What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jarvis Landry, Saints (3 Viewers)

When the odds of a draft pick panning out are about...

1st Round - 50%

2nd Round - 35%

3rd Round - 30%

4th Round - 10%

5th+ Round - <5%

...it means that MOST players from ANY school are going to bust. Places like USC, LSU, and Florida just stand out because they put a lot of players in the draft and thus produce a lot of busts. I don't think Landry is going to be anything special, but if he fails it won't be because he went to LSU.
I think your numbers are being optimistic, actually. I'd say the fail rate is even higher. It was mentioned before that the fail rate on 1st and 2nd round WRs was at 67%. So, only 33% are a hit. That is a combined number of rounds 1 and 2 and it's lower than your round 2 number alone.

What are the success rates for WRs at other schools? Who's the best? I'd like to know so I can draft only those ones in the future.
Isn't it about time FBG's puts together a list of each school's success rate, by position? Heck, they could sell that puppy to the NFL for some serious cash... :moneybag:

What are the success rates for WRs at other schools? Who's the best? I'd like to know so I can draft only those ones in the future.
Isn't it about time FBG's puts together a list of each school's success rate, by position? Heck, they could sell that puppy to the NFL for some serious cash... :moneybag:
Every NFL team has their own analytics departments. I'd be shocked if each and every NFL team didn't have this information already. It'd be pretty simple query for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Palm Beach Post suggests second-round pick Jarvis Landry could earn playing time early in his rookie year.
Per beat writer Andrew Abramson, Landry is "progressing quickly," and "could be a real player from the start." Ryan Tannehill previously told Abramson Landry "has some of the strongest hands he's ever seen." Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace are entrenched on the outside, but there is opportunity for Landry in the slot. The slot position was heavily targeted by Ryan Tannehill in 2013.

Source: Palm Beach Post

Rotoworld:

The Palm Beach Post suggests second-round pick Jarvis Landry could earn playing time early in his rookie year.

Per beat writer Andrew Abramson, Landry is "progressing quickly," and "could be a real player from the start." Ryan Tannehill previously told Abramson Landry "has some of the strongest hands he's ever seen." Brian Hartline and Mike Wallace are entrenched on the outside, but there is opportunity for Landry in the slot. The slot position was heavily targeted by Ryan Tannehill in 2013.

Tannehill did throw a lot of targets to the slot but he'll have to beat out Gibson and Matthews, both of whom played well last year.

Brandon Gibson is also back from his knee injury (which, unlike Hartline's, required surgery). Some proclaim that Gibson is on the hot seat due to the depth at this position, but Gibson is a savvy route runner in the slot who was developing into one of Tannehill's favorite targets before his injury in Week 7 of last year. Gibson will likely pick up where he left off last season, but his role as slot receiver isn't guaranteed and he will likely be splitting reps.

Rishard Matthews replaced Gibson as the slot receiver last season and retained that role throughout OTAs. Matthews is a physical receiver with strong hands to make spectacular catches. Philbin singled out Matthews, a former seventh round pick, as one of the players who has made a huge leap this offseason. Expect Matthews to be one of the main redzone targets as well (depending on who makes the final 53-man roster).

Jarvis Landry, a second round pick from LSU, has had mixed reviews about his performances in summer workouts (still more good than bad), but the consensus is the same when discussing his future. Everyone I've talked to thinks Landry will be a star for the Dolphins, some going as far to say that Landry will be Tannehill's favorite target by the end of the season.

Camp Confidential: Miami Dolphins

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/133639/camp-confidential-miami-dolphins-5

Excerpt:

The biggest rookie standout so far has been second-round pick Jarvis Landry. The rookie wide receiver has displayed strong hands, solid routes and toughness. Landry is best in the slot where he can use his savvy and strong hands in traffic. He's made several of the most impressive catches so far of training camp. Landry is currently behind veteran slot receiver Brandon Gibson. Landry's also competing with Marcus Thigpen on punt returns

Boldin ran a 4.72 at the combine, and he turned out just fine.
Boldin is around 220 and was a tackle-breaking machine when he came into the league. Also, I don't think he was 100% at his Pro Day.

Landry is more like Hines Ward.
People have this idea that Ward was slow, he wasn't.
People have this idea that Landry is slow; he isn't.

He isn't a burner, but his 40 time at the combine was likely due to a hamstring injury.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/4/9/5598476/lsu-pro-day-results-zach-mettenberger-jarvis-landry-odell-beckham

I think the Hines Ward comparison is a bit premature as Hines was incredibly physical in all aspects of the game; we haven't seen that out of Landry yet.

IMO, at this point, Cecil Shorts is a better comparison. Similar size/speed, good hands, good route runner, question marks about his athleticism...and can be a fantasy WR2-3 in the right situation.

