal harry
2020 - jalen reagor, henry ruggs
2021 - rashod bateman
2022 - jameson williams
2023 - jaxon smith-njigba, quentin johnston

Interesting. I will say the one big difference between him and those others is JSN passes the eye test after one year. Dudes legit. He was just drafted by a team that had 2 really good wrs ahead of him. His time will come

I can't say he passed the eye test or looked the part to me. I absolutely thought rookie year Bateman flashed more to me then JSN did. Not trying to rile anyone up but I think people are trying a lot harder to see something due to his draft capital then they would if they had not spent so much on him.

The fact they had Metcalf and Lockett is absolutely a factor in his lack of volume. But it's difficult for me to give him a pass on his fairly terrible efficiency when he has those two WR's to help him get better matchups.

I'm not here to say his career will be this or that. I'm trying to give him a pass because he's young and barely played the year before, has barely played outside of that one big year. I'm not here to say he does not have growth potential but I can't say I saw a whole lot either.

I like him. I can tell you what I like about him. He has a way of creating his own space. His route running is elite. He was a rookie with 2 very good receivers ahead of him. A pretty good running game and surgery at the start of the season. He will be fine and get his chance soon enough.

I traded DHenry for JSN straight up in 14 team dynasty about week 11 .. My WRs should be set for awhile with ARSB, Aiyuk, Higgins, and JSN

first round wrs who failed to deliver a wr1 week in their rookie season (last 5 years):
2019 - n'keal harry
2021 - rashod bateman
2022 - jameson williams

Interesting. I will say the one big difference between him and those others is JSN passes the eye test after one year. Dudes legit. He was just drafted by a team that had 2 really good wrs ahead of him. His time will come

I can't say he passed the eye test or looked the part to me. I absolutely thought rookie year Bateman flashed more to me then JSN did. Not trying to rile anyone up but I think people are trying a lot harder to see something due to his draft capital then they would if they had not spent so much on him.

The fact they had Metcalf and Lockett is absolutely a factor in his lack of volume. But it's difficult for me to give him a pass on his fairly terrible efficiency when he has those two WR's to help him get better matchups.

I'm not here to say his career will be this or that. I'm trying to give him a pass because he's young and barely played the year before, has barely played outside of that one big year. I'm not here to say he does not have growth potential but I can't say I saw a whole lot either.
I'm mostly in the same boat. Not saying JSN won't be the best guy on that list, but that's not a high bar.

I wasn't impressed by what I saw of him this year, and if we redrafted the 2023 rookie class, JSN wouldn't be a top-5 WR in my opinion and might honestly be closer to 10 than 5.

Puka, Rice, Dell, Flowers, and Reed would be ahead of him for sure, and other than maybe Puka, all of them seem pretty locked in with good QBs going forward.

Jury is still out. Way too early to write this kid off, or to say guys like Flowers and Reed are going to be better than him. Maybe he flames out, but maybe he takes a massive leap forward next year. If his production is the same next year, then we cut bait.

Jury is still out. Way too early to write this kid off, or to say guys like Flowers and Reed are going to be better than him. Maybe he flames out, but maybe he takes a massive leap forward next year. If his production is the same next year, then we cut bait.
Funny thing is that people actually have this in their brain. They obviously weren’t watching.

2019 - n'keal harry
2021 - rashod bateman
2022 - jameson williams

I'm mostly in the same boat. Not saying JSN won't be the best guy on that list, but that's not a high bar.

I wasn't impressed by what I saw of him this year, and if we redrafted the 2023 rookie class, JSN wouldn't be a top-5 WR in my opinion and might honestly be closer to 10 than 5.

Puka, Rice, Dell, Flowers, and Reed would be ahead of him for sure, and other than maybe Puka, all of them seem pretty locked in with good QBs going forward.
He'd be my 6th rated WR if I was redrafting, right after the 5 you mentioned.

Truth is if I did not know draft capital and could remove my pre-existing notions on the players and relied on only on what I watched this year I thought that Downs and Douglass looked better, especially Downs before his knee issues seemed to hamper him.

2019 - n'keal harry
2021 - rashod bateman
2022 - jameson williams

Don’t forget Addison

2019 - n'keal harry
2021 - rashod bateman
2022 - jameson williams

Don’t forget Addison
Dang, I did.

I think saying Reed or especially Flowers are going to be better than JSN is a lot different than writing JSN off.

