What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, SEA (1 Viewer)

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Jaxon Smith-Njigba (wrist) is a “long shot” for Week 1 against the Rams.

Smith-Njigba, by all accounts, will miss about a month after undergoing wrist surgery on Tuesday. The rookie injured his wrist in the Seahawks’ Week 2 preseason game against the Cowboys on a catch and run for a near touchdown. The fantasy prospects of both Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf get a big boost for the season opener against a middling Rams secondary. Meanwhile, Smith-Njigba’s redraft ADP will likely drop a round or two, making him an interesting bench stash in 12-team leagues.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Jaxon Smith-Njigba (wrist) is a “long shot” for Week 1 against the Rams.

Smith-Njigba, by all accounts, will miss about a month after undergoing wrist surgery on Tuesday. The rookie injured his wrist in the Seahawks’ Week 2 preseason game against the Cowboys on a catch and run for a near touchdown. The fantasy prospects of both Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf get a big boost for the season opener against a middling Rams secondary. Meanwhile, Smith-Njigba’s redraft ADP will likely drop a round or two, making him an interesting bench stash in 12-team leagues.

3-4 weeks is optimistic Pete
Could be more like 6 weeks which is Week 4? If it's much more than that, wouldn't Injured Reserve be better for everyone? I would not expect much until October from this guy and perhaps he's more of a 2nd Half season target. Lockett has to slide up a notch or two at this point.

3-4 weeks is optimistic Pete
Could be more like 6 weeks which is Week 4? If it's much more than that, wouldn't Injured Reserve be better for everyone? I would not expect much until October from this guy and perhaps he's more of a 2nd Half season target. Lockett has to slide up a notch or two at this point.
They have a bye week 5 too, so this could be in the range of outcomes.

Very promising to see him back out there. With another 10 days to recover prior to the season opener, there’s a good chance he’s playing week 1.

Seahawks WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (wrist) was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.

Smith-Njigba injured his wrist during the team’s preseason game against the Cowboys, an ailment that ultimately required surgery to address. The first-round wide receiver is expected to contribute immediately out of the slot for Seattle and he gets one of the top matchups in Week 1 against a decimated Rams secondary.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (wrist) will have “no limitations” in Week 1 vs the Rams.

The rookie practiced fully this week and wasn’t listed on the final injury report. Smith-Njigba is expected to have a full workload less than a month removed from wrist surgery. The missed practice time still makes a high target share unlikely in his debut.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba caught 3-of-5 targets for 13 yards in the Seahawks’ Week 1 loss to the Rams.

Smith-Njigba tied Kenneth Walker and DK Metcalf for a team-high in targets, though was unable to do much with the opportunities. Unsurprisingly, Smith-Njigba was also the receiver who left the field when Seattle moved out of 11-personnel. Until Smith-Njigba earns a higher cut of the routes, it will be hard to trust him. On the other hand, his ability to earn targets is a strong sign for his potential later in the season.

- Rotoworld

Still a good sign he was able to bounce back from the wrist injury as fast as he did. I'm sure that had a little to do w/ his usage, if Lockett gets hurt at any point they are going to rely on this kid pretty heavily. Good to hear Lockett didn't get a concussion, but almost opened the door sooner than expected.

I don't have a way to see where the WR lineup during the game, did Lockett get moved to the outside like speculated he would w/ Smith moving into the slot role?

HOF ceiling.....so pumped to see his career take off in the near future.
Is this serious? Someone dropped him in my keeper league. I couldn't believe it
Dude pick him up!!!!! Special talent.
I obviously will try (have to bid on him). I admittedly don't follow prospects much.

Don’t want to tell you what to do but in a keeper league and JSN on the wire, I’d drop 100% of my budget.

I obviously will try (have to bid on him). I admittedly don't follow prospects much.
Don’t want to tell you what to do but in a keeper league and JSN on the wire, I’d drop 100% of my budget.
Depends on the league details like how many keepers, etc.

Depends on the league details like how many keepers, etc.
Yeah it's ony one keeper and can only keep 3 years so definitely not breaking the bank

Might be a long season for this kid, Lockett and Metcalf are the obvious go to targets for Geno, who IMO had a fluke year last year and will crash down this year. Wish he was in a better situation.