Rotoworld:

Dolphins second-round WR Jarvis Landry is getting a chance to return kicks and punts.
Miami would like somebody to unseat Marcus Thigpen as the return man so that it doesn't have to carry Thigpen on the 53-man roster as a strict returner. Landry is getting an opportunity and had a 48-yard punt return in the preseason opener. Landry is also in the mix for slot duties, though Brandon Gibson is the favorite.

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry - WR - Dolphins

Second-round rookie Jarvis Landry said he's now rotating in the slot position with Brandon Gibson.

We always expected Landry to overtake Gibson and Rishard Matthews at some point this season. It's a great sign that he's pushing so hard with more than two weeks to go before Week 1. Landry isn't on the re-draft radar yet, but he could certainly find himself there before the year is up. He's an ideal slot man in the mold of Hines Ward, and Ryan Tannehill showed a penchant for targeting that position last year.

Related: Brandon Gibson

Aug 20 - 12:25 PM

I like Landry in dynasty but it's hard to love anyone on Miami's offense. Their O-line is still a huge question mark IMO. I think he could have value as a flex though, but I'd hate to be leaning on him as a 2nd WR.

Quez said:
I like Landry in dynasty but it's hard to love anyone on Miami's offense. Their O-line is still a huge question mark IMO. I think he could have value as a flex though, but I'd hate to be leaning on him as a 2nd WR.
Bad O-line just means Tannehill has to pepper his slot receiver with short passes. That would be Landry (eventually).

Anyone taking a flier on this guy this week? Is this a guy who is emerging and what is his role? Slot receiver/PR or is he more than that? Hartline isnt exactly lighting it up as the #2.....

Anyone taking a flier on this guy this week? Is this a guy who is emerging and what is his role? Slot receiver/PR or is he more than that? Hartline isnt exactly lighting it up as the #2.....
Picked him up but won't be starting him this week. He has already been productive, and has just two fewer targets on the year than Hartline, despite only getting one target in week one. After his mini-breakout last week, I have to believe they will find more ways to work him into the game planning. Feeling good about him. I certainly don't think it's a bad move to start him this week, depending on your options. If your league credits return yardage, even better.

Rotoworld:

Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry is expected to see "significant action" against the Bears Week 7.

Landry broke out with five catches for 71 yards and a touchdown with starting slot receiver Brandon Gibson (hamstring) sidelined Week 6. Gibson is expected to return this week, but Landry's play likely earned him a few more snaps. Landry is not a starting fantasy option as long as Gibson is involved, but he is an excellent dynasty stash and has the talent to be a redraft factor this season.

Oct 18 - 12:00 PM

Rotoworld:

Dolphins declared WR Brandon Gibson, DB Jimmy Wilson, OG Shelley Smith, OT Jason Fox, DT Anthony Johnson, OG Billy Turner, and TE Gator Hoskins inactive for Week 7 against the Bears.

Gibson (hamstring, probable) is basically a healthy scratch. Rookie Jarvis Landry has pulled away from Gibson for slot duties, and Gibson doesn't play special teams. This will be Gibson's final year in Miami after ex-GMJeff Ireland handed him a three-year, $9.755 million deal two springs ago. Samson Satele will start at center for the Dolphins, with Mike Pouncey likely playing right guard.

Oct 19 - 11:32 AM

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry caught four passes for 46 yards in the Dolphins' Week 7 win over the Bears.

Landry has officially moved ahead of Brandon Gibson at slot receiver, as Gibson was a healthy scratch on Sunday. Landry was targeted five times on the afternoon as the No. 3 option in the passing game behind Mike Wallace and Charles Clay. He'll flirt with WR4/5 numbers with Tannehill strong as an intermediate passer.

Oct 19 - 5:31 PM

Rotoworld:

Brandon Gibson confirmed he's fallen behind Jarvis Landry on the depth chart.

"It was a decision that was made and there's nothing I can do," Gibson said. Asked if there was anything he could do to leap back ahead of Landry, Gibson replied, "Nothing probably." With a $4.5 million cap hit in 2015, Gibson's days with the Dolphins are numbered. Gibson says he hasn't requested a trade.

Source: Miami Herald
Oct 22 - 8:42 AM

I know this thread mentions dynasty, but what about in redraft (I don't want to waste the good info in this thread by starting a new one for redraft)? Landry has moved up to #3 and is playing in the slot. The last few weeks Hartline's looks are down. He has pretty good size, runs routes extremely well, has great hands, and has produced the last three weeks...came up one yard shy of another TD last week. For all the talk about him being slow (based on combine 40, which wasn't good obviously), he must be elusive as he is returning both kicks and punts for Miami.

Tannehill is heating up and Miami looks like a team on the rise this season. They have Jax this week.