Don’t forget Addison
I'm not sure I would take Addison over JSN. His QB situation is just as murky, and he'll likely never be a #1 with Jefferson around. He did a nice job stepping up into a perfect situation (Jefferson hurt, Cousins healthy) but its fair to question if that's the best situation he'll ever have going forward. If I were tiering them I'd say:

Tier 1:
Rice
Dell (would have been #1 without the leg injury)
Tier 2:
Puka (would be #1 if long term QB weren't a major issue)
Flowers
Tier 3:
Reed (could move up a tier if Watson can't stay on the field)
JSN
Addison
Downs
Tier 4:
Douglas
Wilson
Mims
Wicks (also could move up a tier based on Watson)
Tier 5:
Johnston (maybe overreacting, but man did he look lost, not many guys who looked this bad as a rookie panned out)
Hyatt
Tillman
Mingo

I think saying Reed or especially Flowers are going to be better than JSN is a lot different than writing JSN off.

Don’t forget Addison
I'm not sure I would take Addison over JSN. His QB situation is just as murky, and he'll likely never be a #1 with Jefferson around. He did a nice job stepping up into a perfect situation (Jefferson hurt, Cousins healthy) but its fair to question if that's the best situation he'll ever have going forward. If I were tiering them I'd say:

Tier 1:
Rice
Tier 2:
Flowers
Tier 3:
JSN
Addison
Downs
Tier 4:
Douglas
Wilson
Mims
Tier 5:
Johnston (maybe overreacting, but man did he look lost, not many guys who looked this bad as a rookie panned out)
Hyatt
Tillman
Mingo
Going into next season, the only 2 I would personally take over JSN are Puka (who is miles ahead of every other rookie receiver and is in his own tier) and Dell. Addison is fine, but almost all of his stats came in the first 1/2 of the year. If Kirk is back and JJ is gone, he moves up to #2, behind Puka. IMHO

Don’t forget Addison

Tier 1:
Rice
Tier 2:
Flowers
Tier 3:
JSN
Addison
Downs
Tier 4:
Douglas
Wilson
Mims
Tier 5:
Hyatt
Tillman
Mingo
Going into next season, the only 2 I would personally take over JSN are Puka (who is miles ahead of every other rookie receiver and is in his own tier) and Dell. Addison is fine, but almost all of his stats came in the first 1/2 of the year. If Kirk is back and JJ is gone, he moves up to #2, behind Puka. IMHO
Not feeling Rice? It sure looks like he could be Patrick Mahomes #1 WR going forward.

Don’t forget Addison

Tier 1:
Rice
Tier 2:
Flowers
Tier 3:
JSN
Addison
Downs
Tier 4:
Douglas
Wilson
Mims
Tier 5:
Hyatt
Tillman
Mingo
Not feeling Rice? It sure looks like he could be Patrick Mahomes #1 WR going forward.
Honestly, I have not seen enough of him. Kelse is always Mahomes #1, and it seems like they have not been able to even come close to replacing Hill at WR.

Don’t forget Addison

Tier 1:
Rice
Tier 2:
Flowers
Tier 3:
JSN
Addison
Downs
Tier 4:
Douglas
Wilson
Mims
Tier 5:
Hyatt
Tillman
Mingo
Honestly, I have not seen enough of him. Kelse is always Mahomes #1, and it seems like they have not been able to even come close to replacing Hill at WR.
Rice plays more like a Kelce replacement than a Hill replacement. He's a good RZ target and can pick up tough yards after the catch. Big body.

Don’t forget Addison

Tier 1:
Rice
Tier 2:
Flowers
Tier 3:
JSN
Addison
Downs
Tier 4:
Douglas
Wilson
Mims
Tier 5:
Hyatt
Tillman
Mingo
Rice plays more like a Kelce replacement than a Hill replacement. He's a good RZ target and can pick up tough yards after the catch. Big body.
Thankfully I have Peacock, so I will check him out tonight.

There's some chatter about the Seahawks cutting bait on Lockett this offseason. That would be perfect for JSN and, IMO, would boost him back to the top tier sophomore WRs next year.

David J. Gautieri
There have been 22 RD1 WR’s to post 60+ receptions as a rookie since the year 2000.

17/22 (77%) hit or paced for 1,000+ yards in their 2nd NFL season.

I promise – you don’t have to give up on Jaxon Smith-Njigba after just 1 year.

JSN’s rookie YPRR & PFF Grading was poor (1.32 YPRR; 63.9 PFF Receiving Grade).

But you DON’T HAVE TO hit eject.

Trey McBride was a total dud as a rookie (.84 YPRR; 53.6 PFF Receiving Grade) – & now he’s the Dynasty TE2!

ELITE college profiles still matter!