Might be a long season for this kid, Lockett and Metcalf are the obvious go to targets for Geno, who IMO had a fluke year last year and will crash down this year. Wish he was in a better situation.
Way too early to make any assumptions. The injury bug can change the narrative on a dime.

As a dynasty pick he is future gold imo. Talent is off the charts.

Josh Norris
if you're waiting for Jaxon Smith-Njigba to breakout, a number of hurdles stand in his way

1. Seahawks are only in 11 personnel 56.6% of the time, because
2. Their multiple TE packages have been outstanding. In the run and the pass.
10th highest rate of 12 personnel
13 personnel 6th highest rate3.
Post-bye in Week 5?

This draft pick still stumps me. Why not draft a tight end or a WR in later rounds? Lockett is not toast yet. Maybe upgrade the defense a bit.

Their tight ends are pretty good, they already drafted a defensive player with their other first round pick and outside of DK and Lockett the rest of their WR's are players you've never heard of and who you do not really want to throw the ball to.

Lockett is also 31 tomorrow, he doesn't have long. If a WR was the BPA when their number came up, drafting them made sense.

That they haven't used him much yet doesn't mean he isn't good value. Also important to remember he missed all of last season and broke his wrist 2 weeks before the season started. He's still getting up to game speed.

Is JSN even rosterable right now? Clearly the 3rd receiving option and they're having lots of success on the ground. I have him in a keeper league and drafted him super late, so the value could be nice for next year.

Problem is, will he overtake Lockett anytime soon? I doubt it.

Thoughts?

Do not drop this kid. Be patient.
I’d have to drop two players (out of Roschon, Spears, and Jaylen Warren) because of Watson in my IR spot. It’s a ten team short bench full ppr and I need receiver help. Is it worth it? None of those players listed would ever start on my teams even if they became the RB1s.

I loved him as a prospect and figured he'd do great things early, but his role in that Seattle team is not significant. Do you see that truly improving throughout the season and into next? I think DK is always going to be their main guy, and Locket is Mr. Reliable and still performing well with no signs of slowing down.

Especially for a keeper outlook, I get to keep two and early impressions are I rather keep Jonathan Taylor at value of a 4th next year, Anthony Richardson (10th next year), Brian Robinson (7th next year), etc over JSN at an 8th.

I loved him as a prospect and figured he'd do great things early, but his role in that Seattle team is not significant. Do you see that truly improving throughout the season and into next? I think DK is always going to be their main guy, and Locket is Mr. Reliable and still performing well with no signs of slowing down.

Especially for a keeper outlook, I get to keep two and early impressions are I rather keep Jonathan Taylor at value of a 4th next year, Anthony Richardson (10th next year), Brian Robinson (7th next year), etc over JSN at an 8th.
I think it is too early to think about this. Jefferson did not have his breakout game until the 3rd game of the season his rookie year. let's see how Lockett (31 years old) holds up over the course of a season. I would be more concerned if JSN was getting tons of run and not producing, but that is not the case.

We have to learn, especially in this day and age, to stop being so reactionary and let things develop ie be patient. Most rookies don't suddenly just pop off right off the bat. They need time to develop and earn their role, especially at the skill positions that are more difficult to grasp.

JSN was the top WR prospect coming out of college and the first WR picked in the draft. He's a special talent. Have we forgotten that the kid broke his wrist in August? From what I see, the Seahawks haven't been running much 3WR sets either, so far. So, in effect, he really hasn't even gotten the chance to prove himself yet. It'll come...and if either DK or Lockett were to miss time, with his talent, he could be a huge boon to your starting lineup.

NFL Rookie Watch
Jaxon Smith-Njigba is currently averaging 4.6 yards of separation on every route he’s ran so far this season.
That’s 2nd best among all WR’s and 4th best in the ENTIRE league.
Njigba is currently on pace to finish his rookie season with 68 receptions for 400 yards.
Many NFL scouts reportedly believe Njigba’s production will “only increase” as the season goes on.
The Seahawks rookie WR is an ELITE separator

We have to learn, especially in this day and age, to stop being so reactionary and let things develop ie be patient. Most rookies don't suddenly just pop off right off the bat. They need time to develop and earn their role, especially at the skill positions that are more difficult to grasp.