I'm thinking Landry is a good bet this week and has a chance to be at least a WR3 the rest of the way. Am I overrating him? Now he has posted 7 NFL game tapes to show his true ability to compete at his level...that trumps mostly everything before the season began (including combine, pro day, and college tape).

He has cracked the top 50 WR in most rankings now and has passed all the WR competition in Miami but Wallace and Hartline by mid-season as a rookie. Personally from a redraft perspective, I would currently rank him significantly above Hartline at this point among Dolphins.

WR3 in redraft going forward? Can he get to WR2?

From Pro Football Talk:

Wide receiver Jarvis Landry couldn’t do enough to beat out Sammy Watkins as the NFL’s offensive rookie of the month for October, but his performance for the month still earned him some honors from the league.

Landry has been named the AFC special teams player of the month. Landry averaged 35.6 yards per kickoff return for the month, which was good for second-best in the league in October, and also had four punt returns for 16 yards.

Landry is averaging 31.3 yards per return for the season, which is the best in the league among regular returners and would be the best in Dolphins franchise history if Landry is able to keep it up for the entire season.

The Dolphins made Landry the 63rd pick in the draft in May and he’s settled into a role on offense in addition to his kick return duties. Landry has 25 catches for 255 yards and a touchdown, which is short of Watkins territory while still being a second way that he’s making the Dolphins’ decision to add him to the roster look like a smart one.

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry caught five passes for 46 yards and one touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 9 win over the Chargers.

Landry was targeted six times and has emerged as the clear No. 2 receiver to Mike Wallace. He's so much better as a real-life player who runs great routes and knows how to get open. Landry capped off the Dolphins' 37-0 win by scoring from 14 yards out late in the third quarter. He did a great job post-catch to sneak inside the front left pylon. Landry is merely a WR4/5.

Nov 2 - 5:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry caught 7-of-10 targets for 53 yards in Miami's Week 10 loss to the Lions.

Landry's 10 targets led the team, while the seven catches were the most of his young NFL career. Landry has blown by Brian Hartline for No. 2 duties, but limited to check downs and chain-moving looks, he's nothing more than a WR4/5 for re-draft purposes.

Nov 9 - 6:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry caught 5-of-5 targets for 46 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 11 win over the Bills.

The five-catch effort was Landry's third straight, though it wasn't a perfect night for the second-round rookie. Landry coughed the ball up on a fourth-quarter punt return, setting the Bills up in Dolphins' territory. Thankfully for his sake, the Bills couldn't turn the turnover into points, and Landry atoned with his third score of the season on the Dolphins' very next drive. He made a nice move at the goal line, getting the ball across the plane before losing control. Landry is racking up receptions, but averaging just 40 receiving yards per game. He's not a legitimate WR3 consideration outside of PPR leagues.

Since the Week 5 bye he's averaging 15pts/6 targets a game in my PPR/return yard league. Don't know how this offense will limit his ceiling but I feel like he's becoming a lock for at least double digit points each week.

Since the Week 5 bye he's averaging 15pts/6 targets a game in my PPR/return yard league. Don't know how this offense will limit his ceiling but I feel like he's becoming a lock for at least double digit points each week.
I am in the same type of league and he has been a great flex guy.

Pretty much what I thought Patterson would be but without the big play threat.

I ended up cutting Landry for Stills, when in doubt I have to keep telling myself, pick the guy with the better offense/QB.

I ended up cutting Landry for Stills, when in doubt I have to keep telling myself, pick the guy with the better offense/QB.
You may want to update your notebook - the Saints offense sucks this season. They are playing a totally uninspired brand of football and Brees looks like second coming of Alex Smith.

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry caught 7-of-11 targets for 50 yards and two touchdowns in Miami's Week 12 loss to the Broncos.

The two-score day was the first of Landry's career, and gives him four touchdowns over his past four games. Landry has been doing work at the short-to-intermediate levels, flashing extremely strong hands. He doesn't have many yards to show for it (450), but is averaging six catches over his past four games. Landry is a high-floor, low-ceiling WR3/4.

Nov 23 - 8:18 PM

What's this? 7/50/2 and this thread is on page 3? C'mon people!
Have him in a return league and he's saving me. He's not as explosive as his counterpart from LSU Beckham, but has great hands and runs nice routes. Would like to see the snap count. I still see Gibson out there for some reason...

Still may be a buy low opportunity here. Dynasty ranks still have him quite low. I think he's a great bet for 80-90 catches next year. It may be for about 1000 yards, but in PPR, with a handful of TDs that's 13-14PPG. Top 25.

He is a great YAC runner and his vision in general has been terrific. I think he is due for a return TD and what better time to do it then during MNF next week.

Users who are viewing this thread