There's some chatter about the Seahawks cutting bait on Lockett this offseason. That would be perfect for JSN and, IMO, would boost him back to the top tier sophomore WRs next year.
Lockett was just restructured and staying with the Seahawks, as per the Lockett thread.

I'll be looking to trade for Njigba where I don't own him.
I don't expect any sort of special year given still other good WRs there plus no real QB again.
I expect better than last year, but I also expect a very big jump if his situation improves, which we all know can happen quickly anywhere.

Why is he rated at WR37? I thought he looked very good, I would take him 1.03 after the big 2 for sure
I’m a JSN believer eventually, but would take the 1.03 for him in this draft and if he was in this draft, he’s after the 3 WRs and Bowers and after several QBs if Superflex.
Probably after Bowers too.

ETA: Which you mentioned, but my brain apparently breezed right to the QB part.

Last edited:
Why is he rated at WR37? I thought he looked very good, I would take him 1.03 after the big 2 for sure
I’m a JSN believer eventually, but would take the 1.03 for him in this draft and if he was in this draft, he’s after the 3 WRs and Bowers and after several QBs if Superflex.
but why, your taking those guys HOPING they are JSN 2.0
I don't know what was so impressive about 63-628-4. WR37 feels fair to me, and that's with the expectation he pushes ahead of Lockett, which may not happen this year.

Long term, I doubt he'll ever be ahead of DK. All these other guys are better talents in my opinion (and the NFL's opinion as they won't fall to #20) and likely aren't gonna be stuck behind 1-2 other guys on their own team.

Being honest, if we redrafted last year's class, I'm not 100% sure JSN is a top-10 pick. Just off the top of my head, I'd take Stroud, Bijan, Gibbs, Achane, Puka, Rice, Dell, Flowers, and LaPorta over him. Guys like Addison and Kincaid are debatable. Maybe Richardson if he stays healthy?

I don't know what was so impressive about 63-628-4. WR37 feels fair to me, and that's with the expectation he pushes ahead of Lockett, which may not happen this year.

Long term, I doubt he'll ever be ahead of DK. All these other guys are better talents in my opinion (and the NFL's opinion as they won't fall to #20) and likely aren't gonna be stuck behind 1-2 other guys on their own team.

Being honest, if we redrafted last year's class, I'm not 100% sure JSN is a top-10 pick. Just off the top of my head, I'd take Stroud, Bijan, Gibbs, Achane, Puka, Rice, Dell, Flowers, and LaPorta over him. Guys like Addison and Kincaid are debatable. Maybe Richardson if he stays healthy?
The overall stats HAVE to at least be somewhat misleading considering he than the season with a broken wrist, Geno, and behind two quality WRs.
Things change fast, his talent won't.
Definite long term upside to go along with what should be an improvement on what he did

The overall stats HAVE to at least be somewhat misleading considering he than the season with a broken wrist, Geno, and behind two quality WRs.
Definite long term upside to go along with what should be an improvement on what he did
I still like JSN and think he's a good player with a nice future but his value is being hurt a bit just how great last year's class looked right out of the gate. The list above didn't even include Jayden Reed who scored 5 more ppg than JSN. I think people are still generally valuing JSN higher but it will only take a couple games into 2024 of similar trends for that to flip.

I still like JSN and think he's a good player with a nice future but his value is being hurt a bit just how great last year's class looked right out of the gate. The list above didn't even include Jayden Reed who scored 5 more ppg than JSN. Heck, Reed was 0.1 ppg below DK Metcalf. I think people are still generally valuring JSN higher but it will only take a couple games into 2024 of similar trends for that to flip.
I was really hoping Lockett wouldn't be an issue in 2024. He still may not be, as I expect JSN to take more than last year. I wish Lockett was gone, but he isn't, and that matters, even if I think Lockett will fall back more in 2024.

even with Lockett there, he'll be sent to WR3 status. I'm more worried about Geno and the future of the QB
Sam Howell might be their future and decent for JSN.
I think I agree with this.
I acquired him and the 1.03 for 1.02 and javonte Williams.

Matt Harmon
The route running in Jaxon Smith-Njigba's rookie year film is quite good, especially in the back half of the season. Nice player.

Sadly, WR stats are fake news. Alas.

Daniel Watson
I’ve been desperately waiting for this hope as a subscriber clicking refresh on the site. Question: is it Geno or the play calling then holding him back?

Matt Harmon
year 2 drop coming in a couple weeks! spoiler alert: he plays with 2 other great WRs and there is only one ball

Daniel Watson
I know you’re not charting Lockett yet but you’re watching the games - did he drop off in the second half somewhat in open rate? I think the decision to bring him back is what most JSN owners are disappointed in.

Users who are viewing this thread