JSN was the top WR prospect coming out of college and the first WR picked in the draft. He's a special talent. Have we forgotten that the kid broke his wrist in August? From what I see, the Seahawks haven't been running much 3WR sets either, so far. So, in effect, he really hasn't even gotten the chance to prove himself yet. It'll come...and if either DK or Lockett were to miss time, with his talent, he could be a huge boon to your starting lineup.
Your point is good and valid. The problem is a a few months ago a lot of people were touting him as coming on immediately this season and pushing Lockett for snaps right off the bat. Especially so once the camp fluff pieces started dropping. Dynasty I would not be worried about JSN in the slightest. But I basically said the same exact things Faust just posted months ago. Lockett is the most consistently slept on/disrespected WR in the league, and Seattle runs a ton of 12 personnel. Anyone who drafted JSN highly in redraft at the same value as Lockett (which is about where his ADP was) was making a mistake. So far it's proven out that way.

This draft pick still stumps me. Why not draft a tight end or a WR in later rounds? Lockett is not toast yet. Maybe upgrade the defense a bit.
When you have an opportunity to draft a WR that has an All-Pro floor and a HOF Ceiling….at a position that the rules favor the most…..you pull that trigger.

We will revisit this thread in another year or so and and see how it all turns out.

This kid has special crazy talent.

Your point is good and valid. The problem is a a few months ago a lot of people were touting him as coming on immediately this season and pushing Lockett for snaps right off the bat. Especially so once the camp fluff pieces started dropping. Dynasty I would not be worried about JSN in the slightest. But I basically said the same exact things Faust just posted months ago. Lockett is the most consistently slept on/disrespected WR in the league, and Seattle runs a ton of 12 personnel. Anyone who drafted JSN highly in redraft at the same value as Lockett (which is about where his ADP was) was making a mistake. So far it's proven out that way.
Agree. JSN is a dynasty monster and redraft non factor this year barring an injury to either DK or Lockett.

In dynasty, there is no way on god's green earth you are considering dropping him. If you feel that way trade him. In redraft, I can understand it but also know the breakout could happen at any point in the season. Trade him though do not drop him with the understanding you are okay with breakout potential happening at any point.

In dynasty, there is no way on god's green earth you are considering dropping him. If you feel that way trade him. In redraft, I can understand it but also know the breakout could happen at any point in the season. Trade him though do not drop him with the understanding you are okay with breakout potential happening at any point.
How about a 2 keeper league? I drafted JSN super late, but also have Anthony Richardson and Brian Robinson quite late.

How about a 2 keeper league? I drafted JSN super late, but also have Anthony Richardson and Brian Robinson quite late.
Really makes no difference. He is a hold for me at the very least. If you do anything you trade him there will be other managers interested. He is for sure not a drop in any format for me.

Gotta hold even in 2 keeper, unless you’re in a super roster crunch.

I'm struggling to see how he isn't a drop in redraft to be honest. Unless your free agency pool is literally empty.
I think people get anxious because they think someone else will pick him up. And they probably will. And then drop him again in a week or two lol. He's a hot potato that will get tossed from end of bench to end of bench with the hope you're the lucky one who has him when he has a big week. And then he'll tempt you to put him in your flex that next week, he'll put up 6 points, and you'll get mad and drop him. Such is the circle of life in fantasy lol. I drafted Michael Wilson in two leagues, and owned him at one point in all my leagues. I still had him on only one bench last week when he went off. Thankfully I'm deep enough there to not be tempted into starting him this week. Just the way it goes.

I am stuck with him for at least another year has I took him in the first round of my dynasty rookie draft. I figured he was going to start slow due to the 'Hawks having two established receivers, but I never imagined it would be this slow. 64 yards through 4 games seems impossible. There is no reason why he should not have at least the same numbers as Jordan Addison. Call me concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread